Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) (60202 Views)

The 8 Most Popular Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks / Beautiful Pictures Of Nigerian Traditional Wedding Attires For Brides And Grooms / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by speak2femz: 10:10am On Dec 01, 2015
and the Yoruba's have it!

1 Like

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by maestrojay(m): 10:16am On Dec 01, 2015
sardonyx3:
Kalabari attire rocks!

Welcome to d family.. congratz novio..

1 Like

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 01, 2015
We Nigerians are yet to tap into the strength of our diversity.
Cool pix tho
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by chrismarket: 10:27am On Dec 01, 2015
http://chrismarketnaija..com.ng/p/buy-e-currencies.html
What is binary trade:
This is the kind of trade where by you determine the minimum amount of your balance in your trading account with the brokers of your choice. To buy out a contract stating from your opinion of the market whether the market will go up or down using your best trade tools and the expected return is calculated before your make an order and mind you, you buy or sell a contract under the bases of time (Time frame) calculating the minimum and maximum time of contract and when you enter an order you will have to wait for it to expire if it comes as you have stated it to go up or down, you get your agreed percentage and there are some other ways you can trade binary making more money with little effort by following and posting your market and choice of commodity on the blog , you can trade OIL, GOLD , FOREX ,RANDOM AND SOME OTHERS... (www.chrismarketnaija}
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by chrismarket: 10:30am On Dec 01, 2015
chrismarket:
http://chrismarketnaija..com.ng/p/buy-e-currencies.html
What is binary trade:
This is the kind of trade where by you determine the minimum amount of your balance in your trading account with the brokers of your choice. To buy out a contract stating from your opinion of the market whether the market will go up or down using your best trade tools and the expected return is calculated before your make an order and mind you, you buy or sell a contract under the bases of time (Time frame) calculating the minimum and maximum time of contract and when you enter an order you will have to wait for it to expire if it comes as you have stated it to go up or down, you get your agreed percentage and there are some other ways you can trade binary making more money with little effort by following and posting your market and choice of commodity on the blog , you can trade OIL, GOLD , FOREX ,RANDOM AND SOME OTHERS... (www.chrismarketnaija}

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by jsunex(m): 10:31am On Dec 01, 2015
nice ones
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by preciousMI1(f): 11:00am On Dec 01, 2015
effik should come first... Edo second...
the Hausa pple have something with the indians!!!
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 01, 2015
I know that this might seem silly but can someone explain this to me...what if the bride and groom are from two different tribes eg, Groom - Igbo and Bride - Edo. which tradition does the wedding follow then? or do they have to have two?..
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 01, 2015
the lady's tradition wud b d right one
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by missKiffy(f): 11:14am On Dec 01, 2015
I love this, very colourful
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 01, 2015
MissGdope:
I know that this might seem silly but can someone explain this to me...what if the bride and groom are from two different tribes eg, Groom - Igbo and Bride - Edo. which tradition does the wedding follow then? or do they have to have two?..

1 Like

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by MurphyG1(m): 11:24am On Dec 01, 2015
JAZES:
Effik Wedding Attire

One thing you will love to know about the Efik traditional attire is its distinct cultural mix. It’s quite easy to mistake an Igbo bride for an Edo bride, but when you see an Efik bride and groom, you know without a doubt.

The bride wears a fancy attire known as Ofong Ukod Anwang which includes a blouse (covering only the bust) a knee-length skirt, and fancy beaded body adornment or a long flowing gown called the Onyonyo. There is also the hair pins and a decorated staff which is carried by the bride.

She also wears her hand and leg gears know as Ekpa ku kwa, with her neck adorned with coral beads. The groom wears white or sometimes gold color shirts with colorful wrappers known as the Usobo. Added to this is a beaded jacket, beaded shoes and a top hat with a long piece of cloth (Okpomkpomon) which they hang around their necks.

Why do their women look menacing shocked shocked
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 01, 2015
JAZES:

If you ask me i think the 6 tribes highlighted above are all unique in their own ways.
In terms of colours, i give it to the efik and the kalabaris. Their bride are always colorful
In terms of beads and other accessories, the edos have it.
When it comes to glamour and show off, you can give it to the yorubas and the igbos
When it comes to simplicity and beauty, abeg na the notherners get am any day any time. Their brides dress in a very simple form yet beautiful and mind you when i say simplicity am not talking about the amount of the dress o. The bride dress can be worth 500k but yet look very simple, i know this because i stay in an hausa community though am from Ogun state and i see them do their wedding every day.
Above all no tribe is better than the other because in diversity lies our strength.

Something u clearly didnt observe is that:

IGBOS HAVE COPIED EDO TRADITIONAL ATTIRE & IT HAPPENED RECENTLY.

