Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,666 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) (57733 Views)

6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women / Throwback: The Most Bizarre Nigerian Freaky Myths Children Ever Heard (funny) / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by astute07(f): 8:10pm On Dec 04, 2015
V seen ambush baby @ one area in auchi; during d night.so I don't classify it as a myth.
The experience wasn't funy though.I was chilled cold & I was even thinking but praying to survive their sight
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by adisa204(m): 8:11pm On Dec 04, 2015
Omo some of this myths are true ohhh,high school days when some of my mates used to wake up by 4.30 to have der bath before the 5am Chapel. This special day my while having der bath, they all suddenly started screaming that they say three old women sitting on the floor in the courtyard.Mehn it wasn't funny this was my js3 when I was still in igbobi college yaba. I turned to prayer warrior, always sleeping with Bible and hymn book and drinking anointing oil before going to bed

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by sparkleRed(f): 8:13pm On Dec 04, 2015
ssweetorgasm:
i heard eveything u posted plus student witches pressing of students at night, i was afraid of going to that school to visit my friends.
Ahahha lol @ pressing student, didn't hear of dat sha
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Young03(m): 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2015
my mum told me not to carry plate in hand while eating at nyt, so dt i will not invite spirits

she even said i should not look in the mirror at nyt dats its a big taboo

dat i should not back d door at night
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by HaneefahRN(f): 8:16pm On Dec 04, 2015
Lolz. All these myths sha. I remembered the Miss Koi Koi and hair girl while in boarding sch, I cldn't sleep well the day I was told the myths. Boarding house sha, I remember the day two of my roommates woke up screaming saying they saw a small boy sitting beside them and watching. That nyt ehn, I didn't know how I jumped down from the bunk, it was after I got out, I asked what happened
One thing I know for sure is jinns exist. Like humans there are gud and bad jinns, although the bad ones are more. They exist in another realm but sometimes attack humans or take over their body. Some fake men of God and alfas also use them to do supernatural things and for fortune telling

6 Likes

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by killsmith(f): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2015
Chai...Africans!!...
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by germaphobe(m): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2015
madam koi koi case i tink it's true cus during my days in skul we once experience a wind blow nd d teachers told us all to run out, thank God it ws during exam tym cus i didnt come with my bag. Nd dat of bush baby my grandma says its real(i no knw ooƱ na she talk am), na mami water haaa me no say dat one is real cus i hv an experience once wit combs nd hairs on our streem jst last two years december.
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by djojo(m): 8:51pm On Dec 04, 2015
I pity those that are saying jin, egbere, don't exist cos they are educated or just just don't believe in it. It is good if u don't believe in it but don't say those things don't exist.
In Islam . Prophet (pbuh) made mention of it and where they always stay like in the toilet, market, or anywhere that waste is been put, it is good not to talk in the bathroom or toilet and if u are staying in area where there is bush u must not walk alone and if u will do so always say some prayers. Many of us nowadays are of computer age so we think we should only believe in what see and not the supernatural that is why many nowadays don't do normal. My cousin who is serving presently in akwa ibom told me about a lady that the jin entered her body and sh started disturbing the camp.
The madam koikoi av never heard of it before so so can't say anything about it.
The mammy water do exist also but what I believe is that God created them all.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by coursehybridrep(m): 9:35pm On Dec 04, 2015
Lsofdk:

i heard it's a cat but a bit larger than domestic cat and mostly attacks women and children
from ur description i think its a mountain lion.but neva tot mountain lions are in nigeria
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by thundafire: 9:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
viickerz:
That bush baby is called egbere in yoruba land.
Legend has it that, the egbere has a mat that it carries around, this mat is belived to have mystical powers, It is also belived that anybody that steals the mat from the egbere will have to endure the crying. This means that the egbere[/b]will stay by the window side of the person every night, crying and begging the person to return its mat.. If such a person can endure the crying for some weeks, the [b]egbere will leave the person.. Afterwards, such a person will get stinkingly rich.

There are plenty of other yoruba myths, i will be back with more.

*modified*

There are also allegations of Bush rats having mystical powers. Bush rats are called okete (im not sure if i got the spelling).

guy u finish me with laugh BUSH RAT with mystical powers lolololollolololololololol in other news our ancestors re dy

There has been different stories of Bush Rats[/b]having the ability to turn into human beings on market days and go to the market and buy food..

