Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree (32201 Views)

5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible / Anu Yusuf Marries And Graduates Same Day With A First Class Degree In Law / 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Davijunson: 4:12pm On Nov 27, 2015
seyirock:
lazy men always find excuse...what is worth doing is worth doing well,if school is worth coming I don't see why good grade is not worth having.
I agree with you.... that's why I said student should strive to have good grades... or you want tell me say you no see that one?
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Hakeem12(m): 4:12pm On Nov 27, 2015
true talk.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 27, 2015
abrahambest:
As a graduate who came very close to finishing with a first class in engineering, I can easily identify errors that cost students the prestigious first class degree. I made one or two of these mistakes. Over the span of five years that I spent in the university, I saw lots of people make the same mistakes outlined here. Many brilliant students start with the initial dream of graduating with a first class, only to end up struggling to even finish with a 2.1. Obtaining a first class takes a great deal of hardwork, consistency, intelligence but most importantly discipline. Commit these errors and your chances of getting a first class will be very slim if not nil.

1. Womanizing– This is not about having a committed girlfriend in school which can even be very distracting. This is referring to keeping strings of girlfriends while in school, or pursuing anything in skirt. I am not speaking for or against womanizing in school. But womanizing is the quickest way of ensuring that your dream of graduating with a first class vanishes into thin air as your attention towards your academic studies will be greatly divided.

source: http://www.jarushub.com/students-10-mistakes-that-can-cost-you-first-class-degree/

God bless the writer of this piece, anyone who has once failed in the academic terrain and truthful with himself will always find one or more of these points the arch source of his failure.

Personally, I have this womanizing spirit, it appears to me to be default. It affected me so much whenever I tried to participate in this aspect of students' common flaws especially during the semester. undoubtedly, it should be first on the list. still striving to get rid of the wonky act tho.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by francisbiz: 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2015
damton:
There is little difference between graduates and illiterate in the Nigeria of today.
They both have the same condition of living.
NO-6 IS FOR YOU & YOUR FELLOW LOWLY ESTEEMED DEFORMED SADISTS
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Ndeewonu: 4:26pm On Nov 27, 2015
This is it!
My GPA went down to a cumulative 4.48 (down from 4.56) in my third year when I had a girlfriend and did it for the first time. Thank God I recovered in my final year, but it was serious work, studying and serious prayers. When I talk to boys and girls, they do not understand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 27, 2015
talktonase:
75% hardwork and 25% the grace of God, that is my definition of 1st class.

U can alternate those figures, don't underestimate how mysterious and miraculous the grace can skyrocket one's academic life. undoubtedly, hardwork is the key.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by romelady(f): 4:27pm On Nov 27, 2015
Ezeibe:
please who knows when buhari's tenure is gonna end... Am tired already, even more than elru-fry ...On behalf of me... I am sorry for shouting change.... #chai-baba

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by damton(m): 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2015
francisbiz:

NO-6 IS FOR YOU & YOUR FELLOW LOWLY ESTEEMED DEFORMED SADISTS

Bro. go get a life.
I have a job for you and it's to shine my shoe.

When will you ever use your creative minds and reasoning to learn that life transcends beyond the A and Bs you had in school.

No one is saying it's not okay to gun for the best result. what I'm merely pointing out is the fact that it doesn't amount to life success as widely conceived amongst student. And that is because our society is dysfunctional.

The way you think from this your remarks is extremely myopic.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by bidak(m): 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2015
@op nic one but why u no post am when I still dey uni just mayb I would av u knw,guilty of most
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Ndeewonu: 4:35pm On Nov 27, 2015
Davijunson:
OP when will you Understand that First class Degree doesn't guarantee you a First class life? i'm not saying Getting first class isn't good ooo.. But in Nigeria today, it's as good as Nothing. Ppl roam the streets today looking for work everywhere. the economy is bad... even ppl with first class that are lucky enough to get work are loosing the Work daily. I think it's time every Nigerian youth acquire a Skill.. work with your hand... and be Smart with your Work. this first class You are talking about not everyone has the brain for it... some ppl no matter how hard they try can only make do with 2'1... Some have First class brain but couldn't make it due to other reasons...
Exams are not necessarily the true test of intelligence. Life itself is the real exam and only the ones who becomes successful are termed Smart and Brave regardless of the degree. How would you feel having a First class but working for someone with a third class or Second class lower and calling him Boss.?? Students should try as much as possible to get Good grades but shouldn't depend on it cos good grades ain't good life.. (at least not in Nigeria).. get a Skill, enhance your Skill and be Smart @what you do. In no time, you won't have to depend on a Useless Government 

P.S 
A friend once said, educating the Man without educating the Mind is no education @all... I Drop ma pen here. 

