Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time (996 Views)

Biafra Has Not Been Defeated – Wole Soyinka / Governor Fayose's Prediction On Bukola Saraki Has Come To Pass. (see Screenshot) / Pro-jonathan Elements Behind Renewed Agitation For Biafra - Senator Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by onnetcas(m): 12:10am On Nov 16, 2015
Whenever I come online these days, I hardly go 5 steps without seeing statements like "let Biafra go" "Nigeria is a mistake" "we've not been treated right we want to leave"

We have known the igbo nation to be a very determined tribe- an igbo man is that man who would do almost anything and go any length to get what he wants. They will continue to fight till they get Biafra, I have no doubt about their qualities.

but here are my fears

First and foremost, I wasn't born when the civil war was fought but I asked questions, read books about the war and talked to people who experienced it first hand, to be frank, the experience wasn't a pleasant one. I understand that any region can break out from Nigeria without resorting to war but my fear is that the present crop of igbo leaders we have today don't mean well for the igbo tribe, they are selfish and are only after their pockets.

If Biafra had succeeded in 1967, it probably would have been a great country because the leaders those days meant well for their people but today, same can't be said of the present crop of leaders you have.

You keep complaining that Nigeria has done nothing for the Igbos; which of the tribes and region has Nigeria favoured anyway? You need to go deep into the north to see the rot there, though they have had more past presidents than any other region.

Even the Niger Delta producing the oil that we feed on isn't any better, they recently had a president from that region but that didn't change their situation.

The west is a little bit developed because they've had thoughtful leaders in the past who meant well for their people. Till today the yorubas are still benefitting from the legacies of people like Obafemi Awolowo and Lateef Jakande.

Recently, we have been talking about Lagos as one of the best states in Nigeria but one man called Fashola and his team made it work. These yoruba leaders I mentioned weren't presidents of this great country, they were mere governors/premiers but made their impact felt.

My dear igbo brothers, what have your leaders done for your region especially in the post war era? The only problem I will have with Nigeria is if you can prove that it hasn't been giving the east the necessary allocations it gives the other regions. Instead of blaming Nigeria, blame your post war era leaders for the misfortune that has befallen the east recently.

If Biafra breaks today, the same crop of leaders that have caused the rot in the east would be the same set to rule over you. Is that what you really want?

My next point is this- I can't help but feel bad that the present freedom fighters are just fighting without thinking of the future. They are just going about this without calculating and without thinking about the fact that a natural igbo man thrives more outside his territory.

Being impulsive in a struggle like this isn't the best way to go. Before going into a fight like this, have you thought about the long term implications and are you ready for the task that lies ahead?

I have asked some of these fighters about their long term plans for Biafra but none seem to be able to give me any concrete plan as to how they intend to tackle the future, some others believe that there is crude oil in Biafra and it's enough to sustain them.

Now let's thrash out the issue of oil

The last time I checked, the oil producing states aren't in the east and thinking these states would agree to form a certain Biafra is like living in delusion. Who wants to leave the post of minority and still form a country where they would still be minority.

I did my NYSC in Cross River state and from what I observed through the questions I asked, these guys aren't ready to form Biafra because they felt they weren't carried along during the war and Biafra made them to suffer for nothing.

Have you ever thought of the fact that the natural igbo man is very enterprising and they succeed more when outside their lands? We have so many millionaire and billionaire igbo businessmen who have businesses in Lagos, Abuja and other big cities. Have you ever sat down to think about what would happen to these guys if Nigeria breaks especially if the break up is an unfriendly one?

Let's leave the millionaire businessmen for a moment and think about those who have smaller shops and hustling really hard to make money to send home to their poor parents. What would happen to these set of people?

Like my neighbour who has two shops in Lagos and she's the breadwinner of her family, she's doing well for herself in Lagos and using whatever she gets to help her family in the village. What would happen to this young enterprising lady who is just 23 years of age if Biafra goes?

Lastly, the Igbos themselves have a problem with each other; an anambra man would say the most atrocious thing about an Imo man and vice versa. Even within the same Imo, an Mbaise man doesn't roll well with an Owerri man. I have seen several cases of these situations but I don't want to give illustrations so I don't make this article any longer. Even the bible says "can two live together except they agree?

