Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain (33928 Views)

Making Millions From Agro Value Chain Process / Exploring Business Opportunities In Nigeria's Agricultural Value Chain / Beef & Poultry Value Chain Tour + Training In South Africa (Agri Mega) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Menace2Society(m): 3:10pm On Dec 23, 2015
BlackMaria:
Local rice that tastes like corn. Tueh.
Very dumb post undecided yeye

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by bawz012(m): 3:41pm On Dec 23, 2015
BlackMaria:
Sure. But I'm not the only Nigerian who dislikes local rice.

Sure, Bt it Begins with us!
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by bawz012(m): 3:41pm On Dec 23, 2015
BlackMaria:
Sure. But I'm not the only Nigerian who dislikes local rice.

Sure, Bt it Begins with us!
cheers
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by kevinokereh(m): 4:09pm On Dec 23, 2015
Well, the greed in this country is appalling and no agency to oversee such. These days I prefer the local rice more than the foreign apart from pationage I feel we need to invest more on agriculture and rice farming is what we have to look into.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 23, 2015
Menace2Society:
Very dumb post undecided yeye
Ode,oya kill ur-sef
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Menace2Society(m): 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2015
BlackMaria:

Ode,oya kill ur-sef
This one dey form grin plonker
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 20bc(m): 6:43pm On Dec 23, 2015
StrawberryCream:

Not sure
Hmmm, you shocked shocked..... I cry
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 23, 2015
20bc:

Hmmm, you shocked shocked..... I cry
cry
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 20bc(m): 7:23pm On Dec 23, 2015
StrawberryCream:

cry
So you are 247, hmmmm
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2015
20bc:

So you are 247, hmmmm
Haba uve forgotten so quick shocked
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 20bc(m): 7:32pm On Dec 23, 2015
StrawberryCream:

Haba uve forgotten so quick shocked
Nope, I didn't. I knew one day you will come back. So what made you change your mind....
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 23, 2015
20bc:

Nope, I didn't. I knew one day you will come back. So what made you change your mind....
Nothing really ..
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by 20bc(m): 7:49pm On Dec 23, 2015
StrawberryCream:

Nothing really ..
Well its good to have you back, welcome on board..... kiss
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 23, 2015
Menace2Society:
This one dey form grin plonker
Mur-fucker.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Menace2Society(m): 8:19pm On Dec 23, 2015
BlackMaria:

Mur-fucker.
Go play with sand undecided
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 23, 2015
Menace2Society:
Go play with sand undecided
Abeg bring cement along.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Mykellio: 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2015
Hi all. Thanks so much for keeping the thread alive on NL front page. But I would like to crave the indulgence of us all to not digress or deviate from the crux of this discourse.

Let us not debase ourselves to the level of uncouthness and crass utterances. We are all entitled to our opinions and preferences. No one deserves to be belittled for his/ her taste, choice and appetite.

Discussions should be kept constructive and salient as possible. Thanks for the compliance.

Regards,

Mykellio

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by mikolo80: 6:06am On Dec 24, 2015
Mykellio:
We need a revolution.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/195509-investigation-inside-the-massive-fraud-in-nigerias-n117billion-rice-import-quota-scheme.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

First, it was petroleum subsidy scam, now it is our rice. How long will Nigerians sell their destiny for a plate of Thai rice? But, wait whose fault is it? Can they thrive if there is no market and appetite for it?

Last year I was in the UAE, stayed in Bur Dubai. I entered a Tesco Franchise store off Al Rolla crescent and picked up a 10kg bag of premium quality rice for 15Dirhams (1Dirham = NGN50). That's NGN750. This implies a 50kg would have cost about NGN3,750.
Now, this is not just about rice. I took a cab, 2015 model Hyundai Elantra to Al Mahktoum, driven by a young man named Hussein. Out of curiosity I asked him how much the car cost. He smiled and answered 55,000Dirhams with 0% interest bank loan and comprehensive 3rd party insurance. That's about NGN2,750,000. But same vehicle at Stallion Group, Nigeria is about NGN4million. So, what is it about?

This is about our greed and abysmal "long-throatedness". The desire to make colossal profit margins without regard to whose detriment is mind-buggling and infernal. So, this is not about whether Nigeria is importing or producing rice. It's just we are greedy and lazy.

All the companies listed in that scam want to make quick and huge money, whereas agribusiness takes patience and requires a long term investment mentality to thrive. The rice value chain in particular is very long. Several processes, so yes, instead of going through all that to refine the quality, they just catapult the funds out to import and then sell at ridiculous prices. But mind you they spend most of their time in such places as I mentioned above, so the price here is not their business. Go and ask Oba Otudeko how much a bag of rice is? If they have their way, a bag of rice will sell at N20,000 and a litre of fuel for N1,000.

