Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,212 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session (4728 Views)

Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Sanusi Lamido: Another Nuhu Ribadu In The Making? / I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by ziga: 3:57pm On May 26, 2009
I hope his perfomance @ the interview was coz he lost his composure.Coz to me, it seemed he was trying not to answer the questions he was asked, Talking like dem damn politicians.

The truth of de matter is corruption in the Nigerian government is so deep. I dont think anybody that has been in the government for the past 20yrs will be clean. That was the problem with ribadu. Even though he gave a good fight, am not sure of what skeletons he will have in his own closet. And i'm sure that's what de bad pple will use to haunt him.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by redsun(m): 4:01pm On May 26, 2009
Ribadu has a burning passion for a change but he is up against a brick wall.Home and away.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Afam(m): 4:34pm On May 26, 2009
1. The present generation of Nigerians (going by what they support and how they arrive at conclusions) in my opinion would be worse that the current crop of corrupt leaders we have in Nigeria.

2. Anyone that blames Ribadu for not going after Odili is either mad, ignorant or both because it was EFCC that was chasing him around when he got an order from a Nigerian court that he should not be touched. Same thing Orji Uzo Kalu did some time ago.

3. Anyone that believes that Ridabu did not achieve anything especially as regards chasing, catching, trying and exposing corruption in Nigeria is living in denial and should be thoroughly ashamed of himself or herself.

4. Every nation they say gets the type of leaders it deserves and with the way some of us think I guess it will not take a magician to know that some Nigerians are sycophants and hypocrites.

I guess we have to live with some of these outrageous and unfounded allegations against Ridabu all in the name of freedom of information otherwise some of us here have no business discussing anything outside the type of food we like to eat or whether or not we need to take our baths everyday.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by redsun(m): 4:43pm On May 26, 2009
It is scary the way some people reason on this forum,replicas of  what we are up against.Some of them think niger delta issue is tribal,forgetting that  it is a nigerian problem,every body is in the mess as long as the country remain one.People should unite and wipe away the scourge for good.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by agabaI23(m): 5:37pm On May 26, 2009
redsun:

Ribadu has a burning passion for a change but he is up against a brick wall.Home and away.
Afam:

1. The present generation of Nigerians (going by what they support and how they arrive at conclusions) in my opinion would be worse that the current crop of corrupt leaders we have in Nigeria.

2. Anyone that blames Ribadu for not going after Odili is either mad, ignorant or both because it was EFCC that was chasing him around when he got an order from a Nigerian court that he should not be touched. Same thing Orji Uzo Kalu did some time ago.

3. Anyone that believes that Ridabu did not achieve anything especially as regards chasing, catching, trying and exposing corruption in Nigeria is living in denial and should be thoroughly ashamed of himself or herself.

4. Every nation they say gets the type of leaders it deserves and with the way some of us think I guess it will not take a magician to know that some Nigerians are sycophants and hypocrites.

I guess we have to live with some of these outrageous and unfounded allegations against Ridabu all in the name of freedom of information otherwise some of us here have no business discussing anything outside the type of food we like to eat or whether or not we need to take our baths everyday.
Guys I just went through this thread today and I feel that the bolded portion is right on the money.
It is pathetic!
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-15845.0.html
See the responses of those who will stop at nothing to criticize the govt. and Ribadu. I am not against criticism but I am against hypocrisy.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by richard10: 5:55pm On May 26, 2009
@afam what is your point ?are you saying people who express anything contary to you are fools?sometimes i just wonder the way we reason in nigeria,when people dont agree with our point of views we resort to labelling them with negative terms,in democracy there is freedom of speech not because we want but its there to safeguard the society.
some people felt ribadu did a good job while some othersfeels that he was partial in his duties,end of story.for you to now to conclude that those who say he was partial will be criminals when they get to power is to say the least very sad
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Afam(m): 7:10am On May 27, 2009
richard10:

@afam what is your point ?are you saying people who express anything contary to you are fools?sometimes i just wonder the way we reason in nigeria,when people dont agree with our point of views we resort to labelling them with negative terms,in democracy there is freedom of speech not because we want but its there to safeguard the society.
some people felt ribadu did a good job while some othersfeels that he was partial in his duties,end of story.for you to now to conclude that those who say he was partial will be criminals when they get to power is to say the least very sad

My point is that we should learn to agree or disagree based on facts, logic and common sense.

