Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,296 members, 7,850,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:25 PM

CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment (2011 Views)

PENGASSAN Shuts Down PPPRA Offices Over Appointment Issues (Photo) / Ifeanyichukwu Okonkwo Drags Buhari To Court Over Appointment Of Customs’ Boss / Buhari Disgraces CBN Gov, Godwin Emefiele, Jim Ovia, Tony Elumelu, Wale Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Ijawman(m): 5:27am On May 26, 2009
CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’Adua over Appointment
From Sufuyan Ojeifo in Abuja, 05.26.2009

Chairman,  Senate Committee on Housing and Urban Development, Senator Ikechukwu Obiorah (Anambra South), has written to President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua, advising him on the need to adhere to the principle of federal character in the appointment of a new Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor.
Obiorah's letter, dated May 25, 2009, came on the heels of media reports, which indicated that Sanusi Lamido Sanusi from Kano State, is being slated to succeed Professor Chukwuma Soludo, as governor of the nation's apex bank.
In the one-page letter, entitled: "The Need to reflect Federal Character Principle in the Finance Sub-sector," Obiorah said  Minister of Finance, Dr Mansur Muhtar and  Minister of National Planning, Dr Shamsudeen Usman were both from Kano.
The letter, signed by Obiorah, reads in part: "recent newspaper reports, particularly the un-refuted THISDAY front page stories of May 23, 2009, and May 24, 2009, indicated that Sanusi Lamido Sanusi from Kano State is being slated for appointment as the next Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria.
"I am, therefore, compelled with the highest sense of responsibility, to advert your mind to the fact that the other two heads of the finance sub-sector to wit: Dr Shamsudeen Usman,  Minister of National Planning; and, Dr Mansur Muhtar, the Minister of Finance, are both from Kano State.
"The appointment of another person from Kano State to head the Central Bank of Nigeria will therefore, offend the letter and spirit of Section 14(3) of the 1999 Constitution, which mandates the compliance with the Federal Character principle in the composition of government or its agencies or part thereof."
Obiorah said  his intervention should not be construed as promoting a North/South or zonal dichotomy. "But rather, it should be seen as an abiding need to ensure that out of the 36 states of the federation, one state only should not produce persons to head an entire finance sub-sector of the Nigerian economy."
He expressed the hope that the president would find his advice necessary, "especially with your avowed commitment to the Rule of Law and Due Process."
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Ijawman(m): 5:30am On May 26, 2009
Kano is a ''blessed'' state grin grin
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Nobody: 5:43am On May 26, 2009
Sanusi Lamido can stay if appointed as CBN Governor

I have no clue what Shamsudeen Usman is doing in any part of Government

The guy is a do nothing Minister

As minister for National Planning you will think he will come up with necessary reforms to help the National Identity scheme so that Microfinance banks will at least have a credible database to work with in terms of customer identification. Or at least come come up with new strategies to get our census right . . . . .he has not done either . . . . all the man does is sit in one place and play politics . . . . . . .why can't they sack him?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by biina: 8:13am On May 26, 2009
which one be minister for national planning sef? what is he planning?
Just another avenue for embezzlement angry
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Edoji: 7:53pm On May 26, 2009
Whither Federal Character?

Does President Umaru Yar'Adua believe in the principle of federal character in view of his purported appointment of a new Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

On the basis of speculation that Malam Sanusi Lamido from Kano State had been pencilled down to succeed Professor Chukwuma Soludo whose first term as CBN governor ends on Friday, the choice of Lamido would put the financial levers of the country on persons from Kano State against the principle of federal character.
Already the Minister of Finance, Dr. Mansur Muhtar and the Minister of National Planning, Dr. Shamsudeen Usman, are from Kano State.

Moreover the Chief Economic Adviser to the President, Dr. Tanimu Yakubu, is from the neighbouring Katsina State.

from www.elombah.com
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by MaiSuya(m): 9:04pm On May 26, 2009
The whole issue of federal character is subject anybody's interpretation.

No matter what he does, there will always be howls of marginalization from every corner of the country.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On May 26, 2009
The senator is full of crap!!
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by naijaking1: 10:12pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You're definitely the one full of crap grin
Every Nigerian has a duty to speak up on relevant issues at the appropriate time.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 10:17pm On May 26, 2009
naijaking1:

You're definitely the one full of crap grin
Every Nigerian has a duty to speak up on relevant issues at the appropriate time.

Can you tell me that your endorsement of this senator's letter is NOT tribally motivated in any way? Just simple answer will suffice!!

