Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,350 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:06 PM

International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? (46982 Views)

Fidelity Bank Raises International Spend Limit On Naira Cards / Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira / CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by bonechamberlain(m): 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
obailala:
Lol.. the nation is currently in a major recession as the reserves of forex we have is dwindling rapidly and we dont have enough inflow of forex due to oil price crash. If measures are not taken to curb the outflow of forex, in just a matter of months, there would be no forex to buy essential commodities such as food and the nation would be plunged into a major humanitarian crises with people standing on 2-days long queues to get a bowl of rice to feed their families. The CBN and FG is struggling to manage and prevent this situation from happening and you think they are the "most ruthless, wicked, parochial and self centered govt in Nigeria's history" all because you want to buy choice goods?

I suggest you save your money and stock your barns with enough food because 'winter is coming,' in fact, winter is already here.
. an intelligent govt would encourage and support production, before implementing all this harsh policies. all this policies of govt is totally useless as long as Nigeria imports everything. what do we even produce in this country, producers themselves are finding it hard in this country, if u aren't a dangote or otedola to get a loan from banks is totally impossible, with their ridiculous repayment plans. those are the things a responsible govt ought to address before implementing such policies.

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by andywaves(m): 8:05pm On Dec 20, 2015
I have never seen where you move backwards to get forwards.people saying India and China did this that was years ago now no country can survive now in isolation ask zimbabwe they also did the same

I believe we should just develop the country it is still s so expensive for manufacturers in Nigeria and as long as imported products are cheaper than locally manufactured ones. Importation will still thrive.

If you want to bring down a tree you don't cut the branches u cut it from the source put the country in order give us power, transportation not just roads but also rail and waterways to move our goods develop the manufacturing sector

U only go out to buy something when it is not in your house fix the house and people will naturally look inwards and if they don't then set your policies.

But as long as the house is not in order then you are only being wicked and inconsiderate
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
Instead of restricting it completely, why cant they limit it to $500 per month on each BVN number... completely restricting it is bad news... what happens to people that need to pay for domain name registration and hosting?

It just does not make sense to just block our Visa/Mastercards from all international purchases.

charlsecy:
Banks hardly have Dollars to settle the obligations that using a Naira-based card on a Dollar-based online resource will produce.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Progress2468(m): 8:37pm On Dec 20, 2015
echelons:
Spend less.

Everybody wants to be importing things into the country. Things that could easily be bought within the country are bought from overseas, increasing the pressure on forex.

Banks are finding it difficult to offset these forex commitments.

Nigerians should begin to look inwards. We must not buy from foreign websites/online stores. Let's start to buy from Naira denominated stores or even from local stores.

Unnecessary travels to Dubai, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Brazil etc just for vacation and shopping should be curtailed. We have good vacation spots in Naija and we can buy a lot better and higher quality stuff here too.

See how Nigerians are talking as if say "Na today?"

Who travels to Dubia necessarily? Me or the senators or our tourist President.

Who send their children to skool overseas with our naira? Me or the senators and our tourists president

Who goes overseas for medical cheek up? Me or the senators and our tourist President

Moral of the story is that it won't work since such policy will adversely affect the political class and put smile on the faces of the poor and middle class

1 Like 1 Share

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by kenchylala: 10:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
DaBullIT:
Because Buhari was the one who spent 1.3 Billion on Spiritual purposes ?

So becos he didn't spend dat amount I can't spend my money I worked for how I want to. Is dat ur point
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by kenchylala: 10:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
kay29000:
This is what I understand about it...The Government is trying to strengthen the Naira. The more money you spend on foreign goods and services, the weaker the Naira. But when you are restricted from doing that, you will look for another option, which is patronizing vendors of Nigerian goods and services. In the short run, people would find it very uncomfortable...but in the long run, the Naira will become stronger, people will become innovative within Nigeria, and more jobs will be created, internally...Very good move.

