Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,933 members, 7,956,509 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:06 PM

A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow (761 Views)

Nigerians Saw A Self-Driving Car For The First Time & Mobbed The Car (Pic,Video) / Help!! This Car Was Stolen In Onitsha This Morning (Photo) / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by wearobo: 4:02pm On Nov 14, 2015
In May, one of our ardent readers who resides in California shared his own take on the behavior of Google fully autonomous cars among other drivers and road users in the state. In his piece, which, of course, went viral after we published it, the Californian resident wrote that Google driverless cars drive like your grandma.

That's because ''they're never the first off the line at a stop light, they don't accelerate quickly, they don't speed, and they never take any chances with lane changes'' and drive slowly at locations where they can't see clearly in order to get their bearing right, according to the poster. However this act sometimes piss off other drivers because Google cars cause traffic congestion. And one of them was pull over on Thursday for this same reason.

Mountain View Police Department revealed in a blog post Thursday that one of its traffic police ordered a Google self-driving car that was being tested on Californian roads to move to the side of the road for driving 25 miles per hour in a 35 miles per hour zone and, as a result,the driverless electric vehicle was building up traffic as other cars waited behind for it to go. In other words, the Google car was driving slowly. -

According to the MVPD, the officer noticed traffic stacking up behind a white koala vehicle. So he walked up to the vehicle responsible for this but realized it was a Google self-driving car that was the real culprit. He then pulled over the Google autonomous car and spoke with the safety driver to learn more about how the car was choosing speeds along certain roadways and to educate the operators about impeding traffic per 22400(a) of the California Vehicle Code. '

The Google self-driving cars operate under the Neighborhood Electric Vehicle Definition per 385.5 of the California Vehicle Code and can only be operated on roadways with speed limits at or under 35 mph. In this case, it was lawful for the car to be traveling on the street as El Camino Real is rated at 35 mph.

Google itself confirmed the incident in a post on its project handle on Plus and noted that human drivers get away with this crime.Google also said that it decided to make its car that drive themselves at 25 MPH for security reasons(like being approachable). It also boasted that officers like the one that pull over its car on Thursday do so when they want to learn more about +Google Self-Driving Car Project . grin

Credit http://www.wearobo.com/2015/11/a-traffic-police-pull-over-google.html#sthash.CGm7XmEt.dpuf

Re: A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by zieraw2005(m): 4:02pm On Nov 14, 2015
Lols. Zieraw again
Re: A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by wearobo: 4:26pm On Nov 14, 2015
I don't care if theses cars are slow so long as they are safe, reduce the number of road accidents and take me from point A to point B without me touching that boring steering wheel, they are welcomed.
Re: A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by Fulaman198(m): 5:09pm On Nov 14, 2015
wearobo:
I don't care if theses cars are slow so long as they are safe, reduce the number of road accidents and take me from point A to point B without me touching that boring steering wheel, they are welcomed.

Safe also meaning that it can't be hacked right? That's something we have to worry about today in this modern age unfortunately.
Re: A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by abatically(m): 6:10pm On Nov 14, 2015
wearobo:

Overspending is dangerous, moving too slowly on the highway is equally dangerous.
Re: A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by Nobody: 12:50am On Nov 15, 2015
These cars are limited to inner city roads with speeds of up to 35mph, El Camino Real is not a highway.
Re: A Self-driving Google Car Was Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow by tweetsme(m): 4:14pm On Nov 16, 2015
grin grin cc lalasticlala ishilove

(1) (Reply)

Please A Question About Scooters / Mods Why Are Complaint & Scam threads taken Down? / Hilarious Picture Of An Overloaded Raodsafety Pickup Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.