Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture (34176 Views)

The Golden Eaglets Of Nigeria Thread: Brazil 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup / Niger Republic U17 3-1 Nigeria U17: Golden Eaglets Crash Out Of U17 Afcon / Kehinde And Taiwo Awoniyi's 19th Birthday Celebrated By The Ex Eaglets Striker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 18, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Browse at least. I do not need to browse because I remember the tourney with Yobo, Eneh, Garba, Ikedia, Melkam etc. It was U20 where Forlan, Chevanton, Ronaldinho, Edu, P. Costa, Carini, Cassilas, Xavi and co. played.

Still doesn't justify him going bald at that age
Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by MathsChic(f): 7:43am On Nov 18, 2015
But to judge from physical appearance alone is not sufficient.

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by tpraiz(m): 8:08am On Nov 18, 2015
Our Coach has not given us our Age......#Lols

Can u Imagine ??[color=#990000]
Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by enomakos(m): 8:47am On Nov 18, 2015
Who the Bleep wrote this thrash?
And who moves this shit to the frontpage?
Op are you the father of these boys?where you there when they were born?
How do you know they are overage?
Thrash
rubbish
nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by dabossman(m): 9:12am On Nov 18, 2015
1k001:

You make a fair argument however i personally don't subscribe to innocent until proven guilty in Nigeria because our loopholes are too glaring. I can walk into a lot of places now and buy a birth cert saying i'm 2 years old. If being corrupt is so easy and so cheap as it is here then perhaps the burden of proof lies somewhat on the individual rather than an assumption of innocence. Many countries have not illogically gone down this route when dealing with us in certain area. And yes we are all guilty, myself included, hence the mistrust.

The bolded is why you have some people here pointing out that other countries do it too, even though it is no justification for cheating. The same loopholes we have here as far as birth registration and securing false documentation to falsify ones age exists in South America, Asia and even some parts of Europe. But many critics of our age grade teams simply assume that because the other teams are 'white-skinned' they are above board.

We played Brazil and Mexico on our way to winning this last U17 and some Nigerians said we beat those teams because our players were older. Come on! Brazil? Mexico? Countries that have been caught in age cheating like us? Are those countries so well developed that these loopholes you mention are not present? There are even some countries in Eastern Europe that are not as developed as we assume in record keeping, neither are they honest in all their sports dealings. The recent mess in FIFA and the IAAF with Russian athletes is a pointer that many others cheat in different ways. Do we place the burden of proof on their individuals? Aren't we always quick to assume that they are innocent, while we are the perpetual cheats?

2 Likes

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by AreaFada2: 9:42am On Nov 18, 2015
enomakos:
Who the Bleep wrote this thrash?

And who moves this shit to the frontpage?

Op are you the father of these boys?where you there when they were born?

How do you know they are overage?

Thrash

rubbish

nonsense

Nor mind am. Fact is FIFA uses MRI scan now. No more excuses on FIFA's part.

Imagine if Zidane or Robben was playing for a black African nation.

We would have been told you cannot have bald head before the age of 75. grin cheesy

Fact is in those days, many of those players (usually from poor & uneducated backgrounds) might not even know exactly when they were born.
I personally knew some of those age-grade players then. They were secondary school boys.
Sure, people began primary school older back then but that's not the boys' fault.

Older guys were not as many as people make it out to be.

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by 1k001(m): 1:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
dabossman:

The bolded is why you have some people here pointing out that other countries do it too, even though it is no justification for cheating. The same loopholes we have here as far as birth registration and securing false documentation to falsify ones age exists in South America, Asia and even some parts of Europe. But many critics of our age grade teams simply assume that because the other teams are 'white-skinned' they are above board.

We played Brazil and Mexico on our way to winning this last U17 and some Nigerians said we beat those teams because our players were older. Come on! Brazil? Mexico? Countries that have been caught in age cheating like us? Are those countries so well developed that these loopholes you mention are not present? There are even some countries in Eastern Europe that are not as developed as we assume in record keeping, neither are they honest in all their sports dealings. The recent mess in FIFA and the IAAF with Russian athletes is a pointer that many others cheat in different ways. Do we place the burden of proof on their individuals? Aren't we always quick to assume that they are innocent, while we are the perpetual cheats?

Like i said your logic is fair but i'm not Brazilian or Mexican and so have no stake there.

I'm a Nigerian and i worry about the Nigerian cheating culture and so should we all regardless of whatever else any other country is doing.

Like i said earlier i'd be happier going out in the first round with true 15 year olds than otherwise. At the very least our children learn something. What our children understand these days is that cheating is the way to go.

