Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:19 AM

See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong (2279 Views)

Why INEC Cancelled Re-run Vote In Parts Of Rivers / Kogi Poll: Wada Heads To Court / Kogi Poll: Resign Now, PDP Tells AGF, INEC Chair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 11:27pm On Nov 24, 2015
The INEC is a disappointment to moral justice for saying the All Progressive Congress APC should conduct a fresh primary to present a candidate as it flag bearer.

The big question here is, when an individual votes, who is he /she voting for? Is it the party or the candidate (personality)? This is because from my own point of view, the party is more or less like the football Jersey which is merely worn to differentiate a player of one team from the other, to enable the referee carry out his job effectively and for the players on the pitch to differentiate between a team mate and an opponent
This is because;

1. When an individual votes, he/she votes for a candidate and not the party.
2. Voting for a candidate means voting for the candidates personality.
3. It will be considered injustice at optimum height if the votes which were casted for late prince ABUBAKAR AUDU (i.e his personality) of The APC is transferred to another man.

Finally, if INEC proves that it is the party that votes are being casted for, then it's good enough to conduct a general election before the primaries. i.e after the general election then any party that emerges the winner will then present any candidate of their choice.

By the virtue of the points above , if a new primary election should be carried out by the APC, then a new general election must also be repeated.

No candidate should be imposed on the entire public whose interest must be of utmost importance.
If both parties believes that the candidates they would be presenting to the public is good enough, then the public is always ready to do their work which is to vote for their interest.
Just saying though, comments are allowed.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by kozmokaz(m): 11:44pm On Nov 24, 2015
I concur

1 Like

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Mynd44: 11:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
In Nigeria, you vote the party. Have you seen anyone's name on the ballot paper?

Why do you think once you have been voted you can't decamp to another party except your party is fractionalized?

4 Likes

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 25, 2015
respect80:
The INEC is a disappointment to moral justice for saying the All Progressive Congress APC should conduct a fresh primary to present a candidate as it flag bearer.

The big question here is, when an individual votes, who is he /she voting for? Is it the party or the candidate (personality)? This is because from my own point of view, the party is more or less like the football Jersey which is merely worn to differentiate a player of one team from the other, to enable the referee carry out his job effectively and for the players on the pitch to differentiate between a team mate and an opponent
This is because;

3. It will be considered injustice at optimum height if the votes which were casted for late prince ABUBAKAR AUDU (i.e his personality) of The APC is transferred to another man.

Finally, if INEC proves that it is the party that votes are being casted for, then it's good enough to conduct a general election before the primaries. i.e after the general election then any party that emerges the winner will then present any candidate of their choice.

By the virtue of the points above , if a new primary election should be carried out by the APC, then a new general election must also be repeated.

No candidate should be imposed on the entire public whose interest must be of utmost importance.
If both parties believes that the candidates they would be presenting to the public is good enough, then the public is always ready to do their work which is to vote for their interest.
. You shot yourself in the Leg when you made that football jersey example,, Ronaldo Plays or Not, Madrid must play its game with other Players....in Tennis, If Serena Williams is supposed to represent the United States, and gets injured on the day of the tournament, another USA player would be asked to replace her, even in world cup during the group stages,if a Player I sent home due to one fault or the other he can be replaced as well before tournament...The Nigerian consitution explicitly hands Exclusive power to the party cos they are the ones to sponsor the candidate,the candidate. Doesn't have the financial muscle or resources to reach all his constituents. This is the reason u see the broomstick signature for APC and Umbrella for PDP in Ballot papers. In some other climes where independent candidates stand,that's a different ball game but in Nigeria the party is greater than the candidate cos of the collective interest at stake. Moreover INEC terribly messed up by stalling that election and the answer is simple, some Forces in APC weren't comfortable to learn that if everything went smoothly, faleke might be declared as governor designate, so they compelled inec to render it inconclusive so that another candidate can be installed as the Governorship candidate. The belive is That Faleke is Tinubus boy