There are also some hunters that have allegedly seen these bush rats in the jungle at night, walking with their two hind legs and carrying stuffs like yams, fruits, etc on their heads and walking like human beings.
Now, i can attest to this coz, i once went hunting with my friends in my village before and when we were trying to fish a [b]bush rat
out of its hole, we found ingridents like maggi, onion e.t.c inside its hole.. (we ran for our lives grin )

My dad also told me once that if you wash a mortar, and you use the water from it to wash your face, then proceed to any market spuare, you will have the ability to see ghosts and different demons in form of human beings that come and buy food..(i have not tried this oo)

guy u finish me with laugh loooooooooooooooooooooooooool BUSH RAT with mystical powers imagine dat nonsense,in other news our ancestors re dy cause of our present troubles complete illiterates

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by thundafire: 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2015
bush baby is a little animal dat dnt cry but makes a sound like dat of a baby so dy myth around it lies

jinn also lies dts an acient story 4rm dy East in which dy tell children

madam koi koi lies

and to conclude everything thank God 4 white men intense research abt animals nd another things cs i doubt if Africans will could ever had good sense
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by shizzy7(f): 9:46pm On Dec 04, 2015
NinaTohBadt:
THE BUSH BABY IS CALLED "EGBERE"

And we have 3 TYPES OF EKUN EGBERE
grin grin ;DD

Check the last one here www.weddinginnigeria.com
grin grin grin Abegii no use laugh kill me for here. Those people are just crying, I don't know why they are called Ekun Egbere or Bush babies.

I actually believed madam koin koin, most girls who lived in boarding schools must have heard about them.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by tolastikha: 9:54pm On Dec 04, 2015
In the small village of iyansan where I grew up, we call it Iseku (bush baby) its real. My late father a well known Ogboni man in the then Westward, he was popularly known as Apena by his followers. He once had a whole night fight with Iseku and he defeated it came in at about 4am with the mat and a small stone belonging to the Iseku. I saw the items with my nicked eyes.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by icelord(m): 10:25pm On Dec 04, 2015
ideatoprince18:
...... north ...... any problem
am frm south.. Jus wanted to ask
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by ideatoprince18(m): 10:28pm On Dec 04, 2015
icelord:
am frm south.. Jus wanted to ask
..... okay ..... we are technically still brodas ......besides which town
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by shozillo(m): 10:33pm On Dec 04, 2015
adjoviomole:
@ op d one of bush babies is actually real. I have living witnesses of dem. Dey are called ""iwin" in yoruba. My dad av seen one b4, my mum too wen she was still in republic of benin. And recently during our camp a frnd jamd one n he was nt himself dat night. I slept like a baby tho. smiley

Funny Dude..Why have u nt seen it by urself!!!
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 04, 2015
Kirigidi:
Is dat not a terrible lie? And u believ it? It is a shame dat many educatd pipo stil believ such superstitious stories met to deciev unwise nd guillable pipo in d past. One major reason why Africa is d way it is today is too much diabolic beliefs, as educatn has not realy tranformd d mentality, nd life-views or reality of many so-calld educatd Africans.
Pls u are from which town or village, not to have believe, such things exit in africa
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by sabi99(m): 10:53pm On Dec 04, 2015
ideatoprince18:
NICE WORK BY OP

......... One of d most popular one I got first hand experience was the popular saying that " if you collect d eyelashes of a dog or the Apollo from a dogs eye mistakenly touches ur eye u wud start seeing spirits!!!! " .....,.
..........One day I happened to play with a neighbors Rottweiler as a kid rubbing my face all ova his face when I got home I saw strange things I Neva fathomed even to d extent of seeing a man crying in front of our gate when I showed my daddy he said he didn't see anything ........ they took me for serious deliverance b4 I stopped seeing such!!!!!!
I blv u bro....ur signature sef go tell person say u don see spirits before
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by sabi99(m): 11:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
Raiders:
witches and mermaid doesn't exist.they are myths
they r myth? Yet we have witches n wizards association of nigeria here in abuja at d back of aso rock
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by sabi99(m): 11:07pm On Dec 04, 2015
Spirits exists....I av greeted somebody like this "goodevening sir" n passed, but d man didn't respond, so I turned almost immediately to know if evrtn was alright, 2 my greatest surprise I didn't see d man again, he disappeared