Get FIRST CLASS first, and you would know that there is a whole world of difference. If you CANNOT get it, then, do NOT discourage others who can. Negative attitude is one of our major problems in this part of the world! Ask those who made First Class and they would tell you, they never regretted it. For your information, every First Class graduate is offered automatic teaching job in his university; this is not possible for a third class graduate.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by lawrenceunaa: 4:37pm On Nov 27, 2015
Donpizzle:

i think its same wif futo
so futo do that also grin
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 27, 2015
CSTR2:
I don't think internship carry grades in Nigerian universities nowadays btw.
I remember my undergraduates days with some measure of awe and the fact that I almost threw away years of hardwork in my 400 because of a semester fling with a girl embarassed
My CGPA after 400 level fell from 4.73 to 4.44. angry And I cried my heart out.
It was the fear of what I was going to tell my father who was expecting a first class that made me read like a mad man in 500 level final year.
And I made a 5.0 in my finals coming out with a resounding first class.

Same thing happened to me, I almost blew my chances of getting a resounding 1st class. My supervisor was like Steve, this is not the real you. Even when I got the A's, it was not resounding and full of depth. I just wrote back what I was taught and that was unlike me... He marked 2 of the courses and he was absolutely right..

Women can complicate things...

2 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by talktonase(m): 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:

U can alternate those figures, don't underestimate how mysterious and miraculous the grace can skyrocket one's academic life. undoubtedly, hardwork is the key.
true talk...

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 27, 2015
very educative... thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 27, 2015
Ndeewonu:

This is it!
My GPA went down to a cumulative 4.48 (down from 4.56) in my third year when I had a girlfriend and did it for the first time. Thank God I recovered in my final year, but it was serious work, studying and serious prayers. When I talk to boys and girls, they do not understand.
do you mean if someone want first class he should not have any girlfriend for any reason?
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by talktonase(m): 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2015
A female friend of mine had an experience where her CGPA crashed from 4.43 to 4.0 the session she lost her virginity and started having sex.Sex is such a powerful drug you take when there is nothing wrong with you.I have not heard of any person who died from lack of sex but i have seen CGPA's crash to 3rd class and pass with people contracting all kinds of STI's which led to their untimly demise.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Fongido(m): 5:22pm On Nov 27, 2015
Davijunson:
OP when will you Understand that First class Degree doesn't guarantee you a First class life? i'm not saying Getting first class isn't good ooo.. But in Nigeria today, it's as good as Nothing. Ppl roam the streets today looking for work everywhere. the economy is bad... even ppl with first class that are lucky enough to get work are loosing the Work daily. I think it's time every Nigerian youth acquire a Skill.. work with your hand... and be Smart with your Work. this first class You are talking about not everyone has the brain for it... some ppl no matter how hard they try can only make do with 2'1... Some have First class brain but couldn't make it due to other reasons...
Exams are not necessarily the true test of intelligence. Life itself is the real exam and only the ones who becomes successful are termed Smart and Brave regardless of the degree. How would you feel having a First class but working for someone with a third class or Second class lower and calling him Boss.?? Students should try as much as possible to get Good grades but shouldn't depend on it cos good grades ain't good life.. (at least not in Nigeria).. get a Skill, enhance your Skill and be Smart @what you do. In no time, you won't have to depend on a Useless Government 

P.S 
A friend once said, educating the Man without educating the Mind is no education @all... I Drop ma pen here. 

That no. 6) Allowing the opinion of mediocre students influence you. This is for people like you and anybody that wanna go far in life should avoid people like you.