This is why I say he is full of crap and I generally apply the same to your analysis of issues that have to deal with these issues. So you are willing to ignore the fact that the man installed is likely the MOST qualified simply because you want your own man installed( even if there is none from your tribe that can measure up at this time)?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by strangleyo: 10:19pm On May 26, 2009
We should appoint people on merit. I'm tired of this ethnic rotation crap. The next president of Nigeria should be elected on merit, not on "it's my turn" policy.

And its certainly very important for the CBN governor to be well ready if we plan to gather further foreign investment.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 26, 2009
My question what has Sanusi done to deserve the appointment?

Read his profile, wasnt too impressed.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On May 26, 2009
strangleyo:

We should appoint people on merit. I'm tired of this ethnic rotation crap. The next president of Nigeria should be elected on merit, not on "it's my turn" policy.

And its certainly very important for the CBN governor to be well ready if we plan to gather further foreign investment.

Precisely!!!

One minute you have people accusing a senator of practising tribalism, the next minute we are hailing senators from our own end for practising the same. I don't understand how people are unable to see how hypocritical and utterly ridiculous that practise is.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by biina: 10:32pm On May 26, 2009
It is good to carry every ethnic group along in government so that some will not feel marginalized, but ethnic sentiments should always take a back seat to merit (with competence riding shotgun).

I will always take a guy from any remote ethnicity, who performs well in office, over my own kinsman who is incompetent. Of what use is my kinsman being in office, if he cannot improve the prospects of my descendants.

The source of our problems has never been our ethnic differences, but our leaders not being answerable to the people.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by naijaking1: 10:45pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Can you tell me that your endorsement of this senator's letter is NOT tribally motivated in any way? Just simple answer will suffice!!

This is why I say he is full of crap and I generally apply the same to your analysis of issues that have to deal with these issues. So you are willing to ignore the fact that the man installed is likely the MOST qualified simply because you want your own man installed( even if there is none from your tribe that can measure up at this time)?

Simple answer, NO, my answer is not tribally motivated.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 10:51pm On May 26, 2009
naijaking1:

Simple answer, NO, my answer is not tribally motivated.

If your answer is a definite NO, then please explain to me why you would consider this obviously TRIBALLY MOTIVATED push by this senator, RELEVANT?  What is RELEVANT about this? I mean he is not writing to tell the president to make sure that the person appointed is the MOST QUALIFIED for the job( regardless of ethnic background).
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by vigasimple(m): 10:54pm On May 26, 2009
I am afraid I will have to agree to some extent with the SENATOR on this. Look guys, these are three important related area, National planning, Finance and CBN, all the people from KANO STATE.

Secondly, the guy at National Planning has been at Finance before, his wife before him. YOu may not see it, but I can see a pattern of Nepotism here, OIL and GAS, another Northern old boy is the minister.

YAR A'CLUELESS became President of this country not on merit but on Federal character, so that should continue to include all the minister.

On the issue of do nothing minister, you can't really blame him, YAR A'DULL is the head of  A DO NOTHING government, of POVERTY DEVELOPMENT PARTY.

When the leader leads a DO NOTHING PARTY, then the followers or ministers cannot be blame for not doing anything as he is just following orders. Somebody from south south. south west or other Northern minorities will do well.

Those appointments are deliberate, these KASTINA , KADUNA  and KANO MAFIAS are converging with their own CABALS, so YAR A'VISIONLESS should not come out next week and said that some CABALS  are stopping the flow of money or smoking our foreign reserves because he made them in the first place.

YES we like merit, but when it concern a southerner, the North will talk of merit and federal character interchangably to fit into their own viewpoint.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by naijaking1: 10:57pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Precisely!!!

One minute you have people accusing a senator of practising tribalism, the next minute we are hailing senators from our own end for practising the same. I don't understand how people are unable to see how hypocritical and utterly ridiculous that practise is.

Precisely my behind-o!
You have almost 10,000 rambling, uncordinated, and sometimes-outrightly-stupid posts on this N/L; trying to express your opinion and influence others with your views, and you think that a senator of the federal repubic of Nigeria, whose real job it is to debate, question, and pass bills has no right to express his opinion to the president? That it is crap to question why all the offices that control our money are controlled by people from one state One state alone

I have seen people call you a tribalist on this forum, but I just can't believe my korokoro eyes till now: you're as raw, as blind, and as idiotic a tribalist as they come.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 10:59pm On May 26, 2009
vigasimple:

I am afraid I will have to agree to some extent with the SENATOR on this. Look guys, these are three important related area, National planning, Finance and CBN, all the people from KANO STATE.

Secondly, the guy at National Planning has been at Finance before, his wife before him. YOu may not see it, but I can see a pattern of Nepotism here, OIL and GAS, another Northern old boy is the minister.

