Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads (3656 Views)

Photos of Peace Corps New National Headquarters In Abuja / FASHOLA Must Not Use Generator For One Month - Ben Murray Bruce / BREAKING: Fashola Must See This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by egift(m): 9:25pm On Nov 16, 2015
If only the OP mentioned Tonto, this would have made it to FP.

OP great idea. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by Gbawe: 9:55pm On Nov 16, 2015
docadams:
I am surprised this has not hit front page while 'Davido sits in first class' remains there forever.
Seun, Mods you're acting too slow for the change phenomenon.
Do the needful, pls!

Really annoying. Next minute these same youths who are only interested in frivolous and petty news and gossip will say they are marginalised and excluded from leadership. Nigerian youths need to step up their game. If you want to have the money to attend Davido concerts then equally pay attention to the politics that determine your access to jobs, adequate transport, healthcare et al that will ensure there is a healthy balance between work and play.

Nigerian youths need to understand that it is still their civic duty to hold leaders accountable and play a self-determining part in the shaping of their own destiny. I would hope this sort of topic is put on the front page because I know political leaders view and even use Nairaland. We then move on the the next problem which is the reality of how Nairalanders, majority who are Nigerian youths by age, may simply not be interested in this topic as they are about who Tonto Dike's new boyfriend is.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by docadams: 10:57pm On Nov 16, 2015
Gbawe:

Really annoying. Next minute these same youths who are only interested in frivolous and petty news and gossip will say they are marginalised and excluded from leadership. Nigerian youths need to step up their game. If you want to have the money to attend Davido concerts then equally pay attention to the politics that determine your access to jobs, adequate transport, healthcare et al that will ensure there is a healthy balance between work and play.

Nigerian youths need to understand that it is still their civic duty to hold leaders accountable and play a self-determining part in the shaping of their own destiny. I would hope this sort of topic is put on the front page because I know political leaders view and even use Nairaland. We then move on the the next problem which is the reality of how Nairalanders, majority who are Nigerian youths by age, may simply not be interested in this topic as they are about who Tonto Dike's new boyfriend is.

My brother, I just can't but pity the person who wears the crown in this country at the moment. The greatest challenge facing us as a nation, I think, is the deranged psyche of the populace. Wahala de o!!

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by themilanway(m): 11:08pm On Nov 16, 2015
Anyone know Fashola's twitter handle?I think sending a link to this thread might do a lot of wonders to every body.

Gbawe,I think people like you can/will make Fayemi's work easier and plausible.

Eye popping threads as regards the links you posted.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by mikolo80: 11:13pm On Nov 16, 2015
Rossikk:
Mr Fashola must set new standards for our urban roads. He should initiate a nationwide standard for such roads which all states must meet henceforth, ie EVERY road built in an urban area must have:

1) Covered drainage
2) Pedestrian sidewalks
3) Road markings and signs
4) Street lights
5) Bicycle lanes where appropriate (eg on major roads)

Any new road construction which does not comply with the new national standard will be rejected and its builders investigated.

The law, backed by the National Assembly, will operate retroactively, ie all states will be obliged to commence compliance with the new standard on already existing roads, in addition to new constructions.

Mr Fashola will write his name in gold in terms of infrastructure if he can enthrone this new national urban road standard.
e easy na im him no do am for Lagos. dude is a politician. will do just enough to put pdp to shame. but half bread still better than puff puff

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by mikolo80: 11:16pm On Nov 16, 2015
docadams:

My brother, I just can't but pity the person who wears the crown in this country at the moment. The greatest challenge facing us as a nation, I think, is the deranged psyche of the populace. Wahala de o!!
calm down Shiaman, if lagosians could start to queue for brt within six months,then it's not as bad as it looks. Just needs one dedicated individual to chart the course

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by DelGardo: 12:03am On Nov 17, 2015
Gbawe:

A lot of things are shocking about Nigeria and the extent to which we under-utilise our natural endowment which are some of the richest deposits in the world. My brother it is very frustrating and we should not continue like this as you conclude. I think I even read somewhere where an economist argued that Nigeria is the richest nation in the world in terms of its natural endowment. Arable soil, virtually 24/7 sunshine, crude oil, solid minerals et al. Fayemi must not fail. This is simply too frustrating and we have no business living like this at all.

