Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice (28233 Views)

How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University / I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed / See How Facebook Drastically Improved My Son's Grades In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by elmajor(m): 12:56pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
Good day Nairalanders, the time I started writing this is 3:22am, whether am a popular NLder or not doesn't matter, but I would like to Conceal my identity. These would be a bit long, because I would want to explain all what is happening and has been happening to me concerning my education.

I am from the eastern part of Nigeria, and school somewhere in the south, part of the top 10 universities in Nigeria.
Back in my, Primary and Junior secondary school, I was extremely brilliant, always part of first 3, a lot of times I was 1st in class and best overall. Even my junior waec, I was so happy, people were happy for me.

The problem started in my secondary school, I noticed I started dropping, my 2nd term in SS1, I was 21/23 in class, same school, same class mates.
I thought maybe I had started playing to much, so I stopped all what I figured out could be the problem, yet there was no solution, my parents got me private teachers for my core subjects. Once they are with me, I would understand what they teach me, when they leave, I don't slack, I continue reading and reading, when exam comes, it would seem like I wasn't the one who read. A day before the exam, it would be fresh in my head and when I even write the exam, my mind would be like "you have killed it"
My parents would ask how it was, my reply would be: "yes, it was perfect, expecting the perfect result".

When I see my result, I would as usual fail virtually everything.
Still, I managed to go/forge ahead, I was able to pass my WASSCE in one sitting, how I did that I don't know, not that I passed outstandingly, I only had 'credit' in all the subject I was expect to have grade 'C'.

Then the hustle for Jamb came, let it be known that I wrote jamb 5 times, and the 5th time was when I got admitted to my school of choice.

Currently in my 200level, we resumed a new session about 2months ago. Now to what caused dis write up.

My first semester of 100level result: C, F, A, D, D.

A terrible result for someone in 100level, yes, I know. I felt too relaxed first semester, played a lot.
I determined that 2nd semester would be better, not that I was expecting all A's but I didn't want any F.
So my whole 2nd semester was reading all through, I read to the extent that I started feeling sure I should have A's in at least 3 out of 6 courses.

But when the result came in, it was worse than my first semester without me playing or getting distracted,
My 2nd semester of 100level result: C, F, C, E, C,F

And now 200level has kicked off, but something is happening to me.

I don't think I can survive this anymore,
My parents don't have money, my dad is struggling to send us to school.
None of my siblings work,
I have been contemplating different means of ending my life,
I move about with shame, I don't sleep anymore, I can't get my head straight, I would stay awake all night crying and praying for a change in my academic life.

I have done all what I think I can humanly do, hence why the thought of taking my life,
I know I can't create a life, but of what use is one that doesn't seem to make people happy?
But then, I decided to come on here, to ask if there is something else in reading I am not doing apart from, reading.... I have applied all the reading techniques applicable, jot while reading, revise, ask myself questions, and all. But still after exam, I don't seem to have that desired result, I have prayed countless times.

By my side is a chemical I got when I discovered I had 2f's. Education, they say is the best legacy. But in my case it isn't sure if it would be, I am a business oriented person, but no money to even establish myself, so that's not an option, please Nairalanders, I don't wish to Take my life, please is there anything you can suggest to me other than suicide and constant reading and prayers. I am 22years of age.

cry
God bless.

I just hope this is not belated.
When I read ur post Topic I asked myself, what u are waiting for. That was a bad thought. Ur story is saddening. I can only imagine the emotional pain u're going through. But then, SUICIDE is NOT the OPTION! Probably u've tried everything to get better result and it fail I am sure u've left one thing out. Dear friend, NOTHING PASS GOD. Go to God with all ur heart and table ur problem b4 Him. Don't say He knows. Purify urself by confessing ur sins to Him and ask Him to cleanse u with the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST and then, talk to Him as ur Father. He will surely come to ur help.
So my good friend, suicide is not the solution but God, through His Son Jesus Christ, is the solution u need.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 11, 2015
So long a letter.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by chinchum(m): 1:03pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
Good day Nairalanders, the time I started writing this is 3:22am, whether am a popular NLder or not doesn't matter, but I would like to Conceal my identity. These would be a bit long, because I would want to explain all what is happening and has been happening to me concerning my education.

I am from the eastern part of Nigeria, and school somewhere in the south, part of the top 10 universities in Nigeria.
Back in my, Primary and Junior secondary school, I was extremely brilliant, always part of first 3, a lot of times I was 1st in class and best overall. Even my junior waec, I was so happy, people were happy for me.

