Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? (1896 Views)

18 Qualities The Person You're Going To Marry Should Have / 5 Key Signs The Person You're Dating Is Not Your Future Spouse / Will You Marry The Person You're Currently Dating Now(yes/no)reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by saasala(m): 9:52am On Dec 09, 2015
Found this informative piece while googling for answers on the above subject and thought to share it with you guys.

Genotype definition

simply refers to hemoglobin gene constituents. Genes are always in pairs and overall expression depends whether dominant, recessive or X-linked. So there is no problem when one of the genes is abnormal e.g. AS, AC. This is called a carrier state (sickle cell trait). Only when the two are abnormal then there is a great problem.

The genotypes in humans are AA, AS, AC, SS.

I hadn't heard of the genotype AC until I was researching for this article and found Dr. Ademola Peter's article on the subject of genotypes and blood groups. He's also the one I quoted above and throughout this article. Unfortunately is website is currently not accessible so I can't provide link to the actual article.

Anyway, I guess AC is not common in genotypes or I've simply not heard about it. But AS and AC are both abnormal take note.

And the great problem referred to above that we're trying to avoid with genotype matchmaking for intending couples is the Sickle cell disease.

Sickle cell disease (a recessive disorder) is a very serious medical condition with high prevalence rate in sub Saharan Africa. Intending couples must make sure to know their genotypes and be sure it's compatible for marriage before going ahead to get married.

So who can you marry and who shouldn't you marry based on Genotype compatibility?

Someone with the genotype AA can marry across. That is there's no risk of having a sicklier for a child even when he or she marries an SS. But AA marrying an SS can only result in AS children. There's no hope of having a child with the genotype AA. But there's no danger either.

Someone with the genotype AS should only marry someone with the genotype AA because if AS marries AS there's one out of 4 chances (AS, AS, AA and SS) that they will have a child with the sickle cell disease. Same applies when AC is combined. AC and AS combine will produce AA, AS, AC, SC, the sickle cell disease will be SC. Remember what the quote above from Dr. Peter said, it's only when two abnormal marry that there is a great problem.

Of course there are many cases where two abnormal was combined that is an AS and AS or AC and AC or AC and AS couples and had up to five or six children without a single sicklier among them. But why risk it? What if you're not so lucky? Can you forgive yourself when you end up having a child with the sickle cell disease and put the child through the agony the disease brings when you could have easily avoided it?

Compatible genotypes for marriage are:

AA marries an AA. That's the best compatible. That way you save your future children from having to worry about genotype compatibility in future.

AA marries an AS. You'll end up with kids with AA and AS which is good. But sometimes if you're not lucky all the kids will be AS. Like my elder sister who is AA and married an AS and was expecting to have kids with genotype mostly AA. But the last I heard two out of her 3 kids are AS; I'm not sure what the genotype of her third child is. Like I've said there's no problem having kids with AS except if eventually the kids marry people with the genotype AS.

AS and AS should not marry.

AS and SS shouldn't think of marrying.

And definitely SS and SS must not marry since there's absolutely no chance of escaping having a child with the sickle cell disease.

Source: www.nigerianweddingsguide.com/genetic-compatibility.html
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Cholls(m): 9:54am On Dec 09, 2015
My brother what can i say?.
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by adedayourt(m): 9:57am On Dec 09, 2015
dunno my genotype yet undecided
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by obiorathesubtle: 9:59am On Dec 09, 2015
I'm AD, she's BC.. We'll be fine.
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Aremu01(m): 10:01am On Dec 09, 2015
I guess u have not heard about CC
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by CountDracula(m): 10:01am On Dec 09, 2015
Nobody thinks of all dis till like 2weeks to d wedding
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 09, 2015
obiorathesubtle:
I'm AD, she's BC.. We'll be fine.
grin You'll be fine my brother!
Someone stressed about the importance of genotype saying 'immediately you ask for his/her name, ask for his/her genotype'.
I understand.
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by YorubaWoman: 10:09am On Dec 09, 2015
AA

B+

Dangsmiley

1 Like

Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by obiorathesubtle: 10:11am On Dec 09, 2015
EverLily:
grin You'll be fine my brother!
Someone stressed about the importance of genotype saying 'immediately you ask for his/her name, ask for his/her genotype'.
I understand.
hehe

grin you know it sounds weird, but there's a little sense in it.
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 09, 2015
obiorathesubtle:
hehe

grin you know it sounds weird, but there's a little sense in it.
You may never know the relationship that could lead to marriage. I get her point.
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 09, 2015
People with the AS genotype are immune to malaria.! Fun fact of the day
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Pucaxo(m): 10:53am On Dec 09, 2015
A.A that's why malaria has always been my buddy grin
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Dannidom(m): 11:53am On Dec 09, 2015
buh my papa and mama no know their own na and still born fine healthy man like me. so what are you saying?
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by egbaguy: 12:21pm On Dec 09, 2015
Dnt be an ignorant fool @dannidom
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 09, 2015
I'm AA and O- blood group
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
Dis were d mistakes our fore -fathers did. den dey get birth to a child dat dies early age and den claim d child na "ogbanje" or "emere" and starts using different concoction on d child unknowingly to them some children survive it but some do not survive.
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2015
Yes oo. its neva too early to ask. d good news is that ones any of d two persons intending to go into a relationship is AA den no point asking. as for me i dont see any point asking about genotype cos am AA. blood group B+

yipeee........
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by opeyemisteph: 3:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
Lalasticlala, na this kind topic suppose dey nod for front page o
Re: Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? by Dannidom(m): 9:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
egbaguy:
Dnt be an ignorant fool @dannidom
I am a fool buh am not ignorant so what are you saying

(1) (Reply)

Why 3pm Is The Best Time For Making Love / For Guys Dat Dont Know How To Care For Their Girlfrnd... / Seven Steps To Approach A Lady In Public And Win Her Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.