Continue reading here : http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/neglect-of-solid-minerals-why-nigeria-remains-poor/

Not quite @ bolded. You may find that the most endowed country in the world is Congo. And they have never known peace. There is a clearly link between abundance of natural resources/endowmants and chaos.

But I agree with you completely.
Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by damola1: 12:10am On Nov 17, 2015
Fashola.
Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by UyiIredia(m): 2:06am On Nov 17, 2015
Gbawe:

True talk.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 17, 2015
This SHOULD be on the frontpage...

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by pcicero(m): 7:56am On Nov 17, 2015
Great discourse from all contributors.

It irks me when simple things are made difficult in Nigeria.
I think one of the areas where this government should focus on is minning of the mineral resources needed for national growth.

Massive exploration of bitumen can speed up the road transformation of the length and breadth of Nigeria.

It will also lead to massive employment.

Most of the agitation bedevilling the country are usually triggered by perceived marginalization in terms of infrastructural development.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by Gbawe: 6:08pm On Nov 17, 2015
pcicero:
Great discourse from all contributors.

It irks me when simple things are made difficult in Nigeria.
I think one of the areas where this government should focus on is minning of the mineral resources needed for national growth.

Massive exploration of bitumen can speed up the road transformation of the length and breadth of Nigeria.

It will also lead to massive employment.

Most of the agitation bedevilling the country are usually triggered by perceived marginalization in terms of infrastructural development.

correct. I think Nigeria, under the new Ministers, and with Buhari supporting them, will be a massive construction site shortly. I really believe that Buhari chose well in Kachikwu, Fashola, Amaechi, Fayemi and Ogbeh. My worry remains corruption and its ability to "fight back" (Ribadu). The article below shows what Buhari and his 'good guys' are facing and why Nigeria should pray for them. I don't want to taint this lovely thread with politics but the revelation below is disturbing and worrying.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/16/how-saraki-national-assembly-leaders-secretly-opposed-treasury-single-account

How Saraki, National Assembly Leaders Secretly Opposed Treasury Single Account

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKNOV 16, 2015

SaharaReporters has gathered more details regarding why members of the Nigerian Senate moved to clamp down on President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration over the Treasury Single Account (TSA).

Our investigation revealed that, in October, the leadership of the National Assembly led by Senator Bukola Saraki hatched out a secret arrangement to force Central Bank of Nigeria officials to exclude National Assembly accounts from the Treasury Single Account (TSA). The legislative leaders claimed that the TSA was hampering the National Assembly’s operations.

[size=14pt]One source told SaharaReporters that some members of the National Assembly were not pleased that members of the executive branch would know details of their hitherto opaque financial transactions. They consulted CBN officials about ways of quietly opting out of the TSA. Our source stated that CBN officials could not make a commitment to remove legislative accounts from the TSA opting to inform President Buhari instead. However, when Mr. Buhari was informed of the arrangement, he immediately objected to excluding NASS accounts. [/size]

On learning of the president’s objection, Mr. Saraki mobilized other National Assembly leaders and invited CBN officials to a meeting in October. At the meeting, the legislators reportedly threatened to deal with the CBN if the regulatory bank’s officials did not exclude them from the TSA. A source familiar with the meeting told SaharaReporters disclosed that the lawmakers told CBN officials they had found out certain officials of the Buhari administration were using a third party, SystemSpecs Limited, to milk Nigeria through the TSA policy.

Our source revealed that, following the testy meeting, CBN officials decided to discontinue the 1% fee that was deducted from the federation account and paid to Systemspecs Limited for managing the TSA protocol. Officials of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s government had arranged for the 1% fee.

Our investigation revealed that the TSA protocol was first mooted in December 2011. In January 2012, the Jonathan Presidency signed an agreement with SystemSpecs, owners of the software used for TSA deposits. The implementation phase of the agreement was then signed in December 2013 authorizing the use of TSA as a payment platform.

