Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate (1138 Views)

You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate / Your Letter Didn’t Say I Should Appear In Uniform, Ali Tells Senate / Senate Blocks Move To Summon Lawan Daura, SSS Boss Over Raids On Judges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by LocalChamp: 9:44pm On Nov 17, 2015
BY SAHARA REPORTERS, NEW YORK NOV 17, 2015

On Tuesday, the embattled former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Lamorde informed the Senate that they do not possess the power to invite him as the subject of an investigation.

He made this assertion through his lawyer, Festus Keyamo, who appeared on Mr. Lamorde’s behalf before the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges, and Public Petitions at the National Assembly in Abuja.

The former EFCC Chairman is being investigated over an allegation that he fraudulently diverted over N1 trillion in proceeds from corruption recovered by the anti-graft agency.

Mr. Keyamo explained that the Senate has no constitutional power to invite his client to the committee given that his client is no longer the Chairman of the EFCC.

Mr. Keyamo stated that it is only the courts that can exercise such power, adding that his client is ready to honor the power of the courts. The lawyer noted that his client would, “only appear [before the committee] if he [Lamorde] is invited as a witness."

The Chairman of the committee, Emmanuel Nwanyawu, informed Mr. Keyamo that the committee is not a court of law and, therefore, a lawyer cannot appear before it on behalf of his client. He further explained that Mr. Keyamo was not allowed to take an oath on behalf of his client.

The Chairman noted that another letter of summons would be issued to Mr. Lamorde informing him he must appear before the committee on November 24th.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/17/‘you-have-no-power-summon-me’-lamorde-tells-senate
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Friedthunder(m): 9:53pm On Nov 17, 2015
Okokobioko shocked

1 Like

Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by mikolo80: 12:46am On Nov 18, 2015
mumu Senate. why summon him after you've sacked him

1 Like

Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by PRYCE(m): 2:43am On Nov 18, 2015
Kalahari Reporters! grin grin
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Freegift75: 4:12am On Nov 18, 2015
New drama
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Aufbauh(m): 4:48am On Nov 18, 2015

The Chairman of the committee, Emmanuel Nwanyawu, informed Mr. Keyamo that the committee is not a court of law and, therefore, a lawyer cannot appear before it on behalf of his client.

Then where is your right to invite a non public office holder before you? The Senate can not make laws and interpret the laws at the same time, hence the lawful things to do is to hand over their findings and files to a legally constituted court of competent jurisdiction as plaintiff.

1 Like

Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by miqos02(m): 5:15am On Nov 18, 2015
hmmm
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by noeloge82(m): 5:40am On Nov 18, 2015
Let's see what d body language of our presido will read this time
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by uboma(m): 7:42am On Nov 18, 2015
I wonder why Festus Keyamo accepted to defend the former chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Lamorde.
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Lanretoye(m): 7:54am On Nov 18, 2015
The senate wan embarrass her self oo,make I siddon ontop fence dey look.
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Pennywise(m): 8:05am On Nov 18, 2015
Why doesn't corrupt Lamorde get himself a SAN instead of 'fundamental rights' keyamo. He can surely afford one.

Yes he is being invited as a witness into a certain missing 1trillion naira case. keyamo should think of how else to defend his client rather than this stale tactic of stalling proceedings.
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Tunami(m): 8:10am On Nov 18, 2015
criminals inviting a fellow criminal for interogation
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by bb4522(m): 10:23am On Nov 18, 2015
uboma:
I wonder why Festus Keyamo accepted to defend the former chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Lamorde.
Lawyers for you, even extremist (Abdulmutalab) had lawyers

1 Like

Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by ziccoit: 10:30am On Nov 18, 2015
The guy surely has skeleton in his cupboard, in fact in his entire house. Why running away from probe if you have nothing to hide.
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by speedyGonzales: 10:36am On Nov 18, 2015
senate can summon anyone, including Buhari! stup*d
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by chimchim1(m): 10:37am On Nov 18, 2015
ok
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by TijaniAbu: 8:00am On Nov 21, 2015
Looter Lamorde is full of corrupt rubbish. If Senate had summoned him for valedictory session to commend xx years of supposedly diligent service would he not have run there to appear? Sacked or not he must answer the petition against him. Is Lamorde from Chad? If not why did he flee Nigeria through its land border with CHAD? (assisted by midget El Rufai)
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by Arogunmasa(m): 10:12am On Nov 21, 2015
[quote author=TijaniAbu post=40246825Is Lamorde from Chad? If not why did he flee Nigeria through its land border with CHAD? (assisted by midget El Rufai) [/quote]

This is weighty allegation, a governor of a state aiding an enemy of the state? This is treason.
Re: ‘you Have No Power To Summon Me’-lamorde Tells Senate by ogmaskman: 11:31am On Nov 21, 2015
uboma:

Maybe on padi padi level. But this will cause him more harm than good if he represent lamorde in court. From prosecution to defense. Let's watch and see how it turns out.

(1) (Reply)

Neglect, Injustice, Poverty Drive New Biafra Protests In Nigeria By Kuwait Times / VP Osinbajo , Bukola Saraki , Segun Awolowo And Others At HID Awolowo's Burial / ‘you Can’t Be More Biafran Than Ojukwu Who Abandoned Struggle’ Ben Apugo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.