Power is nothing without control so freedom of speech where people come up and begin to spread and sustain lies and misinformation all in the name of debate is wrong.

Wars have been fought based on lies, innocent people have been killed or maimed based on lies.

Having contrary opinion on anything based on facts or logic is fine but having contrary opinion based on lies, manufacturing of misleading information and total falsehood is not fine and should be condemned by all decent Nigerians.

So, I will prefer the present crop of corrupt leaders in Nigeria to have another 50 years or so in power because the level of reasoning even by the young educated Nigerians today is a complete embarrassment and would lead to chaos and total disorder if they are given opportunity to lead.

Tribal, ethnic, racial profiling and disdain for opinions that are not original to them, the I know it all attitude and preference for lies and falsehood over truth, facts and common sense are some of the qualities they want to bring to the tabe today and this will only mean one thing - disaster.

A typical young educated Nigerian would rather go to war than accept a simple mistake because he/she usually believes that he/she is perfect and is above mistakes.

Enjoy the holiday.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Nobody: 7:47am On May 27, 2009
it is only clear why corruption will not be reduced anytime soon in Nigeria

if you are here demonising Ribadu and you have benefited from the proceeds of corruption or related to someone who have benefited from the proceeds of corruption . . . . . I say kudos to you for being able to convincingly muddy the water and spin the truth.

If you have not benefited anyway from corruption . . . . . all I say to you is sorry for being a fool.

the reason why corruption will continue forever in Nigeria is because Nigerians don't know what they want. Think of it . . . . the IG who rigs election for his preffered candidate succeeds because decieved police coporals have been fooled into accepting peanuts and mortgaging their future.

Farida Waziri gets a traction for openly refusing to probe those who looted our common resources after collecting millions of $bribe and Nigerians in the form of journalist will spin the truth into something else

When Aondoakaa came making noise about 'rule of law' those who wear in the know pointed out that it was a slogan for exploiting legal bottlenecks to set the corrupt free . . . . . well now we know the truth.

Ribadu can only do his best . . . . but 10 X of Ribadu will always fail so long as Nigerians don't know what they want or wont demand it. Our corrupt leaders are not invincible . . . . we only make them invincible with our support.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by richard10: 8:47am On May 27, 2009
Lets us not get carried away by sentiments on this issue,nobody can dispute the fact that ribadu did a very good job at the EFCC at least he succeeded in putting the fear of GOD into many corrupt leaders and even had the courage to go after some big fishes,for this he will always be rememebered no matter what.
we all know he was removed by the corrupt powers that be,but like i like i said i love reasoning things based on facts and not sentiments,ribadu like other human beings made some mistakes,he carried out selective justices(i dont buy the idea for one day that we can fight corruption one sideded,i say no,nigeria will fight ALL,I REPEAT ALL corrupt leaders whereever they may be,those in power and those out of power)
What we should be concered as nigerians is to find out why ribadus were tied and by whom
SELECTIVE JUSTICE IS EQUAL TO INJUSTICE
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Afam(m): 10:35am On May 27, 2009
richard10:

Lets us not get carried away by sentiments on this issue,nobody can dispute the fact that ribadu did a very good job at the EFCC at least he succeeded in putting the fear of GOD into many corrupt leaders and even had the courage to go after some big fishes,for this he will always be rememebered no matter what.

My point exactly. We have seen people continually water down or dismiss any good thing he did while in office. No doubt, he made some mistakes but his positives far outweigh his mistakes and that is what matters.

richard10:

SELECTIVE JUSTICE IS EQUAL TO INJUSTICE

I beg to disagree here.

There is no where in the world where anyone can fight every corrupt person because it will not work.

Ribadu was removed because those that he investigated had connections and made good their threats to remove him when his backer (OBJ) left office.

What this means is that the president has the ultimate power as regards who gets removed so it would not make sense for Ribadu to have arrested or jailed OBJ (as that is the most repeated reference to his selective justice) while in power.

If you fight corruption, corruption fights back and things could get nasty, lives could be lost especially when the money involved is running into billions.

So, Ridadu needed a base to fall back on, he needed the support of OBJ who setup the commission in the first place and it would amount to gross stupidity for Ribadu to focus on OBJ and his friends when in reality there are a lot of corrupt Nigerians that are either real or perceived enemies of OBJ around (assuming all the people he investigated or arrested were OBJ's enemies that is).

