Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,119 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal (625 Views)

Comparing Nsukka And Ikwerre Traditional Counting Systems / Alaafin Of Oyo Bags 2 Doctorate Degrees From A South Korean University(pics) / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal by unicislander(m): 7:34am On Dec 19, 2015
One of the aspirants in the South Korean presidential race who also is frontrunner has apologised after sparking a public uproar for jokingly likening the skin colour of a Nigerian student in South Korea to coal.

Kim Moo-sung, the leader of the country’s ruling conservative Saenuri Party and an aspirant in December 2017 elections, issued the apology following the series of public criticism over the comment he made

“I failed to realise that showing friendliness this way could hurt someone’s feelings,” Kim wrote on his Facebook page on Friday.

“I am really sorry and there is no excuse. I sincerely apologise from the bottom of my heart.”

He made the dry joke while delivering coal briquettes to the needy in Seoul alongside a group of foreign exchange students earlier on Friday.

The event was part of a charity programme which drew around 40 students from 27 countries as well as 50 young members of the Saenuri Party.

“Your face colour is the same as the colour of briquettes’ (A briquette (or briquet) is a compressed block of coal dust or other combustible biomass material such as charcoal, sawdust, wood chips, peat, or paper used for fuel and kindling to start a fire colour,”), the 64-year-old said to a Nigerian student while laughing.

The Nigerian student, said he did not take offence.

“I don’t give any special meaning to it,” Adekunie later told local news outlet Focus News. “He said it jokingly. He was laughing.”

“Personally I’m a black man… It’s nothing that I am ashamed of.”

Asked whether he thought Kim should apologise to him, he replied in Korean: “Guenchanayo [No problem]”.

The 26-year-old student is attending a local university on a South Korean government scholarship.

http://samhaykins.com/s-korean-presidential-frontrunner-sorry-for-joke-comparing-nigerian-students-face-to-coal/
Re: S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal by madridguy(m): 7:36am On Dec 19, 2015
Like Kim Moo-Sung like Donald trump bunch of bas.tard pig.
Re: S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal by MzPecs(f): 7:37am On Dec 19, 2015
Eyaaaa..
Re: S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal by Khd95(m): 7:47am On Dec 19, 2015
Do koreans know how the shape of their faces look likegringrin
Re: S Korean Pres. Aspirant Sorry For Comparing Nigerian Student’s Face To Coal by 2prexios: 8:39am On Dec 19, 2015
Koreans evolved from pigs. grin
I'm only joking.
I will apologize later, please.

(1) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Pays Historic Visit To Ijaw Monarch. / Hilarious: She Got Confused By Ladies Like Her / Mrs. Osinbajo Vs Mrs. Obama(who Does It Better?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.