Yes, I produce rice. But beyond that, for the sake of the economy, for the sake of our pockets for the sake of several millions of Nigerians that eat rice as just "a Sunday meal". Let's develop Nigeria's rice value chain. And your own contribution to it is by buying it and eating it. The rice the Thai family eat on their table in Bangkok is not international, it is local to them. So, let's stop the negativity attached to the word local.

It has chaff, it has stone, it is colored. Yes. But, with adequate investment, the indigenous quality will attain and can surpass foreign standard. Stone in the rice is not the farmers' fault. Rice is not planted in the air, it grows from the soil. Between harvest and bagging, rice loses over 20% of its weight in form of chaff, husk and other sediments as well as moisture. This is the terrain of capital-intensive investment, which is significantly lacking. The farmer can not be the one to plant and be the one to process at the same time. You cannot be the deceased and be the bereaved at the same time. There are people that view this nairaland everyday. There is somebody who has access to investment. Do you know that with just NGN50million, a major processor can be installed and operated in a strategic rice zone in the country that will service over 500 farmers and turn out over 300,000MT of quality rice per annum. Did I just say just? Yes, because there are people who spend that on just one or two cars, which become obsolete within a couple of months. Rice has no model, yes the varieties but there is no fashion attached to it just the appetite.

Let's wake up and stop our nation from being the global dustbin of everything. From rice, to frozen foods, cars etc. Let's make our nation great. Instead of looking for quick money invest in long term agricultural infrastructure. Every other thing may change, but we will always eat. That's the secret behind the lucrativeness of agriculture. Only that the Thai are using their "loaves of bread to pack our stew", crass exploitation of the highest order.

If 1 million Nigerians buy 1 Derica (small unit that measures 64 times in a 50kg bag) of Nigerian rice for N100 thrice a week. We will succeed in retaining at least NGN300million in the economy per month, and NGN3.6billion per annum that should have escaped as capital flight in importing rice.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Mykellio
em, Erm, beht oga, do,.. land boku na. you sef fit plant rice na. abi?
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by mikolo80: 6:12am On Dec 24, 2015
Sunnycliff:
Nigeria - have a long way to freedom! Corruption, Greed and wickedness is what we see. No body is a Saint in this nation. I better face my front door!!
has nothing to do with the 1% who are corrupt but the 99%who are lazy
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by mikolo80: 6:13am On Dec 24, 2015
Sunnycliff:
Speedy Acceleration of the Youth Employment in Agriculture Program of the last Administration should be sustained and the qualified Agropreneurs empowered and monitored, this will go a long way in saving capital flight and reduce cost of food imports! But will the Change Government not say is a Scam??
they have not answered you in fifty years and you still put hope. your kind faith strong o
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Mykellio: 7:52am On Dec 24, 2015
mikolo80:
em, Erm, beht oga, do,.. land boku na. you sef fit plant rice na. abi?

Clearly, you have not assimilated nor deciphered the crux of my post.

I am a rice producer. We support a thriving targeted cluster of extensive rice plantations in Ebonyi and Abia state. We integrate the value chain through an intricate mix of processing technology and distribution strategies.

So, we are doing our own bit. But, we can not do it alone, which makes the thread imperative. The thread is aimed at enlightening the public and stimulating the inherent local capacity towards action. Dantori, Pavore9 and others are already taking such steps. So, you can either be a player in this or a spectator. Either way, we are poised to contribute our quota to accelerate Nigeria's rice value chain towards economic surplus.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 24, 2015
20bc:

Well its good to have you back, welcome on board..... kiss
kiss thanks
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by mikolo80: 5:16am On Dec 25, 2015
my bad, I skipped thru and missed the part.
Mykellio:
We need a revolution.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/195509-investigation-inside-the-massive-fraud-in-nigerias-n117billion-rice-import-quota-scheme.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

First, it was petroleum subsidy scam, now it is our rice. How long will Nigerians sell their destiny for a plate of Thai rice? But, wait whose fault is it? Can they thrive if there is no market and appetite for it?

for as long as 'you or I' do not SHOW them that it is worth a trailer load.
MARKETERS (ESKIMO ICE SELLING VARIety) can create the market and appetite

Last year I was in the UAE, stayed in Bur Dubai. I entered a Tesco Franchise store off Al Rolla crescent and picked up a 10kg bag of premium quality rice for 15Dirhams (1Dirham = NGN50). That's NGN750. This implies a 50kg would have cost about NGN3,750.
Now, this is not just about rice. I took a cab, 2015 model Hyundai Elantra to Al Mahktoum, driven by a young man named Hussein. Out of curiosity I asked him how much the car cost. He smiled and answered 55,000Dirhams with 0% interest bank loan and comprehensive 3rd party insurance. That's about NGN2,750,000. But same vehicle at Stallion Group, Nigeria is about NGN4million. So, what is it about?

demand and supply

This is about our greed and abysmal "long-throatedness". The desire to make colossal profit margins without regard to whose detriment is mind-buggling and infernal. So, this is not about whether Nigeria is importing or producing rice. It's just we are greedy and lazy.

tis the nature of the beast
and awa laziness(refusal to step up to the plate)

All the companies listed in that scam want to make quick and huge money, whereas agribusiness takes patience and requires a long term investment mentality to thrive.

why should they wait for slow when they can make fast money?

