Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years (5119 Views)

James Bala Ngilari Jailed For 5 Years For Corruption / I’ll Make Sure Arms Fund Thieves Are Jailed – President Buhari / Why Is Buhari Disgracing This Country Where Ever He Goes? Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by henrixx(m): 3:45pm On Dec 22, 2015
The ruler of Brunei has officially banned the celebration of Christmas in his country.

The wealthy Sultan recently warned residents of the tiny nation that failure to adhere to the rules will attract up to five years in jail.

The report states that the leader’s decision is informed by the fear that the religious holiday will affect the faith of his country.

The rule also states that Muslims caught celebrating Christmas, and non-Muslims who are discovered organising celebrations, could face the lengthy prison sentence.

While non-Muslims are allowed to celebrate the holiday within their own communities, they are mandated not to disclose their plans to the nation’s Muslims – which make up 65 per cent of the nation’s population.

The nation has about 20 per cent non-Muslims, including substantial Buddhist and Christian communities.

A statement by the country’s Ministry of Religious Affairs read: ”These enforcement measures are…intended to control the act of celebrating Christmas excessively and openly, which could damage the aqidah (beliefs) of the Muslim community.”

Before now, Brunei prohibits propagating religion other than Islam to a Muslim, and breaking this is a violation of the penal code of the state’s laws.

Also banned in the country is put putting up Christmas trees, singing religious songs and sending Christmas greetings.

The report quoted the Imams in the Borneo Bulletin saying: ”Some may think that it is a frivolous matter and should not be brought up as an issue. But as Muslims, we must keep it [following other religions’ celebrations] away as it could affect our Islamic faith.”

Meanwhile, some Burnei residents seem to have defiedthe order as they have been celebrating Christmas and uploading pictures to social media as part of a #MyTreedom campaign that celebrates religious freedom.

Source: Dailymail
http://www.informationng.com/?p=339530

1 Share

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by obaiIaIa(m): 3:49pm On Dec 22, 2015
Trash"

2 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by wizzybro10(m): 3:50pm On Dec 22, 2015
Might be a Muslim state
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by yungchief(m): 3:53pm On Dec 22, 2015
Dah 1 concern am

1 Like

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by Khd95(m): 3:54pm On Dec 22, 2015
Firstly,christmass tree decoration nd celebration is paganismsadsad not christlike at all

3 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 3:58pm On Dec 22, 2015
Tomorrow they will say boko haram and ISIS are not muslims.

This is what you get when you live in a muslim dominated society.

5 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by TerryE(m): 4:00pm On Dec 22, 2015
End time things
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by Austin4lif: 4:00pm On Dec 22, 2015
Khd95:
Firstly,christmass tree decoration nd celebration is paganismsadsad
not christlike at all
non sense, are u more holier then the rest of us?

1 Like

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by Khd95(m): 4:02pm On Dec 22, 2015
Austin4lif:
non sense, are u more holier then the rest of us?
lol,no sir,but thats the truth,so deal with itgrin cool

2 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 4:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
Khd95:
not christlike at all

Coming from a confirmed muslim like you.

On which authority do you speak on what is and what is not christian?

Defend your Islamic Kingdom but don't lie that you are a Christian

8 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 4:04pm On Dec 22, 2015
Khd95:
lol,no sir,but thats the truth,so deal with itgrin cool

You can never ever handle the truth.

So decorations is now haram as well?

1 Like

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by ajepako(f): 4:19pm On Dec 22, 2015
With all that wealth. Yet his ears are as flappy as dog's ears

Eti gbola!

grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by NakedEve: 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2015
I swear I am so glad.
Isn't democracy sweet?
The beautiful game of numbers!
I am happy that Brunei is now an Islamic country because of 60% Muslim population.
They are now the majority and their decision(Muslims) must stand from hence forth.

Do not consider the christian MINORITIES there Mr President because that is just what they are--
minorities!

I remember a while ago, last year to be precise there was a debate on the LGBT movement in Nigeria. Christians supported their Muslim brothers and promulgated a law against sexual minorities despite being advised against such.
Many claimed that the LGBT made up less than 0.1% of the population and so were an insignificant number so they should have no rights as their rights were overshadowed by the significant others(democratic setting) in the population.

Well well. How I wish Brunei was actually Nigeria so that Christians would be jailed for showing off Christmas celebrations that cause an offence to the Islamic majority population.

