Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? (18154 Views)

The Most Economically Viable States In Nigeria To Invest Into / Which Of These Businesses Is More Viable In Nigeria? / I Want To Start A Container Haulage Business. I Need Your Advice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by SubMacGun(m): 5:09pm On May 21, 2009
Myself and group of friends are planning on starting a haulage business in Nigeria and would like find out how viable this business in Nigeria. We have manage to source 10 trucks ( 4 petrol tankers , 3 flat back truck, and 3 Container chasis trucks).  We have  two options should be  lease the trucks to an agency or manage the logistics ourself.  What are the return like on this business

Any advice will be appericated.
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by Thadude(m): 6:41pm On May 21, 2009
The drivers of ur trucks are key to your success. Haulage is a profitable business especially when oversea contacts are available for sourcing of necessary and geniue parts when needed. Havent said this, it will be worth while for you to manage your trucks urself or at worst employ and manage the drivers personally, make sure they have familes (wife and kids) and ensure they are well paid with special benefits such as health care for their wives and kids, truckers require 100% concentration to avoid accidents. If your driver is happy your business will be happy, chances of accidents will be reduced. Make sure u insert a method to check your driver's attitude on the road. This can be achived by printing a (Report my driving to my boss sign) on every part of the vehicle with a number. So that agrieved road users who observe reckless driving can call in, this will give u warning report and help u make dismissal decision. Enforce no smoke and drive rule or drink and drive rule. Subject ur drivers to occasional test to ensure they stick by the rules.
By doing this you will save an innocent life on the road and eventually prolong the life of ur business with continuity.

Lagos state has a new training class for truckers u might wanna make sure ur drivers go through the class it will add value to ur business. Because many of our truckers dont know the rules of driving, they drive trucks like cars.

1 Like

Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by SubMacGun(m): 7:27pm On May 21, 2009
Thanks Tha_dude

We plan not cut any corners - We understand that the drivers are key to the business and plan to spend at 15% of earnings on the drivers.

. At first the concentration will be within the state and maybe surrounding states like Ogun, Oyo, Osun etc

What kind of returns can one expect from the following

1. Fuel tanker interstate/within the state
2. Flat back truck carrying dry goods
3 Container trucks carrying containers from the port

thanks
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by kinharold(m): 5:21pm On May 25, 2009
HAULAGE is great biz in nigeria either tanker, trailer (flat back) Trailer Bucket. But i dont think u being involved in all the areas is a great ideal especially as you are not experienced in it.

I am into haulage, with an opportunity as a contractor to a major shippin line. i need partners to get aleast five trucks. these trrucks are to run within Lgos only.you can contact me for details. kinharold2@yahoo.com 07034268732
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 11:02am On May 26, 2009
Tha -dude have said it all.The drivers are the key to ur sucess.
why wud u want to limit it to inter-state?I think u make more money when its Intra-state.My dad had flat back truck(21 tyres) and as at 2006/2007 they make 120K every 2 weeks.I can remember then,they carry mostly cemets,from calabar/Ph to lagos.
He does not pay the drivers,whatever they make and how many trips the go in 2 weeks is none of his biz,all he knows is that after 2 weeks,he gets his cash.he gets to contribute a certain percentage when the truck is faulty.
The most important thing is getting a good driver and treating them well.goodluck.
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by sonety2k(m): 9:44am On May 27, 2009
Nice Business Idea,
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by SubMacGun(m): 1:21pm On May 27, 2009
sonety2k:

Nice Business Idea,

Please explain more
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by mayornaize: 3:12pm On May 27, 2009
Haulage business in Nigeria is very good and viable but I will advice that you concentrate on one aspect of the i.e Fuel or Goods haulage because the combination of tanker(fuel), flat beds and containerised will distract your attention as you will have to operate from different stations.I can assure you of success If you will focus on one direction. Meanwhile, your drivers is the pillar that holds the success of the business,I'll advice you pay them some big bonuses aside their salaries,they can ruin your biz and they can make it for you. goodluck to you guys. I'm in the business and God has been my help all is fine so far so good.
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by SubMacGun(m): 8:25pm On May 27, 2009
mayornaize:

Haulage business in Nigeria is very good and viable but I will advice that you concentrate on one aspect of the i.e Fuel or Goods haulage because the combination of tanker(fuel), flat beds and containerised will distract your attention as you will have to operate from different stations.I can assure you of success If you will focus on one direction. Meanwhile, your drivers is the pillar that holds the success of the business,I'll advice you pay them some big bonuses aside their salaries,they can ruin your biz and they can make it for you. goodluck to you guys. I'm in the business and God has been my help all is fine so far so good.

Can u give us a rough idea on how much u make before costs (such as drivers wage/fuel) on highlighted types of haulage per trip and how many trips can one do in month both interstate or within the state such as Lagos.