The rice value chain in particular is very long. Several processes, so yes, instead of going through all that to refine the quality, they just catapult the funds out to import and then sell at ridiculous prices. But mind you they spend most of their time in such places as I mentioned above, so the price here is not their business. Go and ask Oba Otudeko how much a bag of rice is? If they have their way, a bag of rice will sell at N20,000 and a litre of fuel for N1,000.

Yes, I produce rice. But beyond that, for the sake of the economy, for the sake of our pockets for the sake of several millions of Nigerians that eat rice as just "a Sunday meal". Let's develop Nigeria's rice value chain. And your own contribution to it is by buying it and eating it. The rice the Thai family eat on their table in Bangkok is not international, it is local to them. So, let's stop the negativity attached to the word local.

again missed this
much respect

It has chaff, it has stone, it is colored. Yes. But, with adequate investment, the indigenous quality will attain and can surpass foreign standard. Stone in the rice is not the farmers' fault. Rice is not planted in the air, it grows from the soil. Between harvest and bagging, rice loses over 20% of its weight in form of chaff, husk and other sediments as well as moisture. This is the terrain of capital-intensive investment, which is significantly lacking. The farmer can not be the one to plant and be the one to process at the same time.

yes he can
he planted and harvested cassava doesn't he?

You cannot be the deceased and be the bereaved at the same time. There are people that view this nairaland everyday. There is somebody who has access to investment. Do you know that with just NGN50million, a major processor can be installed and operated in a strategic rice zone in the country that will service over 500 farmers and turn out over 300,000MT of quality rice per annum. Did I just say just? Yes, because there are people who spend that on just one or two cars, which become obsolete within a couple of months. Rice has no model, yes the varieties but there is no fashion attached to it just the appetite.

can we chat/talk about this in greater detail?

Let's wake up and stop our nation from being the global dustbin of everything.

hear hear

From rice, to frozen foods, cars etc. Let's make our nation great. Instead of looking for quick money invest in long term agricultural infrastructure. Every other thing may change, but we will always eat. That's the secret behind the lucrativeness of agriculture. Only that the Thai are using their "loaves of bread to pack our stew", crass exploitation of the highest order.

If 1 million Nigerians buy 1 Derica (small unit that measures 64 times in a 50kg bag) of Nigerian rice for N100 thrice a week. We will succeed in retaining at least NGN300million in the economy per month, and NGN3.6billion per annum that should have escaped as capital flight in importing rice.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Mykellio
seriously can we talk,
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Mykellio: 7:16am On Dec 26, 2015
mikolo80:
my bad, I skipped thru and missed the part. seriously can we talk,

Yes, we can. Call, SMS or whatsapp 08032615423. Compliments of the season. Cheers.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by benzion72(m): 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2015
The solution to a problem is always in the system. The solution to unemployment in Nigeria is in what we eat. Imagine the amount of rice we consume in the country. if our farmers plant process them and our truck and rail transport them and our warehouses keep them and our market sell them. If we take control of rice production it can employ 2 million youth. at time i do laugh at our predicament white man his planting rice black man is eating it. and he is complaining of unemployment . this also apply to cloth, shoe etc. Just pray we get it right
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by lilreese: 6:49pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nice info
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by mikolo80: 12:16am On Dec 27, 2015
Mykellio:

Yes, we can. Call, SMS or whatsapp 08032615423. Compliments of the season. Cheers.
will do bro
and same to you
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Mykellio: 4:24pm On Jan 01, 2016
Happy New Year to you all. May you be healthier and wealthier in 2016 in Jesus name.
Re: See How Nigerians Are Killing Their Rice Value Chain by Mykellio: 12:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
fasten your seatbelts... YEWA Rice is coming this season with a big bang. From plantation to the plate... every meal is a delicacy.

Watch out!!!!

Click here:
https://www.nairaland.com/2782261/nairalands-no.1-rice-producer...from-plantation#40703507

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Akeredolu Commissions Ultra-modern Piggery In Ondo (photos) / Lai Mohammed, Muhammad Nanono Visit Rice Mills In Kano (Photos) / Photos Of A Big Python Killed In A Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.