Anyway even I as a heterosexual christian was amazed at such callousness and called into question the sincerity of 'christian love' among Nigerian Christians. I just pray this same thing will happen in Nigeria so that many Christians will be persecuted!

Infact it is high time I helped Muslims in the persecution of these our fake Nigerian Christians
by God's grace.
They seriously need a bitter taste of their own medicine.
They do not love one another.
They are ALL FAKE.

2 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 5:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
NakedEve:
I swear I am so glad.
Isn't democracy sweet?
The beautiful game of numbers!
I am happy that Brunei is now an Islamic country because of 60% Muslim population.
They are now the majority and their decision(Muslims) must stand from hence forth.

Do not consider the christian MINORITIES there Mr President because that is just what they are--
minorities!

I remember a while ago, last year to be precise there was a debate on the LGBT movement in Nigeria. Christians supported their Muslim brothers and promulgated a law against sexual minorities despite being advised against such.
Many claimed that the LGBT made up less than 0.1% of the population and so were an insignificant number so they should have no rights as their rights were overshadowed by the significant others(democratic setting) in the population.

Well well. How I wish Brunei was actually Nigeria so that Christians would be jailed for showing off Christmas celebrations that cause an offence to the Islamic majority population.

Anyway even I as a heterosexual christian was amazed at such callousness and called into question the sincerity of 'christian love' among Nigerian Christians. I just pray this same thing will happen in Nigeria so that many Christians will be persecuted!

Infact it is high time I helped Muslims in the persecution of these our fake Nigerian Christians
by God's grace.
They seriously need a bitter taste of their own medicine. They do not love one another. They are ALL FAKE

Take your fagg0try to Brunei and see if you won't be stoned to death.

LGBT movement is not about civil rights but the right to display your mental disorder and knack for spreading aids.

Nonsense .

By the way has any muslim country given you fagg0ts the right to marry?

The US and EU countries that passed the gay marriage bill are majority Christian do next time try and think with your brain and not your anus when posting here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by NakedEve: 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2015
APCLyingBastard:

Take your fagg0ts to Brunei and see if you won't be stoned to death.

LGBT movement is not about civil rights but the right to display your mental disorder and knack for spreading aids.

Nonsense

My dear I am not a lesbian n I don't really advocate for LGBT rights but I saw the devil in the hearts of Nigerian Christians during the LGBT issue. I watched it all from afar in 3D.

Anyway I still maintain that let what happened in Brunei happen in Nigeria.
Like I said before many Nigerian Christians hypocritically called it a democracy n called for the killing of sexual minorities together with their jailing simply because they had the power of democracy(numbers)..

So let Nigeria become Brunei in Jesus name where the rights of even christian minorities (I pray this comes to pass) become nonexistent.

1 Like

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by NakedEve: 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
APCLyingBastard:

Take your fagg0try to Brunei and see if you won't be stoned to death.

Nonsense .

By the way has any muslim country given you fagg0ts the right to marry?

The US and EU countries that passed the gay marriage bill are majority Christian do next time try and think with your brain and not your anus when posting here.

"The US and EU countries that passed the gay marriage bill are majority Christian do next time try and think with your brain and not your anus when posting here".

Your stupidity Is alarming. In this your one sentence you spelled it out correctly that the U.S and E.U are a christian majority(game of number----- democracy) but despite that protected their sexual minorities by not harassing them, yet in Nigeria the very reverse was the case.

Like I said before I was amazed when Christians on facebk, twitter etc called for the harassment, jailing, burning, hanging and whatever means of putting to death of sexual minorities simply because they are in the majority and they teemed up with their Muslim brothers to do so.

Anyway I can't wait for Islam and Muslims to be in the majority so that everything christian will be banned(when they become minority).

I just hope in Nigeria it will happen in this same generation so that we all will witness it.

And mumu one of the reasons America and co did not harm their gays was because of the fact that the nation had passed through one of the greatest horrors of discrimination in history and had realized what it means to be discriminated against.

You want to jail other people but you don't want to be jailed. Idiot u r a learner. Jesus said; "do unto others what you want to be done unto you".
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 6:07pm On Dec 22, 2015
That should tell you that religious sentiments were not involved in passing the anti get bill in Nigeria but that of culture.

You keep attacking Christianity as if the muslims in the NASS will agree on any concession for gay marriage.
The north has had an anti gay law with sharia law ever since.

