Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam (11300 Views)

Royal Rumble! Paga Vs. Voguepay. Vs Gtpay. Vs Interswitch. Vs Zenith Global Pay / Powerful Webmaster Needed For Interswitch Intergrated Website / Interswitch /etransact And Vpay Cards For N15,000 Set Up ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Libra38: 9:33am On Jun 04, 2009
I got the mails several times, first I disregard it but it keeps coming so I was convince it could be geniune and decided to fill the form online.

Guest what?' tanx to my Norton Anti-Virus who block it immediately.

Please guys! shine ur eyes well well oooooooo!!!
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by gbengaijot(m): 9:38am On Jun 04, 2009
i just checked the whois record for this particular scam website and came out with the following;

Whois Record

Registration Service Provided By: United Online, Inc.

Domain name: equitorialtrustbank.com

Registrant Contact:
Walcom Computer Consultants
Adewale Onafuwa ()

Fax:
5, Igbore Street, Onike
Yaba, 999
NG

Administrative Contact:
Walcom - Computer Consultants
Adewale Onafuwa ()
+1.2074731353
Fax:
8 Weymouth close
Beckton, E66ZF
GB

Technical Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar ()
+1.9027492701
Fax: +1.9027495429
575 8th Avenue
11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US

Name Servers:
ns19a.nameservers.net
ns19b.nameservers.net

Creation date: 10 Jun 2003 00:40:22
Expiration date: 10 Jun 2010 00:40:00
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by aeso(m): 10:01am On Jun 04, 2009
bigboyslim:

e-mail phishing 101.

Never open any link that deals with electronic cash transaction from your mail box.

and I wonder why interswitch doesnt have an SSL digital certificate to verify the authenticity of their site.

Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by lucillia90: 10:09am On Jun 04, 2009
what can i even say? i got thesame email and it came 4 rm interswitch website live For the past 4 months it has been telling me to update my info if not my card wouldn't work on atm and i dunno i just refused to update my info and for sum reasons the card still works, dat was hw i sensed foul play.one funny thing is dat it came from interswitch website and email, where else could it cme from?
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by aeso(m): 10:21am On Jun 04, 2009
As a security expert, here are a few tips people should always observe:
1. No responsible financial institution will ever request you update your records over the Internet, knowing the risks involved. If in doubt contact the bank first by phone or visit a branch.
2. Always ensure the website URL begins with https (NOT http as shown in the image) when entering confidential information. HTTPS means a secure form of HTTP.
3. Always watch out for a padlock [/b]or [b]key [/b]sign on the browser (location varies between browsers).
4. Always use the latest version of your web browser (this will have the full certificate hierarchy). Ideally no one should be using present day any browser below Firefox 3, IE 7 or Opera 9.
4. Click on the padlock or key to verify the authenticity of the site if in doubt. This will reveal the site's certificate and the issuer. If the site uses a self-issued or expired certificate, the browsers listed above will easily detect and warn the user. In fact IE7 or IE8 will not allow you access to the fraudulent page.

Having said these, it is possible to hack into legitimate sites and create links that redirect to fraudulent sites. Yes, and it can be quite easy if the website developers/administrators do not follow security guidelines when designing these sites. This can be a form of [b]cross-site scripting

A plain antivirus program does not protect from phishing. However most packages come as a bundle nowadays, with antivirus, firewall, antispam and antiphishing e.g. Norton 360. They will easily spot phishing attacks like this example but not more advanced ones.

Any questions feel free to ask!
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by exago(m): 10:26am On Jun 04, 2009
@gbengaijot

Please how do I check for the Whois Record of a website, thanks.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Toaks: 10:28am On Jun 04, 2009
Am angry and may be not sure if it is that Interswitch doesn't know what to do to permanently restrict these scams from putting up things such as this. Its really damaging the fact that banks are sincerely trying to walk the IT path, which is a good development but with the scams at work, people wouldn't trust the result if they actually try using full IT system access. Pls good, righteous and indigenous Nigerians that are really good at these IT stuff shld come together in mind to find a lasting solution to this hindrance. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Toaks: 10:33am On Jun 04, 2009
angry angry angry angry angry angry Am angry and may be not sure if it is that Interswitch doesn't know what to do to permanently restrict these scams from putting up things such as this. Its really damaging the fact that banks are sincerely trying to walk the IT path, which is a good development but with the scams at work, people wouldn't trust the result if they actually try using full IT system access. Pls good, righteous and indigenous Nigerians that are really good at these IT stuff shld come together in mind to find a lasting solution to this hindrance.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by aeso(m): 10:39am On Jun 04, 2009
Toaks:

