Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,632 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme (488 Views)

Abia Launches New Urban Taxi Scheme / FG Scraps Nysc Scheme (Just A Rumour) / Way Foward: I Think We Should Scrap This Positions In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by Johnnyessence(m): 1:26pm On Dec 01, 2015
I am currently a serving Nysc member so I am not speaking from a bitter mind. I will try to be brief.

A friend of mine (also a corper) told this this truth but I never keyed into it till recently.

Another friend of mine is working as a doctor in a govt owned hospital where he is owed about 2 months salary. His appointment soon is going to be terminated however as the facility now intends to employ more corpers (hitherto they employed just one) and underpay them (around 55k per month).

Why do many government owned institutions not regularly conduct interviews and employ staff on full time basis? Many states haven't employed in years except few backdoor appointments. The answer is a yearly steady flow of cheap labor. This is what obtains in secondary schools (and yet we marvel at the falling educational standards). Most states simply do not employ teachers and Northern states are particularly guilty of this.

The main worry however is in big cities where big government institutions such as hospitals and ministries are becoming increasingly reliant on poorly paid poorly motivated corpers at the expense of full staff. Take Lagos for example recently advertising for 12 medical officers and lesser numbers of other health workers for its state hospitals in total (all of them). Who will take up the space of 100s of other health workers needed in these facilities? Corpers.

Unfortunately it is a temporary thing and while I have the poor paying job I shall soon mandatorily leave the system and join the unemployment pool. I am not going to propose a solution because that is akin to wanting migraines. (NB:banks were particularly guilty of using underpaid corpers to do full staff duties until they were banned, a possible solution could involve scrapping the Nysc programme itself). But know this Dear Corps member: You are part of the problem. And in a few months you shall understand. i just get this piece from a nairalander today. honesty to be frank nysc scheme should be scrap cos' it add no value to the youth of this country. it so so painful NBC record 1.9m unemployed youth in this year only chaiiiiii it's increasing everyday GMB should please scrap the scheme. to appreciate the work of graduate in different institutions loan should be giving out to the graduate passing out from various institution.
Re: GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by Ionkidiz(m): 1:33pm On Dec 01, 2015
sad
Re: GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by doyin68: 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2015
The cure for headaches is not beheading. Why are you transferring your grievances to a wrong place. This same you are presently enjoying the benefits of the scheme. Is it about NYSC or about the govt. A beg leave NYSC alone
Re: GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by Tallesty1(m): 1:38pm On Dec 01, 2015
Ok! I shall tell Buhari to probe NYSC
Re: GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by topsyking: 2:05pm On Dec 01, 2015
i never for once regard nysc as a service for the nation but a mere waste of time and resources
Re: GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by Lucasbalo(m): 2:10pm On Dec 01, 2015
topsyking:
i never for once regard nysc as a service for the nation but a mere waste of time and resources
Gbam. It makes no sense for someone to serve the Government for a year especially if the Government did not sponsor your education. Finish your education and look for a rewarding job not serving the Government for a pittance in the middle of nowhere.

1 Like

Re: GMB Should Scrap Nysc Scheme by OreMI22: 1:53am On Dec 02, 2015
He should keep NYSC. It will provide more northerners in the south if we need reprisal against those killing southerners.

(1) (Reply)

Top American Constitutional Lawyer Publishes Open Letter To Buhari / #kogidecides Supplementary Elections Results As Announced By INEC / Governor Approves N20,000 Each To Widows As Business Grant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.