Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

African American Movies - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / African American Movies (9918 Views)

Mention the 5 Best American Movies You've Seen This Year So Far / Wich Do You Prefer: Nigerian Or American Movies? / Download American movies on laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African American Movies by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:45pm On Dec 10, 2006
gbade. x:

All they can do better. When you see movies like "friday after", "Big Momma's House", you begin to wonder when AA directors/script writers/actors would wake up from the slumber called mediocrity and stereotypes.

They probably never will since people continue to pay to see such bullshit. It bothers me that garbage like Lil' Man makes money.
Re: African American Movies by gbadex1(m): 10:55pm On Dec 10, 2006
Little Man wasn't that bad (maybe it's because i like the Wayan Brothers and their comic scripts)

where u being sarcastic about Sidney Poitier? That's one of my best AA actors.
Re: African American Movies by gbadex1(m): 10:57pm On Dec 10, 2006
Little Man wasn't that bad (maybe it's because i like the Wayan Brothers and their comic scripts)

where u being sarcastic about Sidney Poitier? That's one of my best AA actors.
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2006
All they can do better. When you see movies like "friday after", "Big Momma's House", you begin to wonder when AA directors/script writers/actors would wake up from the slumber called mediocrity and stereotypes.

I agree.

Black people are to busy hanging out with white people and being accepted by white people as those funny buffoon acting black people. They pretend that what they are doing is in no way compared to the old days where they (white people) used to put on black face and act a fool for other white people to laugh. Now black people are laughing at their self. In America black people from the beginning of slavery were appreciated when they made white people laugh. In fact, do you know how white people even came up with black face comedy? White people had over heard the black slaves talking with each other and after a slave would stop talking, the other slaves he or she was talking to, would bust out in big burley laughs. Well, as the master continued to listen he discovered that the slave who was talking was imitating him the master his self. The slave was imitating how the master and the misses and their children acted as white people. The master heard all the jokes and thought it was pretty brilliant and funny too. That master spread the word to other slave masters and those slave masters began to look for this behavior in their slaves as well. After a while, white slave masters yet discovered another way to make money off of black peoples ideas. They painted their face black and did a television radio show where they made fun of black people, a reverse of what black people was doing to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 6:54pm On Dec 11, 2006
@Gbade.x

Sydney is also another buffoon, have you seen that movie with him and Bill Cosby? Or the movie with him falling in love with a white woman? He has done many movies that showed him falling in love with a white woman. How many movies can you think of where a white man is falling in love with a black woman? You need to see those movies with Sydney, the old ones especially. I can't think of the names of them but I will look it up. It is no doubt that Sydney is a good actor as well as many AA actors and actresses, but they use their great acting skills on garbage film, film that white people want to present as the only black behavior that exist.
Re: African American Movies by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2006
Yes because "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" is a horrible movie because it's about interracial relationships in the 60s

The man's a good actor and him being MARRIED to a white female doesnt change that.

But hey have fun supporting bullshit like Soul Plane.
Re: African American Movies by gbadex1(m): 9:58pm On Dec 11, 2006
@ Sista:

please don't use this thread as an avenue to talk/propagate about your hatred for white people. I don't subscribe to it. Please!!! The topic's about AA acting. Stick to it.

@ ToH:

you've seen "A Good Day To Die"? I loved Sidney Poitier's performance in it. say, what's ya best Sidney Poitier flick?
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 10:31pm On Dec 11, 2006
Gbade.x

Please quit it with telling me what to say. I merely suggested that white people, which are the ones paying black actors to act, they dictate to black people what roles to play, whether you like it or not, it is true. Sydney always hanging out with white women in the movies is true. Why is it that in AA films, it is always depicted as the black man loving a white woman? Yet, it is rare if anytime that you see it the other way around, a white man in the movies falling in love with a black woman? Yo don't' think that is an incorrect and flawed depiction to be putting out there? Film and moves, television tells society in many subliminal ways how they should act. Notice how there are more black men getting with white women than there are black women getting with white men. Notice how if a white man is with a black woman, it is kept a secret but for a black man with a white woman, it is always put out there. Why is it that on a very large scale black men who is an actor, athlete, famous and rich always seems to somehow either marry a white woman or be married to a black woman and impregnating white groupies on the side? You don't think something is wrong with the roles that black people play in these movies? What do you think the children who watch those movies learn and I am talking about all children and teenagers of all races.