angry angry angry angry angry angry Am angry and may be not sure if it is that Interswitch doesn't know what to do to permanently restrict these scams from putting up things such as this. Its really damaging the fact that banks are sincerely trying to walk the IT path, which is a good development but with the scams at work, people wouldn't trust the result if they actually try using full IT system access. Pls good, righteous and indigenous Nigerians that are really good at these IT stuff shld come together in mind to find a lasting solution to this hindrance.

Not much Interswitch can do, besides advising people on safe practices, like I listed in my earlier post. The real Interswitch site would have features to help identify it, for instance, only the legit interswitch site can begin with https and have a padlock sign, except they were careless to let a crook steal their server certificate!
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by v3: 10:49am On Jun 04, 2009
NOW. . .Let's de-mystify this scamming of a thingy. . . cool cool

There's possible 3-4 things a scammer'll need to perpetrate this sorta"classy" crime
1- A c99shell, ftp server (used to upload the scampages)
2- The scampage (fake website), wif a PHP script (containing the scammer's email address) where all entries will be delivered too. . .
3- A good PHP mailer, SMTP server (used with AMS software) or other Mass Mailing softwares
Last but the "BEST". . . Good leads (emails)

Once he/she has all of these. . it's easy to get some "mugus" who'd just "walk the plank" witout thinking hard. .

I've gotten these emails too. . .The ONLY thing your Bank will prolly send to you are your Bank Statements (IF you opted to receive them via email and that comes in either .PDF or .XLS file formats

Be careful and all the best
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by gbengaijot(m): 10:59am On Jun 04, 2009
exago:

@gbengaijot

simply go to www.whois.sc and type the website address into the address bar.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by v3: 10:59am On Jun 04, 2009

There's possible 3-4 things a scammer'll need to perpetrate this sorta"classy" crime
2- The scampage (fake website), wif a PHP script (containing the scammer's email address) where all entries will be delivered too. . .
3- A good PHP mailer, SMTP server (used with AMS software) or other Mass Mailing softwares

Once he/she has all of these. . it's easy to get some "mugus" who'd just "walk the plank" witout thinking hard. .

I've gotten these emails too. . .The ONLY thing your Bank will prolly send to you are your Bank Statements (IF you opted to receive them via email and that comes in either .PDF or .XLS file formats

Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by gbengaijot(m): 11:05am On Jun 04, 2009
@ seun, i noticed that while posting replied, it gives a 504 gateway timeout. This is causing everyone to make their post twice,

Is it a temporary server issue? Kindly rectify it please if you can. God bless
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by v3: 11:09am On Jun 04, 2009

Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by exago(m): 11:20am On Jun 04, 2009
@gbengaijot

Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by lepacious: 11:35am On Jun 04, 2009
What makes this case pathetic is the fact that these guys are really making use of ETB's website for this. Who on earth is the webmaster of the Bank's website?

This should make ETB liable to the victims of this scam.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by lannre(m): 11:39am On Jun 04, 2009
Its not limited to equitorial trust bank thay picked bank at random,the content is enough to make an intellect think twice. (1) how can Bank cancel ATM transaction of Millions of their customers (2) what is the percentage of their customers that have access to the internet to get such information.

I believe the fraudster is sick and no matter the make belive of any website, I advise individual to visit the concerned Organisation for better clarification. As good as ICT there are great vices,its not limited to Nigeria. Hackers effort should be a training to experts,that is what should bring a good challenge to make ICT expert perform better
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by lannre(m): 11:42am On Jun 04, 2009
Its not limited to equitorial trust bank thay picked bank at random,the content is enough to make an intellect think twice. (1) how can Bank cancel ATM transaction of Millions of their customers (2) what is the percentage of their customers that have access to the internet to get such information.

