Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,846 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview (19489 Views)

Who Else Had A Phone Interview With Productivepeople.org? / Seven Simple Tips To Guide You Through A Phone Interview / VSO-ICS Phone Interview Invite... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 21, 2015
9 things to know before a phone Interview

Just in case you have a phone interview coming up, I wanted to share with you some very good tips you probably haven't thought of.

Almost all first interviews these days are over the phone.

Employers are doing this to save time, their time.

Anyways, if you've got a phone interview coming up here's 9 quick tips to help get you prepared.

1) Be enthusiastic: Some people find it helps to smile while they talk. Find a quiet place where no one can disturb you or any unwanted noise disturbances. And in a lighter mood you better hope and pray because that isn't the time your BF,GF or anyone should be calling also at that particular time because Interruptions caused by dropped or incoming calls just add stress you don't need.

2) Have a list of questions prepared: Well-thought-out questions show you're really interested in the company and the job. Also, have your resume in front of you. Make sure it's the same version the interviewer has.

3) Never interrupt: Silently count to two or three seconds after the interviewer stops talking before you start.

4) Ask about next steps: At the end of the call, ask how well your qualifications meet the company's needs. This will give you a chance to address minor issues immediately. Then ask when you can meet with them in person.

5) Say thanks: Follow up with an e-mail. While you're at it, briefly remind the interviewer how your skills and achievements can help the company meet its goals.

6) Eat a cough drop before the call: A medicated cough drop, especially one with menthol will be good for your voice. It's a small but helpful thing.

7) Avoid saying "um" or "ah": Try replacing those sounds with a pause, which is a sign of intelligence.

cool Take notes: Jot down topics and questions that seem to be of particular interest to the person interviewing you, so you can touch on these when you send your thank-you.

9) Even if you decide you don't want the job, proceed as if you did: You never know whom you might meet at in-person interviews, and what networking opportunities could result.

To your success...

53 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by samobaba(m): 7:44am On Nov 21, 2015
This is a nice tip. Thanks OP

4 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by yorex2011: 8:45am On Nov 21, 2015
This is very good. Thumbs up Mr OP

1 Like

Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by adeememman(m): 9:30am On Nov 21, 2015
Nice one Op.
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Folksyharry(m): 10:40am On Nov 21, 2015
Nice information. Thumbs up
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by virtousB: 11:01am On Nov 21, 2015
How i wish i knew this before my first phone interview. Nice tips
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by iamsodium(m): 11:39am On Nov 21, 2015
I didnt knw dere was sumtin lyk a phone interview

[size=16pt]#TEAMNAIRALANDSCIENCE [/size]
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Sijo01(f): 11:40am On Nov 21, 2015
Informative!
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by ifyalways(f): 11:40am On Nov 21, 2015
How many companies in Nigeria actually conduct phone interviews undecided
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Richie0974: 11:40am On Nov 21, 2015
Ok
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by lilwayneme(m): 11:41am On Nov 21, 2015
Informative
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 21, 2015
Thanks OP
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by mediagenius: 11:41am On Nov 21, 2015
Wonderful tips....these are some of the things that make Nairaland a site to be...

Very educative, no knowledge is a waste. Thumbs up OP

Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by slapandfall(m): 11:42am On Nov 21, 2015
D
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by DICKtator: 11:42am On Nov 21, 2015
grin grin grin grin
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Shinelle(f): 11:43am On Nov 21, 2015
nice tips!
Just did a video interview interview for Kerry group.. Something tells me , Ild have preferred a phone or direct one instead..

2 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by slimgold123(f): 11:46am On Nov 21, 2015
Thanks
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by cruzita(f): 11:46am On Nov 21, 2015
I will try to remember .anyway NEXT
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Shortyy(f): 11:46am On Nov 21, 2015
OK. I concur
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by SuPeRq(f): 11:47am On Nov 21, 2015
Nice tips
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Beehshorp(m): 11:47am On Nov 21, 2015
The most important is " don't ever miss the fucking call"

3 Likes

Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Idrismusty97(m): 11:47am On Nov 21, 2015
10. Without good network signal all the above listed things are irrelevant. We are in Nigeria, MTN network is wack. cheesy
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by gungab(m): 11:49am On Nov 21, 2015
thanks for the info, I think it's also important to disable call waiting when you want to have phone interview.
please can anyone help me with good outsourcing and in sourcing firm. thanks
gurella007@yahoo.com
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by obinnashady(m): 11:51am On Nov 21, 2015
I came to masturbate on this thread
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Benbelor(m): 11:53am On Nov 21, 2015
virtousB:
How i wish i knew this before my first phone interview. Nice tips
[b][/b]atleast hu now know yhu have to take cough drops abi grin
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by Chuukwudi(m): 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2015
Ok
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by TCD: 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2015
how does this phone interview thing work... will they email you or call you ahead of time to fix a time for the interview? or they just call you out of the blue and interview you? I'm expecting one that's why I'm asking..
Re: 9 Things To Know Before A Phone Interview by adepiero: 12:15pm On Nov 21, 2015
N

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dear Nigerian Job Interviewers, Please Stop Stressing Us / Soft Work / Strictly For Futo Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.