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Milo30(m): 5:24pm On Nov 27, 2015
I screwed up from day one. I didn't even know why I was in the University when I got in. I was completely disoriented and immature. I took 4 out of 5 years to learn and understand what I had done. I'm heading to my 5th year with a 2.2. This reminds me of all my mistakes and helps my resolve to help as many students as I can. Your first and second year counts a lot in your CGPA, don't screw with'em! Make friends that will help you keep your eyes on the price. God is interested in your success, so make Him proud (Proverbs 3:5-6, 1Tim 2:15). Op, God bless you plenty plenty. Make He continue to reward your efforts, amen.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by benikad(m): 5:45pm On Nov 27, 2015
The OP is very very correct.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Fongido(m): 5:52pm On Nov 27, 2015
First of all God bless you for this and also bless the person responsible for this post to make front-page.
I will save this post to my email for future use.
I'm a victim of point 6 it shattered my dream of graduating with a presentable grade and I thank God it's just ND I will make sure in correct my mistakes in HND and come out with first class by God's grace.
Your first year in school determine what you will graduate with I made that mistake too though I tried to make up for it but to no avail because the damage had already been done.
I want to clarify something please if you have HND I hope ND is not valuable
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by temitayo315(m): 5:58pm On Nov 27, 2015
In all your gettings, Get understanding.

Whateva ur hand finds to do,do it with all ur might,for dere is no work or thought or knowledge in d grave to which u're going.(Eccl 9vs10)

dnt think because others dint get Job wen dey finish wit 1st class,u too cannot get job. That's spirit of limitation. Dnt limit urself and do things right with smart work joined wit ur hardwork..
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Kirinwa: 6:00pm On Nov 27, 2015
Cavenchy:

You are wise, Take note of point 6: that seems to be the common factor, the kind of friends you keep would either make or mar you. Point 9: if you are confronted by a challenging situation do not see it as a reason to miss lectures, No 6 kinda friends would be quick to influence you in taking this negative step but do not listen, its better to enter the kingdom with one friend than to have 500 friends and perform poorly, most of the time those 500 friends have backup plans and their lack of commitment to anything worthwhile would only lead to their downfall or if not, they'll selfishly avoid you when things get better for them and you are down in the dirt. So either way, you would be better off without them to begin with. Bless you.

I once had a B in a course, a female friend asked me what I got I said B sadly, the girl asked me what of her that got D without mentioning that someone had A. I weak.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by temitayo315(m): 6:07pm On Nov 27, 2015
Davijunson:

P.S 
In all your gettings, Get understanding.

Whateva ur hand finds to do,do it with all ur might,for dere is no work or thought or knowledge in d grave to which u're going.(Eccl 9vs10)

dnt think because others dint get Job wen dey finish wit 1st class,u too cannot get job. That's spirit of limitation. Dnt limit urself and do things right with smart work joined wit ur hardwork..
Bro. Change ur mindset nd dnt discourage 'we undergraduates'
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Yonddaime(m): 6:13pm On Nov 27, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Once your 100lv is not so good then say goodbye to first class. You must have nothing less than a 4.0 CGPA in your first year or even a 5.0. Although they are some exceptional case of 3.0 making it to first class. You can't have a 2.0 or second class lower in your first year and be hoping for first class, Never! No matter how hard you work, the real work is done in your first year.

And drop all those "Grace of god, Relationship with god" blah blah mentality. Even those who graduate with certificate of attendance have a so called personal relationship with god. Nigeria is 99% religious, everybody must have prayed for first class cheesy.
what is your definition of "relationship with God"...??
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by AngelJennifer: 6:16pm On Nov 27, 2015
Can someone still graduate with first class with a cgpa of 4.35 after third year, will soon be in finals.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by hopefulLandlord: 6:23pm On Nov 27, 2015
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
okay.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by CSTR2: 7:08pm On Nov 27, 2015
Daninya11:

Same thing happened to me, I almost blew my chances of getting a resounding 1st class. My supervisor was like Steve, this is not the real you. Even when I got the A's, it was not resounding and full of depth. I just wrote back what I was taught and that was unlike me... He marked 2 of the courses and he was absolutely right..

Women can complicate things...
Strange indeed.
All the people I knew that came out with first class were all virgins, very focused and strange.
The only time I decided to flow with the crowd saw my CGPA crash like dominoes, but for divine destiny that ensured I came out with nothing less than a strong first class.

1 Like

Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by Mbkite(m): 7:10pm On Nov 27, 2015
AngelJennifer:
Can someone still graduate with first class with a cgpa of 4.35 after third year, will soon be in finals.

Yes, just make at least 4.9 CGPA in you finals.
Re: 10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree by jackpot(f): 7:14pm On Nov 27, 2015
lawrenceunaa:
In UNN don't fail a course grin
Even if u have a CGPA of 4.8 but an F in a course automatically denys u that right undecided
How true is this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics / Today's Mock Jamb Was Indeed A Mockery / Official Statement From Queens College Management + The Protest Ongoing*Photos*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.