Thanks
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by tobiloba82: 3:51am On May 28, 2009
i will advise you that you look more into the container business because there is always market for the trucks. your trucks will be transfering containers from the ports apapa precisely, to bonded terminals outside the ports. Your drivers will be source through the ports.
Their trip allowance for every trip is N2500. after fuel cost, you will be left with an average of N10000 per trip. A minimum of two trips per day is sure for the trucks and that is N20000 daily. you are being paid immediately. However occasionally, the drivers go three trips lets say two times in a week. it is a monday to saturday work. There is a lot of money in business.
i will advise you to try with one of the trucks and see things for yourself.
Assume a truck goes 2 trips per day for 6 days, that is N120000
In a month, you will be earning N480000. this is realistic. i work in the ports and i have been opportuned to have one truck. i intended to buy another one soon.
Mail me at olajidetobiloba@yahoo.com or call me on 08028292956. i will guide you through and help you in the business.
Though good drivers and manager is the key to the growth of the business. i will help you through.
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 12:25pm On May 28, 2009
ifyalways:

Tha -dude have said it all.The drivers are the key to ur sucess.
why wud u want to limit it to inter-state?I think u make more money when its Intra-state.My dad had flat back truck(21 tyres) and as at 2006/2007 they make 120K every 2 weeks.I can remember then,they carry mostly cemets,from calabar/Ph to lagos.
He does not pay the drivers,whatever they make and how many trips the go in 2 weeks is none of his biz,all he knows is that after 2 weeks,he gets his cash.he gets to contribute a certain percentage when the truck is faulty.
The most important thing is getting a good driver and treating them well.goodluck.
Is your dad still in the business.
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 9:00pm On May 28, 2009
blacksta:

Is your dad still in the business.
yes
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 6:18pm On May 29, 2009
@ ify

Is it possible to find out how much he will make if he manages the truck himself and also the figures u gave were for 2006/07 . Please find out the latest figures.
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 6:18pm On May 29, 2009
@ ify

Is it possible to find out how much he will make if he manages the truck himself and also the figures u gave were for 2006/07 . Please find out the latest figures.

thanks
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by rukkyng(m): 9:32pm On May 29, 2009
1.well guys everyone has said something reasonable but no has asked what make of trucks do u intend to start the business with, well my best advice of trucks should be MARK TRUCKS and the model should be (R MODELS) which are strong, rugged and tough and dont buy the ones that comes with balloons suspensions but with spring and when we talk about spring i mean CAMELS BACK those the best suspensions ever.
2. When it comes to the location of travel i will professionally advice within lagos and and not too far distance, in haulage terms we call apapa to ikeja (local) while apapa to ibadan, shagamu ilorin and other close distance that are few hours to drive to there destination WEST LOCAL it reduces wear and tear on the truck, risk and also when there is a mechanical break down u can easily drive down to the location of breakdown and see thing for you self other than your truck traveling to kano and truck breaks down at zaria you defiantly cannot drive there immediately than to listen to what the driver tells u send money for repair which will be done either more expensive with less professional mechanics and a lot other factors which if i want to type in here will take a lot of pages and lastly in haulage business you must be hard, tough and not be soft minded other wise u can make millions in 1 year but loss it all in 1 day for more information send me a mail on roadways_haulagelogisticsltd@yahoo.com or call 014393960 good luck
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 10:07pm On May 29, 2009
rukky_ng:

1.well guys everyone has said something reasonable but no has asked what make of trucks do u intend to start the business with, well my best advice of trucks should be MARK TRUCKS and the model should be (R MODELS) which are strong, rugged and tough and dont buy the ones that comes with balloons suspensions but with spring and when we talk about spring i mean CAMELS BACK those the best suspensions ever.
2. When it comes to the location of travel i will professionally advice within lagos and and not too far distance, in haulage terms we call apapa to ikeja (local) while apapa to ibadan, shagamu ilorin and other close distance that are few hours to drive to there destination WEST LOCAL it reduces wear and tear on the truck, risk and also when there is a mechanical break down u can easily drive down to the location of breakdown and see thing for you self other than your truck traveling to kano and truck breaks down at zaria you defiantly cannot drive there immediately than to listen to what the driver tells u send money for repair which will be done either more expensive with less professional mechanics and a lot other factors which if i want to type in here will take a lot of pages and lastly in haulage business you must be hard, tough and not be soft minded other wise u can make millions in 1 year but loss it all in 1 day for more information send me a mail on roadways_haulagelogisticsltd@yahoo.com or call 014393960 good luck

THank well appericated comments - but fortunately we dont have Mack trucks in Europe we have Daf, Iveco, Man, Scania, Mercedes - please advice

thanks
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by rukkyng(m): 10:43pm On May 29, 2009
well u can go 4 iveco ( but it has to be turbo star) thats the make
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by blacksta(m): 10:49pm On May 29, 2009
rukky_ng:

well u can go 4 iveco ( but it has to be turbo star) thats the make

Thanks
what is cost of carrying

1. 30,000 litres of fuel from lagos to ogun, ph,oyo, osun
2 Container from port to destination in lagos or nearby states. 20ft or 40ft
3. Dry goods from point a to b within lagos or nearby state.