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Roon9(m): 11:27pm On Dec 04, 2015
That jinn is no myth. I served in katsina. Often times u see young girls rolling crying n hitting themselves ..... Its a scary sight ni
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Lolaabokoku(f): 11:36pm On Dec 04, 2015
Nice 1
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by samoice(m): 3:31am On Dec 05, 2015
lekankolade:
There was a Yoruba believe which our parents used to tell us back then, they used to say if Rain is falling and u spread ur hand to collect the water, thunder will strike that person down immediately...later I realised that it's nothing than a pure lie, just to scare us to avoid been catching cold
. it's nt a lie. it is scientifically proven!!!
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Nobody: 4:14am On Dec 05, 2015
@Egbere............Why are yorubas too fetish and backward? undecided undecided
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 05, 2015
Back in secondary sch days, my bed faced the only route to the most dreaded part of the girls hostel at night: the backyard. all these stuffs lived in that backyard. I heard mrs koi koi severally, I heard bush baby severally, add to a peculiar one: black man. this man is a spirit but appears as a young man looking for girls to seduce. He comes to girls who are alone and hypnotizes them. One day we saw him and pursued him he disappeared o!

Another peculiar ailment we named alanta fever: during a particular time in school, about 5 - 7 girls pass out while shaking like they are convulsing. A gifted girl always sees an old man packing blood into a drum during that time.

Then for witches, one night, we were reading for our waec seriously with our individual torchlight, the next thing we heard was: I said it first I said it first, I'm taking the head, another voice shouted immediately I'm taking the leg, another voice shouted immediately i'm taking the hand etc, mehn, before you say jack, all the torchlight in my room went out everybody immediately started forming sleep on top of our books. Naso we sleep till the next day o.

Another day, my room mate fell sick and was running temperature, we took her to the resident nurse, they treated her till the fever died down, in the night, she started again and was screaming to her school mother to pull her out that some men were trying to put her inside a coffin. E no easy that day o, she was exhibiting super strength and saying alot of things.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by lanryco(m): 6:24am On Dec 05, 2015
Raiders:
undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Memyselfu2009(m): 6:26am On Dec 05, 2015
STORY 4 D gods
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by montezz(f): 6:55am On Dec 05, 2015
Raiders:
I don see where witch confess before ooo...infact d woman was a friend's mum. She died shortly after d incident. There are people who claimed to v seen mammy water before.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by deji47: 7:42am On Dec 05, 2015
tgmservice:
u are dumb yes there is an animal called the bush baby also know as the iguana but not the evil one u think
It usually amazes me when someone calls another dumb just because he thinks he's wiser and in the process of proving his "wisdom" actually shows he isn't any better. A bush baby is NOT known as Iguana because a Bush baby is a mammal and an Iguana a reptile. The first picture is that of an Iguana while the second and third pictures are of Bush baby also known as GALAGO.
p.s The bush baby herein aren't the mat carrying, wealth dispensing ones in the myth or stories described above o.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by adjoviomole(m): 8:01am On Dec 05, 2015
Lsofdk:

i heard it's a cat but a bit larger than domestic cat and mostly attacks women and children

Wot My frnd saw was nt a cat. N he cld nt b dat. Frightened.. D one my dad saw,,he said wen he saw it ,his head bcame weird like it got swollen. I hate to bliv in all dis stuffs but dis particular one is real. I have nt seen myself n I don't wish to.
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by adjoviomole(m): 8:12am On Dec 05, 2015
shozillo:

Funny Dude..Why have u nt seen it by urself!!!

Well I don't bliv in dis stuffs. But I know dey exist. I don't wish to have d experience tho.My parents are born again christians,I know dey can't tell lies. N if u are familiar with republic o benin,those ppl too get witches n wizards too o. Der own fit pass naija own self.

I hear about using of d dogs wax frm d eye tho. I don't want to try n confirm it by putting d dogs wax on my own eyes.but u cld try it out for us na.n tel us if its real or not

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by icelord(m): 10:20am On Dec 05, 2015
ideatoprince18:

..... okay ..... we are technically still brodas ......besides which town
isiekenesi(hope I got d spelling sha)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 / Video Of Olu Of Warri Playing Basketball / Igwe Umenyiora Donates Food Items To His Community In Anambra (Photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.