Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science (22197 Views)

Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science / Please Advise: Msc In Petroleum Engineering Or Computer Programming. / Computer Science: Where Can I Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by fattbabakay(m): 8:04pm On Jan 04, 2016
k7teen:
Please nairalanders I need your help and advise based on what you think, real life situations and general knowledge
I personally I would like to study computer science because of my Intrest in programming and all sorts. bit people say computer engineering is more preferred ,please I want some advise.... and the really issue here is in my school (oou) am currently studying comp engineering but planning to switch to science, its only hardwares that's being taught and it really bores me..
any suggestions pls
You might wanna see >>> http://www.eduregard.com/computer-engineering-vs-electrical-engineering/
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by bigtt76(f): 8:06pm On Jan 04, 2016
Very true and correct. The only issue here is the location. Nigerian Universities save for few privately owned ones, the rest lack motivation to be self-reliant undecided OP only need to focus and chart his/her future path and follow it to conclusion .....don't wait for those archaic lecturers

vinqq:
Guy I dont want you to make a mistake in your life.You can be anything you want to be with computer engineering.which level are you?Let me tell you my story.
I am in the university of Buea in Cameroon,studying CE.3rd year.I visited a classmate who's very good at programming.Ranked 2nd in Cameroon on GitHub,i learned from him that you can do anything you want to do.You don't need to wait for the lecturer.This year,our school had 11 representatives for Google summer of code.Even non engineering students are mentored by senior students to partipate.
You want to program,then program on your own.Follow online tutorials of the language you want to learn.Don't forget that you need to learn the hardware architecture on which you are programming.Mostly embedded systems.Stick to engineering.It cuts across all fields of life.If you need mentorship,add me on whatsapp +237672072724 and i'll be glad to help.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by morganwizzy55(m): 8:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
If I have the opportunity, I could have done both, C.S is bout networking, programming and lot more, while C. E, Is all bout the theoretical aspect. Both matters in the society, Im focusing on my C.E... Happy new yr
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
Kyase:

aluta spiders
,naso my guy,are still in poly,if not which session did u leave?.i left poly 2014/2015 session afta my hnd and i rep electrical.who knows i may knw u because we share lab and class room block with comp. Eng.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by darkhorizon: 8:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
k7teen:
Please nairalanders I need your help and advise based on what you think, real life situations and general knowledge
I personally I would like to study computer science because of my Intrest in programming and all sorts. bit people say computer engineering is more preferred ,please I want some advise.... and the really issue here is in my school (oou) am currently studying comp engineering but planning to switch to science, its only hardwares that's being taught and it really bores me..
any suggestions pls
. Why dont ynu do Physics;you get to do programming(c,fortran,mathematica,c++,matlab etc...) ,hardware(electronics,digital electronics),and also you are taught Quantum electronics(the future of computing),which csc,and c.eng lack,you also get to do satelites and communication systems...etc...all in Physics. The thing people fail to realise is that a physics degree,actually lets you diversify to all fields:be it in csc,cve,ee,me,even in physics itself.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kyase(m): 8:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
habib55:
,naso my guy,are still in poly,if not which session did u leave?.i left poly 2014/2015 session afta my hnd and i rep electrical.who knows i may knw u because we share lab and class room block with comp. Eng.
likewise brother, but you guys are always ahead of us.
we virtually copied everything from you guys
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by BigBen10: 8:58pm On Jan 04, 2016
k7teen:
any suggestions pls

don't waste your time with computer engineering. go.for computer science especially since you say u are interested in programming. if you want to know about hardware study elect/elect.