I would not jail my own friends and relations just to be seen as being good when my enemies are guilty of the same offense. It does not make sense and we should not pretend it does.

Selective fight against corruption is 100% better than no fight at all.

Fraudsters took off from Nigeria. Corrupt Nigerians hid their monies (instead of flaunting them) while others relocated. Things were changing. Those powerful enough to be labeled untouchables were touched, investigated, jailed etc.

In spite of the short comings of Ridabu he remains the only Nigerian (of course with his team at the EFCC) that has risked his life the most to tackle the issue of corruption in the country.

This is a fact and facts don't lie.

Even Buhari and Idiagbon were in the executive arm of government and they were not responsible for enforcing WAI.

So, Buhari and Idiagbon's position could be compared to OBJ's position in tackling corruption.

But it was Ribadu the young fearless police officer that made us realize that indeed you can tackle corruption if we are ready to do so.

To deny this man his place in the history of this country would amount to a great injustice.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by agabaI23(m): 12:34pm On May 27, 2009
mikeansy:

Our corrupt leaders are not invincible . . . . we only make them invincible with our support.

Wow, I love this!
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by cre8tivity(f): 11:19am On May 29, 2009
we need to stop making noise about how great ribadu was as efcc chairman. as a matter of fact, ribadu is still the main reason why efcc lost her respect. with the power and access to money given to ribadu during his time as the chairman, anyone from the street of abuja could have easily done the same or even better job. the bush-boy needs to shut up and tell us about the missing money. he should also tell us about his personal list of the new administration he gave obj, when he was asked to go and clean up yaradua for presidential position.
he is a big fool that continues to make fool of himself all over the world. he is a thief and he should be punished.
''you just don't do the right thing the wrong way'' and this is the definition of the man called ribadu. this is what the history will retain for this bastard. the man should be caged.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by miquest: 7:49pm On May 29, 2009
mmaks:

@miquest
i hate to call u dumb but i guess that is what ur thinking reflects. u call ribadu a thief? that is the dumbest thing i have heard.i wonder what u will call that woman in efcc today.
ribadu tried to positively highlight the level of the damaging and endemic corruption in our society. he made sure that there was enough light thrown in that direction.he has set a precedent .let any other person who feels he can do better surpass his achievements. until that .i still see that guy as the best thing that has happened to the quest to sanitize naija. period

@ mmaks U can call me dumb as much as you want to,  who in Nigeria didn't know the corrupt practices of the federal government?? No light was thrown into it,  I only saw the likes of Obasanjo using the name of Efcc & Ribadu to hunt down those that were against him,  And when u talk about achievements,  the fact that he came out everyday on T.V to say Ibori is a thief doesn't mean the people don't know that,  He Humiliated his former boss,  the former IGP of police on National Television and you think the police wont get their revenge one day,  Bear in Mind that it was during tafa balaguns reign that He got the federal government to increase the salary of policemen,  did the disgrace stop the police for being as dirty as they are?? If you think Ibori was a thief I beg you to compare the achievements of Ibori & Odili in their various states,  Rivers states has the Highest state allocation in the state,  and not a single project was carried out in the 8yrs of the state,  I am not defending Gov. Ibori  but the reason his name was out in public was because he was the mastermind behind the resource control wahala with Obj,  Tell me if that is doing a clean job or witch hunting,  Mmaks if u think i am dumb it's probably because u have a very shallow mind and know nothing about politics and what goes around in ur environment cause u'll know better,  I wont talk about Mrs Farida until She finishes her tenure and we would look at her achievements & her flaws,  The same goes for Mr President,  Musa yar'Adua,  Let us see what they can achieve,  with the time we've given to them,
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Afam(m): 11:37am On Jun 01, 2009
rockhaven:

almighty GOD hates double standards,selective justice and that is the reason  why ribadu enemies are having the last laugh.
let him go  and repent before GOD before fighting corruption.he is just risking his life out of stupidity.he caged some and  turn blind eyes to the  rest inside OBJ FAMILY.

The content in bold refers, I want to believe that the enemies are the corrupt leaders, 419 scammers and other criminals he dealt with while in office.

Please confirm the above because I need to be sure that only the guilty and corrupt have been against Ribadu all along.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by agabaI23(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2009
Afam:

The content in bold refers, I want to believe that the enemies are the corrupt leaders, 419 scammers and other criminals he dealt with while in office.

