Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,851 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? (2009 Views)

Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Katsina Stoning: Niger Delta “ll Retaliate, Says Dokubo Asari / Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by dgreatrock(m): 9:49am On May 28, 2009
there's so much news flying all over the place about Nigeria's Oil rich Niger-Delta, but i dont always buy some of them knowing that some might be mere propaganda.

Hence i want those who know the true story behind the region's problems to share their the truth they know with us here.

Please be objective and not sentimental.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by udezue(m): 9:55am On May 28, 2009
The truth is 1, 2, 3, 4 , 5 , 6 ,,,,,,, clicks away or you can also go there to see with your korokoro eyes.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by dgreatrock(m): 11:03am On May 28, 2009
Me!?
Why? shocked shocked shocked
i beg put me for ground make i use ma leg waka.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Monesty(m): 11:13am On May 28, 2009
It is bad in these civilized word that our president cannot do anything sad
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Monesty(m): 11:16am On May 28, 2009
And again please, I need a giud line cos i want a topic
smiley
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Monesty(m): 11:17am On May 28, 2009
And again please, I need a giud line cos i want to post a topic
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by OneNaija(m): 11:33am On May 28, 2009
Obasanjo Kill Niger Delta back in 2003 What did the world say about it? Obasanjo make Niger delta peoples carry gun in Nigeria because they cant sit back and wait while those slowpoke kills them all and the war is just the beginning. I need real terrorist to destroy Aso Rock
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by devimcy: 11:41am On May 28, 2009
naigeria na my countryo, bayelsa na my state oh, 1999 i swear i nogo 4getam, , dem don kill dem mama, i think Timaya can help u out
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by efeski(m): 11:41am On May 28, 2009
There're many things to note about the crisis in the niger delta region, though to appreciate it in full u need to delve into history. What I'll attempt to do is provide u with key areas to research on, thereby enabling you to start grasping the full extent of the region's woes.

1 The mistake of 1914- amalgamation of incompatible social formations forcefully lumped together by Lugard for purely administrative ease.

2 Dubious legislations- Land use decree 1978, Petroleum decrees of 1969 & 1991, Land titles vesting decree 52 of 1993 & National inland waterways authority decree 13 of 1977.

3. Principle of derivation in revenue allocation- 100% 1953, 50% 1960, 45% 1970, 20% 1975, 2% 1982 1.5% 1984 3% 1992 etc etc.
It is also instructive to note that the exclusive federal jurisdiction over natural resources apply to only oil & gas.

4. Insensitivity of the federal government & state governments both past & present to development of the region since oil prospecting & exploration commenced since 1938.

Any objective individual would realise that the continued neglect & disregard of the rights of the region's peoples over the years could only culminate in the present day crises. In the words of Robert Nester Marley aka Bob Marley :
"you can fool some people sometime, but you cant fool all the people all the time, now you see the light, stand up <& fight> for your right" (emphasis mine)
If you ask me on any given sunday, I'd readily sacrifice peace & rather be content with equal rights and justice,
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by oludashmi(f): 12:29pm On May 28, 2009
dgreatrock:

there's so much news flying all over the place about Nigeria's Oil rich Niger-Delta, but i dont always buy some of them knowing that some might be mere propaganda.

Hence i want those who know the true story behind the region's problems to share their the truth they know with us here.

Please be objective and not sentimental.

The same people who say all sort of rubbish about the topic out there are here to feed you with the same jargon. They have access to the internet and so will feed you with the same thing you are running for.

Getting the true story will cost you research from media houses and the internet. In fact it will be difficult to get the fact from Niger Deltans cos if you were the one too, you might be sentimental.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by ohhippie(m): 12:42pm On May 28, 2009
the problems are 1,the federal govt that has neglected the region,2,the niger delta leaders.tha federal govt uses oil money to develop abuja and the north in neglect of the area.their leaders preferred northern domination to igbo domination,now,they have compared,so,let them decide.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by dammizz(m): 12:46pm On May 28, 2009
these so-called militants r enjoyin the money, fame and power they r gettin from this regular abduction of top oil officials, I believe dat even if they get what they had been askin for, they would not want to leave dis act.
What do y'all think
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:53pm On May 28, 2009
Sooo, the militants are now the demons, if they kidnapped one politician every week, and ask for N5million, it won't make up for all the deaths our politicians have cost us and all the billions of USD$ ($600+ billion over the last 15 years was what Nigeria made from crude oil sales). so what if some illiterate greedy native of the Niger-Delta starts kidnapping kids and old folks and preachers for some dough, we all sat there and did nothing while nigeria was butt-bleeped by greedy nigerians, now we dare say the militants should seek dialogue rather than take the violent way out. Bleep!!! I
d kidnap and rape my hostages and kill them after i collect the ransom money. bloody Nigerians!! grin
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by kshow1(m): 1:01pm On May 28, 2009
The true story is MILITANTS and MILITARY ( includes politician) are fighting over who will control and have the largest share in the nigerian oil proceeds.
CHIKENA ABI I LIE ? grin grin grin
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by ziga: 1:04pm On May 28, 2009
@largerwhenindoubt,