I personally believe that computer engineering course should be scrapped and even elect and computer science become one department.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Generalkorex(m): 9:02pm On Jan 04, 2016
k7teen
cross to mechatronics if itz available
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Borosilicate(m): 9:13pm On Jan 04, 2016
computer engineering is better because it gives u a better view and opportunities.... it is as well a creative
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by agoadiv(m): 9:20pm On Jan 04, 2016
Kyase:
computer engineering.
a witness talking here.
oga pls can u advice someone dat is below average in mathematics to study computer engineering? will he be able to cope??pls help
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Austinleo: 9:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
To Add to that too, Computer Engineering is more specialized and Could give you all the knowledge you want. Truth is Computer Science touch base everything without a specific skill being learnt. Engineering is specific. If he wants to be good in programming then, finish your Bachelors and get trained in Programming as a Certified programmer. Mind you no school 4 year computer Science training trains you to be a real Certified IT Admin, Engr, or Architect. You need to advance and Learn more by getting Certified. Just a piece of Advice. I am an IT Engr and that is all i can say per my own opinion. So even if you Do computer Science, You still need Specialized training to be what you want to be.

k7teen:
any suggestions pls
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by laykhorn(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2016
Luukasz:
Its just a description and besides computer science is the best.
Mark Zuckerberg,Larry paige,Serge brin,Jeff bezos are all computer scientist.
Zuck never finished and he learnt Programming from his Engineer dad as a kid, Bezos didnt study Comp Sci, he studied Electrical Eng and CS, the twin brother of CPE which is the equivalent of Electronics Eng.
You went on from saying CE is a little to CS to those who studied CS and are doing great... Who said its what they learnt in School that gets them where they are? Do we have any of their equivalent in Nigeria? Atleast right now? How many CS graduates do we have? We are comparing both courses, not their alumnus
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kamxin(m): 10:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
.Google
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by ifesky09(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Sory computer science has its place,but computer engineering swallows up computer science. Computer engineering handles hardware,programming,electronics,artificial inteligence,networking and transmission.etc u just need to develop urself very well in d areas u want. Note that both courses especially computer engineering makes u relevant in almost all aspect of life
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kamxin(m): 10:23pm On Jan 04, 2016
The necessary thing is which one offer job placement or which one fetch you job without stress In Nigerian job market?

I think CS can easily fetch you good job from the comfort of your room or make you self employed inside your bedroom, rake your dollars to an envious dimension. This is the most important thing for me while choosing a course of study.

CE is too good for a foreign market, but I doubt it seriously in Nigerian market.

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kamxin(m): 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
ifesky09:
Sory computer science has its place,but computer engineering swallows up computer science.

Swallow in Jacking all trade and mastering none.

In CS all these you mentioned are studied, but Programming is thought as Core, for there is no computer without a program.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by linearity: 10:53pm On Jan 04, 2016
Go with computer engineering. Computer science deals with programming, statistics and algorithm.

Computer engineering deals with the application of these programming, statistic and algorithms in embedded systems, IOT - Internet of things, electronics, etc in a way to make them useful to mankind.

Which means, a computer science outputs are inputs into computer engineering and you also get to learn programming and algorithm as a computer engineering student, which means you get the good side of computer science and also be able to apply them into engineering, which the science student do not have.

The truth is, you will not miss anything on the computer science end, and the computer scientist will wish he was the one that turned his/her finished codes and algorithms into engineering applications that revolutionized the way we do things today.

At the end though, the bridge are narrow as in high end research laboratories, there are little difference between both as the engineer codes are proficient as the programmer and the computer scientist have some Noval applications and designs that you would have bet was done by an engineer.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by nigeriancuban: 10:54pm On Jan 04, 2016

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by monex(m): 11:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
omohayek:

What's the point of sticking with a course of study in which you aren't really interested? Most of the people here telling you to stick to computer engineering have no idea what they're talking about - computer science is not about learning particular databases, networking technologies or programming languages, but about fundamental concepts such as analysis of algorithms, complexity theory, operating systems, artificial intelligence, distributed computing, etc. In other words, instead of picking up trendy technologies that will be obsolete within a few years of your graduation, you learn concepts which are timeless and will be helpful to you throughout your career.