I'm not against the fact that Biafra wants to go but my main concern is what happens thereafter. I see this fight as an impulsive fight, many other things and structures aren't just in place. My fear is what happens in the next 5-10 years after biafra is formed.

Like I said before, you should hold your post war era leaders responsible instead of blaming Nigeria as a whole.

You also need to understand that Nigeria itself hasn't been favourable to any region. The west that is currently kind of developed was due to the hardwork and selflessness of the western leaders like Awolowo.

My dear Igbo brothers, we always say that the other tribes hate us but have we ever tried showing love to them. Love is very powerful, when you give it, you naturally receive it in return, when you also give hate, you receive hate in return.

I have stayed with yoruba people and I can boldly say that they are one the most accommodating and welcoming tribes in Nigeria.

My best pals in cross river were corpers from the north; these guys were very wonderful to me not minding the tribe. I started loving the northerners after I came in contact with these guys in calabar.

As an Igboman, have you tried being accommodating to other tribes?

If the right things are done by the Igbo leaders, the east can be great without ever needing to leave Nigeria.

Like we learned in Business 101 about the power of synergy where one plus one can give us 10, we can work together to make Nigeria the greatest country on earth. This is a feat one part or region cannot and will never achieve on it's own.

Don't let the greed of a small part lead you into doing something you will end up regretting later.

I'm calling on the igbos, the yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis, Tiv, Efiks, Ibibios and all the other tribes in Nigeria to come together, see each other as brothers instead of enemies. Why can't we just see each other as humans, as Nigerians with a common goal of greatness?

Our diversity should be an advantage and not a problem, if only we can harness the power of our diversity, we should be at par with countries like China and the United States.

Let's begin to leave sentiments aside and support leaders that will move us forward. We should stop supporting leaders base on tribe or region or religion but based on their intentions.

I believe in one Nigeria, I believe in the synergistic power of staying as one.

God bless Nigeria

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by EasternPride: 12:26am On Nov 16, 2015
As long as u ended ur rant with "One Nigeria".

I just have this message for you....

Fall and Die.

4 Likes

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by onnetcas(m): 12:31am On Nov 16, 2015
EasternPride:
As long as u ended ur rant with "One Nigeria".

I just have this message for you....

Fall and Die.

As long as you continue with such hate and hateful words.... you will never see the light and truth. I believe you really don't know what you are doing yet until it will dawn on you.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by leleblaze: 12:34am On Nov 16, 2015
raayah:
French fighter planes have dropped 20 bombs on the Islamic State (IS) stronghold of Raqqa in northern Syria.

The bombers hit a jihadi recruitment centre, training camp and arms depot run by the extremist group, according to the French defence ministry.

A spokesman described it as a "massive" attack and France's biggest to date in Syria.

Raqqa in Syria is an Islamic State stronghold
The aerial raid was launched from air bases in United Arab Emirates and Jordan, and involved France's 12 fighter bombers based there.

It follows Friday's terror attacks which left 132 people dead in the French capital.

ISIS fighters said they carried out the gun and bomb massacre - calling Paris "the capital of prostitution and obscenity".

Sky's Sam Kiley, in northern Iraq, said the French airstrikes should not be seen as a "wanton act of revenge" or carpet-bombing campaign.

"I think it's very clear that the French and the wider coalition have decided in a sense to give France the iron fist at least for the next 24 hours or so," he said.

The coalition has a number of targets of opportunity, targets provided by intelligence.

"The scale of these French airstrikes should not be seen as a wanton act of revenge, but really the French basically saying to their allies, 'we want to do all of the airstrikes' over the next period of time - however long that may be."

Kiley added: "I think essentially what's gone on here is the coalition have said 'this is your turn to hit back as France rather than as the coalition'.

"But I don't think this should be seen as some kind of carpet-bombing campaign.

"These are extremely precise airstrikes that are carried out after exhaustive legal processes required under French and international law."

The French raids follow US airstrikes on Raqqa last week which reportedly killed the British militant Mohammed Emwazi, known as "Jihadi John".

Emwazi appeared in a series of videos killing several Western hostages, including Britons David Haines and Alan Henning.

He is also thought to have beheaded Americans James Foley, Steven Sotloff and Abdul-Rahman Kassig, and Japanese journalist Kenji Goto.

