Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone (4341 Views)

Fraudsters Clone EFCC Chairman’s Telephone Numbers, Extort Money’ / Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. / An Igbo Fraudsters Clone Abia Gov's Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by moneygurl: 6:00pm On May 22, 2009
UMUAHIA — GOVERNOR Theodore Orji of Abia State has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, over the cloning and use of his telephone line by unknown persons to dupe unsuspecting Nigerians.

According to the governor, the development was a source embarrassment to him as the fraudsters claim to be the governor while extorting money from unsuspecting members of the public.

In the letter dated May 20, 2009, entitled “Blocking and Fraudulent Use of My MTN line”, and personally signed by the governor, he urged the Police chief to investigate the matter with the aim of bringing the culprits to book.
The letter reads:

“I write to draw your attention to a case of fraudulent blocking and usurpation of my MTN GSM phone number and its subsequent deployment for criminal use.

“For about a week now, starting from May 11, 2009, I noticed that my MTN number 07037723390 was blocked, as I was unable to make or receive calls on it. Thinking it was a network problem, I ignored it and used my other phones for my communication.

“To my utter shock and consternation, I have realized that an unknown individual is using that same line to extort money from government officials, contractors, friends, politicians and my associates whose phone numbers were stored on my SIM card.

“As I write this, unknown fictitious people are making and receiving calls on my line, giving the impression that it is I who is using the said line. The usurpers of my line have gone ahead to send text messages to people, posing as me, coercing them to pay in huge sums of money into bank accounts for diverse reasons. Some people have already fallen prey to those antics.

“I make this report to compel a thorough investigation into the circumstances leading to the blocking and cloning of my line and to put it on record that even though the number belongs to me, I have not been in control of the use it has been put to in the last two weeks.

“It is my desire that this matter be brought to an expeditious conclusion to avoid embarrassments to me and financial losses to my friends and associates”, the governor said in the letter.

Vanguard gathered that many highly-placed individuals have fallen victim of the trend in the recent past, as fraudsters, using the contacts of ministers, governors, ex-governors, industry captains and other society bigwigs, have swindled people of their money.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36398&Itemid=42
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by chyk91(m): 6:19pm On May 22, 2009
na wa o.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by sparkle3: 6:21pm On May 22, 2009
This is just sad. But don't the friends, associates and every other person scammed know his voice on the phone or did they just receive texts on their phones and pay money into the given account?
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by otokx(m): 6:29pm On May 22, 2009
It might be one of his girl friends who arranged it.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by oderemo(m): 6:31pm On May 22, 2009
@ sparkle

i read the article and thought that as well. the governor should think it thru before going to the police. why cant he  change his number, prison officer always misplace keys , pronto a new one is cut and all numbers changed.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Fimmy(m): 6:44pm On May 22, 2009
i love this
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by sosisi(f): 6:45pm On May 22, 2009
nigerians again
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by ayomifull(f): 6:54pm On May 22, 2009
$osisi:

nigerians again

and again and again and again
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Carlosein(m): 6:56pm On May 22, 2009
omo naija shocked
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by platinumnk(f): 6:58pm On May 22, 2009
dang i wished i thought of that grin grin grin

someone close to him did this
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Carlosein(m): 7:01pm On May 22, 2009
shouldn't the network provider be aware of such undecided
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by FerrariGP: 7:04pm On May 22, 2009
gist, who is orji trying to fool??
do gsm companies in naija back up numbers saved on subs sim cards??
and even if dey do.will dey have the names too??
make the guy refund people money biko,
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by MaiSuya(m): 7:17pm On May 22, 2009
Vanguard gathered that many highly-placed individuals have fallen victim of the trend in the recent past, as fraudsters, using the contacts of ministers, governors, ex-governors, industry captains and other society bigwigs, have swindled people of their money.