Even if you allow career concerns to outweigh your personal preferences, you have to ask yourself: just how many real opportunities are there in Nigeria for a computer engineer? Where will you get to design ASICs, work on VLSI or do any of the other cool jobs which require a computer engineering degree? Where are the likes of Intel, AMD and Nvidia to offer you a job which will use your skills? You don't need a degree in anything to tinker about with PC hardware, to build made-to-order PCs, or even to play with devices like the Raspberry PI, so that can't be the reason to say you'll stick with computer engineering. At least with a CS degree you have the possibility of working remotely, or benefiting from outsourcing work.
@Op I quoted this post so you could read it. while he doesn't suggest a direct course to you, he provides facts about the two options. facts which i couldn't find in other posts.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Bishops10(m): 11:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Kyase:

taaah stop feeling.
I studied computer engineering, even at OND level we were taught, programming and networking in addition to the hardware.
so I don't know what you are talking about.
go ask in kadpoly
Back then we were taught FORTRAN
I have talked much on this issue outside Nairaland,Computer Engineering Technology is ahead of Computer science and ICT.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by paloncy: 11:23pm On Jan 04, 2016
Computer engineering is actually Good but computer science is better cos it has more job opportunities but I prefer havin both knowledge
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
my guy, go for computer Engr if you wanna school in Nigeria cos if you go for the science don't think you will visit the lab for one day.

your lecturers go use you play. do the Engr and, during your I.T then do a private lesson that will give you a certificate.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
my guy, go for computer Engr if you wanna school in Nigeria cos if you go for the science don't think you will visit the lab for one day.

your lecturers go use you play. do the Engr and, during your I.T then do a private lesson that will give you a certificate. I am a computer scientist and I regret0doing the course here.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 04, 2016
Bishops10:

I have talked much on this issue outside Nairaland,Computer Engineering Technology is ahead of Computer science and ICT.
you are right bro. computer science nah jonsing, I'd rather go for Engr, then go for a certified course under computer science.

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kamxin(m): 11:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
shadowgwalker:

your lecturers go use you play. do the Engr and, during your I.T then do a private lesson that will give you a certificate. I am a computer scientist and I regret0doing the course here.

Ask successful CS, the lecturers contribution will take you no where. You wasted your time waiting for lecturers.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Kamxin(m): 11:35pm On Jan 04, 2016
Bishops10:

Where have CE taken you to?
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Luukasz(m): 11:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
laykhorn:

Zuck never finished and he learnt Programming from his Engineer dad as a kid, Bezos didnt study Comp Sci, he studied Electrical Eng and CS, the twin brother of CPE which is the equivalent of Electronics Eng.
You went on from saying CE is a little to CS to those who studied CS and are doing great... Who said its what they learnt in School that gets them where they are? Do we have any of their equivalent in Nigeria? Atleast right now? How many CS graduates do we have? We are comparing both courses, not their alumnus
Zuck's dad was never an engineer he's dad was a dentist while his mom was a psychiatrist he's father only hired a software developer to tutor em and he also studied C.science at harvard thou he later dropped out.
While Jeff had two bachelors degree in Elect eng and C.science and he ones worked at the C.science field of WSJ.
Take it or leave it C.S is better than C.E thou they both need each other but C.S is the best.

1 Like

Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by mechanics(m): 11:42pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nt comparable, computer engineering make sense more than computer science, one wil have d benefits of becoming a certified member of C0REN and NSE.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
Kamxin:

Ask successful CS, the lecturers contribution will take you no where. You wasted your time waiting for lecturers.
actually, you are right. but I corrected my mistakes though, I had to enroll in some other private classes to acquire certifications.

at list I graduated with 2.1 plus my certification in compTia A+ and N+
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 05, 2016
k7teen:
any suggestions pls

Now u have it all, best of luck in ur choice.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by darkhorizon: 3:21am On Jan 05, 2016
Still no one to back the claim that Physics would be a better course of study,no qualms...i guess i'd just leave the ignorant in their place. And to those saying Comp. Eng,just because of the Eng attached to it,i pity your shallow mind.
Re: Computer Enginnering Or Computer Science by Wisepac: 3:22am On Jan 05, 2016
k7teen:
any suggestions pls
what level are you @op , am a comp sci also in oou

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Journey Slashing Pips In The FX World / What Does The Future Hold For Metallurgy And Materials Engineering Students??? / 7 Ways Nigerian Bosses Abuse Their Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.