Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,151 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread (35408 Views)

2 Titles Ranking For The Confederations Cup? / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 / Chelsea Fans Thread : Winners of the FA Cup And League Winners 09/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 3:47pm On Jun 29, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

still lost grin cheesy grin

I think the cup is half full tongue
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by Tudor6(f): 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2009
I agree. SA gave a good account of themselves.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by mukina2: 4:35pm On Jun 29, 2009
RSA
you never answered me oh. why is Matthew Boooooooooooooooooooth being boooooooooooooooooooed grin
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by gkay: 4:59pm On Jun 29, 2009
i think world cup is for the 'bests' in every continent while the confederation cup narrows it down to the winners of each continents nations' cup tournaments. it makes sense,
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RuuDie(m): 6:31pm On Jun 29, 2009
But in reality, that Brazilian squad still needs a fair degree of tweaking. . . . . . . they just didn't fly or play the kind of enterprising football of brazilian sides of before at all - most often than not, they looked ordinary and lacked that air of menace that always surrounds the average brazilian team.
if that's Dunga's world cup squad, am afraid he'd be in for a rude awakening at the mundials!
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by biolabee(m): 8:28pm On Jun 29, 2009
RSA very big of you to acknowledge the respect that we have for you and your country

your team played very well and if they get their act right (getting a decent striker and one or two squad players) south africa may be the next revelation of the world cup going in the tradition of africans before (Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal & Ghana) respectively

However this is not to say there were no hitches

Issues noted

1. Hotel incidents with the Egypt and Brazil teams
2. Tramliners getting to match venues late and pple stranded at the stadia

However security seemed to be top notch and no other incidents were of note. I am sure this can be settled before next year.

My prayer for u guys is that Pienaar and Tshabalala have a nice season next year and dontget injured so they can give their best as your creative MFs.
quick one which city do u stay?

ThiefOfHearts:

still lost grin cheesy grin

Be nice, they were worthy adversaries  tongue

Anyone watching Murray V Warinka?
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by Cristalz(f): 8:59pm On Jun 29, 2009
biolabee:

Okay, let's not veer off in the opposite direction now.  .  .Wimbledon thread does exist. wink grin
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by Phemour: 9:02pm On Jun 29, 2009
shocked were you banned?
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by MrCrackles(m): 9:03pm On Jun 29, 2009
Crizzle
Over to the UEFA Under 21 thread now. . . . .I got a piccy i want you to see! cheesy
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by biolabee(m): 9:25pm On Jun 29, 2009
my bad grin
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 8:00am On Jun 30, 2009
biolabee:

RSA very big of you to acknowledge the respect that we have for you and your country

your team played very well and if they get their act right (getting a decent striker and one or two squad players) south africa may be the next revelation of the world cup going in the tradition of africans before (Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal & Ghana) respectively

Issues noted

However security seemed to be top notch and no other incidents were of note. I am sure this can be settled before next year.

My prayer for u guys is that Pienaar and Tshabalala have a nice season next year and dontget injured so they can give their best as your creative MFs.

Be nice, they were worthy adversaries tongue

I aggree with you 100%,we need to improve on our weaknesses,and I hope our LOC will address all the shortfalls.Blatter rated us 7.5 which isn't bad at all.
I think that World cup will be different and most of the developement are still going on in preperation for 2010.I mean road,transport sytem that include rail,bus is still undercontruction.So things will be much better next year.

I'm in Cape Town City,may I ask why you asking?
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 8:41am On Jun 30, 2009
mukina2:

RSA
you never answered me oh. why is Matthew Boooooooooooooooooooth being boooooooooooooooooooed grin

grin grin You really like my voice'o grin grin

Ok there is this tradition in SA football that started in the 70's,skillfull players used to be given nicknames and everytime they touch the balls their fans will scream their names for as long as they have the possession.

During aapartheid days stadiums was a meeting place to talk about anything from politics to local football(we where never exposed to international football) to entertainment and other issue,because people where not allowed to be in groups of more than 20,the goverment feared that we where plotting against them,so going to stadiums was vital for our entertainment.That is why even our soccer players used to be judged on the their dribbling or tricky skills,to some extend we still have that culture even today(although is not taking us anywhere in terms of international football but our people still want to see it)

So calling the name of Booth is not a new thing,during international matches Fish,Radebe which we use to call him Rhoooooooooo! and Jonh Moshoeu which we use to call him shoooooes are some of the people we use to scream their names.