The problem started in my secondary school, I noticed I started dropping, my 2nd term in SS1, I was 21/23 in class, same school, same class mates.
I thought maybe I had started playing to much, so I stopped all what I figured out could be the problem, yet there was no solution, my parents got me private teachers for my core subjects. Once they are with me, I would understand what they teach me, when they leave, I don't slack, I continue reading and reading, when exam comes, it would seem like I wasn't the one who read. A day before the exam, it would be fresh in my head and when I even write the exam, my mind would be like "you have killed it"
My parents would ask how it was, my reply would be: "yes, it was perfect, expecting the perfect result".

Still, I managed to go/forge ahead, I was able to pass my WASSCE in one sitting, how I did that I don't know, not that I passed outstandingly, I only had 'credit' in all the subject I was expect to have grade 'C'.

Then the hustle for Jamb came, let it be known that I wrote jamb 5 times, and the 5th time was when I got admitted to my school of choice.

Currently in my 200level, we resumed a new session about 2months ago. Now to what caused dis write up.

A terrible result for someone in 100level, yes, I know. I felt too relaxed first semester, played a lot.
I determined that 2nd semester would be better, not that I was expecting all A's but I didn't want any F.
So my whole 2nd semester was reading all through, I read to the extent that I started feeling sure I should have A's in at least 3 out of 6 courses.

But when the result came in, it was worse than my first semester without me playing or getting distracted,

I move about with shame, I don't sleep anymore, I can't get my head straight, I would stay awake all night crying and praying for a change in my academic life.

I have done all what I think I can humanly do, hence why the thought of taking my life,
I know I can't create a life, but of what use is one that doesn't seem to make people happy?
But then, I decided to come on here, to ask if there is something else in reading I am not doing apart from, reading.... I have applied all the reading techniques applicable, jot while reading, revise, ask myself questions, and all. But still after exam, I don't seem to have that desired result, I have prayed countless times.

By my side is a chemical I got when I discovered I had 2f's. Education, they say is the best legacy. But in my case it isn't sure if it would be, I am a business oriented person, but no money to even establish myself, so that's not an option, please Nairalanders, I don't wish to Take my life, please is there anything you can suggest to me other than suicide and constant reading and prayers. I am 22years of age.

cry
God bless.

Please, indulge me and let me enjoy this observation.

your 100 level 2nd semester result was EFCC FC. i mean EFCC football club. grin grin grin

Man, i think you are working way too hard than necessary, it is now time to work smart.

1. Reduce the number of hours you spend reading by 25 -30%. Any day you sincerely dont feel like reading, except during tests and exam, take a time off.

2. Ensure you are not reading to fulfil righteousness or get props in the eyes of your fellow classmates /roommates.

3. Ensure you are in the clique of friends with high gpa, they will come in useful and handy.

4. When david wanted to kill goliath, he tapped in to his past successes by remembering his exploits of him killing bears as a shepherd boy, you called yourself a wonder boy, you still got it in you man !

5. You are obviously intelligent from your write up and responses on this thread, simulate your lecturers and observe their interest, ask questions from your immediate seniors studying the same course as to a particular lecturer.

6. LASTLY , BUT MOST IMPORTANT, GET A LOAD OF PAST QUESTIONS FOR YOUR COURSES, AND SOLVE THEM NEATLY IN A DESIGNATED NOTEBOOK FOR SOLVING PAST QUESTIONS. get those past questions at the beginning of the semester , and once a topic has been covered in class, check those past questions to see related questions to topics covered.

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by fredosan(m): 1:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
I think ur problem is beyond physical u need prayer a strong deliverance I wish u are in lagos
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nwogeh: 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2015
I 4got to add dt i will guide u from now hence forth on hw 2write accointing exams n pass dem.....im not a guru but im glad dt God's grace helped me Pass ICAN final exms in one sitting without attending tutorials....so i volunteer to mentor u from now hence forth. connect me so dt i can give u my no. But dis does not mean dt i dont ve my own problems ryt now, infact i hardly sleep dis days cos of personal challenges to d extent dt i wud ve gone 4d option u want 2go 4.....but i don pass dt level of killing mysf cos i don see things 4dis world....so lets meet ok
use LIBERATOR NWOGEH OGBONNA to find me
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Fireson: 1:16pm On Dec 11, 2015
Knowing your strength before choosing a major is very important. You doing what you can't do angry....
And that is the problem!
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Taiwo20(m): 1:17pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
I am opened to answer any question

At the rate you are going if you improve a bit...or not. You would most likely make a 2.2 which is okay IMO, cos even those with first class are not guaranteed of getting a job.

