Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" (10747 Views)

New Petrol Price: A Shift From Subsidy To Profit Making / FG Ends Kerosene Subsidy, To Sell For N83 Per Litre / Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by olayinkajnr(m): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2015
Second time I'm commenting on your thread TonyeBarcanista. Nice one there
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by engineerboat(m): 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
jusRadical:

Abeg make I ask. Dem go still wire/pay subsidy for those weeks we been buy fuel for N100 through N200 and now to N130 ( like in PH)?

If yes, no be thief be that?

for now subsidy is been paid to marketers bringing in fuel not those fillimg stations.
For now only nnpc is importing fuel of wgich large percent goes to major marketers who because of their CABALITY saboteour resell the product to the independent marketers

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by saheed2532(m): 3:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
VOTE FOR ME PLS
I'm UTHMAN SAHEED
Kindly follow the link below to vote for me to win The Fidelity bank's "mytoughjobstory" YouTube video competition.
CLICK HERE»»»
https://fidelitybank.ng/mytoughjobstory/?contest=video-detail&video_id=467
THANKS SO MUCH and kindly share this post
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Louislewis: 3:51pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=18pt]APC and Buhari said nothing like fuel subsidy during GEJ administration. We agreed with them. Let them live and govern with the present price of fuel. Let us see how they can survive and attain one-tenth of the achievement of Jonathan which they criticized senslessly. Empty vessel (APC) made greatest noise ever since the independent of this nation call Nigeria.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Sall(m): 3:51pm On Nov 30, 2015
Subsidy must go for this country to move forward.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2015
God bless GEJ for the eye opener.
Our Southwest elite because of greed misinformed Nigerians about this subsidy.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Standing5(m): 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
Geraraheremehn:
Op what are you saying?? The junketeer in chief said he doesn't know what subsidy entails and your saying he should remove it are you a learner??

P.s : Buhari is a bloody terrorist...my fellow people of Maltina cheesy grin
inside the OP's article it states how jonathan govt went ahead and forcefully maintained subsidy when there was no reason for one.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Ibrokane(m): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
reading this article and posts makes me feel as if Nigeria is getting better ...... God BLESS Nigeria Ameen....... May God help the Government.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TGM2015: 5:02pm On Nov 30, 2015
The obstacles to petroleum subsidy removal are:
1). Lack of clear education and information. The public need to be enlighten, informed and educated on why the Government needs their support to remove subsidy as Nigeria is educationally having a population of over 85% as either uneducated illiterate or educated illiterate (those who are educated but have no intelligent in their reasoning ability, lacking common sense). Obasanjo possibly might have forseen this type of situation when he bent on removing subsidy in phases with a confidence that Nigerians can avoid buying petrol at higher prices if they can buy Eva bottle water at N70 per bottle. According to him, "something that you can get by just going to the tap" - public water is working then. NB: Eva water makes profit in billion in a year then. His vision was not well communicated even under Jonathan only that Jonathan ignore or was not politically motivated to end it as NLC Conditions then was Reviving the refineries, implementation of minimum wages, etc.

2). Reviving our refineries. The second problem is making our refineries working again, which has been an impossible quest of all democratic government in Nigeria. Thanks to Jonathan regime who initiate license for private refineries and Buhari sustaining the policy. But I wonder about those power blocks/cabal that are behind our refineries not to be working, we need to identify them and eliminate their influential powers. I also believe that this government wish that subsidy is removed but considering the effects on the economy and the masses, they have to hold on. This might be reason Buhari elevated Ibe to as Director and Minister of state while he hold on to be minister.

What we need now is clear communication of the Government vision and aims as to petroleum prices, subsidy and refineries through his speeches, aides and public orientation agency.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by acooriz(m): 5:09pm On Nov 30, 2015
It's a long shot but throughout this saga of subsidy and PMS.. Some thoughts come to mind.. Firstly the idea of subsidy isn't fair, both to us and to the government.. This money can be pumped into other means of transportation that would reduce the consumption of PMS.. Like the railway.. Secondly.. On the long run.. If the government continues to subsidize.. Our budgetary allocation schemes would be one of the worst ever recorded.. Year after year.. The government would spend good money on cutting the cost of PMS.. Who does that?.. Lastly.. Schemes and programs should be used to harness young minds.. So that in latter years.. We can harness other sources of energy other than petroleum and move on the same pace as the western nations... # proudly Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
TonyeBarcanista, I think the cry should be about revitalizing our refining capacity than the removal of Subsidy. If our present Government declares a War on the lack of operational refineries, This Subsidy talk will die a natural death.

