Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain (33926 Views)

Making Millions From Agro Value Chain Process / Exploring Business Opportunities In Nigeria's Agricultural Value Chain / Beef & Poultry Value Chain Tour + Training In South Africa (Agri Mega) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by oz4real83(m): 6:08pm On Dec 22, 2015
The major problem affecting Nigeria still lies in the wrong foundation. Our economy wasn't matured enough to be opened to the outside world at the time it was done. This early awareness to foreign goods created an appetite that is insatiable and also difficult to quench. China closed it economy to the whole world in their foundation period and developed local appetite for their locally produced goods. By the time their economy was opened to external influences,the appetite still remained!!! That's why their economy is growing at alarming rate because they patronise their locally made goods!!!
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by IbokUtoroh(m): 6:15pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thunderlicious:
This Op get sense pass PDP.

not only pdp but dangote, oba otukedo, mike aondokaa n all those who benefitted from the rice subvention.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by menxer: 6:16pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thank God I reintroduced eating our local rice at home.

Is there no wailer to refute what this OP is talking about?
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by persius555(m): 6:17pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thanks,Op. I just hope the minister of agriculture is reading this. We just need to be patriotic to a little extent in this country. God has definitely blessed our country with enormous natural endowment, but we are a people that find it hard to appreciate sweat.
If the agric sector can emulate the huge transformation in the nigerian music industry. Years ago, you hardly hear our music in africa not to talk of outside the continent.Today, nigeria rules the africa music industry. We stand a good chance of providing employment for the huge youth population of this country and at the same time possess the ability to feed millions of nationals in foreign countries.
We just need to have believe in ourselves as a nation and the world would marvel at the potential we can become.

2 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Btruth: 6:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
@ Mykellio, thanks so much for the write-up, I hope someone at the corridor of power will push this to the people in power.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by macklef(m): 6:38pm On Dec 22, 2015
Infact ehn, if u eat ofada rice with confirm togo stew. My brother my sister
U will begin to ask whasts so special about imported rice.

Left for me, if i am presented with both rice based on the economic situation or not
I prefare ofada rice our fada rice. Thats the bizness baby

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by macklef(m): 6:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Go to Anambra state and see what is happening in terms of rice production. The state will soon become an exporter of the commodity.
How much is a bag of enugu rice?
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by mrspeaker: 6:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
We are only wise to do evil,steal,defraud and lie more than satan but to do good and reason right we dont have such knowledge and yet we

attribute the blame to Mr president. when our we going to wake up from our sensibilty of creative mind and make life a better place for us all.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by great664(m): 6:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
I bought the rice last week a de Rica for 400 naira,

My friends confess its better than eating Polish rice and heavier too,

By the way No Stone as Op say o, absolutely no stone

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by fluffybaby(f): 7:09pm On Dec 22, 2015
Good points OP. Very good points
But, we cannot expect Nigerians to sacrifice their comfort to see the growth of rice industry if those who man the rice production dont seem to want to improve it.
You can tell me to endure for a while under the agreement that things will iimprove. But if after the given time things still dont improve, then dont expect me to keep chewing stones and selecting half bag of rice if I want to cook for large group of people.
Plus already cleaned rice saves time that would have been spent on picking.
if farmers want people to patronize their products, they should package and market it well. The consumer should not be expected to pay in cash and in comfort for the producers of rice to smile to the bank.
Rice growers should look for a way to solve this problem and then go about educating Nigerians on the benefit of eating localy grown rice.

2 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by cronsberg: 8:04pm On Dec 22, 2015
I have always said it, show me an agricultural product and i will show you atleast ten byproducts that can come from it and ten industries it can start. E.g Cattle can start the beef processing industry, leather industry, adhesive industry, milk industry, ice cream, e.t.c Cotton can start feed mill industry, textile, even explosives, cotton seed oil, Money (some U.S dollars are made from cotton material) e.t.c all these are potential manufacturing industries. Imaging the job creation, imaging the export potential, imaging the revenue from tax, imaging the diversification from oil. But i will just never understand why our leaders and business people are such clueless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
It is the same mentality that will make someone using 190k Iphone laugh at me using 16k inifinix hot whereas both phones can ping,bbm, do instagram and take pictures etc. Nigerians need to upgrade their mentality. In fact the FG must assist in doing this by placing restrictions on insatiable appetite for extravagant consumer goods that are ruining the economy
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Dminister(m): 8:28pm On Dec 22, 2015
This is a very good logical statement quoted here by a true and patriotic nigerian, God bless you for giving those who are blind the light to see. Kudos!
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by llumarnigeria: 8:36pm On Dec 22, 2015
most of you guys posting don't just get the point,Government cannot do everything, the post is meant for private individuals who can go into rice processing, Government has no business in doing business.