Please confirm the above because I need to be sure that only the guilty and corrupt have been against Ribadu all along.
Please rock I am also waiting for your answer!
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by impish: 12:00am On Jun 02, 2009
ok, so, im no politics guru, just sum1 that cudnt sleep and decided to get his/her regular daily dose of NL gist. maybe its my analytical or tired mind talking, but really guys, a guy goes on the world's stage, making the accusations he just did and more (serious allegations for that matter), do u realistically think (or do we all just want to believe, cos our minds are naturaly programmed to believe the worst) that he will have some damning skeletons in his closet? Yes, he gave a not-so-great interview, I have too (havent we all, the pressure, the risk involved to his family etc), so who am I to talk, but he did come across to me as very well spoken, educated and intelligent. trust me, hes calculated it all very well. Maybe he cudve done a better job as EFCC chairman, maybe his hands were tied, maybe he was guilty of partial justice, but, I honestly doubt that he will be found guilty of any of the crimes he alleges to have been committed by these as yet unnamed ppls. he knows that if deemed serious enuf by the powers that be in the US, his claims will be investigated and so will he. that is his primary aim, isnt it? he cant be prosecuted for being partial or selevtive in his judgment, or can he? If so, we all better get our lawyers on standby.

lets face it, he wasnt perfect, many things that he cudve done better, Im sure even he wud admit that, but hes done more than any of us naijans hav done. all we do is post and bash, no? hes risked his life in service of his country. I was just asking myself if I cud do wot he did, and I am sorry, I am proudly naijan, but I cant. And so, rather than bash him, I hail him. Hes a very brave man. And I have nothin but respect for him.

Lastly, men, I subscribe to the principle of half bread is better than puff puff. Actually, no, I take that back, I wud take puff puff over half bread, anyday! Ok, so, my principle is half bread or puff puff is better than no bread. Wot Im tryin to say is, he got to some ppl. lets appreciate the work he did, now another has taken over, lets hope she can do a better job, and take down more greedy naijans!!! shey obj and his gang were protected with ribby in charge, now, under whose armpits will they hide? maybe its good that we keep changing the leadership at efcc, that way, no1 will be immune or invincible. I hope!
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by koribo(m): 9:28am On Jun 02, 2009
I am sick and tired of ignorant Nigerians accused Ribadus war against corruption as one-sided, My poinbts are as follows
1. Is it the right of a Thief to say one is partial because he was caught??

2. So because Ribadu did not catch everyone who was a thief he failed ? How many of you during your lifetimes have seen this many high profile Nigerians prosecuted for corruption?

3. Did Ribadu Promote himself ? What punishment was metted out to the people who endorsed his promotion?

4. Why are we trying to justify a system that says you cannot be promoted faster than your peers even if you outperform them , Which of those top shots policemen have arrested even one top shot for corruption.

5. Where is there ANY evidence that Ribadu was corrupt?

To all those Ribadu haters , i get very upset at the baseless arguments you put up most especially " Ribadu only went after Obasanjos enemies" , you have the odacity to say so only because you are also corrupt at heart. " The fact that others are doing it is NO justification for corruption , neither is it within your God or Man given rights to complain when caught.
I wish Ribadu all the Best . He is a Great Nigerian and a man worth emulating. The change to Waziri can only be compared to the change from Ngozi to nenadi, Yaradua has lost my vote of confidence.
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by agabaI23(m): 11:07am On Jun 02, 2009
Good one there koribo
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Nezan(m): 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2009
Ribadu is no saint,,,,,,,,,, his anti-corruption crusade was only directed at perceived OBJ enemies. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session by Truthonly(m): 3:28pm On Jun 03, 2009
I've always told those who cared to listen. The Nigerian problem is not a leadership problem parse. The Nigerian problem is actually a people problem.

These our leaders all came from amongst us. Its a pity really, but the truth is that our culture has become incomplete without corruption. In every facet of the polity, you see corruption written on the walls. Ribadu was and is still fighting a lost battle.

The situation will not get better, there are still lots of generations coming that must have their share of the loot. Its the order of the system, that's how it runs, that's the only way it will ever be.

I choose to think this way because it allows me a clear mind to construct a great future for myself without blaming or depending on some guy called 'government'. I advise you do the same Ribadu.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PUNCH Refutes Premium Times Plagiarism Claim / Militants Accuse Jonathan Of Sponsoring Them - Washington Post / Can Hoodlums Invade The Palace Of Oba Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.