Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain (33930 Views)

Making Millions From Agro Value Chain Process / Exploring Business Opportunities In Nigeria's Agricultural Value Chain / Beef & Poultry Value Chain Tour + Training In South Africa (Agri Mega) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by theophorus(m): 5:29pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thank God.
most Nigerians are now understanding the harm we are doing to ourselves.
Godbless Nigeria.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Chidozieude: 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2015
Weill informed OP

Very interesting analysis
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Ralphlauren(m): 5:32pm On Dec 22, 2015
The Vaswani brothers. Ripping Nigerians off since 1900.

That family is behind Stallion Group and they've milking nigeria since time immemorial.

They get deported and before you know it, they are back in the country again. undecided

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
I am particularly glad this post made FP. i was involved in a DFID-sponsored rice project 3 years ago and it was invaluable. it is unfortunate that the Federal Government and indeed the various stakeholders excluding the Foreign-sponsored ones continue to undermine the growth of the Agrobusiness in Nigeria and only pay lip-service to enabling and growing sustainable local capacity. The truth is, one day Nigeria will wake up and find themselves crossing the border to Ghana, Cotonu and Cameroon to buy common vegetables to sell to consumers in Nigera. it is already getting to such levels.. onions imported from South Africa, Tomatoes,Oranges, Pear, Bananas and Mangoes imported from Cotonu.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Daniel058(m): 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
Abakaliki rice all the way
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by sunnyb0b0(m): 5:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
Mykellio:
We need a revolution.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/195509-investigation-inside-the-massive-fraud-in-nigerias-n117billion-rice-import-quota-scheme.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

First, it was petroleum subsidy scam, now it is our rice. How long will Nigerians sell their destiny for a plate of Thai rice? But, wait whose fault is it? Can they thrive if there is no market and appetite for it?

Last year I was in the UAE, stayed in Bur Dubai. I entered a Tesco Franchise store off Al Rolla crescent and picked up a 10kg bag of premium quality rice for 15Dirhams (1Dirham = NGN50). That's NGN750. This implies a 50kg would have cost about NGN3,750.
Now, this is not just about rice. I took a cab, 2015 model Hyundai Elantra to Al Mahktoum, driven by a young man named Hussein. Out of curiosity I asked him how much the car cost. He smiled and answered 55,000Dirhams with 0% interest bank loan and comprehensive 3rd party insurance. That's about NGN2,750,000. But same vehicle at Stallion Group, Nigeria is about NGN4million. So, what is it about?

This is about our greed and abysmal "long-throatedness". The desire to make colossal profit margins without regard to whose detriment is mind-buggling and infernal. So, this is not about whether Nigeria is importing or producing rice. It's just we are greedy and lazy.

All the companies listed in that scam want to make quick and huge money, whereas agribusiness takes patience and requires a long term investment mentality to thrive. The rice value chain in particular is very long. Several processes, so yes, instead of going through all that to refine the quality, they just catapult the funds out to import and then sell at ridiculous prices. But mind you they spend most of their time in such places as I mentioned above, so the price here is not their business. Go and ask Oba Otudeko how much a bag of rice is? If they have their way, a bag of rice will sell at N20,000 and a litre of fuel for N1,000.

Yes, I produce rice. But beyond that, for the sake of the economy, for the sake of our pockets for the sake of several millions of Nigerians that eat rice as just "a Sunday meal". Let's develop Nigeria's rice value chain. And your own contribution to it is by buying it and eating it. The rice the Thai family eat on their table in Bangkok is not international, it is local to them. So, let's stop the negativity attached to the word local.