2 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by sonnie10: 8:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
Economy of scale. If I invest #50M in a rice processing industry and there is no electricity to power the factory, how do I break even? Imagine buying diesel to run such factory. Transportation is another issue, when you consider the poor state of roads. At the end of the day, when you add up the cost of product, Thia rice would be half the price. Except for the wasteful government, no business man will make such an investment. Don't tell me to be patriotic and pay more for something I could get equal or better quality for less.

Infrastructural decay is the root problem in Nigeria.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Mykellio: 8:46pm On Dec 22, 2015
Wow!

I have to thank you all for the very frank, reinvigorating, thought-provoking, and constructive comments. I find them inherently sapient and salient to the discourse. Thanks @misreal, I guess you are happy now. No need to fight Seun. @Pavore9, I am already looking at the handheld rice harvesters. We have to bring them in. I have learnt a lot. @fluffybaby.. Lol. Never mind you will not lose your pearly teeth to stones and I will soon tell you why.

Well, on a personal level, while I am not a graduate of agriculture or related degrees, I am one person amongst others who is very passionate about the pursuit of Nigeria's self sufficiency and national food security. And by food security I imply, the drive and process to make food available, adequate, accessible and affordable.

I believe that, Nigeria can feed itself, Africa and the world. Nigeria can become a continental and global breadwinner. We suffer from gruelling abysmal poverty in the midst of opulence. It is an unfathomable paradox. A paradox made real and infernal by the greed and slothfulness of actors at various levels of analysis.

As I said, you can not be the deceased and be the bereaved at the same time. When you die someone else has to do the weeping and burying. That is the nature of agriculture. Everything is not about the farmer. The farmer can not till the soil, sow the seeds, scare birds, weed grass and harvest, and thresh rice, then still be expected to mill, destone, polish, grade, sort and bag the rice. This is the terrain of the processors. If you read the link in this writeup, the companies are supposed processors to whom federal funds were approved in form of subsidy to first, process local rice and secondly, import rice in order to bridge the demand-supply gap of rice. The first was neglected, they just jumped to the second. Priority should have been first given to our indigenous rice and then importation as a plan B. But, plan B became plan All.

It is the task of our indigenous processors to refine our rice to international standard. Removing chaff and stone, polishing and bagging is their portfolio, not the farmers'. This is what the funds from CBN through the commercial banks in form of Nigerian Incentive-based Risk Sharing Agric Lending (NIRSAL) and Commercial Agric Credit Scheme (CACS) where supposed to achieve since 2009.

At the risk of turning this thread into an advert, we are currently investing in Nigeria's rice value chain, soon to become large scale to turn out 20,000MT of polished rice per annum. Our current test production and pilot marketing phase has shown to us, that it is feasible and viable to have stone-free, chaff free and polished rice at reasonable prices available to Nigerians. It is a long arduous journey ahead, but it is a path we are willing to walk on. We would rather die trying than become spectators to the current feast on Nigeria's populace by cabals of food importers from home and abroad.

So, it is possible but we have to give it a chance. And a lot of will and commitment should go into it not lip service. Together, we can reposition Nigeria from subsistence deficits to national economic surpluses in rice productivity.

N1billion escapes our economy daily in form of jollof rice, fried rice, white cooked with Asian rice we know the brands. We can turn this tide, by buying a Derica of Nigerian rice thrice a week just 1 million Nigerians will see about N5 billion in capital flight restored back to this country.

Once again, thank you all.

4 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by bawz012(m): 8:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
BlackMaria:
Local rice that tastes like corn. Tueh.

See them... NAIJIRIYANS... CHAI! DIARIS GOD O
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 22, 2015
Mykellio:

At the risk of turning this thread into an advert, we are currently investing in Nigeria's rice value chain, soon to become large scale to turn out 20,000MT of polished rice per annum. Our current test production and pilot marketing phase has shown to us, that it is feasible and viable to have stone-free, chaff free and polished rice at reasonable prices available to Nigerians. It is a long arduous journey ahead, but it is a path we are willing to walk on. We would rather die trying than become spectators to the current feast on Nigeria's populace by cabals of food importers from home and abroad.

