Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu (901 Views)

Buhari Blast Tinubu: You’re Not The National Leader Of Apc / El Rufai 'insults' Osinbajo - Déjà Vu (Vanguard) / Zahira Buhari Blast Gambia President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by ITbomb(m): 2:42am On Dec 25, 2015
BUHARI: BLAST FROM THE PAST
NIGERIAN MILITARY IS SEEN AS LOSING SUPPORT
By CLIFFORD D. MAY

Published: May 1, 1984

LAGOS, Nigeria, April 29— Four months after seizing power, Nigeria's military leaders appear to be suffering an erosion of popular support.
Last Dec. 31, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari led a group of young officers in a coup against the civilian Government of President Shehu Shagari, saying the takeover was necessary to save Nigeria, Africa's richest and most populous nation, from economic collapse.

The military intervention appeared at the time to enjoy enthusiastic support from a broad range of Nigeria's population.
Many intellectuals argued that the corruption and incompetence of the Shagari administration had made drastic action both necessary and inevitable. Traders, merchants and people in the streets welcomed the soldiers and looked forward to a quick improvement in their standard of living.

Growing Disappointment
Recently, however, there seems to be growing disappointment with both the military Government's approach and pace.
''Since coming to power, this Government has not found a single problem ,'' said Dr. Olu Onagoruwa, a prominent lawyer and a longtime opponent of the Shagari administration. ''But it has managed to alienate the judiciary, the press, labor and students - all the groups that supported it just a few months ago.''
Critics of the military Government point out that it has yet to present its budget. Loan negotiations with the International Monetary Fund continue but Western economists say that Nigeria and the I.M.F. appear to be further apart now than during the final days of the Shagari administration.
Early indications that General Buhari would agree to devalue Nigeria's currency, liberalize trade and reduce domestic petroleum subsidies have so far not materialized. Prices Have Climbed
In addition, prices for food and other essential commodities, which fell in the first weeks after the coup largely because of the presence of soldiers in the marketplaces, have now returned to or exceeded their levels before the coup. Unemployment has been rising, and many of the imported raw materials and spare parts needed to keep factories running have been lacking.

Critics note further that political activity and even debate have been banned and some students organizations have been outlawed. There has been a clampdown on Nigeria's press, and the country's traditionally independent judiciary has also seen its role sharply diminished.
''At the moment we're looking at a clear movement toward authoritarian dictatorship,'' said Stanley N. Macebuh, executive editor of The Guardian, an independent newspaper that had often taken the Shagari administration to task. ''It's a trend that disturbs a lot of people, not least those who welcomed the change of government.''
Spokesmen for the military leadership maintain that they know what they are doing and refuse to be rushed. They deny the charges of inaction, saying that steps have been taken. Trials Being Prepared
The Government, they say, has put much energy into investigating the corruption of the Shagari administration and in preparing tribunals to try the accused, close to 500 of whom are now under detention.
Officials say about 2,000 illegal aliens have been ejected from the country and several thousand people have been detained in a crackdown on suspected criminals and Moslem extremists.
They say Nigeria's bloated bureaucracy has been streamlined through the dismissal of thousands of officials and civil servants.

Three weeks ago an agreement was reached in London on converting a part of Nigeria's uninsured trade debts into loans.
The Government's critics respond that the economic initiatives treat symptoms rather than causes and aid the larger issue of how to restructure Nigeria's economy.

A Western diplomat said General Buhari ''could have accomplished so much if he had moved quickly and boldly in the early days when his popularity was still so high and when he could have credibly blamed everything on Shagari.''
Sounds familiar?
Re: Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by Nobody: 2:43am On Dec 25, 2015
Coming back

Re: Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by kodded(m): 3:02am On Dec 25, 2015
hmmm
Re: Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by Thinkerspool: 3:03am On Dec 25, 2015
We can only be optimistic this time around that such drama will not unfold again.

You may want to join the league of readers and lovers of great books. Thinkerspool WhatsApp and Facebook group is specifically created for whoever want to connect with like minded individuals.
While others gist about season movies, we talk about books, educate ourselves and everyone learns from everybody.
+2348184419936 (Thinkerspool)
www.nairaland.com/2818120/creative-whatsapp-group-strictly-readers
Re: Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by kodded(m): 3:41am On Dec 25, 2015
ITbomb:
BUHARI: BLAST FROM THE PAST
NIGERIAN MILITARY IS SEEN AS LOSING SUPPORT
By CLIFFORD D. MAY

Published: May 1, 1984

LAGOS, Nigeria, december 24— seven months after seizing power, Nigeria's president appear to be suffering an erosion of popular support.
Last March 28, President. Mohammed Buhari led a group o old politicians in a coup against the present Government of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathab, saying the change was necessary to save Nigeria, Africa's richest and most populous nation, from economic collapse.

The ąpc intervention appeared at the time to enjoy enthusiastic support from a broad range of Nigeria's population.
Many intellectuals argued that the corruption and incompetence of the Jonathan administration had made drastic action both necessary and inevitable. Traders, merchants and people in the streets welcomed the new party (apc) and looked forward to a quick improvement in their standard of living.