Stop attacking Christianity.

NakedEve:

"The US and EU countries that passed the gay marriage bill are majority Christian do next time try and think with your brain and not your anus when posting here".

Your stupidity Is alarming. In this your one sentence you spelled it out correctly that the U.S and E.U are a christian majority(game of number----- democracy) but despite that protected their sexual minorities by not harassing them, yet in Nigeria the very reverse was the case.

Like I said before I was amazed when Christians on facebk, twitter etc called for the harassment, jailing, burning, hanging and whatever means of putting to death of sexual minorities simply because they are in the majority and they teemed up with their Muslim brothers to do so.

Anyway I can't wait for Islam and Muslims to be in the majority so that everything christian will be banned(when they become minority).

I just hope in Nigeria it will happen in this same generation so that we all will witness it.

And mumu one of the reasons America and co did not harm their gays was because of the fact that the nation had passed through one of the greatest horrors of discrimination in history and had realized what it means to be discriminated against.

2 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 6:13pm On Dec 22, 2015
Lest I remind you the gay bill's most controversial issue wasn't the 14yr jail term but the banning of gay marriage.

Even though I see no positive gain from. Being gay I did not support the criminalisation of gay unions. That be said I believe strongly that ones sexual orientation should not be used as a demographic. The guys complained of marginalisation and discrimination. In the West but isn't it ironic that today they want an identity based on their orientation? Can you not see the contradiction?

NakedEve:

My dear I am not a lesbian n I don't really advocate for LGBT rights but I saw the devil in the hearts of Nigerian Christians during the LGBT issue. I watched it all from afar in 3D.

Like I said before many Nigerian Christians hypocritically called it a democracy n called for the killing of sexual minorities together with their jailing simply because they had the power of democracy(numbers)..

So let Nigeria become Brunei in Jesus name where the rights of even christian minorities (I pray this comes to pass) become nonexistent.

1 Like

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by NakedEve: 6:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
APCLyingBastard:

That should tell you that religious sentiments were not involved in passing the anti get bill in Nigeria but that of culture.

You keep attacking Christianity as if the muslims in the NASS will agree on any concession for gay marriage.
The north has had an anti gay law with sharia law ever since.

Stop attacking Christianity.

I have no qualms with Christianity like I said if I did I will curse the white mans Christianity.

I just pray there will be sharia in Nigeria(in the mighty name of Jesus) so that Nigerian Christians will suffer greatly.

After all isn't it Jesus that said that "if ur right hand makes you to sin CUT IT OFF...." what do u tink this meant?

Now tell me isnt that Sharia?.

Sharia is good and of God.
Embrace it to as to judge yourself before you will be judged eternally.
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by NakedEve: 6:31pm On Dec 22, 2015
APCLyingBastard:
Lest I remind you the gay bill's most controversial issue wasn't the 14yr jail term but the banning of gay marriage.

Even though I see no positive gain from. Being gay I did not support the criminalisation of gay unions. That be said I believe strongly that ones sexual orientation should not be used as a demographic. The guys complained of marginalisation and discrimination. In the West but isn't it ironic that today they want an identity based on their orientation? Can you not see the contradiction?

It is better to ban gay marriage(gosh! I hate gay marriage) than to jail people for 14yrs. By jailing them you have effectively destroyed their lives.
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by APCLyingBastard: 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
NakedEve:

I have no qualms with Christianity like I said if I did I will curse the white mans Christianity.

I just pray there will be sharia in Nigeria(in the mighty name of Jesus) so that Nigerian Christians will suffer greatly.

After all isn't it Jesus that said that "if ur right hand makes you to sin CUT IT OFF...." what do u tink this meant?

Now tell me isnt that Sharia?.

Sharia is good and of God.
Embrace it to as to judge yourself before you will be judged eternally.

You are obviously one of those leftist who has been indoctrinated with cultural Marxism.

Christians are not the reason you are a depressed fagg0t.

I know why you guys hate Christianity. Christians largely ignore you but Muslims give you the much needed oppressed image and attention.

This is why you hate Christianity because Christians by and large condemn your way of life with their mouth but will never persecute you. This makes you feel depressed and sick of yourselves. But with muslims and Islam you will get your oppression tag and from there cry persecution and blame society and not your choice for the reason behind your depressed state.