Infuriated that they failed to get their accounts out of the TSA, Nigerian senators have raised a motion calling for a probe of the TSA. They claimed that the TSA was President Buhari’s agenda to steal money from the Nigerian treasury. However, CBN officials and the owners of Systemspecs openly declared that Mr. Buhari did not sign the service agreement between the Systemspecs and the Federal Government. In a letter sent to President Buhari, they explained that the service fee paid to SystemSpecs Limited ballooned after the Buhari administration ordered commercial banks to surrender all government funds in their possession, adding that the CBN then stopped the service charges.

A senator told SaharaReporters that Mr. Saraki was also upset about the TSA because of its deep impact on Heritage Bank, a commercial bank in which he and other members of his extended family have significant ownership stake. The source disclosed that Societe Generale Bank, which Mr. Saraki’s family virtually liquidated through reckless banking practices and corruption, had re-emerged as Heritage Bank. The CBN recently approved a merger of Heritage Bank and Enterprise Bank. With the introduction of the TSA policy, “the Senate President cannot just place the Senate’s funds in a bank where he has financial stake.”

As Governor of Kwara State, Mr. Saraki often funneled state funds into banks in which he had significant interests.

Our senatorial source also alleged that Mr. Saraki’s burgeoning legal fees had made the former governor desperate to fight the TSA in order to have unfettered access to the Senate’s budget. According to the senator, Mr. Saraki had hired a score of lawyers to scuttle his ongoing trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal. “His legal expenses are not a joke. That’s another reason he does not like how the TSA policy is standing in the way of his ability to dip his hands into the National Assembly funds to help settle some of his legal bills,” said the legislative source.

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by centvin008(m): 6:18pm On Nov 17, 2015
If Nigeria wants solve her environmental problem a sewage system and Effective drainage systems must as a matter of urgency address in the whole country

1 Like

Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by obailala(m): 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2015
Gbawe:

correct. I think Nigeria, under the new Ministers, and with Buhari supporting them, will be a massive construction site shortly. I really believe that Buhari chose well in Kachikwu, Fashola, Amaechi, Fayemi and Ogbeh. My worry remains corruption and its ability to "fight back" (Ribadu). The article below shows what Buhari and his 'good guys' are facing and why Nigeria should pray for them. I don't want to taint this lovely thread with politics but the revelation below is disturbing and worrying.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/16/how-saraki-national-assembly-leaders-secretly-opposed-treasury-single-account

Wow... this SR article is a very powerful expose! shocked shocked
No wonder Dino Melaye specifically raised this issue about TSA probe and even though the facts have been tabled and the commision payments suspended, Saraki still insists on a probe of a ghost N25billion (even though it has been clarified severally that it wasnt 25bn).

May God help Buhari and the microscopic few within the APC who genuinely want to deliver CHANGE to Nigerians.
Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by Ghandi12: 1:39am On Nov 18, 2015
Please threads like this should not go into oblivion.

Pictures, schematics and other laudable ideas should be added by concerned forumites.
Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by Afam4eva(m): 4:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
I've always wondered why we always shy away from having roads with pedestrian sidewalks, covered drainages and possibly a lane for bicycles. is it that the cost implication is astronomical or we just don't plan for the future. Truthfully, with the way we go about building things in this country, we'll never be like the US and Europe. All we're going to have is a quasi-ghetto azz urbanized cities all over without proper planning.
Re: Fashola Must Champion New National Standard For Urban Roads by Afam4eva(m): 4:19pm On Dec 21, 2015
Rawani:

He now has access to the federal budget for works and executive powers to pursue and implement such legislation, so it's a different kettle of fish.
Will it be done on federal roads or what? I think it would have been easier for him to make it statewide.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra: Plateau DSS Invites Igbo Leader Over Protest In SE/SS. / Jonathan Constructed More Roads Than Any Other Nigerian President – Fashola / Saraki And Tinubu, Who Is More Influential

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.