YAR A'CLUELESS became President of this country not on merit but on Federal character, so that should continue to include all the minister.

On the issue of do nothing minister, you can't really blame him, YAR A'DULL is the head of A DO NOTHING government, of POVERTY DEVELOPMENT PARTY.

When the leader leads a DO NOTHING PARTY, then the followers or ministers cannot be blame for not doing anything as he is just following orders. Somebody from south south. south west or other Northern minorities will do well.

Those appointments are deliberate, these KASTINA , KADUNA and KANO MAFIAS are converging with their own CABALS, so YAR A'VISIONLESS should not come out next week and said that some CABALS are stopping the flow of money or smoking our foreign reserves because he made them in the first place.

YES we like merit, but when it concern a southerner, the North will talk of merit and federal character interchangably to fit into their own viewpoint.

I sort of agree with you on this @Vigasimple, however I still think the Senator is majorly wrong in this. Making this a North/South issue, instead of calling for Yar adua to ensure that he installs the right people for the job is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go here.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by naijaking1: 11:05pm On May 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I sort of agree with you on this @Vigasimple, however I still think the Senator is majorly wrong in this. Making this a North/South issue, instead of calling for Yar adua to ensure that he installs the right people for the job is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go here.

You're the one to begin using the big T--word here, you're the one blindly making it a north/south issue. The senator rightly pointed out what's obvious. Tell me any factually incorrect statement from the senator, are you simply mad because he observed it?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by asha80(m): 11:05pm On May 26, 2009
So we really think yardua is interested in putting people in various position on merit?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 1:45am On May 27, 2009
asha 80:

So we really think yardua is interested in putting people in various position on merit?

For one, we are in a recession. Not just any recession, a GLOBAL RECESSION. Do we really need to be playing TRIBAL GAMES at this crucial time? Or do we need to install people who have the best experience to get the job done?

Sure, Yar dua could act a fool and install someone based on TRIBAL allegiance or whatever, BUT do you really think it is wise for your senators to pander to such stupidity at this time, considering they are supposed to be closest to the people and should be more focused on what would benefit the Country as a whole rather than playing the idiot's game?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Nobody: 2:08am On May 27, 2009
as much as am particularly disinterested in the origin of who the next CBN Governor . . . . . . I dont think we need to break the laws of the land to do the right thing.

If the President honestly thinks Federal Character does not mean much to him then he should send a bill to National assembly abolishing it on the grounds that he will rather enthrone merit. I believe even the Senator in question will vote for abolition of federal character.

While I believe that Sanusi Lamido is as qualified as anyone to be CBN Governor . . . . . I don't think the Senator is wrong to point out that the laws of the land is being broken no matter how outdated the particularly laws may be.

So we either have to respect the laws in some form or abolish it.

Because I dont know what qualifies Tanimu Kurfi as economic adviser, neither do I think Shamsudeen USman is  target driven and should be minister in any capacity in Government.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Kobojunkie: 2:25am On May 27, 2009

SECTION 14 of the Nigerian Constitution
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

14. (1) The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall be a State based on the principles of democracy and social justice.

(2) It is hereby, accordingly, declared that:

(a) sovereignty belongs to the people of Nigeria from whom government through this Constitution derives all its powers and authority;

(b) the security and welfare of the people shall be the primary purpose of government: and

(c) the participation by the people in their government shall be ensured in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

(3) The composition of the Government of the Federation or any of its agencies and the conduct of its affairs shall be carried out in such a manner as to reflect the federal character of Nigeria and the need to promote national unity, and also to command national loyalty, thereby ensuring that there shall be no predominance of persons from a few State or from a few ethnic or other sectional groups in that Government or in any of its agencies.

(4) The composition of the Government of a State, a local government council, or any of the agencies of such Government or council, and the conduct of the affairs of the Government or council or such agencies shall be carried out in such manner as to recognise the diversity of the people within its area of authority and the need to promote a sense of belonging and loyalty among all the people of the Federation.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by naijaking1: 2:49am On May 27, 2009
In the US from where we supposedly copied our present form of government, a senator can use procedural tactics to stop any federal appointment by the president, example was the stopping of the new Obama FEMA director by Sen. Vitter of LA.