Go and pray to God to heal you from your mental anguish.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by NakedEve: 6:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
APCLyingBastard:

You are obviously one of those leftist who has been indoctrinated with cultural Marxism.

Christians are not the reason you are a depressed fagg0t.

I know why you guys hate Christianity. Christians largely ignore you but Muslims give you the much needed oppressed image and attention.

This is why you hate Christianity because Christians by and large condemn your way of life with their mouth but will never persecute you. This makes you feel depressed and sick of yourselves. But with muslims and Islam you will get your oppression tag and from there cry persecution and blame society and not your choice for the reason behind your depressed state.

Go and pray to God to heal you from your mental anguish.

Lol.
U r having a brain wave.
I am a lady, I am not lesbian but just stating the facts.
I am not depressed also.
It is true that Christianity does not kill but Nigerian Christians do.
They said; "Kill them, burn them!, hang them!, agents of Satan, sons of Sodom!."
I watched it all. Read it all on facebk, twitter etc....
There was never an end to it yet they themselves secretly and openly commit adultery, fornication, prostitution, kidnapping, babyfactory etc.
And So sharia welcome. Welcome to both the North and South, to the East and the West welcome.

Let sharia get both the homosexual and the adulterer, the fornicator as well as the prostitute.
Sharia welcome.
A true christian is never afraid of you.
A true christian embraces you.
You are here to stay forever in Jesus name.
When the right time comes I a female christian will definitely be an enforcer of you oh shariah!

4 Likes

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by smsshola(m): 6:50pm On Dec 22, 2015
My heart goes to the few Christian in the country that won't be able to exercise their freedom of religion and celebrate, just like we that have the freedom to do so.

I pray one day the still voice in the wind will become a normal voice.

1 Like

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by HYENACHIEF(m): 7:14pm On Dec 22, 2015
APCLyingBastard:

Coming from a confirmed muslim like you.

On which authority do you speak on what is and what is not christian?

Defend your Islamic Kingdom but don't lie that you are a Christian

Early Dutch settlers of New York considered St. Nicholas to be their patron saint and practiced a yearly ritual of hanging stockings to receive presents on St. Nicholas Eve, in early December. Washington Irving, in his fanciful History of New York, mentioned that St. Nicholas had a wagon he could ride “over the tops of trees” when he brought “his yearly presents to children.”.
The Dutch word “Sinterklaas” for St. Nicholas evolved
into the English “Santa Claus,” thanks in part to a New
York City printer, William Gilley, who published an
anonymous poem referring to “Santeclaus” in a children’s book in 1821.

See Also: Social Protest For Christmas: Why Dickens
Wrote A Christmas Carol

The poem was also the first mention of a character based on St. Nicholas having a sleigh, in this case pulled by a single reindeer.
Perhaps the best known poem in the English language is “A Visit from St. Nicholas,” or as it’s often called, “The
Night Before Christmas.” Its author, Clement Clarke
Moore, a professor who owned an estate on the west side of Manhattan, would have been quite familiar with the St. Nicholas traditions followed in early 19th century New York.

The poem was first published, anonymously, in a
newspaper in Troy, New York, on December 23, 1823.
Reading the poem today, one might assume that Moore
simply portrayed the common traditions. Yet he actually did something quite radical by changing some of the traditions while also describing features that were entirely new.
For instance, the St. Nicholas gift giving would have taken place on December 5, the eve of St. Nicholas Day. Moore moved the events he describes to Christmas Eve. He also came up with the concept of “St. Nick” having eight reindeer, each of them with a distinctive name.

Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol
The other great work of Christmas literature from the
19th century is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. In writing the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge, Dickens wanted to comment on greed in Victorian Britain. He also made
Christmas a more prominent holiday, and permanently
associated himself with Christmas celebrations.
Dickens was inspired to write his classic story after
speaking to working people in the industrial city of
Manchester, England, in early October 1843. He wrote A Christmas Carol quickly, and when it appeared in
bookstores the week before Christmas 1843 it began to
sell very well. It has never been out of print, and Scrooge is one of the best-known characters in literature.