I hope it answer your question Muki,I think it also answer the vuvusela question on why people blow it the whole 90 mins even when their team is loosing.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 9:03am On Jun 30, 2009
Blatter outlines challenges ahead
Posted: 2009-06-30 06:31

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says the world football governing body is satisfied with the level of preparation that was done for the 2009 Confederations Cup.

Addressing the media on Monday, Blatter said the rehearsal for the 2010 World Cup had been done satisfactorily and Fifa was convinced that South Africa would host a successful World Cup next year.

“South Africa heading is in the right direction and the Local Organising Committee and the South African government have done an exceptional job, but there are still challenges to be addressed.”

Blatter said the hospitality, the stadiums and the reception by South Africans was wonderful, but emphasised that adequate accommodation, the transportation system, crowd control outside the stadium, the park-and-ride system and a few other logistics remained a major challenge.

“These challenges need to be addressed and I’m confident that the LOC working with Fifa and the government will pay attention to these challenges before the World Cup.”

Despite the challenges facing South Africa, Blatter has given the country 7.5 points out of 10 and encouraged the LOC to work hard to reach the maximum points during the much anticipated international sporting event.

He told reporters that as part of speeding up the process, the Fifa Organising Committee will meet regularly with the LOC to discuss the challenges and how South Africa can improve in making this African World Cup the best ever.

Blatter has also met with President Jacob Zuma and Deputy President, Kgalema Motlanthe, who pledged to coordinate the process of preparations for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

“The South African government has shown great commitment and as Fifa we will work with them and the LOC to ensure that South Africa and Africa at large deliver a flourishing World Cup which will leave a great legacy," he said.

Regarding the Confederations Cup, the Fifa boss said in a report on Bua News that the football displayed by the teams was magnificent, adding that South African fans kept the tournament abuzz.

“I want to thank the South Africa population and not forgetting the volunteers who have done a wonderful job throughout the tournament.

“This competition was not only about football, but it has lifted the spirit of South Africa.

“The final day was particularly exciting with five goals apiece. Bafana Bafana played well against the champions of Europe.

“And the goal they scored (by Kathlego Mphela) to equalise was brilliant. It was a wonderful goal.”

The Mamelodi Sundowns striker’s goal, which sent the game to extra time after the teams were tied 2-2 in regulation, ranks among the best scored during the two-week eight-team tournament.

In injury time when scores of fans had already left the stadium, Mphela let fly a 30-metre drive from a freekick which gave diving Spain keeper Ike Casillas no chance.

The former SuperSport United striker had earlier on scored the opening goal of the match. Bafana eventually lost 3-2 in extra-time to settle for fourth position.

Blatter complimented Bafana Bafana for their improvement during the tournament, adding that next year he expected the national side to be a great competitor against the giants.

“They are a good team, with quality players with great talent. Tactically they were brilliant and now they have to combine these abilities and start scoring goals.

“But overall I complement Bafana Bafana for their continuous improvement," he added.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by No2Atheism(m): 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2009
angry angry angry angry

The use of vuvuzellas needs to be regulated it has become more of an annoyance more than a pleasant thing. I fear for those in the stadium better still people should be given ear plugs while in the stadium just to protect their hearing.

Or an alternate is to sound-proof the commentary box away from the vuvuzelas with a specific filter is designed to filter out the vuvuzela noise frequencies. Cus damn it really is an annoyance.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by Tudor6(f): 10:23pm On Jun 30, 2009
Yeah i agree, the bloody vuvuzelas sound like a swarm of angry bees!
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by Tudor6(f): 10:23pm On Jun 30, 2009
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by FBS: 7:08am On Jul 01, 2009
Tudór:

but to those at the stadium, it is fun. grin
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 1:54pm On Jul 01, 2009
Beckenbauer on South Africa(FIFA.com) Tuesday 30 June 2009
Print Email my friend Share

Franz Beckenbauer is a busy man wherever he goes and things were no different at the FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 for the 63-year-old legend. In his role as a member of the FIFA Executive Committee, the Bayern Munich president spent several days in South Africa, taking time in between his many other duties to watch the two semi-finals and the play-off for third place.