It will create more jobs and even internally generated revenue for the government.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
Chiscomax:

What course did u study?
Sir, you want give me job?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by nastyd(m): 5:47pm On Nov 30, 2015
Sincerely speaking...i dont usually comment on TonyeBarcanista's thread.
i jst observe from afar.. but in recent times he has been making sense in his views on some pertinent issues.
Be it ProPDP or ProBUHARI..
Its best we address issues neutrally and forge ahead in this great country.
These Marketers are Milking Nigeria dry..thats why i am of d opinion that only a Military regime can get this country back on track. President Buhari is more than capable of "dealing" with these thieves bt modern day democracy inhibits d powers of d president to some extent.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Koolmexxi(m): 6:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
D annoying part is dat d govt have completely ignored the plight of the masses by acting oblivious of their plight. . No news on the cause/solutions whatsoever and people seem to have accepted the whole thing in gud faith. ..
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by pelumi001(m): 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
Thank you barcanista
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Chukzyfcb(m): 6:27pm On Nov 30, 2015
Tonye barcanista you'v spoken well but I'll like to speak on a possibility. The MAJOR oil marketers are the one holding us captive, these oil marketers have associations like MOMAN, IPMAN and some other associations. If they can all collectively agree to hoard petrol products, what makes u think they cannot all agree to sell at a very exhorbitant price when subsidy is removed. They can operate like OPEC, we think open market will tear them apart and influence prices but have we thought of the other side. As the major oil marketers and in an asociation, they can collectively agree to sell petrol at 150, don't you see this possibility? Using Opec as a refrence.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Chiscomax(m): 6:42pm On Nov 30, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Sir, you want give me job?

I was asking because of your degree on intelligence so, do you mind?
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:54pm On Nov 30, 2015
Chiscomax:

I was asking because of your degree on intelligence so, do you mind?
Public Relations!

But intelligence comes from God. We all have it
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by menxer: 7:00pm On Nov 30, 2015
When patriotism speaks partisanship takes a walk.

OP, You are spot on on this one.

It's time we question why we suffer in the midst of abundance.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:08pm On Nov 30, 2015
Chukzyfcb:
Tonye barcanista you'v spoken well but I'll like to speak on a possibility. The MAJOR oil marketers are the one holding us captive, these oil marketers have associations like MOMAN, IPMAN and some other associations. If they can all collectively agree to hoard petrol products, what makes u think they cannot all agree to sell at a very exhorbitant price when subsidy is removed. They can operate like OPEC, we think open market will tear them apart and influence prices but have we thought of the other side. As the major oil marketers and in an asociation, they can collectively agree to sell petrol at 150, don't you see this possibility? Using Opec as a refrence.
The government agency (NNPC) will also be importing the product and should the refinery be brought back to life, they will be forced to act sane.

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 30, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
TonyeBarcanista, I think the cry should be about revitalizing our refining capacity than the removal of Subsidy. If our present Government declares a War on the lack of operational refineries, This Subsidy talk will die a natural death.

It will create more jobs and even internally generated revenue for the government.
You are sighted
grin

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Chukzyfcb(m): 7:41pm On Nov 30, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

The government agency (NNPC) will also be importing the product and should the refinery be brought back to life, they will be forced to act sane.

NNPC has been importing product ever since we'v had fuel scarcity, it hasn't changed anything, it still doesn't drive away consumers from those oil marketers. If people were agitating for the removal of fuel subsidy currently, it means we expect EMOTIONS to take control over these greedy marketers; I.e we expect these marketers to be driven by emotions and induce competition amongst themselves. This is the expected happening , but its a gamble. Because, If they can deal with the emotions and agree as one under the Umbrella of their association(Moman or IPMAN) to sell at a Huge price. Then notin can be done, because the HIGH demand of fuel will always favour them xcept there could be a policy that will bring about "price-control" in our downstream sector. Until then, thinking about competition is just a mere possibility. #nice thread tho!

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Geraraheremehn: 7:45pm On Nov 30, 2015
funlord:
angry

See how you are still reasoning upon your old age? Now I know why your mother was telling me that she has to spit on the ground in disgust everytime she sees you entering her house! Brain dead bastard!!!

