Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. (16737 Views)

BBC: Boko Haram Have Inflicted Heavy Casualties On Nigerian Forces / Wives Of Boko Haram Militants Surrender In Borno / Buhari Never Said America Was Aiding Boko Haram, Adesina tells BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by naptu2: 7:53am On Dec 24, 2015
[size=14pt]Nigeria Boko Haram: Militants 'close to defeat' - Buhari[/size]

24 December 2015 - Africa

The Nigerian military is close to completely defeating Islamist Boko Haram militants, President Muhammadu Buhari has told the BBC.

He said the militants could no longer mount conventional attacks against security forces or population centres.

"I think, technically, we have won the war," he said.

The president has given the army until the end of the month to defeat Boko Haram, whose six-year insurgency has devastated north-eastern Nigeria.

But the BBC's Bashir Sa'ad Abdullahi in the capital, Abuja, says that the deadline is likely to be extended as Boko Haram is still bombing areas despite losing towns under its control.

Critics of the government argue that it has exaggerated the scale of its success against the militants, and that each time the army claims to have wiped out Boko Haram, the militants have quietly rebuilt.

The insurgency is said to have killed some 17,000 people and left more than two million homeless.

The jihadists have been forced to cut back on suicide bombings as a result of the military action against them, President Buhari said.

"Boko Haram has reverted to using improvised explosive devices (IEDs)," he said. "They have now been reduced to that."

"Boko Haram is an organised fighting force, I assure you, [but] we have dealt with them."

He said the militants had all but been driven out from Adamawa and Yobe states and remained a force only in its heartland of Borno state.

"They cannot now marshal forces and attack towns or attack military installations and so on as they did before.

"I don't think this is mad talking."

The president said that Nigeria had reorganised and reequipped the military. which had received training from the British, the Americans and the French.

"A lot is being done," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35173618
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by buygala(m): 7:53am On Dec 24, 2015
So Muhammadu Victor Buhari is now President of Britain shocked ... He talks more to BBC than he talks to his countrymen sad

Instead of our President talking to us directly, he takes his yarns to Foreign media, who in turn tell us what our President says undecided

Instead, he sends Mr Lie and Garbage Shehu to feed us expired dogfood, without even showing our collective intelligence some respect by making the lies and silly propaganda a bit plausible angry

Thank God he even presented the 2016 National Budget to our National Assembly.... I won't be surprised if the 2017 budget is presented to the British Parliament,in order to avoid his being 'misquoted or 'misunderstod' undecided

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by naptu2: 7:54am On Dec 24, 2015
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by ifeanyija(m): 7:55am On Dec 24, 2015
Lol, we hear
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by stanech: 7:55am On Dec 24, 2015
wishful thinking

Nigerians have to be vigilant now because BH may strike just to prove him wrong.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Keystonn: 7:57am On Dec 24, 2015
Bokoharam is an Islamic terrorist set

Not militants

Pls this is an insult on we nigerdeltans

58 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by funnynation(m): 7:59am On Dec 24, 2015
I guess this man don't know the meaning of defeat.. We dey watch.. I pray it come to an end..
When i was young, i decided to go to a
medical school
At the entrance exams, we were asked
to rearrange the alphabets
P N E I S to form the
Name of an important human body part
which is most useful when erect,
Those who answered S P I N E are doctors
today
the rest of us are on facebook/bbm/
twitter/today..
Guess what we spelt? #4rmMyMentor
#irep042 #irepnsukka #abujafinest #jan9
FunnyNation Comedian coming soon!
My signature....

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by naptu2: 7:59am On Dec 24, 2015
BBC Africa @BBCAfrica

Nigerian President @MBuhari tells BBC "technically we have won the war" against Boko Haram

[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CW-J1c0WEAAMTN5.jpg:small[/img]

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/679913620654927872/photo/1
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Rednaxelot: 8:01am On Dec 24, 2015
This is what Lai mohamed should have said instead of the statement similar to lie. It makes the situation seem there is now a conflict of information between the President and his minister of information.
Perhaps Lai doesn't know he naw belongs to the whole Nigeria rather than the propaganda machine he used to be for APC.

It is so obvious from what we are seeing of recent that we are getting near being triumphant against the terrorist group.

