Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,468 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path (1204 Views)

How To Choose A Project Topic / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science / JAMB 2017: How To Choose Your Institution For A Successful Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by tolaxin(m): 10:09am On Dec 19, 2015
Please give me a piece of advice here..

Base on career prospect, which of these courses should I go for?

* Applied geology
* mining engineering
* metallurgical and materials engineering

Also, as a graduate of metallurgical and materials engineering, can I study mechanical or electrical engineering in post graduate or Masters level and work as either of the two?

Thanks

fynestboi
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by tolaxin(m): 10:57am On Dec 19, 2015
make una pls give me advice na

fynestboi, lalasticlala

butanep
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by butanep(m): 7:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
tolaxin:
make una pls give me advice na

fynestboi, lalasticlala

butanep

do you really need the advised?

What actually do you want?

What are your strength & weaknesses ?

What are your key subject areas?

Take away that materials and metallurgical engineering out of it except you are runing a master degree.

Geology and mining engineering are related in a kind of way but geology as a field has more future prospect in Nigeria than mining engineering.

I will explain further when am less busy...
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by tolaxin(m): 8:15pm On Dec 19, 2015
butanep:

do you really need the advised?

What actually do you want?

What are your strength & weaknesses ?

What are your key subject areas?

Take away that materials and metallurgical engineering out of it except you are runing a master degree.

Geology and mining engineering are related in a kind of way but geology as a field has more future prospect in Nigeria than mining engineering.

I will explain further when am less busy...

Thanks for honouring my call bro. I will really appreciate if you give me more analysis on geology. What a person can achieve as a geologist, life after undergraduate, running a professional course or master, et cetera
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by jenrooks: 5:33am On Dec 20, 2015
First of all have you done any analysis on these three specializaitons like

1. The type of work you will doing after completing (may be you can look at your seniors and get some idea)
2. Which type of jobs does the three specializations provide (field work / lab research etc..)
3. The amount of job opportunities available in the market. If there are few opportunities and less scope for career development then existing professionals look for stability and don't often move. Hence finding new opportunities become difficult.

The above points may seem relevant after you complete engineering but will surely help you in your decision making process.

I would have given a clear picture has any of the specialization is related to IT. I don't know any career devleopment platform for geology or metallurgy sciences like www.MyTechLogy.com, which provides career insights, skills in demand and job trends.

All the best in your career.

Cheers.
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by tolaxin(m): 9:10am On Dec 20, 2015
@ jenrooks thanks so much for your contributions sir. I have done a little google search on the courses. Like butanep said, geology seems to be more prospective but I still need advice from gurus in the house on further studies after first degree
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 20, 2015
Right now, focus on your first step. It's good to look ahead, but not when you don't even have a plan A. You can pursue further studies in any of them, but figure out which of those degrees you want to do in your undergrad. What are your interests and skills? Interests can change but skills do not.

Yes, if you do Metallurgical and Materials Engineering in your undergrad, you can do Mechanical or Electrical Engineering for your Masters. Yes, you can work as either of the two (your undergrad field or the field you specialized in for your Masters). People can do that here; I'm not sure about Nigeria, though.
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by tolaxin(m): 11:41am On Dec 20, 2015
Yieldings:
Right now, focus on your first step. It's good to look ahead, but not when you don't even have a plan A. You can pursue further studies in any of them, but figure out which of those degrees you want to do in your undergrad. What are your interests and skills? Interests can change but skills do not.

Yes, if you do Metallurgical and Materials Engineering in your undergrad, you can do Mechanical or Electrical Engineering for your Masters. Yes, you can work as either of the two (your undergrad field or the field you specialized in for your Masters). People can do that here; I'm not sure about Nigeria, though.

Thanks very much ma'am!

Are you not in Nigeria?
Re: Pls Advise Me_ I Want To Choose A Career Path by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 20, 2015
tolaxin:

Thanks very much ma'am!

Are you not in Nigeria?
No prob. No.

(1) (Reply)

Ican November 2015 Result / Drug Abuse And Why Student Get Involved / Revealed! Reasons For The Dismissal Of Professor Dibu As The JAMB Registrar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.