Welcome to NAIJJJJJJJA!! cheesy
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by sunboy(m): 7:23pm On May 22, 2009
Good for'em. I like 2 hear something like this.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by init4dmoni(m): 7:29pm On May 22, 2009
omo wetin we no go see 4 naija
na money sha! tongue
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 22, 2009
Now! See why Nigerians can NEVER change.
I doubt if this unwholely thing could be done in another developed country.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Greycells(m): 7:42pm On May 22, 2009
Dem dey do am everywhere! ain't u heard of technology transfer? Americans invented scam, we perfected it tongue.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Agbalanze(m): 8:04pm On May 22, 2009
He should go 2 mtn so that the line should be blocked permanently or better still, let him arrange with them so that they ll' send sms 2 the number claiming that d 'ninja' has won some money. u never can tell, d ninja fit fall mugu show face.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by puskin: 8:08pm On May 22, 2009
How are we not sure that it is not him who block'd his line, did a SIM swap and connived wit unknown persons 2defraud his friends and associates. He's now crying foul. If poor young hustlers are capable of 419, so also the rich and those in power are capable of such too. Afterall, every individual with no exception, has an atom of criminal instinct in him/her. It is what we do with it (criminal instìncts) that matters.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by MrCrackles(m): 8:19pm On May 22, 2009
Topic

Top yawa! grin
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by AloyEmeka9: 8:34pm On May 22, 2009
Now! See why Nigerians can NEVER change.
I doubt if this unwholely thing could be done in another developed country.
Yes they do it. people's sim get cloned every time in China and they don't have to know you before cloning your sim. All they need is the call traffic and destinations to figure out whom you are. They can also break into your traffic and hear your conversations to figure out whom you are. I didn't know they can do it in Nigeria. Whomever imported that technology should be tracked down otherwise they can use it to kidnap all the high society kids in Nigeria. This is no laughing matter.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Pataki: 8:53pm On May 22, 2009
Good to hear that. At least, it is within themselves. Thieves extorting thieves. Let it continue within themselves.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by Pepeye(f): 8:58pm On May 22, 2009
someone close to him must be very smart
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by v3: 9:06pm On May 22, 2009
na wa o,

A whole gomino get's his ass scammed!!!, Dang, 9ja juz keeps getting berrer n berrer,

To the minds behind this, I say more of that jooooooooo
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by redsun(m): 9:40pm On May 22, 2009
How do know that it is not governor that used his phone to commit and wants to put the blame on illusive person?
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by AloyEmeka9: 9:47pm On May 22, 2009
Why will the gov do that when he can easily steal from the state's coffers?
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by redsun(m): 9:57pm On May 22, 2009
He could be really sick,like most of them are.Deranged
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by emcaluv(m): 10:58pm On May 22, 2009
Well,two things might have happened;
1) Somebody close to the Gov might have diverted and barred his calls on his phone.

2) Someone in MTN might have done that on the system.It needs to be investigated.MTN can track the culprits.

The Gov made a mistake.He would have contacted private Detectives who will work hand in hand with MTN to catch the guys.It will be difficult to catch those guys now.It has gone public.

This story might be a setup to cover up something.

Very funny.How can a Gov not receive or make calls like 2 hrs without calling MTN GM?Most times,such lines has security tags on them. I wonder how such thing will happen.They are not telling us the truth.

Ha, Ha grin sad
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by calyx: 11:08pm On May 22, 2009
This governor sef! na so so clone clone!the last time it was him and okija, this time its cloning his phone. Me i no go surprise if person clone im prick one day post am for Nairaland tongue
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by webprince(m): 1:25am On May 23, 2009
I will implore Nairalanders not 2 jump 2 conclusion concerning these 9ja governors o!

Someone might already have information 'bout his phone/text conversation with contractors/bidders/etc including strong evidence of bribery.

He then try 2 checkmate by trying 2 fool everybody dat his phone is being cloned, an MTN line 4 dat matter! we r not 2 be fooled!

Imagine, someone text a contractor from d Governor's phone and ask him 2 pay certain amount of money into an account, if this has not been a common practice between them, am sure d so called contractor will not be so gullible 2 comply immediately without trying 2 speak wit d Governor on his other lines (a 9ja governor usually has in excess of 10 phone lines!)
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by agabaI23(m): 2:45am On May 23, 2009
This is not the first time. It has happened to Ibori in the past. It could be the same group of guys.
Re: Fraudsters Clone Gov's Phone by elvymoore: 5:14am On May 23, 2009
i need to learn this.its an advancement in technology

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New PDP BoT, Ahmadu Ali Likely To Emerge / Omisore Still Leading. / Buhari At Dinner Hosted By President Of State Of Bavaria In Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.