6 Likes

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 1:30am On Nov 25, 2015
Justdulla:
. You shot yourself in the Leg when you made that football jersey example,, Ronaldo Plays or Not, Madrid must play its game with other Players....in Tennis, If Serena Williams is supposed to represent the United States, and gets injured on the day of the tournament, another USA player would be asked to replace her, even in world cup during the group stages,if a Player I sent home due to one fault or the other he can be replaced as well before tournament...The Nigerian consitution explicitly hands Exclusive power to the party cos they are the ones to sponsor the candidate,the candidate. Doesn't have the financial muscle or resources to reach all his constituents. This is the reason u see the broomstick signature for APC and Umbrella for PDP in Ballot papers. In some other climes where independent candidates stand,that's a different ball game but in Nigeria the party is greater than the candidate cos of the collective interest at stake. Moreover INEC terribly messed up by stalling that election and the answer is simple, some Forces in APC weren't comfortable to learn that if everything went smoothly, faleke might be declared as governor designate, so they compelled inec to render it inconclusive so that another candidate can be installed as the Governorship candidate. The belive is That Faleke is Tinubus boy
Also on sport example you used, if Lionel Messi was to be awarded the balloon D' or and he dies then the award can be given to Iniesta because he's messi's team mate right
It's just that we have misinterpreted the concept of voting because from your reasoning there is no need for an election, all INEC would have needed would be to leave a space on the voters card where your party of interest would be indicated since the vote is for the party.
Well on the other hand, If you were sent to my dad to give him some money and on reaching our home you met me wearing my dad's cloth will you give me the money and return to the person who sent you to tell him you have given my dad the money
In political context even if the party has a lot of power, the power is meant to be bestowed on just one person per position that is why when you attain any position the public becomes your owner not the party ideally i. e the party is just being used to vindicate the candidate as accepted by certain members of the public.
That's why when our president speak, we don't say "APC said" rather we say PMB said... wink

2 Likes

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 7:00am On Nov 25, 2015
respect80:

Also on sport example you used, if Lionel Messi was to be awarded the balloon D' or and he dies then the award can be given to Iniesta because he's messi's team mate right
It's just that we have misinterpreted the concept of voting because from your reasoning there is no need for an election, all INEC would have needed would be to leave a space on the voters card where your party of interest would be indicated since the vote is for the party.
Well on the other hand, If you were sent to my dad to give him some money and on reaching our home you met me wearing my dad's cloth will you give me the money and return to the person who sent you to tell him you have given my dad the money
In political context even if the party has a lot of power, the power is meant to be bestowed on just one person per position that is why when you attain any position the public becomes your owner not the party ideally i. e the party is just being used to vindicate the candidate as accepted by certain members of the public.
That's why when our president speak, we don't say "APC said" rather we say PMB said... wink
When contesting for balloon D' or Lionel messi isn't representing Barcelona but himself. When playing a tournament he is representing Barcelona . During elections a candidate is always representing his party and not himself . This is why in Nigeria we can have no independent candidate like in some other countries. You get the difference?

2 Likes

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Warlord3000(m): 7:19am On Nov 25, 2015
Interesting and funny.... But nonetheless...

Election is not a one man game and a team work and in this case.. The political party is the TEAM
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by ndcide(m): 7:57am On Nov 25, 2015
Mynd44:
In Nigeria, you vote the party. Have you seen anyone's name on the ballot paper?

Why do you think once you have been voted you can't decamp to another party except your party is fractionalized?

Thanks only for the legislature.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by ndcide(m): 7:57am On Nov 25, 2015
Mynd44:

That's only for the legislature.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 9:23am On Nov 25, 2015
Imagine voting Buhari and the party later replaces him with Tinubu or Okorocha

Most electorates will always say "we vote for candidate and not the party" even former governor of Akwaibom State and chieftain of PDP, Obong Victor Attah supported Umana of APC for Akwaibom governor while still in PDP

This is a rape on democracy.

Poor Nigerians
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by LastSurvivor: 9:29am On Nov 25, 2015
I vote for personality not party..
That's the only reason why I would vote for El rufai (APC) and Goodluck Jonathan (PDP) during the last election.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 10:41am On Nov 25, 2015
Ichiato:

When contesting for balloon D' or Lionel messi isn't representing Barcelona but himself. When playing a tournament he is representing Barcelona . During elections a candidate is always representing his party and not himself . This is why in Nigeria we can have no independent candidate like in some other countries. You get the difference?

Whether the candidates are representing the party or not the question is who are the public voting for
The candidate or the party
If it's the party then it should be possible to conduct a general election before the primaries.
This also means the party at any point in time can withdraw their mandate and give it to a new person if they so wish.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 25, 2015
respect80:

Whether the candidates are representing the party or not the question is who are the public voting for
The candidate or the party
If it's the party then it should be possible to conduct a general election before the primaries.
This also means the party at any point in time can withdraw their mandate and give it to a new person if they so wish.
its in fact the party you're voting for and in extention the candidate. The candidate is only necessary to make a decision on the party to vote for.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by sayemma: 11:29am On Nov 25, 2015
There is nothing like independent candidate in the electoral act and constitution, it is the party that have d say oooooo
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
Ichiato:
its in fact the party you're voting for and in extention the candidate. The candidate is only necessary to make a decision on the party to vote for.