There's nothing worth dying for...if you commit suicide then the enemies have prevail but on the brighter side it would mean one less person to share our resources with...

I noticed that from the begining it was not so...that doesn't mean that there's something wrong....but you just need to study more,relax,worry less and be happy.

#Praymore
#believeinGod
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by justmenoni: 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
I think I totally agree with you and u and Op are not the only one who have experienced this before..and the reason is most times caused by the parent's.. Imagine someone who is good at arts but the parents wants him to study medicine cos according to them they haven't got a doctor in the family or their friend's son is also studying medicine..

So imagine if Op is a supposed genius in banking but the parents want him to be a doctor so after jss3 instead of him proceeding to commercial class they end up transferring him to science..then definitely Op will fail woefully.. So Op to me Ur problem might be cos u aint doing what's right for urself now...

quote author=gunpoint post=40759841]
You really want to die cos if nairalanders advise you finish, you will double the dose of that chemical.

On the flip side i think what happend to me happened to you. If you zoned out after JSS 3, then you got placed in the wrong area probably on the strength of you then result. You studied wrong in SS classes and are now studying something at undergraduate level you are very weak in. I know cos i spent 8years studying a five year course.
If you are bold about it, you can switch now. Or you can struggle like me and just finish the damn thing.
You 1st year results and mine are pretty similar but i still finished with a 2.2 and i eventually finished strongly and smashed at MSc level abroad. Don't drink that chemical lil bro, don't look at you unemployed siblings as a barometer. Tomorrow go always make more sense.
If someone told me this in 2001 when my CGPA was 1.5 i for no believe am, look at me now na grin[/quote]
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Osisie(m): 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
I am opened to answer any question
Simple, stop trying to improve.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Tellemall: 1:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

cry
God bless.

You need prayers. I once knew a girl who was, like you, the top of her class in her secondary school days. By the time she was in year 1 she couldn't even string together coherent sentences, let alone do simple fractions. It got to the point that people were mocking her. It turns out her step mother was envious of her. Her step mother hated that she was more brilliant than her own children. She discovered this after serious soul-searching prayers.

Also, another thing responsible is if you stepped on somebody's toes and now they are out for you. Might sound unbelievable, but it actually happens. Maybe somebody felt you bragged too much with your admission. Etc.

But all in all, what I'm emphasizing on is: pray and whatever you graduate with, accept it. Perhaps this trial is there to make the best out of you. Not all first class graduates get jobs . If you commit suicide now you'll grieve your parents and still go to hell with bad results. Why not wait and see what the future has in store for you, rather than focusing on what you can see?
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by ecotwins: 1:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
Wetin you dey wait for? The time wey the same thing do me, na SUICIDE wey I commit help me o. I remember the kind sweet suicide wey I commit... choi choi... the thing sweet me for belle no be small.
My brother or sister or anybody reading, just tell yourself the truth stop wasting your time on frivolous things like girls/boys, parties, over fellowships,cultism and concentrate on your books. try cramming if you have to... just avoid expo but do all things possible to excel. Define your life and configure your affairs according to your uniqueness. If you wan commit the suicide, invite me to come watch as you succeed in your exams..

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by lukelumiere: 1:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
Hello Friend, The only source of true success and prosperity is God. The more you commit yourself to Him, the more He opens your eyes to the secrets of success roundabout. You seem to be so emphatic on your inadequate efforts, mental capacities etc. You need to encourage yourself in the Lord, and always remember that "the Glory of the latter shall be greater than that of the former" and "better is the end of a thing than its beginnning thereof". You don't have to get discouraged, for its not a bad start. Honestly, my 100 level results was the worst i ever had as an undergraduate, but in the end i made a 2.1. Self-abasement, and pessimism would only sap your determination and enthusiasm to stay focus, drift you off your true course. With God all things are possible, suicide mission is demonic, and the only destination is everlasting torment in the lake of hell. No matter how down you are today, your next level of success is just a little effort away. You can be anything your mind can ever imagine because you were fashioned to have limitless command over your life and destiny. You have to commit yourself to a prayeful living, give in to adequate study of God's word ( Matthew 6:33 ) because God cannot be more committed to you than you are to Him, and He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. God Bless You.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by drnairalov: 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2015
I am not the type to reveal my challenges or struggle.. but yoo man I ve been through hell and back, cant divulge here...but I never 4 once thought of d chemical solution ...I say to my self I will make it against all odds, nd now I am on the road to success!!...undeafeated!!! figbt 4 ur self is all i can say
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Xtopher123(m): 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
Read This:
I Will Not Let An Exam Result Decide My Fate

