Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,145 members, 7,852,907 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:11 AM

Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls (653 Views)

Should Nigeria Adopt A Staggered Election Process??? / Should Nigeria Adopt A Staggered Election Process??? / Ex INEC Boss, Iwu's Daughter In NYSC Certificate Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by moneygurl: 4:25am On Jun 06, 2009
CHAIRMAN of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Maurice Iwu, has called for the staggering of future elections in the country, saying this is one of the most veritable ways for INEC to effectively monitor elections.

Iwu also blamed the political class for violence and other related malpractices that bedevil elections, and insisted that as long as politicians do no change their do-or-die approach to winning elections, the problem would persist.

At the same venue, former US Secretary of State and Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US Armed Forces, Gen. Colin Powell (rtd) noted that Nigerians do not trust their leaders, saying many do not consider the current Nigeria democracy as that of the people.

Iwu who was speaking at the breakfast meeting organised by Tell Communications Limited (publishers of Tell Magazine) to mark Nigeria’s ten years of unbroken democracy (May 1999 – May 2009) on Wednesday said the issue of staggered elections is what INEC is pushing for in the electoral reform.

“We want a situation where future elections would be staggered”, he said.
“We are pushing to have future elections held along geo-political lines, so that we can have elections taking place in the North East and the South-South; the North West and the South West”, he said.

“It is by that way that we can mobilise INEC staff and National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members to fully take charge of these elections”, he said.

“In that way, we can have a better polling, a better monitoring and more transparency in future election.
“These are the kind of reforms we are pushing for in the ongoing electoral reforms”, he said.

He added that the use of NYSC members is another part of the reforms that INEC is proposing, saying that it is easier to hold them accountable than using ad hoc staff, some whom do not have fixed addresses.

“In 2007”, he said, “we thought we could hold elections with our staff only”, he said, “but we discovered that we would need 50,000 hands to do that. And the entire staff strength of INEC was just 1% of that number”, he added.

“So we had no choice but to recruit ad-hoc staff, most of whom can be easily compromised since they hold no loyalty to INEC”, he said.

“But with staggered elections, our staff and NYSC members can effectively hold this elections along zonal lines”, he said.

Nigerians don’t trust their leaders, says Powell

Meanwhile, on the same occasion, Gen. Powell (rtd) noted that Nigerians do not trust their leaders, saying many do not consider the current Nigeria democracy as that of the people.

“I have watched as someone who sees and believes in the great potential of Nigeria as an economic power and a political leader in the region and the world - as someone who wants to see that potential realise”, said Powell.
Powell said that in 1999 he was part of the election monitoring in Nigeria and had a profound experience.

“During my 1999 monitoring mission, I visited a number of polling stations. I remember one vividly. It was at a school complex in Lagos”, said the retired General.

“The school had been built at great expense”, he noted, “but was now vacant and in disrepair due to corruption and poor government”, he posited.

“The polls had closed and a group of young men were waiting around for their ballot to be counted. I pulled up in a SUV with only a driver and guide. They were surprised to see me. We talked for a bit”, he said.

“They were engineers, and technicians – an educated group”, he went on. “I asked them who they had voted for and who they wish to see win.

“I will never forget the answer. And it has troubled me ever since”, he said.

“Whoever wins will be corrupt and will steal. We only ask that they spend the stolen money here in Nigeria so we can benefit and not send it to Swiss banks where it does us no good,” he said.

“As I noted earlier, it was my privilege to serve on the 1999 election monitoring team. It was a controversial election”, he said, “but even with shortcomings and accusations back and forth of fraud, the will of the Nigerian was made manifest, and I have watched with interest as successive elections have continued with the democratic tradition."

“Unfortunately, by all independent accounts I have seen, the irregularities and corruption seen in subsequent elections is deeply troubling.

“There is a real danger that the will of the people is not being determined, but instead, is being manipulated and pushed aside in the quest for power, not service”, he lamented.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37295&Itemid=42

Do you think it is a good idea. India's recent election was like that
but in a country were we cannot hold a credible election in parts of a state, i might be hard to pull off.
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by biina: 8:46am On Jun 06, 2009
There is no need for staggering. If his intention are honorable, he should simply make the process more transparent.
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 06, 2009
staggering will help concentrate resources for efficiency and effectiveness
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by biina: 3:23pm On Jun 06, 2009
which resources are these? man power?
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by chidichris(m): 10:41am On Jun 07, 2009
this unfortunate professor shld shut up his mouth. he has lost the trust of nigerians and the best thing for him now is to leave nigeria and appologise via a confession from a hiding.
whatever plans he has, he shld go and experient somewhere else.
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by SkyBlue1: 10:51am On Jun 07, 2009
I agree with staggered polls in order to manage resources more effectively and put certain areas under better scrutiny, I have even suggested such on numerous occassions. What I am not sure of though is the Chairman's sincerity and genuine intention of achieving free and fair elections in Nigeria.
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by DisGuy: 12:33pm On Jun 07, 2009
I'll support this also

Sky Blue:

I agree with staggered polls in order to manage resources more effectively and put certain areas under better scrutiny, I have even suggested such on numerous occassions. What I am not sure of though is the Chairman's sincerity and genuine intention of achieving free and fair elections in Nigeria.

im still wondering if this man or anybody in the saddle has that much power when it comes to election in Nigeria, the little state chairmen and those at the polling vaults should be the ones watched closely, the system is just wrong, irrespective of the person in charge,with the current system and laws we wont achieve anything
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by deor03(m): 1:27pm On Jun 07, 2009
If only ekiti pools had been a success, then i would have seen reason with IWU
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by blacksta(m): 2:30pm On Jun 07, 2009
Staggered Election = Staggered Rigging
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by bawomolo(m): 5:05pm On Jun 07, 2009
deor03:

If only ekiti pools had been a success, then i would have seen reason with IWU
Re: Iwu Calls For Staggered Polls by Ibime(m): 7:39pm On Jun 07, 2009
blacksta:

Staggered Election = Staggered Rigging

hehehehehe. . . . .Staggered polls will ony increase the 'do or die' nature of local electioneering and would result in something similar to what we saw in Ekiti recently.

(1) (Reply)

Governor Godswill Akpabio Deserves A Second Term / Losing The Battle To Atm Fraudsters / Mosop Will Fight Shell Despite $15.5 Million Settlement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.