Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice (28234 Views)

How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University / I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed / See How Facebook Drastically Improved My Son's Grades In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 11, 2015
You hv just finished 100level so ur case is redeemable; 200L and 300L hv will determine ur final grade;
I"ll suggest the following solution methods;

I. First, before the end of the year or early next year, bf going bck to school endeavour to attend MFM's weeklong deliverance, prefferably at the headquaters. Though my case was nt this bad, but my grades were nosediving, even in courses I knw I was a master. Yr1 1st semester 3.95 , 2nd semester 3.70. Yr2 1st semester 3.33 . Then I joined MFM, And started praying bullet prayers; Yr2. 2nd semester 3.80. After my 200L I went for deliverance. Thereafter, 3rd , 4th and 5th year were 4.0s. My dear God is faithful and he knws those who trust him. Wht u need is academic favour.

II. Second, attend lectures regularly. come early if the lecture room is always overcrowded . If ur not good in taking down note look for ur course mates endowed with secretarial skills borrow n photocopy.

III. And again, try and find out the text ur. Lecturer uses , especially if u r in a fed uni. Form a study clique. in university information is vital.

If u hv love or interest in any other subject apart from accounting or in a special area of accounting, make out time every week, visiting the library n study, tht will form a good alternative for u anytime. I read engineering, bt hv interest in algorithms , because of this from my year two I started studying discrete mathematics (trees, combinatorics, graph. Theory, computational complexities) now it's only a good computer science graduate tht can challenge on tht. I went further to study matlab n C++ n I also program spreadsheet(EXCEL). Now I can comfortably go for a career in analytics , while still honing my skills in datasc.

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by astute07(f): 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
Good day Nairalanders, the time I started writing this is 3:22am, whether am a popular NLder or not doesn't matter, but I would like to Conceal my identity. These would be a bit long, because I would want to explain all what is happening and has been happening to me concerning my education.

I am from the eastern part of Nigeria, and school somewhere in the south, part of the top 10 universities in Nigeria.
Back in my, Primary and Junior secondary school, I was extremely brilliant, always part of first 3, a lot of times I was 1st in class and best overall. Even my junior waec, I was so happy, people were happy for me.

The problem started in my secondary school, I noticed I started dropping, my 2nd term in SS1, I was 21/23 in class, same school, same class mates.
I thought maybe I had started playing to much, so I stopped all what I figured out could be the problem, yet there was no solution, my parents got me private teachers for my core subjects. Once they are with me, I would understand what they teach me, when they leave, I don't slack, I continue reading and reading, when exam comes, it would seem like I wasn't the one who read. A day before the exam, it would be fresh in my head and when I even write the exam, my mind would be like "you have killed it"
My parents would ask how it was, my reply would be: "yes, it was perfect, expecting the perfect result".

When I see my result, I would as usual fail virtually everything.
Still, I managed to go/forge ahead, I was able to pass my WASSCE in one sitting, how I did that I don't know, not that I passed outstandingly, I only had 'credit' in all the subject I was expect to have grade 'C'.

Then the hustle for Jamb came, let it be known that I wrote jamb 5 times, and the 5th time was when I got admitted to my school of choice.

Currently in my 200level, we resumed a new session about 2months ago. Now to what caused dis write up.

My first semester of 100level result: C, F, A, D, D.

A terrible result for someone in 100level, yes, I know. I felt too relaxed first semester, played a lot.
I determined that 2nd semester would be better, not that I was expecting all A's but I didn't want any F.
So my whole 2nd semester was reading all through, I read to the extent that I started feeling sure I should have A's in at least 3 out of 6 courses.

But when the result came in, it was worse than my first semester without me playing or getting distracted,
My 2nd semester of 100level result: C, F, C, E, C,F

And now 200level has kicked off, but something is happening to me.

I don't think I can survive this anymore,
My parents don't have money, my dad is struggling to send us to school.
None of my siblings work,
I have been contemplating different means of ending my life,
I move about with shame, I don't sleep anymore, I can't get my head straight, I would stay awake all night crying and praying for a change in my academic life.

I have done all what I think I can humanly do, hence why the thought of taking my life,
I know I can't create a life, but of what use is one that doesn't seem to make people happy?
But then, I decided to come on here, to ask if there is something else in reading I am not doing apart from, reading.... I have applied all the reading techniques applicable, jot while reading, revise, ask myself questions, and all. But still after exam, I don't seem to have that desired result, I have prayed countless times.