or any info we will be welcomed
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by ifyalways(f): 12:23am On May 30, 2009
blacksta:

@ ify

thanks
Called him.Hes making 380K now every month.Hes got a manager that manages all his trucks and the 380K is solely for him. . . .The manager sorts himself and runs the company.He said hes got no idea of what he wud be making managing the truck himself . . .hes Obviously alright with the 380K per month.
He also said,if the trucks have any problem,the driver contributes 20%,company 40%,him 40% THOUGH it depends on if it was an accident or day to day mechanical faults smiley
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by dejia(m): 11:16pm On May 31, 2009
@ SubMacGun,

I was like you 3months ago; am based outside the country and i heard about the haulage business in Nigeria; pple told me the juicy side; from there analysis i was expected to make about 700k on the tanker ( 33,000 litres) and 750k on the trailer.

Well i bought into it and now i think i also have experience; i bought something similar to what u have DAF 95; i think Iveco is better for tankers

I think the biggiest challenge u will have is the driver; what i will strongly recommend is that u get a tracker into ur trailer / tanker which ever u decide; i will also recommend you look for som1 who is into comodities who can manage it the trailer; i will strongly advice u dont allow ur trailer to go far; Mine only does within lagos; Within lagos you can make between 35k-60k depending on what its loaded with ( sugar,flour,salt etc). after expenses you might have btwn 25k-40k in ur pocket. 4 trips per week is the most realistic; pple might promise u daily jobs, pls forget it, i will recommend u dont expect more than 400k a month on the trailer; i will not advice u let u trailer travel farther than ibadan

If i were you with my experience now, i think i will buy the small trailer ( that carries on 300bags) with that u can make close to 300k a month;and its lots cheaper or u go for the tanker and make sure u insure the tanker; give it to an Oando agent to register it under his company; with that u will make 550k a month and your tanker will last about 7years; with trailers in Nigeria the life span is about 3-4years
anybody who promises u anything more than that, i will suggest u shd be very careful.

If u need more info e.mail me: chatwithdeejay@yahoo.com
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by frontman9: 10:59am On Jul 13, 2009
submacgun, i am wondering if u are still looking for partners regarding ur trucks. I am in Nigeria and haulage is what i do. if u are, here are my contact details: frontman_9@yahoo.com or 08062686491
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by Globaltrux: 1:32pm On Jul 23, 2009
Hello to all from the UK
If you are starting in the haulage business in west Africa we may be able to assist. We have many years experience in sending Trucks, Busses, Construction equipment and parts to Nigeria, Ghana, Angola as well as most east African countries.
If you feel the need for our services, you can contact us via this forum or by email globaltrux@btinternet.com or by telephone on
+447920516109
Best of luck

Iain
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by honeyguy(m): 4:19am On Jul 25, 2009
hey y'all
am based in toronto and have been thinking of getting into the haulage biz, friends and fams been telling me the good side of it
by the grace of God ama youngsuccessful bizman i export cars to nigeria but getting into trucks exportation, people are telling me to get into haulage rather than selling my trucks in nigeria. i dont know which is better selling my trucks or haulage biz?
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by kinharold(m): 1:19pm On Jul 28, 2009
I manage trucks and Tipers. i take care of all operational cost including driver and servicing. I pay 350/400k for truck and 450 to 500k for tippers (Negotiable) guaranteed. No Stories. of course you can take back the truck or tipper any time u are no longer satisfied with us. our tippers operate mainly from port harcourt while the trucks operate from lagos. Right now i am in URGENT NEED for tippers.

Details: kinharold2@yahoo.com 07034268732

best Regards
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by OMOSOFEF: 9:02pm On Jul 30, 2009
What could possibly be the cost of a strong truck for haulage business?
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by honeyguy(m): 5:20am On Jul 31, 2009
atleast N3.5m
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by RyderNG: 11:52am On Sep 02, 2009
Available in Nigeria: DAF 95XF430 model, Space cab, 4 x 2, 1st reg in Holland: Apr 2001 (just 8 yrs of European use), shipped from Holland (Left-sided). No need for costly conversion that may cause troubles for you later. Please contact me by email (aba0001@gmail.com) for further details. Price is N4.1m
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by larez(m): 12:10pm On Sep 02, 2009
Price?

1 Like

Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by RyderNG: 12:20pm On Sep 02, 2009
Price is N4.1m
Re: Is Haulage Business Viable In Nigeria? by Sammy107d(m): 2:51am On Sep 10, 2009
I bet insurance costs for these trucks would be a killer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See How I Made 57,000 With 19k Within A Week In Mini Importation, Come And Learn / Soaring Cost Of Flour: Bakeries Begin Shutdown / 5 Reasons Your Small Business Isn’t Making Enough Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.