I believe the fraudster is sick and no matter the make belive of any website, I advise individual to visit the concerned Organisation for better clarification. As good as ICT there are great vices,its not limited to Nigeria. Hackers effort should be a training to experts,that is what should bring a good challenge to make ICT expert perform better
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 04, 2009
@Topic.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound. cheesy cheesy
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 04, 2009
@Topic.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound. cheesy cheesy
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by opensource(m): 12:34pm On Jun 04, 2009
How they hell , where they able to host in on the real banking website.

this should be investigated , probably the webmaster should be held.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by allboyz(m): 12:40pm On Jun 04, 2009
even to their fellow brother and sis again? this 'em guys nor dey fear?
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by opensource(m): 1:25pm On Jun 04, 2009
How they hell , where they able to host in on the real banking website.

this should be investigated , probably the webmaster should be held.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by solosimple(m): 1:26pm On Jun 04, 2009
eeehhh! Wahala dey!
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Carlosein(m): 2:04pm On Jun 04, 2009
gbengaijot:

@ seun, i noticed that while posting replied, it gives a 504 gateway timeout. This is causing everyone to make their post twice,

Is it a temporary server issue? Kindly rectify it please if you can. God bless

i noticed this too. but when you post and get this, just refresh instead of going back and posting again.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by exago(m): 2:37pm On Jun 04, 2009
first and Foremost I dont have a direct link with interswitch, it only exists' through my bank, an interswith card linked to my bank account, period. So why should I bother myself updating on a site different from my bank.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by danteweb: 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2009
From the replies i have read on this thread, its obvious that only a handfull are webmasters. This situation is a unique case. Its not the usual thing where the scammer sets up a fake website which is a clone of the original site and tries to get confidential information through that fake website.

This case is the case of a bank's real website, being hijacked and used to scam people. The consequences of this are absolutely grave, ETB really need to get on top of this. As far as i'm concerned, these scammers have the power to do anything with the ETB website if they wish. The can even shut it down totally if the want.

The only mysterious thing is that how did they manage to gain access onto the webspace?? A question only the webmasters can answer.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Seun(m): 4:04pm On Jun 04, 2009
This case is different. www.equitorialtrustbank.com is a legitimate website.
The criminals actually created a fraudulent page on the bank's real website.
(Fortunately, the page has now been removed)

Please note that your bank will never ask for your ATM pin, for any reason.
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by webpro(m): 4:37pm On Jun 04, 2009
How is it possible that this criminals got into ET Bank's website control panel and created a subdomain to upload a phishing website. believe me, the person incharge of managing ET Bank's website is directly responsible for this. As someone who has grounded knowledge in Etical hacking and forency investigation, i know well, how a website is hacked into, so u wont tell me to believe that the fraudstars actually hacked into ETB's website and used it to upload a fraud page.

Please other web programmers here should know what am talking about. Its only if the bank uses a kanel shell code which is vulnerable to attacks, or any other easy web uploading scripts that this happens. Moreso, this fraudstars are not even hackers because what they do is not regarding as hacking so they would not possibly be able to go into their cpanel.

I'm open to more arguments on this

The bank should question their site admin for this! PERIOD!
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by Saddam: 5:20pm On Jun 04, 2009
The Crazy Thing about The Whole things is the When u go to the Office The Old Bingo who's in charge of the IT and web Administratior Will be Busy

Sipping Tea n easting Cookies. Doing facebook

Instead of Checkin on the facilities He is been paid for to look after.

ET Bank its a Shame Just Sack the fella
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by trimandtrendy(f): 5:26pm On Jun 04, 2009
yesterday i got one from gtbank, which is the bank i use. i almost succumbed, til my firfox stopped me
Re: Equitorial Bank Website Used For Interswitch 419 Scam by nitation(m): 5:28pm On Jun 04, 2009
For those lamenting on the web administrator!

You should ask yourself if the bank took the proper procedure in employing the better guys to maintain their online server.

2) How much was "positively" invested in the so-called ETB online website.

3) What checks and balances was put to place on those maintaining the website and how do they respond to problems when encountered; DO this people (ETB) even consider their customer's protection/safety.

Lastly, the web admin doesn't have to give access before a less secured site can be compromised. I give kudos to aeso for sharing his thoughts here, but believe me phishing has gone way beyond how it seem.

My contribution

- nitation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get Started With Blogging In Less Than 5minutes / Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.