Hmmm
I'm sad that you think in this dimension because if it's the party you are voting for then what is the need for primaries before general election.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 7:23pm On Nov 25, 2015
sayemma:
There is nothing like independent candidate in the electoral act and constitution, it is the party that have d say oooooo

No one is talking of independent candidate.
Even ten people can decide to form a party and name it whatever, they can conduct a primary and [size=20pt]present a candidate to the public [/size] so don't take the issue of party to mean a multitude of crowd.

The party is to present the candidate to the public as a way of telling the public that this person is good enough to rule them and if they are convinced, then they can go ahead and vote for the candidate presented by the party.
Mynd44:

Because the candidates may be namesake but can never be partysake grin permit me to say.
Therefore the party is used to clearly differentiate between each candidate

Mynd44:
This means the party can withdraw it's mandate at any point in time and give it to any other person they desire moreover the public have voted for the party already so they can continue switching their candidates may be monthly
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by shenaitim(m): 7:46pm On Nov 25, 2015
respect80:

This is because;

Hmmm...
Well I heard some arguments between some lawyers about this issue and I must say it's quite complex.
First off. One argument stands- the Nigerian constitution doesn't make any provision for individual candidature. This mean voting is primarily to party. That's why even the ballot paper doesn't carry the names of individual but of parties. So when we votes, we vote for party BECAUSE of the individual, not vice versa. So...using your analogy of football, what happens when a player is injured or can't play anymore ?HE IS SUBSTITUTED! I believe this is the road INEC is towing.
On the other hand, I argue that if one votes for party not individual, thereby implying that the victory and the consequent running of the office is primarily by the ruling party ,why doesn't the power remain with the party in an event when the individual decamps?
Please any lawyer in the house to help out?
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 9:10pm On Nov 25, 2015
shenaitim:

Hmmm...
Well I heard some arguments between some lawyers about this issue and I must say it's quite complex.
First off. One argument stands- the Nigerian constitution doesn't make any provision for individual candidature. This mean voting is primarily to party. That's why even the ballot paper doesn't carry the names of individual but of parties. So when we votes, we vote for party BECAUSE of the individual, not vice versa. So...using your analogy of football, what happens when a player is injured or can't play anymore ?HE IS SUBSTITUTED! I believe this is the road INEC is towing.
On the other hand, I argue that if one votes for party not individual, thereby implying that the victory and the consequent running of the office is primarily by the ruling party ,why doesn't the power remain with the party in an event when the individual decamps?
Please any lawyer in the house to help out?
If the vote is for the party then the party should have the right to withdraw it mandate from a sitting Governor or perhaps they can be switching the candidates monthly...
Also it should be possible to conduct a general election before the primaries since the vote is for the party and not the candidate. i.e after the general election then any party that emerges the winner can then conduct it primaries
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
respect80:

Hmmm
I'm sad that you think in this dimension because if it's the party you are voting for then what is the need for primaries before general election.
I thought I explained that in my last post. The candidates represent the party. Without a candidate to represent the party, then the party don't exit. Its like asking why real madrid club must select twelve players to represent it in a tournament. That is the way the Nigerian law is.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 1:14am On Nov 26, 2015
Ichiato:
I thought I explained that in my last post. The candidates represent the party. Without a candidate to represent the party, then the party don't exit. Its like asking why real madrid club must select twelve players to represent it in a tournament. That is the way the Nigerian law is.

In that case the players are representing realmadrid only not the entirety of Spain as long as that tournament is concerned.

NOT EVERYONE WHO VOTED FOR LATE PRINCE ABUBAKAR AUDU IS A MEMBER OF APC THEREFORE, SOME VOTED FOR HIS PERSONALITY AS A PERSON.
So the party is just trying to make a suggestion to the public by telling them that the candidate is good enough to rule them because when the candidate wins he/she becomes the public's property not just the party.
Every other relationships going on between the candidate and those(party) who suggested he/she to the public becomes a personal relationship.
I keep saying that if the vote is for the party then it should not be enforced to run a primary election before a general election because it should be possible for a general election to be conducted and whichever party wins will now be asked to present the candidate of it choice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 1:26am On Nov 26, 2015
Justdulla:

That can happen in sports because there is provision for that before hand but in politics it only happens when the candidate presented to the public attains the position then he/she identifies some group of people along his or herself (deputy, the house of Representatives and so on) who may work in his or her stead should any situation make him or her unavailable.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by shenaitim(m): 3:53am On Nov 26, 2015
respect80:

If the vote is for the party then the party should have the right to withdraw it mandate from a sitting Governor or perhaps they can be switching the candidates monthly...
Also it should be possible to conduct a general election before the primaries since the vote is for the party and not the candidate. i.e after the general election then any party that emerges the winner can then conduct it primaries

Our laws don't give such provisions .If it did, maybe that would have been the case. But it's not. Wishful thinking isn't enough for hypothesis.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by respect80(m): 6:58am On Nov 26, 2015
shenaitim:

Or laws don't give such provisions .If the did, maybe that would have been the case. But it's not. Wishful thinking isn't enough for hypothesis.