Integrity is not relative
Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by enomakos(m): 2:52pm On Nov 18, 2015
AreaFada2:

We would have been told you cannot have bald head before the age of 75. grin cheesy

Fact is in those days, many of those players (usually from poor & uneducated backgrounds) might not even know exactly when they were born.
I personally knew some of those age-grade players then. They were secondary school boys.
Sure, people began primary school older back then but that's not the boys' fault.

you are right bro

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by king94(m): 6:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

He did not pass the MRI. Back in 2009, it was random testing where FIFA selects few players and test them. Unlike 2013, 2015, where it is now compulsory for all players to test.

A little research will cure a lot of hatred you guys have for your country.
Den Ppl should stop saying we started being clean in 2009 cos we were not.
Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 19, 2015
AreaFada2:

Truth is, we should no be judgemental forgetting that kids of nowadays and rapid growth moves along just well. Today 10years old child cannot be compared to that of 1998. Its simple. Just look around you and see for yourself

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by dabossman(m): 11:54am On Nov 19, 2015
1k001:

Like i said your logic is fair but i'm not Brazilian or Mexican and so have no stake there.

I'm a Nigerian and i worry about the Nigerian cheating culture and so should we all regardless of whatever else any other country is doing.

Like i said earlier i'd be happier going out in the first round with true 15 year olds than otherwise. At the very least our children learn something. What our children understand these days is that cheating is the way to go.

Integrity is not relative

I agree with you. However, if science through the MRI scan says the boys are within the age limit, who am I to claim that they are over-aged without proof. I would feel offended if someone accused me of being fraudulent without proof. I won't do the same to someone else.

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by EmmyDe25(m): 7:38am On Nov 21, 2015
Chestar5:
Naija dey try now, abi una no see that mali guy

My sister was lyk, if this guy is 17 den am 22
Lol....Boubacar you mean. Yinka Odumakin is just a celebrated fo.ol. If the Afenifere is not bringing him much fund again, he can publicly declare his support for the PDP and be helping Olisa Metuh in his failed attempt to revive the PDP. Sometimes, i wonder what Nigerian problems are.If Nigeria present older players at cadet championships then the MRI scan should be tagged a complete failure. But why am i not surprised Yinka wrote this poo? Most Nigerians just wanna maintain relevance, regardless of how stupid and clueless they sound. FIFA adjudged the Nigerian squad as the youngest at the just concluded tourney. So who the heck is this rapid dog to say otherwise just in the bid maintain relevance and discredit the terrific work these guys did in Santiago, Chile? Abeg!!

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by EmmyDe25(m): 8:04am On Nov 21, 2015
efilefun:
I could remember the final Nigeria Played against Spain in 2007, Akinsola and Chrisantus lead the team from front... Akinsola claimed to be 16 years during the tournament but the dude got 2kids at home already, Never knew life was so easy in Nigeria a 16 year old kid would think of starting a family. Check the Spanish team that lost that final match to Nigeria We got David Degea, Asier Illarramendi, Bojan Krkić, Nacho,and many more and they still playing active football in top class teams while you can't point to a Nigerian player of that set playing in a good European club... Hazard and Benteke played that same tournament, but where are the Tella Golden Boys?

Bro forget Fifa scan, i know alot of players who take fruits and water only for a month or more just to scale through those tests, could remember some years back when a dude was on who wants to be a millionaire, the guy said he was narrowly dropped from U20 camp cuz he couldn't settle some officials but when Frank asked his real age the dude said he was 42, now tell me how long this dude will play before hanging his boots
Bro, the sweet transition of European young players should be lauded on their structured and advanced leagues. Atleti gave De Gea the platform to shone like a million stars, Bojan had the same opportunity with Barca. You need to understand how hard it is for these African players to be playing in lowly rated leagues and just be bought by a big club in Europe.....It happens ofcourse but quite rarely.
Its not like some of the all conquering Tella boys are not still playing...some are in the local league, some are playing in less lucrative and competitive leagues in Europe. Fact that they are still playing is enough testament that this age cheat is always blown out of proportion.
Do you want to tell me the fact that the U17 Swiss side that beat the Okoro led eaglets in 09 final cheated age wise? Because they are not being seen in the world stage?

1 Like

Re: Papa Eaglets And Our Cheating Culture by tck2000(m): 11:52am On Jul 30, 2019
Yeah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FIFA Bans MKO Abiola Stadium, Abuja From Hosting Int’l Matches / Mikel Arteta: Aubameyang Won’t Play For Arsenal Until Further Notice / Okocha, Babayaro, Amokachi Represent Nigeria At Starsixes (videos Of The Goals)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.