It has chaff, it has stone, it is colored. Yes. But, with adequate investment, the indigenous quality will attain and can surpass foreign standard. Stone in the rice is not the farmers' fault. Rice is not planted in the air, it grows from the soil. Between harvest and bagging, rice loses over 20% of its weight in form of chaff, husk and other sediments as well as moisture. This is the terrain of capital-intensive investment, which is significantly lacking. The farmer can not be the one to plant and be the one to process at the same time. You cannot be the deceased and be the bereaved at the same time. There are people that view this nairaland everyday. There is somebody who has access to investment. Do you know that with just NGN50million, a major processor can be installed and operated in a strategic rice zone in the country that will service over 500 farmers and turn out over 300,000MT of quality rice per annum. Did I just say just? Yes, because there are people who spend that on just one or two cars, which become obsolete within a couple of months. Rice has no model, yes the varieties but there is no fashion attached to it just the appetite.

Let's wake up and stop our nation from being the global dustbin of everything. From rice, to frozen foods, cars etc. Let's make our nation great. Instead of looking for quick money invest in long term agricultural infrastructure. Every other thing may change, but we will always eat. That's the secret behind the lucrativeness of agriculture. Only that the Thai are using their "loaves of bread to pack our stew", crass exploitation of the highest order.

If 1 million Nigerians buy 1 Derica (small unit that measures 64 times in a 50kg bag) of Nigerian rice for N100 thrice a week. We will succeed in retaining at least NGN300million in the economy per month, and NGN3.6billion per annum that should have escaped as capital flight in importing rice.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Mykellio

Go to Anambra state and see what is happening in terms of rice production. The state will soon become an exporter of the commodity.

2 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by tpraiz(m): 5:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
Long walk to freedom........ ; )
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 20bc(m): 5:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
[quote author=StrawberryCream post=41246875][/quote]
you again......

Just keep calm
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by manie(m): 5:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
Ralphlauren:
The Vaswani brothers. Ripping Nigerians off since 1900.

That family is behind Stallion Group and they've milking nigeria since time immemorial.

The get deported and before you know it, they are back in the country again. undecided

I think the so-called hero of democracy brought them back into Nigeria, so that they could to continue harming the country from where they stopped before they were deported.

3 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by t0kunb0(m): 5:35pm On Dec 22, 2015
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by onatisi(m): 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2015
Let obansanjo farms,dangote other billionaires invest in rice production and increase its quality , before we start blaming Nigerians for not buying locally made rice.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2015
20bc:

you again......

Just keep calm
U aint feeling this stalkish behaivour abi
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 20bc(m): 5:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
StrawberryCream:

U aint feeling this stalkish behaivour abi
Who de fπck are you......?
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by prof800(m): 5:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
Akinwumi Adesina, where art thou.?! undecided
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
20bc:

Who de fπck are you......?
Not sure
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by otokx(m): 5:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
Greed is killing Nigerians; was it not Tonte Dike that declared ownership of 2016 Jeep the other day? Nairaland mods even promoted it.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 2016Utmerunz: 5:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
FARMERS
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Bucacious: 5:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
God bless u op for dis writeup. I am not a rice farmer but I love grown in Nigeria rice. The problem is dat the locak rice is not available everywia. It is not readily available at all. All the same there is no excuse on govt part to give this sector the attention it requires.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by jasper7(m): 5:47pm On Dec 22, 2015
This is one of the best pieces I have read on Nairaland Mykellio, something good is coming to you.

2 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 22, 2015
The fact is the government needs to protect indigenous production of rice..why do I say so..The various cabals that have ensured that rice farming doesn't see the light of day and that importation and sales of rice at exorbitant amounts remains status quo would stop at nothing to kill the plans of others who choose to feed our nation ...nigeria is such a complicated country reason why I say states should be on there own and focus on what they can do to propel nigeria agriculturally and industrially..

Right in bayelsa peremabiri once had the largest rice farm in West Africa. .how that hub of rice farming ended up defunct is amazing...