By my side is a chemical I got when I discovered I had 2f's. Education, they say is the best legacy. But in my case it isn't sure if it would be, I am a business oriented person, but no money to even establish myself, so that's not an option, please Nairalanders, I don't wish to Take my life, please is there anything you can suggest to me other than suicide and constant reading and prayers. I am 22years of age.

cry
God bless.

U b idiot.Y ask for permission na;cos na u get ur breathe bah.foolish child; wud u b d first or last.war happen to trying after every fall.obviously u not gud academically; y not try vocational.till u brain rested cos u v a strong diversion.hope say u remember ur patents & wat ur actions wud do dem
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by otiigba1(m): 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
Hurry up and do it
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by gunpoint(m): 7:51pm On Dec 11, 2015
reminiscing:

Life indeed is full of misery.Someone at gunpoint is advising someone at suicide point grin

Life indeed is full of misery.Someone at gunpoint is advising someone at suicide point
grin grin grin
I am a part time bully on the joke section. And you are a hater. About your soil science degree, make surr your grades are top top oh.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by gunpoint(m): 7:52pm On Dec 11, 2015
mommysgirl:

Gunpoint grin
The name confuse you too bah?
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Topstarr: 8:05pm On Dec 11, 2015
menix:
OP u re a liar sha..
Wrote jamb 5 times nd now in 200 level nd u re still 22yrs..
Nwanne stop this bus make I come down..
If he started writing 2010, gets admitted 2014? mind you, its a new session.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Topstarr: 8:05pm On Dec 11, 2015
God is ever faithful
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Aroniyo200(m): 8:15pm On Dec 11, 2015
Please, don't it. If you do it, you do it out of ignorance. Call me please on this number-08064415185. Thanks and God bless you for speaking out.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by therapistmrs: 8:20pm On Dec 11, 2015
Hello beautiful heart.please don't commit[i][/i] suicide it's not the solution. What you need is to realise is you are destined for greatness and all you need is to look within to discover the real you.secondly you need to confide in someone who really cares and can counsel you.all the best.

therapistmrs..com
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 11, 2015
Malakh:
go ahead and do it,why r u telling us, like what's in a degree, you are so shallow that your life depends on it, stupid fool

Why the insult? It's not compulsory to comment if you don't have any positive advice to give.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by mommysgirl(f): 8:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
gunpoint:

The name confuse you too bah?
Yes ooo
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by mohemos: 9:33pm On Dec 11, 2015
Don't do what you will regret in Hell, Killing yourself is almost the same as killing your entire Lovely family.

Now to the solution, Be aware that I graduated with a 1st class, but am not as good as many people think I am or was. I do use a trick I termed OIS whenever I find myself in a strange gathering or environment.

OIS TRICK:
1. Study the environment critically.

2. Fish out the good and humble OR average person in that environment. (Never go for the best because of their ego but if you sense the best is humble, make him/her your first choice ).

3. Do your homework (study very hard ) in one area you are very good at (in your case 'Philosophy' ) and make sure you can answer any question or teach others on that area you've chosen.

4. Make them (The selected people at most 2) your friends.

5. Teach them what you know better than them and make sure you create room for argument in the course of your teaching or discussion.

6. If you yield a success in rule 5. Ask them any help concerning your academy or anything concerning your field, they will zealous go extra miles to teach you.

7. Create an atmosphere for group discussion after you're done reading. Any reading you do without discussing it with people has a high tendency to vanish when you need it the most.

8. Start from rule 1 to 8 if your study at rule one leads you to wrong hands.

NB: As a student make sure you read fairly before you go for any lecture, answer questions, ask questions and argue with your mates.
Exam period is not the time to know what you've been taught but to revise what you already know.

You can thank me later.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by dagenius6992(m): 9:40pm On Dec 11, 2015
use gamaline 20 or go stay in front of dangote trailer!
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Malakh: 10:47pm On Dec 11, 2015
Annybens1993:

Why the insult? It's not compulsory to comment if you don't have any positive advice to give.
waka jor sad
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by vale20: 1:47am On Dec 12, 2015
See your pastor
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by MRKELS1983(m): 2:42am On Dec 12, 2015
Ask around if ur case is d worst if it's d worst den u cn go ahead nd kill urself buh if it's not d worst den don't bother becuz d person wiv d worst result hasn't killed himself so y u? Jes kip try harder
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by tohmmey(m): 9:14am On Dec 12, 2015
since, you never die?
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 12, 2015
gunpoint:

grin grin grin
I am a part time bully on the joke section. And you are a hater. About your soil science degree, make surr your grades are top top oh.