You don't tell me which way to go in saying what I say. If you like white people, that is another topic. I said nothing that suggested hate. I was telling the truth about AA film. As an AA I am within full right to give my opinion the way I see it.
Re: African American Movies by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:44pm On Dec 11, 2006
gbade, I havent seen "A Good Day To Die" but I will definitely look for that. I liked him in "The Heat Of The Night" and "They Call Mr Tibbs!" and he was again really good in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" which Hollywood destroyed last year with their disgusting remake "Guess Who"

I really dont know what a topic about the mediocrity of BA movies has to do with someone's disgust for interracial relationships. Speaking of which, that Sanaa Lathan movie "Something New", wasnt she with a white Australia dude. Same with her role in Nip/Tuck and dont get me started on Pam Grier or Tarantino.

one would think with the money that they get from the stupid roles they play they'd have the sense to put it towards making good movies on something important., When did Kerry Washington start acting that she is now in "last King Of Scotland"? I like her, she doesnt limit herself to bullshit movie cos unlike the others she knows she's above that. Her role in LKOS made me forgive her for being in "Lil' Man"
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 6:07am On Dec 12, 2006
Don't get so consumed with my hate that you deny the truth.

Please, tell me, who pays Nigerians for the acting roles they play? Blacks or whites?

Depending on who is doing the paying, that determines what types of roles the person doing the paying wants to project to the public viewers.
Re: African American Movies by gbadex1(m): 12:29pm On Dec 12, 2006
Ok, you have now admitted that there's hate in your posts and used those posts to propagate ur hatred. NOW, what i'm saying is stick to the topic. IT'S ABOUT AA FILMS AND ACTING and NOT interracial relationships. Whether Sidney was having a relationship with a white, red, green woman is none of my business. What matters is his profession/expertise/performance as an actor!! Stick to that!!

Say what you will Sista, BUT SAY IT WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE TOPIC!!

Jesus, Seun where are you? I'm getting sick and tired of this sh-t.

@ToH:

i'll check out the ones u wrote down. I've seen so many of his flicks, i can't remember their names anymore. But i do remember one about Sid and some irish nuns. Saw that one when i was like 10 or so. . .
Re: African American Movies by gbadex1(m): 12:30pm On Dec 12, 2006
Ok, you have now admitted that there's hate in your posts and used those posts to propagate ur hatred. NOW, what i'm saying is stick to the topic. IT'S ABOUT AA FILMS AND ACTING and NOT interracial relationships. Whether Sidney was having a relationship with a white, red, green woman is none of my business. What matters is his profession/expertise/performance as an actor!! Stick to that!!

Say what you will Sista, BUT SAY IT WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE TOPIC!!

Jesus, Seun where are you? I'm getting sick and tired of this sh-t.

@ToH:

i'll check out the ones u wrote down. I've seen so many of his flicks, i can't remember their names anymore. But i do remember one about Sid and some irish nuns. Saw that one when i was like 10 or so. . .
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 4:47pm On Dec 12, 2006
@Gbade.x

Ok, you have now admitted that there's hate in your posts

I didn't admit anything.

You accused me of hateful and of being a racist as you have in other post. I was telling you that you should not be so consumed with your grounded idea of me (my hate) that you deny the truth about the week roles Sydney is always playing. In other words, you are going to think what you want about me, I don't care but don't consume yourself to what you think about me so much that you can't see any truth in what I say. The minute I mention white, you get scared and think I am about to go on racist rant then the way you react towards me allows me to react back. You should be directing you thoughts to the post, not me. Believe it or not, it is your fear of me mentioning white people as well as the fear of Nairaland members that ignites my fuel to be the pest that I can be. That was my little secret but I am sharing it with you. How you manipulate that piece of information about me to the best of your advantage, is on you.

Why don't you relax. We are talking about AA film and we were discussing Sydney Portier. I gave my opinion about the same roles he seems to play and I also said he was a good actor but you didn't take my mentioning that into account, you just started chastising me like a parent chastises a child. I am not your child please remember that. I will say what I feel like saying at all times.
Re: African American Movies by edygirl(f): 12:50pm On Dec 14, 2006
The only black movie that I have ever loved and can watch ten times a day is ANTWONE FISHER
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 6:12pm On Dec 14, 2006
@Edygirl

That movie was a good one and definitely a sad one. What did you particularly like about the movie, did it remind you of anything you have seen people in your life experience?
Re: African American Movies by edygirl(f): 11:59pm On Dec 14, 2006
Not really, I like it because of the two main characters there. Denzel and the other guy.Can't remember his name. That movie wasn't like most of the Black movies I have watched.
Re: African American Movies by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:07am On Dec 15, 2006
Derek Luke?

he's pretty cute.