We need policies that will help us grow indigenously. .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Kazzman(m): 5:49pm On Dec 22, 2015
This is a nice write up, May God continues to Increase your wisdom as you have woken us up as citizens and those in government from our limitless slumber. God bless you and those that support this piece of advice.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by anonimi: 5:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thanks OP and Pavore9 for your insights.
Will this knowledge move ALL of us into action?
Big question

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2920815_fbimg1443594726987_jpegc00071cb2902eb1726fe8107c3b2dbb6

lomprico:
Good! I hope d loan extends to the farmers in ebonyi. I saw their "rice hill" sometime last month n was astonished!

Note. The tiny dots at d top are people.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3074084_img20150709wa000_jpeg7cbcb35c5f93b890a7ce92b4c0df8a1c

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 22, 2015
Ebonyi state governor is looking for where to dash out the little money in their coffers without looking for ways to make abakaliki rice one in the entire west Africa if not the entire Africa

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by anonimi: 5:54pm On Dec 22, 2015
IzonOwei:
The fact is the government needs to protect indigenous production of rice..why do I say so..The various cabals that have ensured that rice farming doesn't see the light of day and that importation and sales of rice at exorbitant amounts remains status quo would stop at nothing to kill the plans of others who choose to feed our nation ...nigeria is such a complicated country reason why I say states should be on there own and focus on what they can do to propel nigeria agriculturally and industrially..

Right in bayelsa peremabiri once had the largest rice farm in West Africa. .how that hub of rice farming ended up defunct is amazing...

We need policies that will help us grow indigenously. .

It should be the work of the:

- senators
- representatives and
- governors

of the concerned states to LOBBY for laws and policies in favour of their areas economic growth instead of seating on their LAZY bums sharing oil money every month from Abuja.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by PHIPEX(m): 5:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
Nice on Op, we are all too short sighted as Nigerians. We consider anything local as inferior, that's why we use condescending words to describe local ingenuities eg "Aba made" but at the same time hail everything foreign regardless of quality.

Am heading agric way by January. I hope it pays off. Crude price is falling, companies are retrenching, it's time to diversify.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Fourwinds: 5:57pm On Dec 22, 2015
country of wickedness., greed., covertous
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by oliver003: 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
for me, I am ready to go back to my village to start rice farming, if government can make available and accessible farming implement at low cost.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Koolking(m): 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
Mykellio:
We need a revolution.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/195509-investigation-inside-the-massive-fraud-in-nigerias-n117billion-rice-import-quota-scheme.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

First, it was petroleum subsidy scam, now it is our rice. How long will Nigerians sell their destiny for a plate of Thai rice? But, wait whose fault is it? Can they thrive if there is no market and appetite for it?

Last year I was in the UAE, stayed in Bur Dubai. I entered a Tesco Franchise store off Al Rolla crescent and picked up a 10kg bag of premium quality rice for 15Dirhams (1Dirham = NGN50). That's NGN750. This implies a 50kg would have cost about NGN3,750.
Now, this is not just about rice. I took a cab, 2015 model Hyundai Elantra to Al Mahktoum, driven by a young man named Hussein. Out of curiosity I asked him how much the car cost. He smiled and answered 55,000Dirhams with 0% interest bank loan and comprehensive 3rd party insurance. That's about NGN2,750,000. But same vehicle at Stallion Group, Nigeria is about NGN4million. So, what is it about?

This is about our greed and abysmal "long-throatedness". The desire to make colossal profit margins without regard to whose detriment is mind-buggling and infernal. So, this is not about whether Nigeria is importing or producing rice. It's just we are greedy and lazy.

All the companies listed in that scam want to make quick and huge money, whereas agribusiness takes patience and requires a long term investment mentality to thrive. The rice value chain in particular is very long. Several processes, so yes, instead of going through all that to refine the quality, they just catapult the funds out to import and then sell at ridiculous prices. But mind you they spend most of their time in such places as I mentioned above, so the price here is not their business. Go and ask Oba Otudeko how much a bag of rice is? If they have their way, a bag of rice will sell at N20,000 and a litre of fuel for N1,000.