So, it is possible but we have to give it a chance. And a lot of will and commitment should go into it not lip service. Together, we can reposition Nigeria from subsistence deficits to national economic surpluses in rice productivity.

N1billion escapes our economy daily in form of jollof rice, fried rice, white cooked with Asian rice we know the brands. We can turn this tide, by buying a Derica of Nigerian rice thrice a week just 1 million Nigerians will see about N5 billion in capital flight restored back to this country.

Once again, thank you all.

Who are the 'We'?
How can I be a part of this?
I'd like to invest (financially and technically) in something like this.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Kereokwu(f): 8:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
Wow I am so happy we have youths who think in this direction( not making quick money, big cars and ostentatious life).
While I work in a private firm (9am-7pm) and I have little savings <1million no land, I've been considering farming seriously especially casto seeds maybe I'll add other faster yielding crops. I really want to start the farm 2016 but no idea or how to go about it.

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by danbrowndmf(m): 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
StrawberryCream:

U aint feeling this stalkish behaivour abi
who u be sef?u dnt want to tell me abi
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 22, 2015
menxer:
Thank God I reintroduced eating our local rice at home.
Is there no wailer to refute what this OP is talking about?

TAKE YOUR BADGE OF WAILING IF THE STONES CANNOT GET UP AND SHOUT grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Purehuman(m): 9:06pm On Dec 22, 2015
The problem with nigerian is tribalism. No one wants to raise the fact that anambra is set to produce 300million tonnes of ricebin 2016.

Why?

Its the igbos, their news and achievement will not be heard.

For ur info, we now have anambra rice. PatroniZe us and so u know, the quality is high.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by olusholaonipede(f): 9:08pm On Dec 22, 2015
Mykellio:
We need a revolution.

God bless you for this, OP.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/195509-investigation-inside-the-massive-fraud-in-nigerias-n117billion-rice-import-quota-scheme.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

First, it was petroleum subsidy scam, now it is our rice. How long will Nigerians sell their destiny for a plate of Thai rice? But, wait whose fault is it? Can they thrive if there is no market and appetite for it?

Last year I was in the UAE, stayed in Bur Dubai. I entered a Tesco Franchise store off Al Rolla crescent and picked up a 10kg bag of premium quality rice for 15Dirhams (1Dirham = NGN50). That's NGN750. This implies a 50kg would have cost about NGN3,750.
Now, this is not just about rice. I took a cab, 2015 model Hyundai Elantra to Al Mahktoum, driven by a young man named Hussein. Out of curiosity I asked him how much the car cost. He smiled and answered 55,000Dirhams with 0% interest bank loan and comprehensive 3rd party insurance. That's about NGN2,750,000. But same vehicle at Stallion Group, Nigeria is about NGN4million. So, what is it about?

This is about our greed and abysmal "long-throatedness". The desire to make colossal profit margins without regard to whose detriment is mind-buggling and infernal. So, this is not about whether Nigeria is importing or producing rice. It's just we are greedy and lazy.

All the companies listed in that scam want to make quick and huge money, whereas agribusiness takes patience and requires a long term investment mentality to thrive. The rice value chain in particular is very long. Several processes, so yes, instead of going through all that to refine the quality, they just catapult the funds out to import and then sell at ridiculous prices. But mind you they spend most of their time in such places as I mentioned above, so the price here is not their business. Go and ask Oba Otudeko how much a bag of rice is? If they have their way, a bag of rice will sell at N20,000 and a litre of fuel for N1,000.

Yes, I produce rice. But beyond that, for the sake of the economy, for the sake of our pockets for the sake of several millions of Nigerians that eat rice as just "a Sunday meal". Let's develop Nigeria's rice value chain. And your own contribution to it is by buying it and eating it. The rice the Thai family eat on their table in Bangkok is not international, it is local to them. So, let's stop the negativity attached to the word local.

It has chaff, it has stone, it is colored. Yes. But, with adequate investment, the indigenous quality will attain and can surpass foreign standard. Stone in the rice is not the farmers' fault. Rice is not planted in the air, it grows from the soil. Between harvest and bagging, rice loses over 20% of its weight in form of chaff, husk and other sediments as well as moisture. This is the terrain of capital-intensive investment, which is significantly lacking. The farmer can not be the one to plant and be the one to process at the same time. You cannot be the deceased and be the bereaved at the same time. There are people that view this nairaland everyday. There is somebody who has access to investment. Do you know that with just NGN50million, a major processor can be installed and operated in a strategic rice zone in the country that will service over 500 farmers and turn out over 300,000MT of quality rice per annum. Did I just say just? Yes, because there are people who spend that on just one or two cars, which become obsolete within a couple of months. Rice has no model, yes the varieties but there is no fashion attached to it just the appetite.