Do we have constant POwER
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by kenchylala: 11:04pm On Dec 20, 2015
efilefun:

All of you come on here to scream stop living in the past like the present situation ain't results of what happened in the past, imaging NOI being paid in dollars throughout her regime like she was working in the USA, so sure you were not blind to the news about someone who took suitcases filled with dollars to dansuki in #Armsgate
If GEJ had perfected everything before leaving power I don't see any reason why it will all start crumbling just months after his tenure.
You better wake up and leave sentiments

If GEJ did all perfectly why do we need change, why change a management team dat delivers After 8mths u still refer to d last government it mean this present government is clueless but dey asked for d job dat dey will deliver.
SO MAKE U CLEAN UR EYES STAY IN THE PRESENT
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by richard870(m): 11:31pm On Dec 20, 2015
efilefun:

All of you come on here to scream stop living in the past like the present situation ain't results of what happened in the past, imaging NOI being paid in dollars throughout her regime like she was working in the USA, so sure you were not blind to the news about someone who took suitcases filled with dollars to dansuki in #Armsgate
If GEJ had perfected everything before leaving power I don't see any reason why it will all start crumbling just months after his tenure.
You better wake up and leave sentiments
keep shuut

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by yanabasee(m): 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
kay29000:
This is what I understand about it...The Government is trying to strengthen the Naira. The more money you spend on foreign goods and services, the weaker the Naira. But when you are restricted from doing that, you will look for another option, which is patronizing vendors of Nigerian goods and services. In the short run, people would find it very uncomfortable...but in the long run, the Naira will become stronger, people will become innovative within Nigeria, and more jobs will be created, internally...Very good move.

Same way China tried and now, 1USD is equivalent to 6.5CNY... This is upon the standard productions and innovations china have been producing for the past decades now....

The reason why china's currency and economic is still below average is because of it's populace...

Although, they're still bragging that in few years to come, chinese will be world's best economic state.

But the problem is that... China is producing and innovating products.. They have manufacturing companies that manufacture's branded goods and Nigeria is yet to settle for any production. How then will we meet up? Firstly, we have to produce and sell within to enable foreign/international marketers to step in and by so doing, creating value for our currency.... What can Nigeria produce?

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by kessler53(m): 3:05am On Dec 21, 2015
mej67:
It means our economy is removed from international world. Nigerian economy is now local. Anything you can't find and buy locally, forget it. Even weave-on, clothes and bread from wheat, titus fish (eja tutu) will soon be out of reach.

This is buharinomics in action
it is quite unfortunate.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Nobody: 4:26am On Dec 21, 2015
DaBullIT:
Because Buhari was the one who spent 1.3 Billion on Spiritual purposes ?

The Naira must be a PDP supporter to have waited for GEJ to handover to Buhari then started falling drastically after that abi?

Useless Bunkum like you!
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Diovinci: 4:49am On Dec 21, 2015
Bollinger:

The implications you say? Let me help you.

When supply is limited and demand is high, price goes through the roof. Expect the price of the dollar to Naira to be at 400:1 by the end of next year.

An international businessman cannot travel with morethan 10k dollars
In this way importation is cut down and the country @this time is yet to increase exports,most industrys are dead working,crude oil price has dropped below 50usd, OPEC Is loosing control on Price control, all these have serious impact to NAIjA economy Baba Go Slow please stimulate the economy swiftly
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by lonelydora: 7:09am On Dec 21, 2015
mployer:

This is what you get when you vote in illiterate as president.

Is Nigeria the only oil producing country, why are adopting all these crude approach?
When oil price was at 110 dollars per barrel, other countries were investing it wisely while our government was sharing it among themselves. Now the chip is down, we need to explore other methods to survive. Blame 16 years rule of PDP and not the present government.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by lonelydora: 7:13am On Dec 21, 2015
Cmanforall:

That's bad! I noticed Skye bank withdrawal with master card also stopped, abi na only me e affect?

I heard UBA too.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by signz: 7:50am On Dec 21, 2015
lonelydora:

When oil price was at 110 dollars per barrel, other countries were investing it wisely while our government was sharing it among themselves. Now the chip is down, we need to explore other methods to survive. Blame 16 years rule of PDP and not the present government.

No sir forget about PDP. When NOI spoke about savings, our Governors from both major parties said rejected the idea. Soludo recently said that PDP left Nigeria better than they met it.