But the law however gave a provision for one man's vote to be transferred to another man right Even when the election is yet to be concluded.
Please the vote is for the candidate not the party forget the fact that we the underdeveloped world take political party to mean something else.

Kindly open the link below but don't bother to read everything just scroll to the last five lines and so you can understand that the vote is actually for the candidate.

https://www.nairaland.com/2763168/kogi-poll-pdp-weighs-options
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Drabbaudu: 7:22am On Nov 26, 2015
You had passed judgement in this unconstitutional case in our national
. The AGF & APC members to think about future as a nation and Nigerians
in the case. Thanks.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by AZeD1(m): 7:25am On Nov 26, 2015
respect80:

The supreme court judgement in Amaechi vs Omehia says it all.
Omehia was the candidate, Amaechi became governor.

Go and read the judgement....

1 Like

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:37am On Nov 26, 2015
LastSurvivor:
I vote for personality not party..
That's the only reason why I would vote for El rufai (APC) and Goodluck Jonathan (PDP) during the last election.
Sorry, in the eyes of the law, you voted PDP and APC in the Presidential and Guber elections respectively. Do you know why Agbaje's case against Fashola was thrown out in 2007? Lemme remind you... Agbaje went to court to claim that his picture wasn't on the ballot and as such electorates were unable to identify him. The court ruled that as long as HIS PARTY(DPA) was on the ballot, then he has no case. Note that INEC published pictures of contestants side-by-side with party logo on that election.

As for Kogi, the votes belong to APC and NOT Audu. Naturally, James Faleke should step up while APC nominates a new running-mate. That's the legal thing to do by inference.

1 Like

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by toniok: 7:39am On Nov 26, 2015
Audi Abubakar had been contesting elections before now (under different political parties) and had failed. Why did Kogi people not vote him in, if it was only the candidate that matters ( and not the party). Everybody has refused to ask this question. My advice is that the party greatly affects success in elections. Therefore APC should be allowed to replace the deceased.

1 Like

Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by shenaitim(m): 9:29am On Nov 26, 2015
respect80:

But the law however gave a provision for one man's vote to be transferred to another man right Even when the election is yet to be concluded.
Please the vote is for the candidate not the party forget the fact that we the underdeveloped world take political party to mean something else.

Kindly open the link below but don't bother to read everything just scroll to the last five lines and so you can understand that the vote is actually for the candidate.

https://www.nairaland.com/2763168/kogi-poll-pdp-weighs-options

I read the whole thing. The portion you said I should concentrate on is nothing but an opinion of one individual. I feel our laws are higher than our opinions. So you want a fresh election, Knowing the time frame and all? Or you prefer Wada to be declared as being the only living candidate with the highest votes? I see your point though. But the only way it can be adopted as a national practice is if you write to the Senate and push for an amendment.
Re: See Why INEC's Decision About Kogi Poll Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 26, 2015
respect80:

In that case the players are representing realmadrid only not the entirety of Spain as long as that tournament is concerned.

NOT EVERYONE WHO VOTED FOR LATE PRINCE ABUBAKAR AUDU IS A MEMBER OF APC THEREFORE, SOME VOTED FOR HIS PERSONALITY AS A PERSON.
So the party is just trying to make a suggestion to the public by telling them that the candidate is good enough to rule them because when the candidate wins he/she becomes the public's property not just the party.
Every other relationships going on between the candidate and those(party) who suggested he/she to the public becomes a personal relationship.
I keep saying that if the vote is for the party then it should not be enforced to run a primary election before a general election because it should be possible for a general election to be conducted and whichever party wins will now be asked to present the candidate of it choice.
All this back and forth sef. You keep repeating the bolded. You can also ask why the Nigerian law made it compulsory for candidates to come under a party. If you are truely voting for the person and not the party then the person should be able to come out as independent candidate.

(1) (Reply)

GRAPHIC PHOTOS: Army Kills Militants After Airstrike In Arepo, Ogun State / Ex-senate President, Nnamani Set To Lead Enugu PDP Chieftains To APC / Alleged $40m Scam: Drama As EFCC Witnesses Deny Dealing With Gej’s Cousin, Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.