If the arms deal had been properly executed for the purpose, the indulgence would probably have died down.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by politricks: 8:02am On Dec 24, 2015
This is better than that lie Lai muhammed was saying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by seunmsg(m): 8:03am On Dec 24, 2015
Kudos to gallant men of the Nigerian Army. Haters of the current administration may not like this news but truth be told, boko haram has been seriously dealt with and weakened.

This success notwithstanding, NA needs to put in more effort to prevent them from regrouping. They regrouped after their defeat in 2009 and became brutal. This time around, efforts must be put in place to ensure they completely go into extinction without the opportunity of regrouping.

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by edlion57(m): 8:03am On Dec 24, 2015
Make I hear small sound next yr....even if na fire works....na den I will bcome a ww

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by pretydiva(f): 8:04am On Dec 24, 2015
Kill them all. We shall overcome dis in jesus name

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by harmless011: 8:04am On Dec 24, 2015
More strength to the military before long boko haram will be history

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by nonesense: 8:04am On Dec 24, 2015
grin
Awon werey oniro
They wan initiate another bomb blast Again

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Opiosko: 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
Very close

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Demmocrats(m): 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Demmocrats(m): 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
The Nigerian military is close to completely defeating Islamist Boko Haram militants, President Muhammadu Buhari has told the BBC. He said the militants could no longer mount conventional attacks against security forces or population centres.

what ever has a beginning has an end, we are nearing the end of Boko Haram.

I can remember the time of Bakassi Boys, Niger Delta militants now Boko Haram.

It always takes a David to end the rule of a Goliath,

My Sai Buhari is the Biblical David.

Sai Buhari.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by bonechamberlain(m): 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
a president that always uses foreign media to air his views, God help us in this country.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by naptu2: 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
Keystonn:
Bokoharam is an Islamic terrorist set

Not militants

Pls this is an insult on we nigerdeltans

The BBC usually do not like using the word "terrorist" because "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by allanphash7(m): 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
This lai is a confused man o

Imagine wetin your boss talk here now
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by ojeota(f): 8:05am On Dec 24, 2015
I thought he has already defeated them according to lie Mohammed

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by 1miccza: 8:06am On Dec 24, 2015
Now this is clearer.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Akinz0126(m): 8:06am On Dec 24, 2015
You are winning the war against terrorist.Who is now the terrorist?

I expect baba to call off his dogs after rall the haunting is over you already became the president by crook and nook.

Give them what they want after all you strike a deal with them.Why not give them what you promised them.....Government of lie and deceit

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by abbaapple: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
True tlk my presdo!!! But still Wailers must wail grin de will surely die wailing! undecided
God bless u sir!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Opiosko: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
stanech:
wishful thinking

Nigerians have to be vigilant now because BH may strike just to prove him wrong.

You are wrong. Bokoharry can order em to stop any time he feels he has attained his goals and covered his track

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by Pope22(m): 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
Buhari.....a comedian!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by thefakestan: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
We will

We are close
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by AgreatMan: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
The war on terrorism is never won on a battle field, after all the lives n billions the united states spent on Al qaeda, they ended up with a more deadly isis. our religious organizations needs to alter certain violent parts of their doctrines because they are no longer relevant in the modern world. Even at that, some radical people (like d Ombatse cult)with no religious affiliations might just spring up, the evil series "the following" comes to mind. It is a continous effort.

On Buhari's speech, I believe there is a lot a lot of difference between what PMB has claimed and the PR goof that Lai pulled yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by fitzmayowa: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
Pope22:
Buhari.....a comedian!! cheesy

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by kolnel: 8:07am On Dec 24, 2015
I guess this a rejoinder to an earlier article by liar Mohammed
Admittedly this new govt has really tackled insurgency heads on and the results are obvious and massive like never before
There are still mile stones to be covered
Kudos to the pmb team

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Tells BBC, Boko Haram: Militants 'close To Defeat'. by slim19(m): 8:08am On Dec 24, 2015
I thought mr liar said they've been defeated

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oby Ezekwesili Denies Campaigning For APC In 2014 / Border Reopening Will Cripple Nigeria’s Economy, Rep Warns / Photo Speaks: Politician Vs Voters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.