A Pentagon spokesman said later it was "reasonably certain" Emwazi had been killed by a Hellfire missile from a drone.
woo too early, I taught france is still mourning.
Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by Nobody: 12:43am On Nov 16, 2015
onnetcas:
Whenever I come online these days, I hardly go 5 steps without seeing statements like "let Biafra go" "Nigeria is a mistake" "we've not been treated right we want to leave"

We have known the igbo nation to be a very determined tribe- an igbo man is that man who would do almost anything and go any length to get what he wants. They will continue to fight till they get Biafra, I have no doubt about their qualities.

but here are my fears

First and foremost, I wasn't born when the civil war was fought but I asked questions, read books about the war and talked to people who experienced it first hand, to be frank, the experience wasn't a pleasant one. I understand that any region can break out from Nigeria without resorting to war but my fear is that the present crop of igbo leaders we have today don't mean well for the igbo tribe, they are selfish and are only after their pockets.

If Biafra had succeeded in 1967, it probably would have been a great country because the leaders those days meant well for their people but today, same can't be said of the present crop of leaders you have.

You keep complaining that Nigeria has done nothing for the Igbos; which of the tribes and region has Nigeria favoured anyway? You need to go deep into the north to see the rot there, though they have had more past presidents than any other region.

Even the Niger Delta producing the oil that we feed on isn't any better, they recently had a president from that region but that didn't change their situation.

The west is a little bit developed because they've had thoughtful leaders in the past who meant well for their people. Till today the yorubas are still benefitting from the legacies of people like Obafemi Awolowo and Lateef Jakande.

Recently, we have been talking about Lagos as one of the best states in Nigeria but one man called Fashola and his team made it work. These yoruba leaders I mentioned weren't presidents of this great country, they were mere governors/premiers but made their impact felt.

My dear igbo brothers, what have your leaders done for your region especially in the post war era? The only problem I will have with Nigeria is if you can prove that it hasn't been giving the east the necessary allocations it gives the other regions. Instead of blaming Nigeria, blame your post war era leaders for the misfortune that has befallen the east recently.

If Biafra breaks today, the same crop of leaders that have caused the rot in the east would be the same set to rule over you. Is that what you really want?

My next point is this- I can't help but feel bad that the present freedom fighters are just fighting without thinking of the future. They are just going about this without calculating and without thinking about the fact that a natural igbo man thrives more outside his territory.

Being impulsive in a struggle like this isn't the best way to go. Before going into a fight like this, have you thought about the long term implications and are you ready for the task that lies ahead?

I have asked some of these fighters about their long term plans for Biafra but none seem to be able to give me any concrete plan as to how they intend to tackle the future, some others believe that there is crude oil in Biafra and it's enough to sustain them.

The last time I checked, the oil producing states aren't in the east and thinking these states would agree to form a certain Biafra is like living in delusion. Who wants to leave the post of minority and still form a country where they would still be minority.

I did my NYSC in Cross River state and from what I observed through the questions I asked, these guys aren't ready to form Biafra because they felt they weren't carried along during the war and Biafra made them to suffer for nothing.

Have you ever thought of the fact that the natural igbo man is very enterprising and they succeed more when outside their lands? We have so many millionaire and billionaire igbo businessmen who have businesses in Lagos, Abuja and other big cities. Have you ever sat down to think about what would happen to these guys if Nigeria breaks especially if the break up is an unfriendly one?

Let's leave the millionaire businessmen for a moment and think about those who have smaller shops and hustling really hard to make money to send home to their poor parents. What would happen to these set of people?

Like my neighbour who has two shops in Lagos and she's the breadwinner of her family, she's doing well for herself in Lagos and using whatever she gets to help her family in the village. What would happen to this young enterprising lady who is just 23 years of age if Biafra goes?

Lastly, the Igbos themselves have a problem with each other; an anambra man would say the most atrocious thing about an Imo man and vice versa. Even within the same Imo, an Mbaise man doesn't roll well with an Owerri man. I have seen several cases of these situations but I don't want to give illustrations so I don't make this article any longer. Even the bible says "can two live together except they agree?

I'm not against the fact that Biafra wants to go but my main concern is what happens thereafter. I see this fight as an impulsive fight, many other things and structures aren't just in place. My fear is what happens in the next 5-10 years after biafra is formed.