Right now, There is a kid finishing parents' evening in a heated discussion with his mother
Saying, why does he have to study subjects he will never ever use in his life?
And she will look at him blanked eyed, stifle a sigh, think for a second and then lie
She'll say something along the lines of:
"You know to get a good job, you need a good degree and these subjects will help you get a degree, we never had this opportunity when I was younger".
And he will reply:
"But you were young a long time ago, weren't you mum?"
And she won't respond although what he implies makes perfect sense that societies needs would have changed since he was 16
But she will ignore him, grip his hand more sternly and drag him to the car
What she doesn't know is that she didn't ignore him just to shut him up
She didn't lie because they are just returning him from parents' evening
And an argument in the hallway would look bad on her resume
She won't lie because she had just spent the last one hour convincing a stern face teacher that she would ensure that her child studies more at home
No! She will lie simply, because she does not know any better herself
Although all her adult life, she has never used or applied
Pythagorean theorem, Pathetic fallacy, and does not know the value of "X"
She will rely society to tell her child who has one of the sharpest mind in the school, is hyperactive, unfocused, easily distracted and wayward

Students!
How many equations, subjects and dates did you memorize just before an exam never to use again?
How many "A" grades did you get, which were never asked for when applying for a job?
How many times have you remembered something 5 minutes just after the teacher said: "Stop writing"
Only to receive your results a month later to realize that you were only 1 mark short of the top grade?
Does that mean remembering 5 minutes earlier would've made you more qualified for a particular job?
Well, on an application form it would have
We all have different abilities, thought processes, experiences and genes
So why is a class full of individuals tested by the same means?
So that means Cherrelle thinks she's dumb, because she couldn't do a couple sums
And if this issue is not addressed properly, it then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy
Then every school has the audacity to have policy on equality
Huh, the irony!

Exams are society's methods of telling you what you're worth
But you can't let society tell you what you are
Cause this is the same society that tells you that abortion is wrong, but then looks down on teenage parents!
The same society that sells products to promote nature hair, looks and smooth complexion with the model on the box, half photoshopped, and has fake lashes and hair extensions
With pastors that preach charity, but own private jets
Imams that preach against greed, but are all fat
Parents that say they want "educated kids" but constantly marvel at how rich Richard Branson is
Governments, that preach peace, but endorse war, that say they believe so much in the importance of higher education and further learning
Then why increase tuition fees every single year?
I believed Miss Jefferson when she took me into the office, said that my exams would be imperative to my success
Because we were taught to always follow when Miss Jefferson led
Then I took Jefferson out of the equation and learned to think for myself
I realized, we were always taught to follow when misled
Huh, the irony!

Test us with tests, but the finals are never final
Because they never prepare us for the biggest test which is survival!
And what I suggest is fairly outlandish
So I don't expect everyone to understand this
Except for the kid that knows what it feels like to be worth no more than that D or that A that you get on results day
And the ones whose best stories were never good enough for your English teacher
Because apparently you missed out key literal techniques
Did not follow the class plan,
And the language was too "informal" for him to understand
But then he'd reference Hamlet and Macbeth
And you'd fight the urge to express your contempt by partially clenching your fist with only your medius finger left protruding in the middle of your hand
And asking if he was aware that Shakespeare was known as the innovator of slang
Or the kid at the back of the class who thinks:
"Why am I studying something that doesn't fuel my drive?"
But when confronted with a maths problem his eyes come alive

So this one is for my generation,
the ones who found what they were looking for on Google,
This one's for my "failures" and "dropouts", for my unemployed graduates, my shop assistants, cleaners and cashiers with bigger dreams,
My self-employed entrepreneurs, my world-changers and my dream-chasers!
Cause the purpose of "Why I hate school, but love education" was not to initiate a worldwide debate,
But to let them know that whether 72 or 88, 44 or 68,
We will not let exam results decide our fate