Beckenbauer also found time to speak to FIFA.com exclusively about his first impressions of South Africa, his optimism for African football in general, the potential failure of several international heavyweights to qualify for next summer’s finals, and Germany’s crunch away qualifier in Russia. The man who won the FIFA World Cup™ both as a player and as a coach also shed some light on the current situation at Germany’s most successful club.

FIFA.com: Mr Beckenbauer, how do you rate the FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 both in terms of football and organisation?
Franz Beckenbauer: Everything I’ve seen so far has been very good. There were a few surprises in the group stage, especially in the Italy-Brazil game which the South Americans completely dominated. Overall I’d say that the football has been of a very high quality. The weather played a role, too, as it was very cool in the evenings, meaning the players were forced to keep moving so that they didn’t get cold. The organisation was very, very good. There were no problems and everything went to plan, so all in all it was a successful dress rehearsal for next summer’s World Cup.

Which team caused the biggest surprise in your eyes?
The USA of course! They lost their first two games and were by most people’s accounts as good as out. I’m sure they’d already packed their bags when the news came through they would be playing supposedly invincible Spain in the semi-finals. But that’s football - how many times have we seen one of the favourites slip up? The Spanish didn’t play badly either, they just couldn’t break their opponents down. The Americans rattled them with their sheer athleticism.

Was there a team which impressed you in particular?
That’s difficult to say. I don’t think the performances of South Africa and USA were a one-off, though. Both sides played with a high tempo and astonishingly they were able to maintain it over the 90 minutes. For me, that was the biggest surprise of all!

World champions Italy crashed out in the group stage and European champions Spain failed to make it to the final. Do you think that these two heavyweights now have an advantage going into next summer’s FIFA World Cup having had this wake up call with plenty of time to spare?
That could well be! I think they looked really disappointed, especially the Italians.

What did you make of the atmosphere in the South African stadia? How did you find the vuvuzelas…
I’ve experienced that kind of atmosphere a few times during my career. It seems very strange to us Europeans, but it’s not unpleasant. You get used to the tone of it, sometimes it gets a bit louder, sometimes quieter, but I can’t say it really bothers me. When I’m in the stadium, a brass band could be playing next to me and I wouldn’t hear them because I’m so focused on the game.

Can fans look forward to a FIFA World Cup full of South African passion next summer?
Absolutely! You’ve seen for yourselves how enthusiastic the South Africans are, so I’m sure you can imagine how big next year is going to be.

Let’s move on to the subject of World Cup qualification. With Argentina, France and Portugal all struggling to qualify for South Africa 2010, three perceived giants of the international game could be forced to watch next summer’s finals from their sofas. How do you rate their respective chances?
I’m sure that Argentina will make it in the end. Portugal are having major problems qualifying. They need to win all their remaining games and hope that the teams around them do them a favour too. It would be a terrible pity if France were to miss out. That said, history doesn’t mean a thing and you have to make sure you qualify like everyone else. I hope that all three make it to South Africa, but the Portuguese are facing a real uphill struggle.

Under the tutelage of Fabio Capello, England have been playing their best football in a long time. Do you consider England to be among the favourites for the World Cup?
Of course! The English have learned from their failure to qualify for the European Championships and Capello is an experienced coach who has really brought some order into the camp. Their form in the current qualifying campaign is second to none and when an English team qualifies for a major tournament, they are always among the favourites.

Germany have a difficult and potentially decisive match against Russia coming up in October. How do you think the German squad will approach the game? Are you confident they can go there and get a result?
A draw would be enough because we still have a one-point lead. We’ll be playing on artificial grass, which is of course very different to normal grass, so we’re going to have to adjust to that. If we can do that, then I’m sure we can get a positive result and qualify for the World Cup as group winners.

Berti Vogts recently mentioned in an interview with FIFA.com that he would not be surprised to see an African side make it to the semi-finals at South Africa 2010. Do you agree?
I’ve been waiting for over ten years now for an African team to make a serious impact at a World Cup. I was slightly disappointed with the African sides at Germany 2006, especially with Cote d’Ivoire as they had Didier Drogba up front. Now they have the chance to prove themselves on home turf, what with the competition being held in Africa. I agree with my good friend Berti Vogts, though – it certainly wouldn’t come as a shock to me to see an African side make it to the semi finals.

