Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,890 members, 7,817,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Meet The Founder Of Vanguard Newspaper,80-yr Old Chief Sam Amuka Pemu(photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The Founder Of Vanguard Newspaper,80-yr Old Chief Sam Amuka Pemu(photos) (4375 Views)

Ipob: Mass Boycott Of Vanguard Newspaper Now Happening In The East / Gunmen Invaded The Residence Of Sam Amuka, Publisher Of Vanguard Newspaper, / Buhari Pays Tribute To Sam Amuka-pemu, Vanguard Chairman, As He Turns 80 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Founder Of Vanguard Newspaper,80-yr Old Chief Sam Amuka Pemu(photos) by sixtuschimere: 5:47pm On Dec 07, 2015
Meet the founder of Vanguard Newspaper,Chief Sam Amuka Pemu.(born June 13, 1935).Chief Sam,a Nigerian Journalist and Columnist was born in Sapele, a city in Delta Statd,southern Nigeria into the family of the late Pa. Amuka-Pemu and Madam Teshoma Amuka-Pemu, who died on May, 2014.
He also co-founded The Punch,most widely read newspaper in Nigeria.

Journalism career:

He was formerly a Daily Times Nigeria's editor and the first editor of the Sunday Punch before he established The Punch with his friend, the late,Olu Aboderin in 1971.He later established Vanguard Newspaperin 1983 with three other Nigerian Columnist.Sam Amuka was described as “Gentleman of the Press” by President Muhammadu Buhari on his 80th years birthday.He was described as an icon and a leading light in Nigerian journalism by Nduka Obaigbena,President of the Newspaper Proprietors' Association of Nigeria.Sam Amuka is the oldest practicing media professional in Nigeria today who had been cited by peers. A book titled, From 1939 to the vanguard of modern journalism written by Kola Muslim Animasaun who also trained under him acknowledged his immense contributions to Journalism in Nigeria.

Controversy:

In December 2008 the US-based Pointblanknews.com published a story that alleged the wife of the publisher of Vanguard Newspapers, was involved in a ritual killing. The Vanguard took the reporter to court, claiming he was attempting extortion. In December 2009, a Niger Delta peace activist commended Vanguard Newspapers for its reporting on the government's intentions, which he said helped persuade the militants to accept amnesty.

Re: Meet The Founder Of Vanguard Newspaper,80-yr Old Chief Sam Amuka Pemu(photos) by NgeneUkwenu(f): 5:54pm On Dec 07, 2015
Sorry, I don't meet owners of Useless Newspapers. Next please.
Re: Meet The Founder Of Vanguard Newspaper,80-yr Old Chief Sam Amuka Pemu(photos) by Tolexander: 6:01pm On Dec 07, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
Sorry, I don't meet owners of Useless Newspapers. Next please.
so far the newspaper doesn't always report what you often feel like reading hasn't rendered it useless.
Re: Meet The Founder Of Vanguard Newspaper,80-yr Old Chief Sam Amuka Pemu(photos) by kennydee05(m): 6:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
My first comment in politics thread since 3-4 months ago.

Nairalanders, celebrate me on my return from ban even though I didn't deserve the ban.

(1) (Reply)

Donald Trump Calls Nnamdi Kanu On Phone AUDIO / Some Things Nnamdi Kanu Said Yesterday In His Live Broadcast / Tinubu's APC Presidential Ticket In Jeopardy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.