I don't like gunpoint but I will take ya advice grin
gunpoint:

grin grin grin

I don't like gunpoint but I will take ya advice
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by knxpin(m): 4:30am On Dec 13, 2015
AmNotADullard:

I have prayed, though I know prayer can never be enough, just like how reading can never be enough, but sir... I have prayed a lot. Fast? everyday is like am fasting.
Partially, they are aware(told them my problem, when I was still writing Jamb)... But my 100level first semster resort, I had to lie a bit, my 2nd semester, I don't want to lie again, I don't want my dad to hate me, I don't want to cause any sickness in him.

Young man,you got the same experience that others went through in life, l particularly was in the same predicament you are in,just like you said ,I was one of the best in my secondary school days got into one of the best Engineering school back in the days 1994 precisely
The same year I came out of high school ,My grades was worst than yours. I was really wandering what my problems was academically.You know once inability to identify his problems is the greatest problems. I find out that I've got a wrong perception of university life.I thought it was a playing ground where you can do whatever and get away with it since nobody monitors you and that I've got a poor money management skills.
I worked on all these, changed my life style, dropped all the negative friends and start having discussions with the responsible people in my class. Quit going to Aja nwa chukwu,to look for babe's and that really works for me.
I live in United States doing good with my degrees here.
Do you know I was once like you? Disoriented and suicidal.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by praises16: 3:36pm On Dec 13, 2015
Bros,
pls forget about suicide. I've been through quite a couple of things myself and many times I thought of ending it all. But that is taking the escapist route. Since you said you are a Christian, 90% of your challenges have been solved. Please note the following:
1. Your challenges are not peculiar to you. Several people in this country and in the world have the similar problems...I call them challenges.
2. While some will go down with it, some will rise above it and make a success of their lives. This is your own journey and you can choose to sit down crying about how life is unfair to you or you can stand up and make up you mind to win.
3. Confess God's word to yourself about excellence, prosperity, increase and more...you can get books on these.
4. Get and read the stories of others who had similar challenges like you. Read how terrible their cases were and learn from their determination. You can google the story of Lester Brown, Abraham Lincoln, and some great men of God and even societal leaders. Many of the great people we know today went through hell to rise.
5. I will like to end here that you must promise yourself one thing, never, ever to give up on yourself or on God, no matter what happens, and promise never to quit.

A special note:
I went to university without expecting any allowances from home and I spent four years with minimal help from home. I worked all through my undergraduate days. I was a business man. Please try do something, no matter how small.
Finally, it's a smart thing you cried out for help and didn't die in silence. It's not so bad as it looks.
Cheers.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by macleo99: 9:27am On Dec 14, 2015
life changes, it goes up and down...dont look for hope its a beggar, have faith..hope walks through the fire but faith leaps over it....failure may last for a while but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place, if u quit though it would last forever, so what your family is down atm look for a why, a reason to live and take them to a better place....you create ur own destiny...dont make the grave any more richer than it already is...you've got potentials,dreams, talents...now read this and show the world what youre made of.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Chanzy1(m): 10:48am On Dec 14, 2015
Opengates:

Haba!!! O un semi, o tun ngbami, ati see ndupe lowo eni toun seni ti o tun ngbani? Aiye yii ma le o!!!

I have no idea what all that means
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:25am On Dec 19, 2015
Confessng:
Hello , how are you faring ?

Hello sir, Goodmorning.
Thanks for the check up.
I have just been down, some more issues keep coming up.
In all, I am trying to live. I didnt even know it hit frontpage.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:35am On Dec 19, 2015
Fynestboi:

What's your course? I believe your problem started with the department you picked in your secondary school....