Santa Claus Drawn by Thomas Nast
The famed American cartoonist Thomas Nast is generally
credited as having invented the modern depiction of
Santa Claus. Nast, who had worked as a magazine
illustrator and created campaign posters for Abraham
Lincoln in 1860, was hired by Harper’s Weekly in 1862.
For the Christmas season he was assigned to draw the
magazine’s cover, and legend has it that Lincoln himself
requested a depiction of Santa Claus visiting Union
troops.
Read more: history1800s.about.com/od/entertainmentsport/a/christmas19thc.htm
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by Johnnoah1st: 7:20pm On Dec 22, 2015
NakedEve:

can someone take dis thing to the nearest panel beaters, her brain need to be rewired

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by DonXavi(m): 7:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
Are you trying to play smart here or are you in reality naive? I guess you've heard of Uthman Danfodio. Go and figure out how Islam was propagated throughout northern Nigeria with the sword, the same thing Boko haram, isis, Alshabab, alqaida and the Taliban are doing.

Imagine a whole country with 20%+ Christian population banning the open celebration of Christmas. It's really incredibly absurd how insensitive this people can be. 

You all called for Donald Thrump's head, because of the statement he made some weeks ago about banning Muslims from entering into the US which was prompted by the killing of innocent US citizens by some islamists. Though I equally am not in support of his views but you Muslims have shown a lot of intolerance over the years towards other religions wherever you're the majority.

imagine in a country like Saudi Arabia where you're banned from entering with a Bible, and if you do; you go to jail for a long time. A place where you're not allowed to practice any other religion except Islam.

I will advice you Muslims to go do a soul search and tell yourselves the truth about the disaster and catastrophe your religion is causing in this world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by theSpark(m): 8:04pm On Dec 22, 2015
Not surprised in anyway. They are usually that intolerant in that region. Why again did they call for Trump's head
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by Omon605(m): 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
Khd95:
not christlike at all

Is really funny, which means all the killing and chopping of someone's head and reading Koran and shouting Allah is great is Islamiclike. Just the way you put it
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by x123xlolls(m): 8:44pm On Dec 22, 2015
Khd95:
not christlike at all
TrueTalk
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by Omon605(m): 8:51pm On Dec 22, 2015
NakedEve:

You want to jail other people but you don't want to be jailed. Idiot u r a learner. Jesus said; "do unto others what you want to be done unto you".

Yes you are correct and you said it all the US/EU are Christian dominant. They have respect for individual right. You can choose to become a goat or fowl is you like so long it doesn't affect the next person in anyway, you do it within your moral concept with any other person or persons whom agreed to play along with you. If I see someone practicing gay or lesbian how does it affects you? How does it affects the price of commodities in the market place?. We should learn to mind what concerns us. We all have the right to be morally discipline or useless depending on individuals choice because on the last day you will give individual account of yourself, is not going to be collective account. If I may ask have you heard any case of anybody been coerced to turn gay or lesbian? because I haven't see or hear, but I have see the other way round. My candid example is the chibok girls whom were coerced with guns, cutlasses, bombs, explosives and video to accept a faith they never no anything about. Please let's learn to say what is wrong and right at the right time and let's the issue of religion because secondary in our dealings. Than living in religious sentiment
Re: See Country Where Christmas Celebrants Are Jailed For Five Years by x123xlolls(m): 8:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
DonXavi:
Are you trying to play smart here or are you in reality naive? I guess you've heard of Uthman Danfodio. Go and figure out how Islam was propagated throughout northern Nigeria with the sword, the same thing Boko haram, isis, Alshabab, alqaida and the Taliban are doing.

Imagine a whole country with 20%+ Christian population banning the open celebration of Christmas. It's really incredibly absurd how insensitive this people can be. 

You all called for Donald Thrump's head, because of the statement he made some weeks ago about banning Muslims from entering into the US which was prompted by the killing of innocent US citizens by some islamists. Though I equally am not in support of his views but you Muslims have shown a lot of intolerance over the years towards other religions wherever you're the majority.

imagine in a country like Saudi Arabia where you're banned from entering with a Bible, and if you do; you go to jail for a long time. A place where you're not allowed to practice any other religion except Islam.

I will advice you Muslims to go do a soul searching and tell yourselves the truth about the disaster and catastrophe your religion is causing in this world.

Trash...

If to say every other nation with %30 muslims will ban christians from entering the nation, it will be like saudi! peace full nation with beautiful lifestyle....

christians are the cause of all this trash

#I Support Saudi#

(1) (2) (Reply)

See FFK In Prison When He Sniffed The Lies Of Lai Mohammed (pic) / Saraki Threatens To Resign As Senate President Next Week / Politicians And Military Officers Are Secretly Planning A Coup- Burutai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.