Your ma toto
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
Chukzyfcb:

NNPC has been importing product ever since we'v had fuel scarcity, it hasn't changed anything, it still doesn't drive away consumers from those oil marketers. If people were agitating for the removal of fuel subsidy currently, it means we expect EMOTIONS to take control over these greedy marketers; I.e we expect these marketers to be driven by emotions and induce competition amongst themselves. This is the expected happening , but its a gamble. Because, If they can deal with the emotions and agree as one under the Umbrella of their association(Moman or IPMAN) to sell at a Huge price. Then notin can be done, because the HIGH demand of fuel will always favour them xcept there could be a policy that will bring about "price-control" in our downstream sector. Until then, thinking about competition is just a mere possibility. #nice thread tho!
We have Petroleum Product Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) that in charge of price control. We have the Department of Petroleum Resources(DPR) that is responsible for ensuring compliance. Over the years, we've been having problem of enfoncement, but it is the government duty to carry out their role.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by Nobody: 9:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
engineerboat:

for now subsidy is been paid to marketers bringing in fuel not those fillimg stations.
For now only nnpc is importing fuel of wgich large percent goes to major marketers who because of their CABALITY saboteour resell the product to the independent marketers

You are not totally true.

Independent marketers are also bringing in fuel. When the pump price was N120 at PH, I know that the landing cost to the filling stations was around N110.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by meezynetwork(m): 9:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
Fuel subsidy can not be removed when we still depend heavily on imports. The effect of the removal will be astronomical on everything. It's like having this present situation permanently. The reason Nigerians are not reacting or protesting on the fuel scarcity and exorbitant prices is because we believe it's temporal. Make it permanent and see the effect. It might take years for the price to stabilise to the actual price. It's easy to say theoretically but it's a different ball game in practical. Remove subsidy and see the prices increase exponentially coupled with this current policy of dollar restriction. Buhari should never try it cos to the layman, His thinking is Buhari has increased the pump price.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by omohayek: 9:45pm On Nov 30, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

If the goal is revitalization of the country's refining capacity, then the best way to do that is by attracting private investment, preferably international investment by companies with deep refining expertise. That in return requires that such companies can see how they can obtain a decent return on their investment, and that will only be possible if they're allowed to charge what the market will bear. Subsidies and price caps are the very reason why this is currently not the case.
Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by omohayek: 9:57pm On Nov 30, 2015
meezynetwork:
Fuel subsidy can not be removed when we still depend heavily on imports. The effect of the removal will be astronomical on everything. It's like having this present situation permanently. The reason Nigerians are not reacting or protesting on the fuel scarcity and exorbitant prices is because we believe it's temporal. Make it permanent and see the effect. It might take years for the price to stabilise to the actual price. It's easy to say theoretically but it's a different ball game in practical. Remove subsidy and see the prices increase exponentially coupled with this current policy of dollar restriction. Buhari should never try it cos to the layman, His thinking is Buhari has increased the pump price.

Would you rather have a situation in which the official prices are higher but fuel is readily available, or the official prices say one thing, and the only way you can get fuel is to pay twice as much (if you can get any fuel at all)? How is fuel "cheaper" in the second scenario?

The idea that it would take years for fuel prices to stabilize is a very strange one. The fact is that refined petroleum products are heavily commodified, and easily available on international markets to anyone with the necessary capital to buy them. There are literally dozens of countries from which anyone with the necessary cash can import fuel if the market conditions are right, and there are plenty of Nigerians in the private sector with the means and know-how to do so. Completely deregulate oil production, importation and distribution and you'll see fuel shortages quickly become a thing of the past - as they are in any parts of the world where governments don't feel the need to interfere in any and every market process.

I honestly find it strange that so many Nigerians - even supposedly "educated" ones - are hostile to the very same market forces that prevail in all of the more prosperous countries Nigerians love immigrating to. How can one be aware of the sheer incompetence and corruption of every Nigerian government that has ever existed, and yet trust such governments to do a better job at anything than the private sector?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity: It Is Time For Fuel Subsidy To "Rest In Peace" by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23pm On Nov 30, 2015
omohayek:

If the goal is revitalization of the country's refining capacity, then the best way to do that is by attracting private investment, preferably international investment by companies with deep refining expertise. That in return requires that such companies can see how they can obtain a decent return on their investment, and that will only be possible if they're allowed to charge what the market will bear. Subsidies and price caps are the very reason why this is currently not the case.

When Crude is refined in Nigeria, a lot of factors that causes a high cost of petroleum is reduced. Like foreign exchange differences and landing cost.

What we should talk about is incentives to attract these foreign enterprises down here than Subsidies. Note, the companies do not bear the losses for the subsidies. For instance, if your cost price is #100, the consumers buy at #70 and the government pays the #30 balance.

We built refineries in the past. I think Shell built the Port Harcourt refinery. What we need is a complete action plan to propel companies like these to support the building process.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sagay: Political Appointees Can Resign One Month To Presidential Election / 4,000 APC Members Join PDP In Kwara / Mimiko Is Much Better Than Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.