Peace. ✌

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by missjane: 1:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
@Op; if only you knew how much Jesus loves you, u won't bother urself about any other person thinks of you including your earthly parents. Of course you should honour your parents but you shouldn't live your life based on their acceptance. It's not wise because when you fall short of their expectation you would of course feel depressed which is already a disease to the bones. From your write up you seem like an intelligent person and would go far in life. Some exams are not a true test of intelligence anyway. About your school, you stil have time to make 2:1 sef if u are willing to try again. Believe that Jesus has already given you his wisdom. Always go through past questions at least 3-4 previous years to d most present ones. Make sure u submit n answer your assignments timely. There is absolutely no reason why ur grades won't pick up. Don't ever in life think about suicide no matter what. Devil only comes to steal kill n destroy. Look within you.. you wil find all u need. God bless u..:-)

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Chanzy1(m): 1:45pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

What you are going through is not new, neither is it a wonderful experience.
There is a clear line of distinction between intelligence, hard work and talent, most times the three is mixed up and in some cases with other elements too.
Personally am not in the school of thought that believes that exam scores can tell e what I am but we all do know how bad it feels when you do badly in your school exams.

Problems:
Not doing well in your exams can be caused by
1. Studying the wrong way, am not expert but when you meet an academic he would explain further that its not just by reading the words on the pages of a book that we learn but by targeted study.

2. Studying the wrong thing, this is quite different from the above, it could be that you just buy books and read on a topic without considering the coverage and outline that your school curriculum demands.

Having said those, now here are the more applicable reasons,
3. You are studying the wrong course, sometimes due to peer influence, advice from older folks and statistics consideration we go into studying our 'dream' courses without even remembering that we are dreaming.
4. Deep down this isn't what you want, look deep into yourself, not the economy, not the employable statistics, and realize why the hell are you studying that course.
5. Environment, I am assuming that you told us the full truth that you have attended your lectures and read your books and that you also wrote well in exams. If the above are true then , it can be due to two possibilities;
i. You didn't understand what you read and so wrote what your lecturer doesn't 'understand'
ii. Lecturer factor; There are variables that are minor on there own but when they work together lead to catastrophic failure among students and can't even be traced back directly to any of these individual variables.

Note: Everything I have written or yet to write are my opinion gathered from experience, observation and personal study, They are not authoritative on this subject and must not be regarded or treated as such. Same applies to the writer.

Advice

1. Find the root of the problem,'or what you believe it is'
Nobody here on nairaland is suffering what you are suffering, I might have gone through similar experience but telling you i know how you feel would be a deceptive sentiment. Therefore sit back trace your individual problems and search for a link between them, if there is no visible link, then note down each cause and then the search for a solution begins.
2. Learn what to blame yourself for and what not to.Every human who has a drive for success and independence tend to blame themselves for every single negative occurrence that they come across thereby leading to regrets and possible further mistakes.
Change what you can and don't let what you cant change you.
3.Talk to someone, I guess that what you are trying to do here probably because you would have a larger audience while maintaining your animosity, however that's the wrong choice, social media is one of the worst places to raise these issues especially when they affect you personally.
4. See alternatives; There is no problem that it's solution is death try swallowing ego and shame and see possibility of final failure in societal education. Be open to other avenues to become a better man than your environment has dictated.

I wish I had a sentence that would make all your problems go away, FORTUNATELY no one does, you would work through this yourself with the help of other people and when you come out better the other end of the dark tunnel you would have testimonies t tell and words of advice for other people such as am doing now and then you would appreciate the line of hard decisions that you would have to make in the coming moments in your life.

P.S Death by chemical isn't heroic now attention seeking as you would think.
Easiest way to die without pain is a cut wrist immersed in warm water but I don't avise that you do that.

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 11, 2015
What you should ask yourself is " Am I living for education or what?" If the reason why you are alive is because you want to make good grades, then I pity you. Better discover your purpose. What do you think education is? Is it worth your life. I see that you don't have value for yourself.

