Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Time To Discuss OIL - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Time To Discuss OIL (1917 Views)

Ibrahim Magu Meets Wole Soyinka To Discuss How To Fight Corruption - Photos / #dasukigate: Falae Calls Bode George To Discuss The Money Received / Buhari Leaves For S-africa Today To Discuss With China’s President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Boss13: 10:07pm On Nov 29, 2015
mikolo80:
we need to stop importing and start producing those imported goods

My thought exactly. Can we imagine that we import sardines? What is sardines - Titus fish and groundnut oil. Even sugar . Sugar is Mauritius main export and their economy is better than Nigeria
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by mikolo80: 10:42pm On Nov 29, 2015
Boss13:

My thought exactly. Can we imagine that we import sardines? What is sardines - Titus fish and groundnut oil. Even sugar . Sugar is Mauritius main export and their economy is better than Nigeria
Just don't know what our bankers, cooperators and stock brokers are learning in school. what stops redeem church from planting sugar plantation and building sugar refinery instead of private university producing graduates for jobless market.imagine if teachers or cooperative invest in mega fish ponds. or nlc build refinery for petrol, cocoa op palm oil. well hopefully well soon come back and try to set these up

1 Like

Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 29, 2015
One of my cousins is married to a South Korean woman. I saw pictures of that country and I cried for Nigeria. They have no single drop of oil. They were far poorer than Nigeria in the 60s and 70s. They were so poor that even Haiti that we laugh at today used to give South Korea aid. This is why South Korea was the first country to send aid to Haiti when the earthquake happened. South Korea with a population of 50 million has a nominal Gdp close to $1.4 trillion. What are we doing to ourselves and future generation?
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by mandarin: 11:06pm On Nov 29, 2015
Great to be here.
I still stand by my prediction of $40 a barrel expectation from oil in the international market. Our rise in public workforce, duplication of offices and roles and retinue of needless advisers in government stemmed from high oil prices. It has also remained the core reasons why true federalism ir regionalism is not practiced, bred militancy and created loads of wealthy oil oligarchs.
Oil at around $25-$40 a barrel will bring about leaner government, help focus on non oil sector, tax expansion, accountability and will draw creativity into governance but if there's failure I pray there won't be:
1. Structural collapse.
2.Socioeconomic challenges
3. Increased fiscal rascality

That's why we must be sure we vote forward looking persons into government.
If you ask me I will advise the current government to ensure it recovers billions to fund governance over the next six years from all corrupt persons and corporations and be ready to get them forcefully.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by baralatie(m): 11:12pm On Nov 29, 2015
The guy above is writing practical dots with no connection!
That is exactly what is been pushed on PMB which is not allowing him settle down!
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by easternunion: 11:20pm On Nov 29, 2015
Japan has no natural resource. They only have earthquakes and tsunami, but they are the leading light in Asia. Learn from them. Germany doesn't even have ordinary water. They only have their brains. They built VW Bettles - without a radiator.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Ghandi12: 11:41pm On Nov 29, 2015
I am recommending we critics start taking practical steps to show we mean all we say.

""For those that have arable lands in Nigeria can we start planting something, anything - cassava, maize or yam?

""We can start having poultry, fish pond/nursery in our compounds to add to our productivity.

""Can fresh graduates start coming together for self-determination instead of expecting jobs that may never be there until 2017?
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 11:43pm On Nov 29, 2015
easternunion:
Japan has no natural resource. They only have earthquakes and tsunami, but they are the leading light in Asia. Learn from them. Germany doesn't even have ordinary water. They only have their brains. They built VW Bettles - without a radiator.

Exactly, we have let oil blind us in this country that everything is centered around oil. The wise countries are heavily investing in human resources while we are still stuck on fighting for resource control.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 29, 2015
Ghandi12:
I am recommending we critics start taking practical steps to show we mean all we say.

""For those that have arable lands in Nigeria can we start planting something, anything - cassava, maize or yam?

""We can start having poultry, fish pond/nursery in our compounds to add to our productivity.

""Can fresh graduates start coming together for self-determination instead of expecting jobs that may never be there until 2017?

Nigeria should not be thinking about farming only at this point rather Agro-processing. Studies have shown that most of the fresh food we produce today gets rotten by the time it gets to consumers. Any agriculture without food processing facilities to finished goods is a waste of time.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Ghandi12: 12:13am On Nov 30, 2015
NAIJASOM:

Nigeria should not be thinking about farming only at this point rather Agro-processing. Studies have shown that most of the fresh food we produce today gets rotten by the time it gets to consumers. [b]Any agriculture without food processing facilities to finished goods is a waste of time.[/b]

My brother I am just putting this out if others with more time/space/energy will pick interest - I have been practicing both as leisure and never regretted it.

We are not going to be advanced over-night and that will not be an excuse for us not to start at all. Not a good part of our population fancy processed food.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 12:36am On Nov 30, 2015
Ghandi12:

My brother I am just putting this out if others with more time/space/energy will pick interest - I have been practicing both as leisure and never regretted it.

We are not going to be advanced over-night and that will not be an excuse for us not to start at all. Not a good part of our population fancy processed food.

Groundnut and palm oil are processed food
Bread is processed food
Butter is processed food
Tin Tomatoes is processed food
Garri is processed food
Sugar is processed food
Juice is processed food
Sardine is processed food
Indomie noodle is processed food

My point is that Nigerians eat a lot of processed food without thinking of it as processed
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Ghandi12: 12:53am On Nov 30, 2015
NAIJASOM:

Groundnut and palm oil are processed food
Bread is processed food
Butter is processed food
Tin Tomatoes is processed food
Garri is processed food
Sugar is processed food
Juice is processed food
Sardine is processed food
Indomie noodle is processed food
My point is that Nigerians eat a lot of processed food without thinking of it as processed

I see we are looking at productivity from different angles. I am not a farmer, I am only concerned with how we can shore up our productivity as a nation. I have made my recommendations based on benefits I have derived from little interest in "growing what I eat".

Nonetheless, all you have stated are down the line agricultural production - they are commercial sectors that government can stimulate for growth but I am not sure it is advisable for government to manage such sector.

People need to take-up the challenge of making this "processing" happen locally. But the question will be capital. Garri and Bread are not too capital-intensive to start-up. And we do not import Garri nor Bread anyway - so they are not part of the "threat". We need government and banks to lead and buy into this diversification project.
Re: Time To Discuss OIL by Nobody: 1:02am On Nov 30, 2015
Ghandi12:

I see we are looking at productivity from different angles. I am not a farmer, I am only concerned with how we can shore up our productivity as a nation. I have made my recommendations based on benefits I have derived from little interest in "growing what I eat".

Nonetheless, all you have stated are down the line agricultural production - they are commercial sectors that government can stimulate for growth but I am not sure it is advisable for government to manage such sector.

People need to take-up the challenge of making this "processing" happen locally. But the question will be capital. Garri and Bread are not too capital-intensive to start-up. And we do not import Garri nor Bread anyway - so they are not part of the "threat". We need government and banks to lead and buy into this diversification project.

You are correct. My main point is that we need to move beyond basic agriculture and go into food processing which lots of developing nations use to create jobs. Agro-processing creates more jobs than basic agriculture.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Youths Lock Down N’assembly, Demand Saraki’s Resignation / Video:pres. Buhari Blasts Gov. Fayose - This Will Surely Make You Laugh / If You Warned Nigerians About Buhari, Show Your Screenshot And The Post Link

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.