You should watch "Pieces Of April", he's great in that
Re: African American Movies by Sista(f): 6:41am On Dec 15, 2006
@Edygirl

That movie wasn't like most of the Black movies I have watched.

Yeah girl, I hear you on that. I think it has to do with the movie being based on a true story. It was an actual true story, unlike the many rubbish and fake films AA's produce. I can't think of the other true story films off hand at this minute but I am going to get a list of them and post it. Maybe you will find an interesting one in the list that you might want to see.

This is not an AA film but it is an American film based on a true story. I had actually went to the movies and paid my money to see it, the movie brought tears to my eyes, I actually cried in the theater and could not move out of my seat when the movie was over. My sister had to lift me out of my chair. I brought the movie on DVD and the last time I watch it, it had the same affect on me. If you like real movies that can be emotional, this is a movie to see in my opinion. Maybe you would like to check it out and if you see it, you can tell me what you thought of it.

The movie is called "Monster" The woman who played the role of the woman who the story was based on, her name is Charlize Theron. A makeover was done on her for this movie, a lot of people didn't even know it was this woman who was playing the role of Aileen 'Lee' Carol Wuornos. Aileen is the name of the woman the movie was about.

Here is a link where you can kind of get an idea what the movie is about.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/monster.php
Re: African American Movies by goldenmike: 10:34am On Aug 08, 2007
nairaland how can i meet people
Re: African American Movies by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 08, 2007
stories!
Re: African American Movies by moondust(m): 5:57pm On Aug 08, 2007
goldenmike:

nairaland how can i meet people

u're already meeting them
Re: African American Movies by chiogo(f): 12:34am On Aug 09, 2007
yeah @Edygirl and Sista

I love d movie, Antwone Fisher. saw it at skool in d 9th grade!! smiley

@topic

I love Beauty shop, two can play that game, Best man, Soul plane (Kinda nasty tho') and lots more. can't keep track of their titles.
Re: African American Movies by iice(f): 6:54am On Oct 06, 2007
gbade pretty much summed up my thoughts. . .
Not big on AA movies. . .tooo stereotyped and mediocre, i barely get through some of them
Re: African American Movies by ritchboi: 7:36am On Oct 06, 2007
Iice.
I concur
my best got 2 b paid in full
Re: African American Movies by jiddah: 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2007
hi iice
kinda agreed with u on african american films stereotyped but mediocre?nope not all,i find that most of them try to pass the same message of how under the rough hood and hard life they make it and stuff,and they always like to bring out the hood and what their life is about.

shoving comedies aside and looking at films like Monster's ball and Radio,antwone Fischer,they potray a message only them can,and not wait for people to help tell their stories.the diaries of a mad black woman series did send a message but trust me even oprah wont be having Perry on the show again if he keeps talking bout women always dealing with men and how they overcome wateva it is that troubles them and also playing half of his cast.

well for the dramas like Brown sugar,bestman,love and basketball,disappearing acts, and the list goes on and on,i think they are just guilty pleasures.
Re: African American Movies by oboaks: 3:09pm On Oct 09, 2007
For me ,i think i like African American movie because ,it really brings out the "Blackmans Gift" and most especially,the African culture/pride. For instance ,the Cinderella where Whitney Houston,Brandy & Whoopy Goldberg feature,i really love that movie, and do you no I'll do anything to get that movie,please any one that has that film should please contact me.08054523213 smiley
Re: African American Movies by iice(f): 3:19pm On Oct 09, 2007
jiddah. . .long time! wink hi
Nah i find them mediocre, and i don't only mean story wise. The quality of the film (effects/cinematography), the acting, the performance overall. . .i understand what you mean, yes sometimes the value is not mediocre but am soooo tired of seeing the same ol' thing just in a slightly different packaging. Sometimes, i can just tell right off the bat what the movie is going. . . undecided undecided
Re: African American Movies by lafile(m): 12:36pm On Oct 10, 2007
Most Black Movies ( as separate from movies starring black actors) are a waste of time. whether comedies (In which the actors try too hard to be funny) or action (excessive violence showcasing and glorifying black on black crimes) they do not depict the average african american situation.

