Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? (1202 Views)

Continued Detention Of Metuh, Unhealthy For Nigeria’s Democracy – Ekweremadu / Is Nigeria's Democracy, Democratic? / Has Tribalism On Nairaland Affected You Negatively? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by kosovo(m): 9:04pm On May 29, 2009
Democracy was supposed to be government for all, but as usual, it came to Nigeria 10 years ago and has turned to WAR against the people.

Today we celebrated Democracy day, and through out the day, for the first time in one month, there was power outage through out the day in my area.

Sighs,

All thanks to the power from generator.

I watched some persons giving their contribution on what effect Democracy has brought. these were some of the information i gathered.

in Silverbird,  a top government official said Democracy has given freedom to journalist, now they could talk and express themselves without fear of being put behind bars like in the days of Abacha.
   so i reasoned,
Democracy made President yar adua shutdown Channels unconstitutionally over a contradictory statement they made on air.

In NTA, the self acclaimed largest network in Africa, another guy said, Nigeria is still young, and that Nigeria just got their independence 30 years ago, while other countries like America had theirs 250 years ago.

I  reasoned agian,
was this guy drunk?, he doesn’t even have an idea of how old Nigeria is, 49years+, still young? lol

In AIT, another guy said that, he has not seen any difference between the military and civilian rule, he said Nigeria was in a world of their own, and what Nigeria practice is only known to her and it was definitely not democracy.

I quickly concurred with him.

In channels, one learned man said, that it was a shame that at this point in our democracy, local governments chairman are still commissioning three blocks of classrooms  and showing it on air. when they are suppose to be commissioning mega projects that would affect the lives of individuals.

Having heard all these, what else could i say or imagine, if not the worse, i recalled that the PDP chairman said presidency was not available to other parties until after 60years.
was it not in the same democracy that one man looted $16 Billion power funds, that would have been able to build 3 Nuclear plants that would be able to power the entire Nigeria, Benin republic and Togo for 24 hours.
During our democracy also, BABA said that elections were Do or Die affair, and there was no need voting for a party that would not win.

I have always wept for this Nation because the whites EXTORTED us BRUTALIZED us, ENSLAVED us, and  we managed to come out of it, yet WE STILL FIGHT OURSELVES. ( Niger-Delta crises)

I just want the current president( MR. 7-point agenda) and Madam Rebranding to stop deceiving Nigerians.

MR. 7-point agenda just give us ONE POINT AGENDA, POWER.

Fellow Nairalanders what do you think about Nigeria's democracy?
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by mustafar1: 9:06pm On May 29, 2009
the correct name for dem na LOOTERS GO, LOOTERS COME!
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by MrCrackles(m): 9:09pm On May 29, 2009
kosovo:

Today we celebrated Democracy day,

You celebrated something which is non-existent? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by MaiSuya(m): 9:13pm On May 29, 2009
In channels, one learned man said, that it was a shame that at this point in our democracy, l[b]ocal governments chairman are still commissioning three blocks of classrooms and showing it on air[/b]. when they are suppose to be commissioning mega projects that would affect the lives of individuals.

Shameless fifle! angry
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by kosovo(m): 9:22pm On May 29, 2009
You celebrated something which is non-existent?

i didn't and i doubt if you did.
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by blacksta(m): 9:36pm On May 29, 2009
Funny enough  i watched  a similar broadcast on AIT

where children were interviewed

Child A

Interviewer : Has life been better under this democracy or do u prefer a military

child A:  Life has been good , everything is going well - but i would like the government to build more schools and provide more books for our shool.

I thought  to myself  does this child live in Nigeria - it must be a mistake

Int:  same question to child b

b:  Life is good and we have no problems but i would like the government to pay our teachers in school so that we dont have any more strikes

I thought to myself " life is good and no problems"  This must be another mistake  or may be the children are shy.

Int :  Same question to child c

c:  we thank God for where we are  and life has also been good but i would also like the government to spend more on education.

At that point i thought to myself " These children must be have brainwashed and some how cant see the hardship arround them. or could it be that are now  masters in the area of suffering and smiling"  at a young age.
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by MrCrackles(m): 9:38pm On May 29, 2009
kosovo:

i didn't and i doubt if you did.

What is my business with Nigeria?!

I am from Saudi Arabia! tongue
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by kosovo(m): 9:47pm On May 29, 2009
What is my business with Nigeria?!

I am from Saudi Arabia!
and you spend your entire adult life on Nairaland?
so what do you stand to gain?

No hard feelings.
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by blackspade(m): 9:51pm On May 29, 2009
See? Is this a joke?
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by MrCrackles(m): 9:52pm On May 29, 2009
kosovo:

and you spend your entire adult life on Nairaland?
 so what do you stand to gain?

No hard feelings.

None of your business if i spend my entire life on a toilet seat! tongue
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by kosovo(m): 10:15pm On May 29, 2009
None of your business if i spend my entire life on a toilet seat!
i don't think there is any need for these bashing for now!
i recomend you go to sleep.
have a nice night rest
Re: How has Nigeria's Democracy affected you? by kosovo(m): 11:41pm On May 29, 2009
good!

(1) (Reply)

Massob Knock Gov. Obi On The Head / How Can Nigeria Sanction The Us? What Do We Have That The US Will Possibly Want? / Man Ra/pes Woman In Movie Theater, Finishes Watching Movie With Wife And Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.