Make Jesus your friend, and believe me, your life will never remain the same. Tell him all your problems, and watch him do wonders for you. He's such a faithful friend. Please don't kill yourself. It's not worth it. Nothing is worth your life.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by missjane: 1:51pm On Dec 11, 2015
@Op; if only you knew how much Jesus loves you, u won't bother urself about what any other person thinks of you including your earthly parents. Of course you should honour your parents but you shouldn't live your life based on their acceptance. It's not wise because when you fall short of their expectation you would of course feel depressed which is already a disease to the bones. From your write up you seem like an intelligent person and would go far in life. Some exams are not a true test of intelligence anyway. About your school, you stil have time to make 2:1 sef if u are willing to try again. Believe that Jesus has already given you his wisdom. Always go through exam past questions at least 3-4 previous years to d most present ones. Make sure u submit your assignments timely. There is absolutely no reason why ur grades won't pick up. Don't ever in life think about suicide no matter what. Devil only comes to steal kill n destroy. Look within you.. you wil find all u need. God bless u..:-) lastly speak to your exam papers before you write them... they have d ability to hear you. Declare your A n reject every missing script or manipulation on it.

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Timbuktu14(m): 1:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

The course is so irrelevant, "philosophy".
I wish I was strong enough to do so many things.
Since the new session started, it is so hard to even concentrate, low self esteem is creeping in already, I am in a way 'introverted' also, I don't watch ball, I don't play ball, I don't do females, I don't listen to music, nothing I know is distracting me, but still.
At attimes I take example of people around me, that are jobless, try to console my self with it, but then, who knows tomorrow.
To get an 'A' in Phil is not easy. Your writing plus reasoning skills must be great to have achieved that! Maybe you need look elsewhere like the Arts? It may just be what you need. A 2.1 student from Religious Studies would be considered before a 3rd class student in Accounting even in the banking sector! Think wisely! I have bad grades too... Not because i am not not brilliant but, i was sick for close to a year that i thought i was going to be expelled from school. I still choose to finish with that and not drop out. So, find your path and go for it. My own lil advice my brother.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Babasunel(m): 2:06pm On Dec 11, 2015
[quote author=AmNotADullard post=40759768]Good day Nairalanders, the time I started writing this is 3:22am, whether am a popular NLder or not doesn't matter, but I would like to Conceal my identity. These would be a bit long, because I would want to explain all what is happening and has been happening to me concerning my education.

cry
God bless.

hand it over to God, remember winners don't quit n vise versa.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by faithee21(f): 2:06pm On Dec 11, 2015
My dear u need to commit ur life especially ur academics n Gods hand he ll make it better u need to talk to baba God dere s ntin he cant do absolutely NOTHING!
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by dfrost: 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2015
ChappyChase:

Am 22 years(turning 23 by February 2016) old,I spent 4 years in senior secondary school(two years each on both science and art), I wrote WAEC twice had C's on the first siting which was on science subject and B's on second sitting on Art subject.. I have written jamb thrice and I had 230(2013),247(2014),and 293(2015) aspiring for UNN and yet I haven't gotten admission...

One word for you: courageous. A Nigerian with this attitude is rare. Keep your head up and the sky will be your starting point. What discipline do you intend studying? I'm really humbled by your attitude.

@op think of the pain you will cause your loved ones and how your dad will be hurt by your decisions. Send me a pm with your contact details
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 11, 2015
School was not meant for everybody! If you aren't doing well in your academics, try vocational training. If you ever feel suicidal, just remember that somebodyelse has been down that road. Somebody out there actually envies you even in your lowest state of affairs.
AmNotADullard:

cry
God bless.

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by dfrost: 2:21pm On Dec 11, 2015
Nwogeh:
. When u finish, I will bring u into our firm, train u 4sometime with a moderate pay cos by then if i had not started my own firm, i would have solidified with my aunty. after d 1 or 2yrs training, u will be very fit 2move 2so many companies of ur choice. Just make sure u understand d course &forget ur grade. while in d firm, u will be paid monthly and u will start ur ICAN dt time. connect me on facebook &lets be friends.....welcome to a world of limitless opportunities.... so u ve a great future. connect me first let me expose u a litle dude.

I'm touched by your kind gestures. You almost brought me to tears. God bless you abundantly. I'll send you a pm
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 11, 2015
gunpoint:

Look young man, a degree is a degree is a degree.
50% of all graduates end up in banking anyways, and banks take anything, and i mean anything. Back when i was in the country, i worked with medical doctors and soil science graduates in these banks, all of us doing operations or marketing.
Don't stress yourself, if accounting is stressing you, change your dreams, what course unit did you make an A in for example? It will help us know your strengths

I agree with you sir. i am very good in computer, so when i got admission earlier this year some people were like;
you are studying computer science right? why didnt u go for computer related field? etc. but i always smile at them saying "that would be a waste of resources (to go and study what i already know)".

