Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,036 members, 7,956,837 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:21 PM

10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) (58531 Views)

6 Nigerian Cultural Myths That Are Unfavourable To Women / Throwback: The Most Bizarre Nigerian Freaky Myths Children Ever Heard (funny) / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by ideatoprince18(m): 10:50am On Dec 05, 2015
icelord:
isiekenesi(hope I got d spelling sha)
...lol ..... am I an Igbo teacher ...... am from urualla
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Wryhder: 10:58am On Dec 05, 2015
faith551:
Wow, nice work op, I used to hear about this myths since my primary school days, but the one that really fascinated me far into adult hood was the Bush baby and madam Koi Koi, prolly because I never was a boarder and most borders at that time attested to the story.
The op says this bush baby is a myth. I live in an off-camp hostel, and have, a few times, heard the sound of a crying baby at night in my compound. No little babies around. Thought I was hearing things. It was scary. Couldn't ask my neighbors for fear I was the only one hearing it. Until I got talking with one and accidentally mentioned it. She said it was a bush baby. That was the first time I'd heard of such. She says it's an animal with a baby's cry. It's the only explanation that jibes with what I heard, because I don't put much stock in witches and the like.
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by faith551(m): 11:39am On Dec 05, 2015
Wryhder:
The op says this bush baby is a myth. I live in an off-camp hostel, and have, a few times, heard the sound of a crying baby at night in my compound. No little babies around. Thought I was hearing things. It was scary. Couldn't ask my neighbors for fear I was the only one hearing it. Until I got talking with one and accidentally mentioned it. She said it was a bush baby. That was the first time I'd heard of such. She says it's an animal with a baby's cry. It's the only explanation that jibes with what I heard, because I don't put much stock in witches and the like.

Maybe the reason the op termed it a myth is because the animal might probably be harmless and not evil as it was thought to be.
There are few animals that make human like sounds, a hyena for example could closely sound like its laughing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by BlackOnassis(m): 11:59am On Dec 05, 2015
click like if you've been ambushed by a bush baby at night. click share if u think the bush baby was actually the JSS 1 boy from whom u chanced Milo, Titus and Cabin biscuit.
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Kirigidi(m): 12:59pm On Dec 05, 2015
Akinwunm1:

Pls u are from which town or village, not to have believe, such things exit in africa
I'm frm Delta State, nd I hav heard about all those superstitious stories countless times. They ar false. As an educatd person, u supposd to knw better nd shuld b in positn to emancipate d unenlightened illiterates frm such darkness of ingnorance. I'm a lover of history, nd hav com to undastnd thru researchs nd investigtn dat many of those stories or myths were mere fabricatns by our cunny ancestors to instil fear in d minds of stubborn pipo nd bring them unda control. For exmple, it is only a half-baked educatd person wil believ d myth dat Oduduwa fell frm d sky, or dat pythons carry diamonds in dia stomachs which they vomit out wen they want to eat in d night nd dat d illuminatn frm d diamond cover several kilometrs, or dat Nigeria playd football match wit India in which India beat Nigeria 99 goals to 1 wen India culdn't even reach qtr-finals in past Asian Cup competitns.
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by internetpo(m): 4:06pm On Dec 17, 2015
Wonderful. heard some of these myths. would love to hear more. any research site online?
Re: 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos) by Absmorpheus: 11:48am On Aug 13, 2016
People will believe what they want to believe, myth or not.Education sometimes has nothing to do wether one believe myths are true or not, if you think all these things are myths, travel to some state in yoruba land and dare their myths you go sabi God if you still dey alive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi & His Wives At His Daughter's wedding (Photos) / Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi At Gabriel Igbinedion’s 85th Birthday (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Wedding Invitation & Details,To Marry Wuraola Obanor Next Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.