If we keep looking back, we will never move forward. You can never justify a wrong,  and by that i mean the enviromental degradation as well as the militant activities.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by jimmysho(m): 1:53pm On May 28, 2009
if they blow uo everytin, naija is doomed at the short run
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by jimmysho(m): 2:04pm On May 28, 2009
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by jimmysho(m): 2:06pm On May 28, 2009
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 28, 2009
vote mend to rule the country. at least then it will be official.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by dgreatrock(m): 9:00pm On May 30, 2009
Please let's be serious for once angry
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by otokx(m): 1:55pm On May 31, 2009
Take a look at the Lagos - Shagamu - Ore - Benin - Sapele - Warri - Ughelli - Mbiama - Port Harcourt - Eleme - Ikot Abasi link road popularly called EAST - WEST road. Almost all central governments have awarded dualization contract for that road yet it remains undone due to conspiracy for corruption. This same government now alleges that its militants that is preventing the work which is a big lie. Where they militants in shagari, IBB, Abacha era? We of the Niger Delta have taken our destiny in our hands. We will die any which way so its better we die fighting so that our future generations might have a better deal from this contraption called the Nigerian federal government.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Nobody: 4:58pm On May 31, 2009
@efeski.
Nice analyses.
@dgrock, long time, how body, wife and kids??
Rgrds to em' all.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 31, 2009
@efeski.
Nice analyses.
Rgrds to em' all.

@otokx,
i feel ur pain and burden, its Niger Delta is not worth been in captive u knw! All u said is but the truth, i av been to d Delta and confirmed 4 meself.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 31, 2009
@efeski.
Nice analyses.
Rgrds to em' all.

@otokx,
i feel ur pain and burden, its Niger Delta is not worth been in captive u knw! All u said is but the truth, i av been to d Delta and confirmed 4 meself.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by dgreatrock(m): 6:28pm On May 31, 2009
@Brein,
bobo, it is so good to hear from you. please tell me all you know about this topic.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by Nobody: 7:58pm On May 31, 2009
Well, there's really not much left to say again, we all can now see the core problems of d delta in d expose hence nothing hidden.
If i should dere start opening books and tales of Niger Delta problems frm its conception uptill present, Nairaland wont contain but some major problems as regards so far by otokx, efeski and other current Nlanders are still in place.
I must say the Delta problems down to d time of KEN SARO WIWA (rip), ISAAC ADAKA BORO (rip) etcetera, is a very complex one which requires special deliberations of a one-way forward by them culprits.
I just take it that the time 4 d Delta emancipation is now! Period.
Therefore, lets ALL rise up and Fight for our birth-right together wif d masses.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by rasputinn(m): 10:14pm On May 31, 2009
The problem wont end as long as we have fools that still think and talk this way:

Jonathan can’t take over
• The North will not allow vice president to replace Yar’Adua, constitution or no constitution — Daboh
From LUCKY NWANKWERE, Abuja
Saturday, May 30, 2009

Godwin Daboh
Photo: Sun News Publishing 
More Stories on This Section
Although the 1999 constitution says that in the event of the president’s death or he resigns or removed from office the vice president takes over government, there are indications that the North would not allow this to happen if President Umar Musa Yar’Adua, at any time within his tenure, cannot continue in office.

Revealing this to editors and members of the management of The Sun, eminent politician and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Godwin Daboh Adzuana, said the North would never allow Vice President Goodluck Jonathan to replace Yar’Adua if the latter has to quit office halfway in his government.

He said that if Yar’Adua cannot continue in office, there would be an interim government pending when a northerner is selected as president.

He said; “The North cannot allow Jonathan to complete the term of Yar’Adua. The position here is that there will be an interim government within which somebody from the North will be elected to complete Yar’Adua’s term. We are not giving one day of this administration to the South.”
Dr. Daboh spoke on this and other things.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by MrCrackles(m): 10:16pm On May 31, 2009
Topic

Not a lot i must confess!
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by rasputinn(m): 10:18pm On May 31, 2009
The problem wont end as long as we have fools that still think and talk this way:

Jonathan can’t take over
• The North will not allow vice president to replace Yar’Adua, constitution or no constitution — Daboh
From LUCKY NWANKWERE, Abuja
Saturday, May 30, 2009

Godwin Daboh
Photo: Sun News Publishing  
More Stories on This Section
Although the 1999 constitution says that in the event of the president’s death or he resigns or removed from office the vice president takes over government, there are indications that the North would not allow this to happen if President Umar Musa Yar’Adua, at any time within his tenure, cannot continue in office.

Revealing this to editors and members of the management of The Sun, eminent politician and chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Godwin Daboh Adzuana, said the North would never allow Vice President Goodluck Jonathan to replace Yar’Adua if the latter has to quit office halfway in his government.

He said that if Yar’Adua cannot continue in office, there would be an interim government pending when a northerner is selected as president.

He said; “The North cannot allow Jonathan to complete the term of Yar’Adua. The position here is that there will be an interim government within which somebody from the North will be elected to complete Yar’Adua’s term. We are not giving one day of this administration to the South.”
Dr. Daboh spoke on this and other things.
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by MrCrackles(m): 10:19pm On May 31, 2009
Topic

Not a lot i must confess!
Re: How Much Do You Know About The Niger Delta Crisis? by dgreatrock(m): 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ rasputinn
going by ur presentattions, niger-deltans are seen as slaves by the northerners, right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sacked Pdp Executive Protests In Ogun ! / 500 Nigerians In Uk Prisons – Tafida / PHOTO NEWS: Nigeria Police Now Servant Boy To Politicians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.