WHY DID I MAKE THIS DECISION;
1. am not good with maths
2. a first class in any field is better than 2nd class in other fields.
3. i noticed that when i talk, people get inspired (right from my sec. sch. days)
so i decided to go for Bsc. Peace studies and Conflict Resolution instead of computer science.
AFTER FIRST SEMESTER, my result was, A,A,A,B,A,A,A,A,A. I just finished my second semester and also optimistic about the outcome.

so @ AmNotADullard dont allow anything or anybody push you into what you cant do...i doesnt matter what you study all that matter is your grade, thats why you see someone that studies Agric get job in bank before those who studied Accounting. Am also your age-mate and am from S/E too but i stay in PH hustling to make a better life. infact am sponsoring myself just with N18,000 job but am happy because i know tomorrow will be brighter. so gear-up brother and make that life-changing decision today.

once again mr gunpoint, i appreciate you and i wish to have a mentor/friend like you. God bless

2 Likes

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Opengates(m): 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2015
Chanzy1:

P.S Death by chemical isn't heroic now attention seeking as you would think.
Easiest way to die without pain is a cut wrist immersed in warm water but I don't avise that you do that.

If you don't, why mentioned it at all
Haba!!! O un semi, o tun ngbami, ati see ndupe lowo eni toun seni ti o tun ngbani? Aiye yii ma le o!!!
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

My parents are pure christians, my dad a deacon, my mum a chorister, I myself was/is a strong member in my campus fellowship, I don't know the type of prayer I ought to offer again, at a point I started to think der was no God. But I got back up and became more prayerful, its sad but even if I read the bible and jot down, with constant revision, I would most likely forgt tht which I read the next week.
Have you thought about "Malnutrition", maybe your brain cells are not getting the right nutrients.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by smadalove(f): 2:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
I don't av much to say.,but d little I can say s u can either change ur course or check urself on how u answer questions.... U mite be Ds type of person Wen dey ask what is an animal... U mite start defining 4rm history... U nid to get close to d best student in ur class... N 100level s like d simplest... N u avnt done taxation yet n cost accting n financial management... I would say u shld sit down write out questions n let another of your course mate view wat u wrote.... Just get close to d guru in ur class n u find urself speeding
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by switdil(f): 2:39pm On Dec 11, 2015
I just love to be on nairaland especially when it comes to things like this,
u guys can be so encouraging, this place is like home. I appreciate u all.

As for Op
just chill
Everything is gonna be alright
this is just part of your story that will encourage others later on (in my mom's voice)
Be strong, u can do it.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Rick9(m): 2:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
u need Jesus
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by dhabeautyjas(f): 2:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

one of the problems we have mostly in this part of the world is associating everything to spiritual.
in life, we are suppose to try to solve things physically first, if it fails then add spirituality.

OP, let me ask you some questions.
1. Do you think too much?
2. Have you tried to identify when you assimilate most?
3. do you have any strength (as in.. your best subject)?

my opinions are from experience as a teacher.

Let me give u some scenarios.
a. i had a colleague then in science class, her grade were bad and she moved to art and became the best student in her class till we graduated.

b. had a student once that all teachers had lost hope on, i tried to get close to her and realised she thinks alot cos of family problems and it was affecting her psycologically, to God be the glory, i was able to work on her psyche and she improved

Even me i wanted to become a "doctor" like every science student, and i was so good and mathematics and horible at biology. it took God and my parents intervention and am now in the right field and i graduated with good grades. i can assure you if i had dabbled into medicine, i will surely be a medical wounded student.

so, first i need to know what course you are studying and how good you are in it,
also it is not everybody that has reading ability, i dont read much, my strength is in listening and i dont miss lectures.

if you are putting too much pressure on your self, am afraid, you may not get it right.

Finally " Everybody is great but most people do not know where their strength lies"

Please answer the Qs then i will know what else to say
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Cutesthunk(m): 2:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

cry
God bless.

my dear, shiloh programme is going on, ministering Dr David Oyedepo, just find a vewing cente and attend today's own by 7 pm tonight, that devil wil be crushed!!! Pls dnt commit suicide, God has a great future for u, u will have a testimony! Ppl wit similar issues have bn delivered and are sucrrding today..... Jesus is the key to break the yokes,,,,, its nt. A physical thing.... God boess you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top 15 Small Businesses Any Student Can Do Right Now / Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) / First Yorùbá Textbook Unveiled In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.