Igbos never used to wear dt beaded blouse over wrapper. Even up to d early 2000's they didnt dress like dt in their native weddings. They used to wear their various embroidered top wt diff double wrappers &arrange like 2 strands of beads in their hair. Now i see theyve also stylishly adopted d edo beaded headpiece. Igbos should go online and research their REAL culture. This is not it. SMH.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Ollaboy: 11:46am On Dec 01, 2015
JAZES:

Aboveall no tribe is better than the other because in diversity lies our strength.
I agree with you
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 01, 2015
Kittenprincess1:
oh okay. thanks
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:27pm On Dec 01, 2015
JAZES:
Effik Wedding Attire

One thing you will love to know about the Efik traditional attire is its distinct cultural mix. It’s quite easy to mistake an Igbo bride for an Edo bride, but when you see an Efik bride and groom, you know without a doubt.

The bride wears a fancy attire known as Ofong Ukod Anwang which includes a blouse (covering only the bust) a knee-length skirt, and fancy beaded body adornment or a long flowing gown called the Onyonyo. There is also the hair pins and a decorated staff which is carried by the bride.

She also wears her hand and leg gears know as Ekpa ku kwa, with her neck adorned with coral beads. The groom wears white or sometimes gold color shirts with colorful wrappers known as the Usobo. Added to this is a beaded jacket, beaded shoes and a top hat with a long piece of cloth (Okpomkpomon) which they hang around their necks.

I don't know why the first effik picture (plenty colors) always scares me whenever I see it on TV or in pictures..... looks witchy.... :X
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by uncjay(m): 12:28pm On Dec 01, 2015
donTbone:
That edo and calabari thou! angry lipsrsealed

Observation: why did Yoruba came first? grin grin grin **Besides, I hardly see foreign man do his wedding aside the Yoruba way!*** #IbadanTohProuding! tongue
You have seen but little sir......
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 01, 2015
that's not right we are living in equality age were women can dress like men and even lifting heavy weights etc so in that light anybody can pick which attire they want to wear even. lipsrsealed

MissGdope:

oh okay. thanks
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:30pm On Dec 01, 2015
JAZES:
The Ijaw/ Kalabari Wedding

The Ijaw, Kalabari bridal attire is simply breathtaking! They love to wear coral accessories, the crown and chunky coral beads.

The dressing of an Ijaw man will not be complete without the bowler now better known as ‘resource control’ a hat and a walking stick.

Both men and women like to complement their very rich tunics and expressive feather hats with expensive coral beads and gold.

We have several other traditions and marriage attires but I think these are the most worn in Nigerian marriages. Marriages they say are made in Heaven but celebrated here on earth.

In Nigeria, marriages are sacred and should be celebrated in a more sacred manner which is the traditional way. This does not in any way negate the efficacy of the white wedding.

So why not try some of these attires for your wedding?
Bro.... that isn't Ijaw attire..... that belongs to Kalabari....
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
dejavu231:
why the efik lady be dress like warrior and the ijaw man like pirate? undecided
That isn't an Ijaw man.... that's a Kalabari man from Rivers state. This is what I know my people dress like.....

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by justjify(m): 12:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
fpeter:
you have not seen the Akwa Ocha of the the Aniochas
Do your own trad marriage and purrit dia na.
BTW na my sis you be
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 01, 2015
all the effik looks witchy did you notice they all stand up-right like they could the crap outta you? they are not even smiling. look again grin

INDUSTRIALFAN:
I don't know why the first effik picture (plenty colors) always scares me whenever I see it on TV or in pictures..... looks witchy.... :X
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by coldgate(f): 12:44pm On Dec 01, 2015
Hausa attire, truly beautiful.
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:46pm On Dec 01, 2015
dejavu231:
all the effik looks witchy did you notice they all stand up-right like they could the crap outta you? they are not even smiling. look again grin

lol.... bro d thing dey fear me o..... I no just get... I can only imagine what their witches are like if brides are like this.... especially the first one..... na that one I fear pass...
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by Louiscutedude(m): 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2015
Proudly edo... I luv wat i am seening

1 Like

Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by toprealman: 2:21pm On Dec 01, 2015
Was the efik bride forced to marry?
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by okangisaiah(f): 3:02pm On Dec 01, 2015
xMrPx:
The Efik brides. Why are they all frowning, dem force dem marry or its part of their culture to go frowning during marriage?

I was equally wondering about the frowning. Proudly Calabarian. Our pics most times are snapped while smiling
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by saiPossibility: 3:25pm On Dec 01, 2015
sai buhari grin sai no to Biafra we are good together
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by fpeter(f): 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
justjify:

Do your own trad marriage and purrit dia na.
BTW na my sis you be

I have done it nah, I wore mine with a red blouse
my hubby almost shed tears when i stepped out.
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by YourNemesis: 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2015
is that a Hausa bride dressing or rather Tuareg?
Re: 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) by xMrPx(m): 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2015
okangisaiah:

I was equally wondering about the frowning. Proudly Calabarian. Our pics most times are snapped while smiling
thumbs up to ya'. Probably wrong timing pic'. The efik attires looks gr8 though

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet The Koma People Of Adamawa State Where Cloth Is A Prized Possession (Photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Incantations On A Plane To Canada. Photos/video / Man Killed By Lightning In Kwara Buried In Pigs Blood, Corpse Exhumed. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.