Let's wake up and stop our nation from being the global dustbin of everything. From rice, to frozen foods, cars etc. Let's make our nation great. Instead of looking for quick money invest in long term agricultural infrastructure. Every other thing may change, but we will always eat. That's the secret behind the lucrativeness of agriculture. Only that the Thai are using their "loaves of bread to pack our stew", crass exploitation of the highest order.

If 1 million Nigerians buy 1 Derica (small unit that measures 64 times in a 50kg bag) of Nigerian rice for N100 thrice a week. We will succeed in retaining at least NGN300million in the economy per month, and NGN3.6billion per annum that should have escaped as capital flight in importing rice.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Mykellio
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by menxer: 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
voltron:

TAKE YOUR BADGE OF WAILING IF THE STONES CANNOT GET UP AND SHOUT grin grin

You mean for wailing for the wailing wailers I got a badge?
Thanks but no thanks. grin
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by wasamtech: 9:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
@Mykellio,

As l read through your scripts, tears rolled freely on my cheeks. Its so dis-heartening that the rich hate the common man so much and the common man too are so blind to see these. Going by politics you see them fighting over rice and other meagre in other to support those criminal to power and at the end we complain.

As for me, l have started out as a farmer and l know l will get there. Nigerians don't patronize made in nigeria goods due to low quality and you can't blame them because of the get rich syndrome of an average producer or manufacturer. Made in Nigeria goods are better because you cut alot of cost in shipment if you were to import from overseas. I have stopped eating frozen chicken or turkey because l don't want to have health problem rather l prefer to buy life chicken to eat.

I think we have to create more awareness through tv and radio adverts or social media to encourage local patronage or even have a special market where made in Nigeria goods will be sold. These l feel will create more opportunities and we can improve our naira value.

My view.

3 Likes

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Kereokwu(f): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
Wow I am so happy we have youths who think in this direction( not making quick money, big cars and ostentatious life).
While I work in a private firm (9am-7pm) and I have little savings <1million no land, I've been considering farming seriously especially casto seeds maybe I'll add other faster yielding crops. I really want to start the farm 2016 but no idea or how to go about it.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by oglalasioux(m): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
Many thanks for this observation and suggestion of ways out. Our problem in black Africa is laziness. Let's implement the land use act fully. It's one of the greatest barrier to agriculture especially in the south east.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2015
bawz012:

See them... NAIJIRIYANS... CHAI! DIARIS GOD O
Shey make I dey lie ni. The rice tastes like corn to me.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by wasamtech: 9:47pm On Dec 22, 2015
Kereokwu:

Its better to start learning now through youtube video and some materials you can find online. Then start out small by studying the desired plant before you go commercial because alot of new comers are in a hurry to make it big on their first set out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by izutex007(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2015
[quote author=Mykellio
[/quote]

with pple like the OP in Nigeria, we got hope.

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by samsard(m): 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2015
12inches1:
It is the same mentality that will make someone using 190k Iphone laugh at me using 16k inifinix hot whereas both phones can ping,bbm, do instagram and take pictures etc. Nigerians need to upgrade their mentality. In fact the FG must assist in doing this by placing restrictions on insatiable appetite for extravagant consumer goods that are ruining the economy
Much as some will argue that iPhones are overpriced, comparing a 16K Infinix with say, an iPhone 6S 64GB edition, is an absolutely ridiculous comparison.
Back to the topic, the op is on point but I don't think consumers should sacrifice their comfort, rather, local producers should up their game. We don't necessarily need stellar quality rice, if it's good enough, we'll buy it.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by akanbiaa(m): 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2015
youngice:
The way we despise our local materials
Is just appalling, every thing is imported
Even brain is imported haba
One day we go start to import olosho
Exactly even the politicians have started with young asian girls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Akeredolu Commissions Ultra-modern Piggery In Ondo (photos) / Lai Mohammed, Muhammad Nanono Visit Rice Mills In Kano (Photos) / Photos Of A Big Python Killed In A Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.