Like I said before, you should hold your post war era leaders responsible instead of blaming Nigeria as a whole.

You also need to understand that Nigeria itself hasn't been favourable to any region. The west that is currently kind of developed was due to the hardwork and selflessness of the western leaders like Awolowo.

My dear Igbo brothers, we always say that the other tribes hate us but have we ever tried showing love to them. Love is very powerful, when you give it, you naturally receive it in return, when you also give hate, you receive hate in return.

I have stayed with yoruba people and I can boldly say that they are one the most accommodating and welcoming tribes in Nigeria.

My best pals in cross river were corpers from the north; these guys were very wonderful to me not minding the tribe. I started loving the northerners after I came in contact with these guys in calabar.

If the right things are done by the Igbo leaders, the east can be great without ever needing to leave Nigeria.

Like we learned in Business 101 about the power of synergy where one plus one can give us 10, we can work together to make Nigeria the greatest country on earth. This is a feat one part or region cannot and will never achieve on it's own.

Don't let the greed of a small part lead you into doing something you will end up regretting later.

I'm calling on the igbos, the yorubas, Hausas, Fulanis, Tiv, Efiks, Ibibios and all the other tribes in Nigeria to come together, see each other as brothers instead of enemies. Why can't we just see each other as humans, as Nigerians with a common goal of greatness?

Our diversity should be an advantage and not a problem, if only we can harness the power of our diversity, we should be at par with countries like China and the United States.

Let's begin to leave sentiments aside and support leaders that will move us forward. We should stop supporting leaders base on tribe or region or religion but based on their intentions.

God bless Nigeria
even if you were constructive,still,dont say that rubbish of Anambra badmouthing imo peeps again. don't say it again,you're just overblowing a silly issue that's not nearly as widespread as you're trying to portray. just drop it already. gosh. lemme ask you. in a biafra of tomorrow do you honestly think Anambra this or imo that will be a problem. oh please. There's a reason igbos speak with one voice. we love each other dearly.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by onnetcas(m): 12:52am On Nov 16, 2015
aristodavid:

even if you were constructive,still,dont say that rubbish of Anambra badmouthing imo peeps again. don't say it again,you're just overblowing a silly issue that's not nearly as widespread as you're trying to portray. just drop it already. gosh. lemme ask you. in a biafra of tomorrow do you honestly think Anambra this or imo that will be a problem. oh please. There's a reason igbos speak with one voice. we love each other dearly.

You won't understand until biafra finally gets it's freedom.... That's when you
will get to see that the solution to the problem wasn't breaking up in the first place.

This is just an impulsive fight with no concrete direction.

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by Curlieweed: 1:01am On Nov 16, 2015
onnetcas:

will get to see that the solution to the problem wasn't breaking up in the first place.

I understand what you mean. Just when Tinubu is about to finally sink his arthritic fingers and rotten brown teeth into the national cake ( after failing in 2003 and 2011), some "miscreants" are screaming secession.

It cannot happen, oh.

5 Likes

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by Money40: 1:03am On Nov 16, 2015
Yolloba writing long epistle to change already made up minds, soon our Lagos Ipob will kick off, secondly we Biafrans want peaceful disintegration of this country so why do you ppl bring in war into Biafra discussion always? Must you go to war to keep people who you don't like and don't like you neither, tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by magmack: 1:07am On Nov 16, 2015
onnetcas:

but here are my fears

God bless Nigeria

Nonsense. Go to hell with ur fraud n evil republic. PUSSY CAT. Zoo man

1 Like

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by Nobody: 1:12am On Nov 16, 2015
Curlieweed:

I understand what you mean. Just when Tinubu is about to finally sink his arthritic fingers and rotten brown teeth into the national cake ( after failing in 2003 and 2011), some "miscreants" are screaming secession.

It cannot happen, oh.

HAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHHAAHAH. I JUST WOKE THE NEIGHBORS!!

1 Like

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 16, 2015
onnetcas:

if that is your stand no problem. dont just bring up that Anambra imo thing. its not very good thank you

1 Like

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by Pavore9: 1:32am On Nov 16, 2015
Everyone has his/her own opinion.
Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by EasternLion: 1:48am On Nov 16, 2015
Curlieweed:

It cannot happen, oh.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by ezeagu(m): 1:54am On Nov 16, 2015
Curlieweed:

It cannot happen, oh.