Growing Disappointment
Recently, however, there seems to be growing disappointment with both the apc Government's approach and pace.
''Since coming to power, this Government has not found a single problem ,'' Mr. Femi Falana SAN , a prominent lawyer and a longtime opponent of the Jonathan administration. ''But it has managed to alienate the judiciary, the press, labor and students - all the groups that supported it just a few months ago.''
Critics of the present Government point out that it has yet to present its budget. Loan negotiations with the International Monetary Fund continue but Western economists say that Nigeria and the I.M.F. appear to be further apart now than during the final days of the Jonathan administration.
Early indications that President Buhari would agree to devalue Nigeria's currency, liberalize trade and reduce domestic petroleum subsidies have so far not materialized. Prices Have Climbed
In addition, prices for food and other essential commodities, which fell in the first weeks after the coup largely because of the presence of Department of Security Service (DSS) in the marketplaces, have now returned to or exceeded their levels before the election. Unemployment has been rising, and many of the imported raw materials and spare parts needed to keep factories running have been lacking.

Critics note further that political activity and even debate on social media may been banned and some students organizations have been outlawed. There has been a clampdown on Nigeria's press, and the country's traditionally independent judiciary has also seen its role sharply diminished.
''At the moment we're looking at a clear movement toward authoritarian dictatorship,'' said Gov. Ayodele Fayose executive governor of ekiti state that had often taken the Jonathan administration to task. ''It's a trend that disturbs a lot of people, not least those who welcomed the change of government.''
Spokesmen to the president Mr. Femi Adeshina maintain that they know what they are doing and refuse to be rushed. They deny the charges of inaction, saying that steps have been taken. Trials Being Prepared
The Government, they say, has put much energy into investigating the corruption of the Jonathan administration and in preparing tribunals to try the accused, close to 500 of whom are now under detention like Dasuki and Dokpesi.
Officials say about 2000 university workers have been sacked from the work and several thousand people have been detained in a crackdown on suspected Biafra protesters and Shittes followers.
They say Nigeria's bloated bureaucracy has been streamlined through the dismissal of thousands of officials and civil servants.

Three weeks ago an agreement was reached in Washington DC on converting a part of Nigeria's uninsured trade debts into loans.
The Government's critics respond that the economic initiatives treat symptoms rather than causes and aid the larger issue of how to restructure Nigeria's economy.

A Bbc political analyst said president Buhari ''could have accomplished so much if he had moved quickly and boldly in the early days when his popularity was still so high and when he could have credibly blamed everything on Jonathan.''
Sounds familiar?

dejjavu
Re: Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by nnachukz(m): 6:12am On Dec 25, 2015
We are in a cycle. Buhari has not changed.
Re: Buhari: Blast From The Past - Déjà Vu by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 25, 2015
Yes the story sound similar to what was obtainable during the first advent of buhari but so was the situation before buhari in the two periods. Corrupt and reckless politicians that squandered gains from over bloated oil price and encountered similar oil slump at the twilight of their first term. Buhari in his first few months in power was faced with extreme crash crunch as a result of oil slump of 81/82 resulting from scotland induced oil glut. Nigerians were impatient with him and they expected him to feed 5000 with 5 fishes. Maitasine sect was as deadly as boko haram if not worse not some islamic group as the OP hypocritically described them...they were destroyed by buhari regime in less than a year. The incipient stage of his regime was difficult for the people and also for his government because aside from the cash crunch as we have today he also focussed on the long term progress of the country instead of some short term remedies that were suggested...those short term prescribed remedies that were later adopted by his predecessors left us where we are today.. Same situation as 1982. Need I mention that his later months in power were the only time in our history where we sold refined oil instead of crude oil, they were the only time in our history when import waivers are given to raw materials instead of exotic official cars, the only time in our history when we produced our own bullets courtesy DICON kaduna, the second and the last time in our history when people return stolen fund without any judicial order Muritala took the first place... As a country we have an opportunity to watch an episode of history replay itself. In 1985 Babangida took power from Buhari and since then we have completed a cycle back to Buhari... 30 years of same story of bad road, bad electricity, corruption, poverty, unemployment.... Buhari repeatedly insist that Nigeria would have been a different place had he been given a chance to complete what he started in 1983. As a patriotic Nigerian I wish to give him a chance to prove himself and show to us the we actually wasted those 30 years. I am not in a hurry to follow the IBB route that we are all sure will bring us back to the same position. As an opposition I will rather watch to see if Buhari will succeed and criticisize him where he err instead of wishing and pray that he fails so that I can feel good about myself. As a christian I will rather Buhari succeed so that I can spite corrupt church goer that call themselves christians. As an easterner I will rarher have all federal roads in my region and 2nd niger bridge completed than have my favourite candidate as the president, as a westerner I will rather have lagos-ibadan road motorable and ny states economical viable instead of having my preffered president, as a south southerner I will rather dream of having multiple bonny island in my region and free education for my kin instead of running back to the creek because my favourite son lost an election

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Pms Pump Price: Most Fct Filling Stations Comply With Fg Directives(leadership) / Nairaland Challenges APC Supporters! MUST READ / Message To Nnamdi KANU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.