However, i do like black actors and black directors.
Re: African American Movies by tonyawestb: 6:31pm On May 12, 2008
I think this is madness that we are still discussing these issues. It should not matter where you are from as long as the heart is pure, you could be with someone from the same back ground and not have the same interest or/ undersatnding about culture because we all have different upbringing and morals. It sounds like tribal war to me, which been going on for centuries, it not just an American and African matter. Look into our generations, we been doing this for years! Some Africans can pretend it does'nt happen there but your just fooling yourself! whats going on right now in Sudan, Congo, Rawada, The Beafar war in Nigeria, is that not genocide! We Americans do it too, We display ignorance to our own heritage. PLESE STOP THE MADNESS! Joblo what is aproper nigerian women, are you not human and make mistakes, therfore there is no perfection as far is GOD is concern, get over yourself, this why we get no where as a people, where to busy making a difference in each other, planatation mentallity. I come from an intergrated family, half Jamaican and Italian mother and African American father, I was born and bred here in USA. And I know for a fact I dont always agree with things here, I'm not into hip hop, Ilove my traditional jazz, I dont speak slang I'm educated and Ilove people and have traveled. Very different from your stereotypes of the African American. And most of all of love my roots from all perspectives, and I'm always open to learning! My spouse is Nigerian we get along because he educated and has an open mind, he's new generation. He learns my traditions and I learn his, even his food, like eba, joloff rice, egusi and etc. but thats who I'am! Other people dont like it, but the hell with them, we doing GODS work by loving each other and breaking the circle. Is'nt taht what life is about, seeking righteousness and loving each other. Please lets live for today, and change our sense of character. We are all one people put here for a purpose other thaN FIGHTING EACH OTHER. p.s SISTER IF YOU LOVE HIM FOLLOW YOUR HEART WITH PATIENCE, UNDERSTANDING, AND AN OPEN MIND, BE WILLING TOO LEARN FROM EACH OTHER IT IS ABLESSING. ONE LOVE
Re: African American Movies by romeo(m): 10:48am On May 13, 2008
tonyawestb:

I think this is madness that we are still discussing these issues. It should not matter where you are from as long as the heart is pure, you could be with someone from the same back ground and not have the same interest or/ undersatnding about culture because we all have different upbringing and morals. It sounds like tribal war to me, which been going on for centuries, it not just an American and African matter. Look into our generations, we been doing this for years! Some Africans can pretend it does'nt happen there but your just fooling yourself! whats going on right now in Sudan, Congo, Rawada, The Beafar war in Nigeria, is that not genocide! We Americans do it too, We display ignorance to our own heritage. PLESE STOP THE MADNESS! Joblo what is aproper nigerian women, are you not human and make mistakes, therfore there is no perfection as far is GOD is concern, get over yourself, this why we get no where as a people, where to busy making a difference in each other, planatation mentallity. I come from an intergrated family, half Jamaican and Italian mother and African American father, I was born and bred here in USA. And I know for a fact I don't always agree with things here, I'm not into hip hop, Ilove my traditional jazz, I don't speak slang I'm educated and Ilove people and have traveled. Very different from your stereotypes of the African American. And most of all of love my roots from all perspectives, and I'm always open to learning! My spouse is Nigerian we get along because he educated and has an open mind, he's new generation. He learns my traditions and I learn his, even his food, like eba, joloff rice, egusi and etc. but thats who I'am! Other people don't like it, but the hell with them, we doing GODS work by loving each other and breaking the circle. Is'nt taht what life is about, seeking righteousness and loving each other. Please lets live for today, and change our sense of character. We are all one people put here for a purpose other thaN FIGHTING EACH OTHER. p.s SISTER IF YOU LOVE HIM FOLLOW YOUR HEART WITH PATIENCE, UNDERSTANDING, AND AN OPEN MIND, BE WILLING TOO LEARN FROM EACH OTHER IT IS ABLESSING. ONE LOVE

I bet you're on the wrong thread cheesy
Re: African American Movies by Horus(m): 9:37pm On Apr 07, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNcZRKsSOAo[/flash]

Interview with Danny Glover in Ngeria on the Toussaint L'Ouverture controversy
Re: African American Movies by shadzie: 9:20am On Apr 24, 2009
African American movies r sweeeeeeeeettttt, esp d ones named by fighter.
i loooove all Tyler Perry's moviesssssss
y'all can also njoy Love n BBALL,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is The "Contains Flash Photography" Warning Important In Some News Bulletin? / Movies With The Most Surprising/twisted Endings / Gulder Ultimate Search Soundtrack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.