Do you have a particular team in mind?
Well I think we need to wait and see what happens in the African qualifiers first. Just as in Europe, a few of the big names are having real problems at the moment. The South Africans are great at building attacks, they’re technically very strong and they have some very skilful players, but they struggle in front of goal. If they can find someone who can put the ball in the back of the net, they would definitely be my tip to surprise a few people. Either way, it would be a fantastic achievement for African football if an African side were to make it into the semi-finals.

Before we go, just a couple of questions on Bayern Munich. Louis van Gaal has arrived as coach and has already brought in a host of new faces. What are you expecting from the team over the coming season?
Van Gaal is well known for his hard-line approach, his will to win and his desire to see football played the way he feels it should be played. He has been given a clear task and we are convinced that he will succeed because he’s proven his ability for many years now. We needed a real football master, a coach who understands the tactical side of the game and has the character to implement it. I hope we have a successful season ahead, especially after last year’s disappointment.

What is the current situation regarding Franck Ribery?

I hope he stays. For me, he’s up there with Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo as one of the best players in the world. We don’t have too many world-class players in the Bundesliga, especially now that Diego has left Werder Bremen for Juventus. If Ribery left then it would be a massive step backwards, and that’s something we want to avoid.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by biolabee(m): 7:59pm On Jul 01, 2009
RSA:

I'm in Cape Town City,may I ask why you asking?

Hoping to come over next year, lets still see how things go
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 9:41am On Jul 02, 2009
biolabee:

Hoping to come over next year, lets still see how things go

If you come for the World cup,bring warm clothes cause it's going to be freezing,at the stadium make sure you have a vuvusela,because by blowing it up for the whole 90 mins,means you'll probably be warming yourself grin grin

@Mukina tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by biolabee(m): 5:24pm On Jul 02, 2009
thanks RSA

RSA:

If you come for the World cup,bring warm clothes cause it's going to be freezing,at the stadium make sure you have a vuvusela,because by blowing it up for the whole 90 mins,means you'll probably be warming yourself grin grin

rotflmao
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by mukina2: 5:37pm On Jul 02, 2009
RSA:

you miss me? grin grin grin

Vuvusela should be destroyed angry grin
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by obukeni(m): 12:24am On Jul 03, 2009
im nu 2 nairaland, hvin sme diffcults,nybdy care 2 help
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by folem: 1:59am On Jul 04, 2009
biolabee:

Issues noted

Be nice, they were worthy adversaries  tongue

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2009/07/south_african_safety.html

South African Safety

Clifton Broumand has attended every World Cup since 1982, a total of 82 matches over eight tournaments. As a fan who has navigated countless stadiums, taken late-night trains and rushed around unfamiliar cities, he has never had a major safety concern. But as the 2010 event in South Africa approaches, Broumand offers this cautionary tale from his experience at the recent Confederations Cup.

"On the evening of the final in Johannesburg, my friend and I were walking back to our car and three males attempted to rob us at knife point," said Broumand, 51, who has lived in the Washington area for 27 years and serves as a referee in local amateur leagues. "We got out of that by yelling. Later that morning while I was sleeping at my B&B, my bungalow was broken into and I was assaulted, tied up, gagged and all of my possessions were stolen."

Confronted by intruders with a gun and knife, he said he lost a laptop computer, camera, two cell phones, cash, passport, shoes and all of his clothes -- except for the item used to cover his mouth. The incident occurred in an area well north of Johannesburg, seemingly safe for tourists, he said.

You'll want to keep reading this thread,

He said numerous police officers arrived at the scene, in large part, according to the B&B owner, because he was a foreigner who had been victimized. South African citizens were eager to assist him in a time of need.

"I had no other problems before or after the other [six] games that I attended. The people are extraordinarily nice. They offered me money and said, 'Take it! Take it! We are so sorry.' It's a great place, a great country. I will go back. It's just there is a small amount of people who will take advantage of the situation" with the World Cup and hundreds of thousands of visitors in the country.