In Nigeria, aspertions are cast on a senator for simply reminding the president of the need to follow the laws of the land.
There is no need to cut and paste sections of the Nigerian constitution, we have it already, thank you angry
However, there is a need to be objective(even if you're not fair) in discussing the affairs of our nation.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by romeo(m): 3:41am On May 27, 2009
Kobojunkie:

The senator is full of crap but you copied and pasted a section of the constitution the senator was refering to undecided

Estas bien Kobojunkie?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Afaukwu: 4:42am On May 27, 2009
Kobojunkie is a junkie whose thinking is at best junkish. Nigeria is practicing federal character. Why anyone should be against the constitution beats me. Why one state should produce 2 ministers + CBN gov occupying related ministries/position beats me. The senator did not say hausa/igbo/yoruba. He simply noted that Kano alone has 3 officials in a similar office. That is not national spread; that is not federal character. When Nigeria begins to practice merit, it should expunge the federal character thing  from its book. Until then, we must practice federal charater. Is Sanusi of Kano State the only qualified Nigerian to head the CBN? NO!
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by biina: 5:14am On May 27, 2009
Irrespective of motives and the constitution, the senator (along with every Nigerian) has the right to question the president's appointment of only people from a particular state (or region) into key positions in a specific sub-sector. It becomes more suspicious when the president himself is from the same region.

The question in of itself does not mean that the president's appointments are primarily based on ethnicity, but that is up to the president to clarify when defending the appointments.

We shouldn't wait until the entire cabinet is made up of only people from a particular region before raising questions.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Nobody: 5:48am On May 27, 2009
I AM DOING THIS POST FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT NOT NECESSARILY THAT IT IS RELEVANT TO THIS DEBATE

KOBO CAN BE SO FUNNY!!!!

Kobojunkie:

For one, we are in a recession. Not just any recession, a GLOBAL RECESSION. Do we really need to be playing TRIBAL GAMES at this crucial time? Or do we need to install people who have the best experience to get the job done?

Sure, Yar dua could act a fool and install someone based on TRIBAL allegiance or whatever, BUT do you really think it is wise for your senators to pander to such stupidity at this time, considering they are supposed to be closest to the people and should be more focused on what would benefit the Country as a whole rather than playing the idiot's game?

Please how did you arrive at the conclusion that it is right for the President to pander to the wish of a particular constituency but then a Senator must take a wholistic and National view on issues

grin grin grin

Please tell us you were half asleep when you made that argument and I think the house will welcome your withdrawal
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by RichyBlacK(m): 6:01am On May 27, 2009
Some charlatans only remember "federal character" when it comes to UME results/admission, NDA/NMS placements, NYSC postings, awards of federal scholarships to study abroad (that one hard sef), etc. It is evident that applying "merit" in these areas will guarantee that some regions of the country will be abysmally under-represented. However, when it comes to federal appointments, these imbeciles summarily discard the "federal character"concept because it would get in the way of creating a hegemony to control key sectors of the economy.

The Nigerian government remains the most useless in the universe!
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Nobody: 6:04am On May 27, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Some charlatans only remember "federal character" when it comes to UME results/admission, NDA/NMS placements, NYSC postings, awards of federal scholarships to study abroad (that one hard sef), etc. It is evident that applying "merit" in these areas will guarantee that some regions of the country will be abysmally under-represented. However, when it comes to federal appointments, these imbeciles summarily discard the "federal character"concept because it would get in the way of creating a hegemony to control key sectors of the economy.

The Nigerian government remains the most useless in the universe!

I agree with you.
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Nobody: 6:13am On May 27, 2009
Like Head of NNPC and Minister of Petroleum Resources all from one region

they even bypassed the incumbent minister of state Odein Ajumugbia to appoint Rilwanu Lukman.

Has Lukman done anything differently since appointed?
Re: CBN Gov: Senator Writes Yar’adua Over Appointment by Afam(m): 7:35am On May 27, 2009
The Senator is 100% correct in his letter.

Guys, we need to understand that formal education does not equal intelligence so Kobojunkie must be forgiven for making yet another clueless and useless statement based on complete ignorance on the issue at hand.

Nigeria is a multi ethnic, multi-tribal, multi-religious country and for the interest of peace and unity certain things have been included in the constitution to safeguard the different groups that make up Nigeria.

Is power rotation democratic? No.

Is it the best we can get for now? Yes.

Wars have been fought based on perceived or real injustices and marginalization. There are countries still at war with some parts of the countries today based on things like these.

Must we fight another in Nigeria? (Even militants in the ND are engaging the NA as we discuss this based on injustices and neglect).

So, we need to understand the issue on ground before making sometimes careless statements based on gross ignorance.

Having a formal education is one thing, using the brain to think properly is entirely a different kettle of fish.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Ohakim Loots Imo State / Assault Nigeria - Navy Appeals Judgment On Uzoma Okere / Adeboye Wants Thief Bode George Released? A Friend Of Thieves Is A Thief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.