Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,344 members, 7,836,414 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? (783 Views)

Is The Atheist's Mind Free Enough To Question Atheism? / 5 Old Beliefs Of Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Which He Latter Abandoned / Who Are You To Question God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by bytemeister(m): 5:30pm On Nov 12, 2015
Arguably, there is no stronger belief than one’s religion. What would it take for you to entertain the thought that you – and the other followers of your religion – could be wrong?
Many people will (hopefully… eventually) change their beliefs on a subject after enough contradictory evidence emerges. Why? Because sometimes the evidence is so solid and undeniable that it is easier to give up their belief or worldview than having to constantly generate excuses why the evidence is false.
Nothing in this world should be immune to scrutiny, and that includes religion.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by hahn(m): 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2015
A lot of things come into play here. The very thought that one might have been wrong all these years and most especially that one's parents(our beliefs are most likely imposed on us by them) might be wrong is what most people dread.

How can you suddenly come to the conclusion that your parents are wrong and have been deluded all this while? How do you tell them? Will they listen? What will people think? What if one is wrong and god does exists, then I'll be going to hell fire? If one is wrong, god might never bless one and one will have to live his life in poverty and misery etc.

These are some of the psycological questions that need to be overcome before one can challenge one's own belief and subject it to scrutiny.

However, it would be ignorant not to question ones beliefs because afterall, we are all humans and it is very possible for us to make mistakes therefore it is necessary to question the norm in order to create room for development.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by yomi007k(m): 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2015
Yes I have the courage n already done dat....

Some ppl hate me for that, others fear me. But it is wat it is. Wat works for me, don't work 4 dem,

Different folks
Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by UyiIredia(m): 7:20pm On Nov 12, 2015
I have done that the best I can. I pretended being an atheist, became a deist and rejected Christianity and at the end of it all I never stopped believing in God and still returned to Christ. I'm certainly a very different Christian from the one that came to Nairaland but in the end faith wins.

1 Like

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by bytemeister(m): 7:37pm On Nov 12, 2015
UyiIredia:
I have done that the best I can. I pretended being an atheist, became a deist and rejected Christianity and at the end of it all I never stopped believing in God and still returned to Christ. I'm certainly a very different Christian from the one that came to Nairaland but in the end faith wins.

and what exactly do u think "faith"means? bro having faith in something doesn't make that thing rue,it doesn't even make it probably true, it means you'd believe it even if it's not true-as sed by his holiness GURU JOHNNYDON22

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by UyiIredia(m): 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2015
bytemeister:

and what exactly do u think "faith"means? bro having faith in something doesn't make that thing rue,it doesn't even make it probably true, it means you'd believe it even if it's not true-as sed by his holiness GURU JOHNNYDON22

Faith simply means belief and everybody believes in something. It is based on belief a person works towards a vision against all odds.
Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by bytemeister(m): 7:57pm On Nov 12, 2015
UyiIredia:

Faith simply means belief and everybody believes in something. It is based on belief a person works towards a vision against all odds.

faith means belief? bro no doubt both are intertwined but they definitely aren't d same...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by johnydon22(m): 9:01pm On Nov 12, 2015
UyiIredia:

Can you define Belief for us?

And does your belief in anything make it true?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by malvisguy212: 10:10pm On Nov 12, 2015
bytemeister:

I need evidence from the bible, were God commanded us to believe and don't ask questions.

Skepticism is important to the christian faith, John the baptist who soppose to believe Jesus is the messiah, John still have doubt at some point, that is why he send his disciples to ask Jesus "are you the messiah?"Jesus did not condemned him, instead He performed miracle in their prescence as proof. Thomas ask questions, infact, there was a time all the disciples complained in matthew 18:27. Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?" .
The bible advice us to test every Spirit and see if they are from God.
Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 12, 2015
If only you can voice out without being called an atheist or a fake christian.

If only
Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 12, 2015
UyiIredia:
you PRETENDED? is this some sort of joke? you think atheism is some kind of funny game? damn, NO!
people become atheists when they properly evaluate all evidence with a rational mind while not fearing the outcome. you still believe in this God because you don't have the courage to live with the knowledge that you are just another human who is only here for a short time and will soon be forgotten forever. you still believe in this God because you lack the courage and rationality to STOP believing in him.
Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by johnydon22(m): 11:28pm On Nov 12, 2015
SirWere:
If only you can voice out without being called an atheist or a fake christian.

If only
I think you have every right to voice out your grievances and your issues with anything you are into..

For the name calling; I take it you mean you care more about people's opinion about you than your own opinion of you.

If not then i see no reason why you can't voice out.

I always tell people. . .I am responsible for what i write, people are responsible for what they understand. . . (Have always noticed people understand what they choose to)

I have only to write, not supposed to understand it for people. . . .Voice out i pray you... Lets hear your own mind, we each deserve and have that right..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Have The Courage To Question Your Beliefs And Worldview? by bytemeister(m): 12:09am On Nov 13, 2015
johnydon22:

I think you have every right to voice out your grievances and your issues with anything you are into..

For the name calling; I take it you mean you care more about people's opinion about you than your own opinion of you.

If not then i see no reason why you can't voice out.

I always tell people. . .I am responsible for what i write, people are responsible for what they understand. . . (Have always noticed people understand what they choose to)

I am only to right, not supposed to understand it for people. . . .Voice i pray you... Lets hear your own mind, we each deserve and have that right..

sure we do

(1) (Reply)

Myths Of Atheism / Pictures You Surely Never Saw On MASS MEDIA Before / Speaking In Tongue Is Not What People Seems It Is.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.