Broumand borrowed money from a friend to buy new clothes and received an emergency passport before returning home to Washington this week.

"People need to know what to expect," he said. "I now have first-hand experience. I might've been the only victim of a violent crime the whole tournament, but that doesn't make me feel any better."

His message to those thousands of supporters who will be joining him in South Africa next year: "This will be the most challenging [of any World Cup] in regard to safety and security. You have to be exceptionally cautious."
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by yoruba: 7:06am On Jul 06, 2009
British & Irish lions supporters came to South Africa in thousands not even one of them experienced any sort of crime. But imagine, if the world cup is played outside of Joburg Ill bet you it'll be a 100% safe event.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by folem: 1:35pm On Jul 06, 2009
yoruba:

British & Irish lions supporters came to South Africa in thousands not even one of them experienced any sort of crime. But imagine, if the world cup is played outside of Joburg Ill bet you it'll be a 100% safe event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_east/8120493.stm

Rugby fan's warning after mugging in Bloemfontein

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/British-And-Irish-Lions-Four-British-Fans-Robbed-In-Johannesburg-Ahead-Of-South-Africa-Fixture/Article/200906315313045?lpos=World_News_Top_Stories_Header_4&lid=ARTICLE_15313045_British_And_Irish_Lions%3A_Four_British_Fans_Robbed_In_Johannesburg_Ahead_Of_South_Africa_Fixture

Lions Fans Robbed Ahead Of Africa Clash
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by yoruba: 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2009
@folem
It seems you do have a point there and this world cup will be a difficult challenge for visitors.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 2:45pm On Jul 06, 2009
I think the biggest challenge for SA/Africa is that people expect us to fail even before we try.Yes Iam dissapointed at what happened to british lions fans,who where lost and end up in the wrong neighbourhood,maybe we can improve on advising visitors on which place to avoid.We have hosted lots of international tournament without problems,we hosted Confedaration and the Rugby British lions tour at the same time and there was  only one serious incident. Give SA a chance,next world cup will be in brasil and it's crime rate is also high,but people will give them a chance.

And to honest SA is not as bad as people say,we have independed anti goverment media,that is very vocal and report ony bad news,white people are continuing making fortune but also are also the most negative people in SA.If you read their papers you'll even be afraid of going to the toilet in your own house.Iam not saying there is no crime but most of it is been intentionally exagerated for commecial reason.
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by mukina2: 2:48pm On Jul 06, 2009
RSA:

[b]I think the biggest challenge for SA/Africa is that people expect us to fail even before we try.[/b]Yes Iam dissapointed at what happened to british lions fans,who where lost and end up in the wrong neighbourhood,maybe we can improve on advising visitors on which place to avoid.We have hosted lots of international tournament without a problems,we hosted Confedaration and the Rugby British lions tour at the same time and there was  only one serious incident. Give SA a chance,next world cup will be in brasil and it's crime rate is also high,but people will give them a chance.

And to honest SA is not as bad as people say,we have independed anti goverment media,that is very vocal and report ony bad news,white people are continuing making fortune but also are also the most negative people in SA.If you read their papers you'll even be afraid of going to the toilet in your own house.Iam not saying there is no crime but most of it is been intentionally exagerated for commecial reason.
grin grin grin cheesy grin ban the vuvusela's ,stop the xenophobia cheesy
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by RSA(m): 2:55pm On Jul 06, 2009
mukina2:

grin grin grin cheesy grin ban the vuvusela's ,stop the xenophobia cheesy

Princess I'm being serious here,let me tell you the fact,majority of South Africans are not xenophobic but I don't think we have to justify ourself to you.I love you princess,and Iam sure you know that grin.It's unfortunate that I am married,I was going to propose to you right here,on nairaland grin wink
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by mukina2: 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2009
Stop smoking grin focus focus. grin
ban the vuvuselas and stop the xenophobia grin
Re: FIFA Confederations Cup: South Africa '09 Official Thread by yoruba: 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2009
Its gonna be a violent world cup next year cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (Reply)

Maurizio Sarri Reacts To Chelsea's Shocking Defeat By Man City / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Bayern Munich :UCL (2 - 7) On 1st October 2019 / Arsenal Vs Tottenham Hotspur (2 - 2) On 1st September 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.