Yes, I produce rice. But beyond that, for the sake of the economy, for the sake of our pockets for the sake of several millions of Nigerians that eat rice as just "a Sunday meal". Let's develop Nigeria's rice value chain. And your own contribution to it is by buying it and eating it. The rice the Thai family eat on their table in Bangkok is not international, it is local to them. So, let's stop the negativity attached to the word local.

It has chaff, it has stone, it is colored. Yes. But, with adequate investment, the indigenous quality will attain and can surpass foreign standard. Stone in the rice is not the farmers' fault. Rice is not planted in the air, it grows from the soil. Between harvest and bagging, rice loses over 20% of its weight in form of chaff, husk and other sediments as well as moisture. This is the terrain of capital-intensive investment, which is significantly lacking. The farmer can not be the one to plant and be the one to process at the same time. You cannot be the deceased and be the bereaved at the same time. There are people that view this nairaland everyday. There is somebody who has access to investment. Do you know that with just NGN50million, a major processor can be installed and operated in a strategic rice zone in the country that will service over 500 farmers and turn out over 300,000MT of quality rice per annum. Did I just say just? Yes, because there are people who spend that on just one or two cars, which become obsolete within a couple of months. Rice has no model, yes the varieties but there is no fashion attached to it just the appetite.

Let's wake up and stop our nation from being the global dustbin of everything. From rice, to frozen foods, cars etc. Let's make our nation great. Instead of looking for quick money invest in long term agricultural infrastructure. Every other thing may change, but we will always eat. That's the secret behind the lucrativeness of agriculture. Only that the Thai are using their "loaves of bread to pack our stew", crass exploitation of the highest order.

If 1 million Nigerians buy 1 Derica (small unit that measures 64 times in a 50kg bag) of Nigerian rice for N100 thrice a week. We will succeed in retaining at least NGN300million in the economy per month, and NGN3.6billion per annum that should have escaped as capital flight in importing rice.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Mykellio

Your commentary is thought-provoking, insightful and intellectually overwhelming. Agribusiness is a virgin goldmine. Sadly, Nigerians are only interested in Politics, 190bettings and ephemeral opportunity offered by Oil and Gas. However, I see HOPE

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Tekzyflex(m): 6:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
In Nigeria you will write and talk but nothing will be done. I just tire for this country called Nigeria. People are only interested in drinking beer and pepper soup and watching premier league.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by oz4real83(m): 6:08pm On Dec 22, 2015
The major problem affecting Nigeria still lies in the wrong foundation. Our economy wasn't matured enough to be opened to the outside world at the time it was done. This early awareness to foreign goods created an appetite that is insatiable and also difficult to quench. China closed its economy to the whole world in their foundation period and developed local appetite for their locally produced goods. By the time their economy was opened,the appetite still remained!!! That's why their economy is growing at alarming rate because they patronise their locally made goods and force the whole world to also patronize them by making them affordable and easily available!!!
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 6:08pm On Dec 22, 2015
Mykellio:
We need a revolution.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Mykellio

You're right! We really do need an Agricultural Revolution in this country.

It pains me that successive Governments have been paying lip service about the need to seriously invest in Agriculture and diversify our economy so that we do not depend too much on oil revenues. They go out there and make all the promises, yet, Agriculture is still relegated to the background. Students studying agricultural Sciences in tertiary institutions are usually ashamed to tell people their course of study as they're regarded as 'second class' courses. We need to change this mentality. Most of our Agricultural Courses graduates end up doing white & blue collar jobs...yours truly is guilty as charged.

I've been seriously thinking about turning back to Agriculture rather than these white collar jobs. Hit me up if you've got some good ideas we can develop and work with.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Akeredolu Commissions Ultra-modern Piggery In Ondo (photos) / Lai Mohammed, Muhammad Nanono Visit Rice Mills In Kano (Photos) / Photos Of A Big Python Killed In A Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.