For those who keep on insisting that we should buy Made in Naija goods, what do we even produce in Nigeria? Those saying that China and India did it, go and check both countries had stable power. It's not possible for majority of Nigerians to buy made in Naija goods and services. At this rate in 2 years, Nigerians will start asking for another election.

Solution is simple, devalue the naira. It took the new argentine president less than an hour to devalue peso. Now world renowned economists are hailing him.

2ndly, Buhari must devolve powers to the states. Soludo said that that's the only way to unlock Nigeria economic potential.

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by lonelydora: 9:38am On Dec 21, 2015
signz:

No sir forget about PDP. When NOI spoke about savings, our Governors from both major parties said rejected the idea. Soludo recently said that PDP left Nigeria better than they met it.

For those who keep on insisting that we should buy Made in Naija goods, what do we even produce in Nigeria? Those saying that China and India did it, go and check both countries had stable power. It's not possible for majority of Nigerians to buy made in Naija goods and services. At this rate in 2 years, Nigerians will start asking for another election.

Solution is simple, devalue the naira. It took the new argentine president less than an hour to devalue peso. Now world renowned economists are hailing him.

2ndly, Buhari must devolve powers to the states. Soludo said that that's the only way to unlock Nigeria economic potential.

I concur with you Sir. Our governors are the major problem we have in this country, but remember when NOI suggested the saving method it was already late, the economy was crumbling already. I stand to be corrected though. I'm not an economist but whatever that puts Nigeria back on track is wholly supported by me.

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Cmanforall: 9:46am On Dec 21, 2015
Princemilla:

No not only u...

And they never sent an email. Nawa o.

What's the way forward?
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by victor2exl(m): 9:53am On Dec 21, 2015
South Africa getting back at us..It is a pay back time for Nigeria FG and his people..But do we really need this bank here??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by spinoff: 11:51am On Dec 21, 2015
charlsecy:
Banks hardly have Dollars to settle the obligations that using a Naira-based card on a Dollar-based online resource will produce.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by spinoff: 11:59am On Dec 21, 2015
DaBullIT:

You can pull a house down in 30 minutes But if you employ 1000 hands, you can't build it back in 2 weeks

GEJ pulled Nigeria down, Buhari is trying to build it
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by janvier27(m): 12:11pm On Dec 21, 2015
Dereformer:
How do I pay for My ACCA exams next year?

port to anan grin grin grin
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Princemilla: 12:54pm On Dec 21, 2015
Cmanforall:

And they never sent an email. Nawa o.

What's the way forward?

I think gtb place restrictions on certain amount u can spend with ur master card shopping at international market. Best is contact ur issuer to get accurate explanations and way out

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by AkinPikin: 1:14pm On Dec 21, 2015
saintkel:
And it all started during Goodluck Ebere Jonathan regime right?

Let me try to educate you small my brother.

1. For every $10 a Nigerian spends, $9 comes from crude oil sales by the Federal Government or the national reserves.

2. OBJ left over $70 Billion for Yar'Adua when he left office in 2007. Average oil prices under OBJ was about $65/barrel.

3. Yar'Adua left $65 for GEJ when he died in 2010. Average oil prices under Yar'Adua was about $45/barrel. Remember oil fell to as low as $38/barrel in 2009? Most of the $5 to 7Billion that Yar'Adua spent was to defend the Naira during the global crisis of 2009, save the banks that fell into trouble in 2009, and fund the amnesty programme for the Niger Delta militants. Notice again the difference between what OBJ and Ya'Adua made from oil.

4. GEJ on the other hand, left $29Billion for PMB. Average oil prices under GEJ was $92/barrel. There were months when oil sold for as high as $130/barrel. For 3.5 years (2011 to June 2014), GEJ sold oil for over $100/barrel. For your information, GEJ presided over the richest years in Nigeria's history, yet he ate what we were to have saved and even ate what was handed over to him.

I have told every one who had ears that whoever takes-over in June 2015 was going to see hell - whether it was GEJ or PMB.

I am at least glad that we have removed the bastard that brought our dear country to this sorry state.

PMB can only work with what he has been handed with. That is why he is chasing corrupt people, looking for money to fund the budget and meet his electoral promises. Government is a continuum. The problem we have now was handed over to us by GEJ and his band of rogues. You think we would be where we are today if his government had saved $100Billion in reserves?

