Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators (1208 Views)

Breaking News: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Wike- SaharaReporters / What Will Happen To Okowa If Anioma State Is Created / EXPOSED: Vanishing Ink Used To Massively Rig Ekiti Elections To Favor PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by Seun(m): 1:12pm On Oct 17, 2006
"Osewa's law" states that every law is made to favor its creator(s).

Long Form:
When any group of people meets to create laws that are binding on others, the body of laws so created will invariably favor the lawmakers at the expense of the other people who have to abide by such laws.

Short Proof:
Every human action springs from self-interest, and lawmakers aren't any different. Therefore they will support laws that favor them directly or indirectly and oppose laws disfavor them directly or indirectly. A group of such self-interested lawmakers in a democracy will therefore only approve laws that favor the majority of them. This is true regardless of the integrity of the lawmakers in question, because even integrity comes from self-interest.

Do you agree? Let's discuss! :-)

Next: Examples and Applications
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by Ka: 11:38pm On Oct 20, 2006
Hm. How did I miss this?

OK, let me adjust my devil's advocate hat.

First of all, do you equate 'favouring' with 'not disfavouring'?
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by omofineboy(m): 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2006
Seun you are right just that atimes they may approve laws they dont know wont favour them, but if they know they wont. eg EFCC Act
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by stranger12: 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2006
e.g. IMF regulations
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by Seun(m): 1:46pm On Oct 25, 2006
After a little bit of research, I've come to the conclusion that this "law" only a special case of the root cause of the "principal-agent problem in Economics, which is "the problem of motivating one party to act on behalf of another". The solution to this problem is set up incentives that align the interests of the agent with the interest of the person he's working for.

Applying this to politics, we should realize that:
1) Every human action springs from self-interest, including that of politicians.
2) Instead of complaining that politicians are self-interested, we should accept that as the unavoidable reality.
3) We should change the rules of politics such that what favors politicians will also favor the masses.
4) Areas in which the rules cannot be changed in that manner should be moved to the private sector.

Every law, decision or action in politics is made to favor it's makers. If we want those laws, decisions or actions to favor us, we must change the rules of the game such that what favors them will also favor us. However, this is easier said than done. So in areas where we are unable to change the rules so politicians act in our interests, we should take back the power from politicians and manage our interests by ourselves.
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by Favormi(m): 5:29pm On Dec 24, 2009
I agree wit u
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by PapaBrowne(m): 7:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
What a brilliant analysis! Never knew Seun was that intelligent. Now no wonder Nairaland is so shuckshessful!

1 Like

Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by tumfulu1: 7:50pm On Dec 24, 2009
since 2006?? gobshites!
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 24, 2009
I thought that was so obvious. Seun you seem to be getting a lot more realistic now adays.
Hallelujah!
Re: Every Law Is Created To Favor Its Creators by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 24, 2009
I subscribe to your opinion seun on this topic.Most laws are made out of selfish interests of our politicians.Check out the freedom of information bill that has been pending in the national assembly for over ten years.Our "dis"honourable legislature ignored the bill knowing fully well that its passage will be disastrous to them.They call it all sort of names,amended it to suit themselves and to make its application almost impossible.Since Foi bill will make public officers accountable to the electorate,therefore,they are doing everything within their reach to see its failure.

(1) (Reply)

Faith Of Efcc / Nigeria: The Only Country Where Truth Is Hard To Find! / Nigeria’s Electricity Woes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.