Chai! I chori gbu madu?

2 Likes

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by i8sins(m): 2:11am On Nov 16, 2015
Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by LoveMachine(m): 2:18am On Nov 16, 2015
All this hate is unhealthy. What have we become?
Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by dned: 3:46am On Nov 16, 2015
@op

you said the sw region is well developed? Apart from Lagos which other states in that region can survive without fed allocation?

As for Lagos, its development is as a result of revenues within the state. And don't think Lagos made itself.

The fed govt cited virtually all economic and political institutions that made the state attract immigrants from all other parts of Nigeria hence its population and market. Mind u even all d states in the sw regions have its indigenes migrate massively to Lagos. Has the fed govt given any Eastern state such opportunity... why comparing their performance to that of Lagos? How much is left with a governor in the east after its recurrent expenditures?

You think if the fed govt sited these in Ondo or Rivers and spend heavy on it who will be migrating to Lagos.

Have you noticed the influx of ppl into Abuja? If yes then you understand me.

YOU said Igbo should show love to others. if u live I Lagos and doing business there and you are not Yoruba you will definitely pay more than your Yoruba neighbors to the council authorities and agberos. what kind of love do u want an IBO to show. Is it not enough by their investment and trades, real estates and accommodation and jobs they provide? Both in the North too.

Yoruba's e-propaganda to make SS see their SE brothers as wanting to lord over them can't hold waters.
mind you se or ss is artificial. calabar and Akwa Ibom is core east geographical. We know Eastern Nigerian, the Midwest was divided and the east and west got their Delta and Edo respectively.

U.S did to Germany because they pose threat to them even with Russia (USSR) But Germans reunited. The average Nigerian in the sw or the north knew the strength of the se and SS together.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Fight For Biafra Has Come At A Very Wrong Time by onnetcas(m): 7:54am On Nov 16, 2015
dned:
@op

you said the sw region is well developed? Apart from Lagos which other states in that region can survive without fed allocation?

As for Lagos, its development is as a result of revenues within the state. And don't think Lagos made itself.

The fed govt cited virtually all economic and political institutions that made the state attract immigrants from all other parts of Nigeria hence its population and market. Mind u even all d states in the sw regions have its indigenes migrate massively to Lagos. Has the fed govt given any Eastern state such opportunity... why comparing their performance to that of Lagos? How much is left with a governor in the east after its recurrent expenditures?

You think if the fed govt sited these in Ondo or Rivers and spend heavy on it who will be migrating to Lagos.

Have you noticed the influx of ppl into Abuja? If yes then you understand me.

YOU said Igbo should show love to others. if u live I Lagos and doing business there and you are not Yoruba you will definitely pay more than your Yoruba neighbors to the council authorities and agberos. what kind of love do u want an IBO to show. Is it not enough by their investment and trades, real estates and accommodation and jobs they provide? Both in the North too.

Yoruba's e-propaganda to make SS see their SE brothers as wanting to lord over them can't hold waters.
mind you se or ss is artificial. calabar and Akwa Ibom is core east geographical. We know Eastern Nigerian, the Midwest was divided and the east and west got their Delta and Edo respectively.

U.S did to Germany because they pose threat to them even with Russia (USSR) But Germans reunited. The average Nigerian in the sw or the north knew the strength of the se and SS together.

While some of your points are valid most of them aren't entirely true.

I don't have a problem with biafra breaking out but the reasons tendered for such a huge commitment is disheartening.

The fight for biafra is kind of vague, no vision. All I see are impulsive freedom fighters. You guys aren't thinking things through and you expect south south to join a visionless struggle? E go shock una like high tension.

Calabar might be in the east as you claimed but this people aren't ready to become biafrans. If you doubt me, go into calabar and take a survey. Abi una go make them jon biafra by force?

The truth is, if biafra finally breaks out, the same issue you had as Nigerians would continue because the foundation of this struggle is extremely faulty.

I admire the strong will of the igbo people but at this time, it is being channeled in the wrong direction.

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO: Shame Unto Nigeria Fire Service Commission / See How Ex DG Of NIMASA Spent Our Money - Video! / Guard Of Honour & A Massive Crowd Reception 4 APC Umana Umana in Akwa Ibom(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.