In Department Of Accounting.
Yes, I stated earlier, I had passion or rather Dream to study accounting, even though, my results in commercial class was not good enough.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:38am On Dec 19, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Since you know this then forge on! Pick something that will motivate you and keep moving forward. Do you want to see your dad disappointed face always? Do you want all the hundreds of thousands spent in sending you to school go down the drain? And you said your parents aren't really financially buoyant now, That's all the more reason to pick yourself up and keep moving forward. Unless you have a plan, Or a passion for something else. You know, School isn't always the route to success. If you really want to do something else explain it to your dad. I hope your dad is understanding and not the "my-son-must-go-to-school" type of dad.

yes, he is that type of dad,
and thats what scares me.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:39am On Dec 19, 2015
400billionman:
y

You said you are business oriented but business is not an option because there is no capital.

Now, is suicide an option ? How can you say you are praying to God and at thesame same time contemplating to end your life ? Which means you dont read your BIBLE and you actually do not know God..

You need to approach a man of God to guide you. From your story, your issue is beyond natural. You need a SPIRITUAL solution..

But i believe that if you seek God in spirit and truth, he will answer you. Every human being you see in this life has a CHALLENGE. But what differs from one person to another is our APPROACH to our challenges.

What CHURCH you attend will help determine the type of pastor who will put you through. For me i do not believe in backwardness. If you were my brother, this issue nah MOI MOI. Demons dey hear word.

in school i attend MFM, but not much of a devoted member, but i know how to give praise to God.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:40am On Dec 19, 2015
TechRez:

Send a message to me, I will offer you free consultancy

would follow you now sir.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:43am On Dec 19, 2015
Sunbellar:

Send me PM and I will give you the final solution. I had a worse case senario but I subsequently made 2:1 and gainfully employed

hello sir, i would follow you right away sir.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:47am On Dec 19, 2015
SkinnyDude:
what are those that are hard to you? am in the same school with you, school of financial studies... am studying banking and finance... am not good in account, bus. maths and bus. statistics.. but i dont fail them.. secret: i do anything i can, to get a nice mark in assignment and quiz.. even if it requires cheating.... then when it comes to exam, i just try my best, and find someone who knows those courses and stay with him or her...

cost accounting is terrible bro, i have tried everything about it. In my school, assignment is not really given. and we have test just once in a semester. can i follow you?
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:52am On Dec 19, 2015
ChappyChase:

Am 22 years(turning 23 by February 2016) old,I spent 4 years in senior secondary school(two years each on both science and art), I wrote WAEC twice had C's on the first siting which was on science subject and B's on second sitting on Art subject.. I have written jamb thrice and I had 230(2013),247(2014),and 293(2015) aspiring for UNN and yet I haven't gotten admission.... Here you are at 22 and you're in 200level, So bro,between you and me who need help? Guy you need no ones advice except yours...

hmm, bro... can i follow you?
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:54am On Dec 19, 2015
EFEJU:
Bro all will be well with U IJN but let me ask do u have a good hand writing? Is legible enough? it may to u but can ur friends read it easily without straining their eyes reason y failure Occurs is sometimes due to bad hand writing most lecturers donnt like stressing themself when they are marking scripts and they come accross bad writing scripts they get fed up and give low scores to them check ur handwriting bro

I have a fair handwriting, though improving on it, but for now, most of my exams are computer based.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by AmNotADullard: 9:59am On Dec 19, 2015
Tellemall:

You need prayers. I once knew a girl who was, like you, the top of her class in her secondary school days. By the time she was in year 1 she couldn't even string together coherent sentences, let alone do simple fractions. It got to the point that people were mocking her. It turns out her step mother was envious of her. Her step mother hated that she was more brilliant than her own children. She discovered this after serious soul-searching prayers.

Also, another thing responsible is if you stepped on somebody's toes and now they are out for you. Might sound unbelievable, but it actually happens. Maybe somebody felt you bragged too much with your admission. Etc.

But all in all, what I'm emphasizing on is: pray and whatever you graduate with, accept it. Perhaps this trial is there to make the best out of you. Not all first class graduates get jobs . If you commit suicide now you'll grieve your parents and still go to hell with bad results. Why not wait and see what the future has in store for you, rather than focusing on what you can see?

About bragging of me being admitted, I spent 4+ years at home, I don't think I would be bold enough to brag about it.
About me stepping on someone's toe, I have thought deep about that, but nothing.
Thanks A lot sir.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Top 15 Small Businesses Any Student Can Do Right Now / Nina Uziogwe Admitted Into 7 Ivy League Universities (photo) / First Yorùbá Textbook Unveiled In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.