I am no ethnic or religious jingoist. I voted for GEJ in 2011. I deeply regret doing so now. I have friends that have lost jobs because of the man's stupidity since late last year.

As they say, opinions are free, but facts are sacred.

1 Like

Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by charlsecy(m): 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
TeOwl:
Instead of restricting it completely, why cant they limit it to $500 per month on each BVN number... completely restricting it is bad news... what happens to people that need to pay for domain name registration and hosting?
It is indeed bad, but that should tell you how deep in mess Nigeria currently is in.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 21, 2015
Even if they limit it to $150 a month per BVN number, It is still okay, completely restriction would have an adverse effect on the economy. They should stop selling dollars to rice, tooth pick, fruit juice, exotic fruits and lace importers and all those unnecessary importers... outright restriction would mes up everything.

charlsecy:
It is indeed bad, but that should tell you how deep in mess Nigeria currently is in.
Re: International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? by Ugosample(m): 1:11am On Dec 22, 2015
AkinPikin:

Let me try to educate you small my brother.

1. For every $10 a Nigerian spends, $9 comes from crude oil sales by the Federal Government or the national reserves.

2. OBJ left over $70 Billion for Yar'Adua when he left office in 2007. Average oil prices under OBJ was about $65/barrel.

3. Yar'Adua left $65 for GEJ when he died in 2010. Average oil prices under Yar'Adua was about $45/barrel. Remember oil fell to as low as $38/barrel in 2009? Most of the $5 to 7Billion that Yar'Adua spent was to defend the Naira during the global crisis of 2009, save the banks that fell into trouble in 2009, and fund the amnesty programme for the Niger Delta militants. Notice again the difference between what OBJ and Ya'Adua made from oil.

4. GEJ on the other hand, left $29Billion for PMB. Average oil prices under GEJ was $92/barrel. There were months when oil sold for as high as $130/barrel. For 3.5 years (2011 to June 2014), GEJ sold oil for over $100/barrel. For your information, GEJ presided over the richest years in Nigeria's history, yet he ate what we were to have saved and even ate what was handed over to him.

I have told every one who had ears that whoever takes-over in June 2015 was going to see hell - whether it was GEJ or PMB.

I am at least glad that we have removed the bastard that brought our dear country to this sorry state.

PMB can only work with what he has been handed with. That is why he is chasing corrupt people, looking for money to fund the budget and meet his electoral promises. Government is a continuum. The problem we have now was handed over to us by GEJ and his band of rogues. You think we would be where we are today if his government had saved $100Billion in reserves?

I am no ethnic or religious jingoist. I voted for GEJ in 2011. I deeply regret doing so now. I have friends that have lost jobs because of the man's stupidity since late last year.

As they say, opinions are free, but facts are sacred.
Really? Am not an Obj, Yaradua or GEJ or MON (because I think they are all srupid) but you also need to remember these facts too.

Under GEJ, minimum wage was increased to 18000, this means that there was increase in salaries across board in the federal civil service. The previous minimum wage was 7500. That is a more than 100% increase. Deny this fact.

Second, though related to the first, the Youth xorpers allowance has increased to 19800. at any given time in Nigeria, at least 150000 corpers are serving nationwide.

NOI proposed a SWF , considering its syccesses in Norway and Libya. But the greedy governors took the federal government to court. The b astard oshiomole making noise today was one of the governor's at the forefront of opposing SED. all these are facts you should know

Nigerians get the leaders they deserve because most of them suffer from selective amnesia and they are also very foolish people.

GEJ has his own cross to bear for the way the country is, But PMB also has his own cross for being a slow and dumb president. The Nigerian Governors forum also has it's own role in the mass for thwarting the SWF.

The Nigerian people bear it's own cross for being stupid people, supporting politicians because of tribalism and bigotry.

Obasanjo has his own role too. Squandering billions on power yet the country is still dark.

In fact Nigerians are the problem with Nigeria.

Simple. I am very angry this night

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Online Loan Providers In Nigeria / Friend's Message Cursing His Friend For A Debt Of 5 Years / How Much Will It Take To Start A Gas Filling Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.