Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues (1153 Views)

Yemi Osinbanjo Should Be Extremely Careful / A Man's Tweet Addressed To Prof Osinbanjo On Governance Goes Viral (screenshot) / Dolapo Osinbajo Cuts Her Birthday Cake With Husband, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by davidmark4naija: 1:11pm On Dec 25, 2015
25th December 2015.
Your Excellency,
Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo,
The Vice President,
Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Dear Sir,

A REQUEST FROM A CONCERNED NIGERIAN YOUTH ON THE ECONOMY AND OTHER ISSUES.

Firstly, I want to wish you, your family, colleagues, the FG, and all Nigerians a very Merry Christmas and a much better 2016. I also want to specifically pray that the Lord will grant you and the FG more wisdom and grace to be able to move Nigeria forward.

I am sorry for sending this letter to the media, thereby making it open for all to see. But I believe this will make it get to you faster than sending a hard copy to your office which will subjected to a lot of office bureaucracies. I also chose to write to you because I believe you do have a listening ear. Sir, I am writing to complain and also suggest solutions to the things I will be complaining about. It is my utmost prayer to take my suggestions into consideration.

Sir, you need not be told that the easiest way to for this administration to fail is to look for who to blame for Nigeria’s challenges. Can you imagine a 45 year old man complaining and lamenting that he is a failure because he is an orphan? It is quite laughable, isn’t it? Nigerians want to see progress in 2016 and not hear complains and excuses. I chose not to complain this year because 2015 is more of a continuation of the previous administration. But 2016 is fully APC’s year of manifestation. If there is fuel scarcity in 2016, it will be APC’s fault and not the PDP’s. If there is no light or unrest in 2016, it will be APC’s fault and not the PDP’s. The year 2016 is APC’s year to prove themselves and not a year to complain. And I sir, am one of those that wish this administration success, because if you succeed, Nigeria succeeds. But if things are not better by this time in 2016, I would give up hope in this administration.

Sir, the FG recently asked all agencies capturing biometrics of Nigerian citizens to work with the National Identity Management Commission to give every Nigerian an Identity Number. That is a good move, and I want to add that this should be taken a step further in the expected 2016 National Census. I advise that the National Population Commission works with the National Identity Commission to give every Nigerian an ID number in 2016. The NPC should also work with hospitals, health centers, and midwives to ensure that all new born babies also get ID numbers. We need to have a working population database of Nigerians. I believe we all know the economic importance of an up-to-date database of Nigerians, we will be able to plan properly and also fight crime more effectively.

Sir, this is my greatest concern. The Nigerian economy is a wicked one. A very wicked one. There is no light, no good roads, no jobs, no housing program, and a very high interest rate. How will the youths survive? What is hope for the average Nigerian youth? Sir, the FG alone cannot single-handedly create jobs for all the unemployed youths in Nigeria. And thus the FG will be doing Nigerians a great favour if the FG can reduce interest rates in Nigeria. It would be nice if interest rates can be further reduced to 2% from commercial banks and with no collateral. At least this policy can cover youths between the ages of 22 to 42. SME’s are the backbone of any economy. And if this can be implemented, I guarantee you that unemployment will be greatly reduced in Nigeria.

The monetary policy of this administration is not encouraging. I know the FG has good intentions but your methods may just not be effective. Mrs. Oby Ezekwisili raised some salient points concerning the monetary policy and I think it ought to be studied. That policy does need some reviewing. The CBN governor is not all-knowing, and you know it’s a lot easier to solve a problem when you’re outside the problem than when you are in it. This administration will surely do well if it takes constructive criticisms seriously. There are lots of nice ideas all over the social media but implementation remains our greatest problem as a nation.

The Nnamdi Kanu’s case has made me realize that is high time we had a hate crime bill in Nigeria. It is high time we joined civilized countries like Britain, Brazil, Germany, Denmark, France, Chile, etc, who have laws against hate speech. Though their laws centers on racism, ours should center on tribalism/tribal bigotry, religious intolerance and political affiliation. As a legal practitioner, you will agree with me that free speech and hate speech are not the same. If hate speech and free speech were same, then the UK wouldn’t have To take any action against Donald Trump . Sir, you can ask one of your friends in the Senate to sponsor a hate crime bill as this will go a long way to curb future violence and unrest in Nigeria. I wrote an open letter to Nigerian lawmakers on this very issue. You can look it up here sir, for more information: http://www.tori.ng/news/11753/opinion-open-letter-to-all-nigerian-lawmakers-on-h.html , or https://www.nairaland.com/2619823/open-letter-all-nigerian-lawmakers . I am not a Kanu fan at all oh, but I think this treason charge does not have enough evidence other than intents. His major offences are hate speech and inciting statements. I think he should be sent to the UK to be dealt with according to their hate speech laws except the UK government is one of his supporters. No matter how the FG handles this case, 99.9% of us down south that hate President Buhari so much will see it as hatful judgement meted on their son. But if the UK handles it, we will be less bias about the judgement (Just my opinion though). That notwithstanding, we need to have a hate crime law in this country so that one ‘nama’ won’t just wake up and start inciting and provoking people on radio or social media, same goes for politicians during elections.

This administration is actually the most challenged. A friend of mine once said that President Buhari is a victim of circumstances. The economic challenges are so enormous and sometimes I feel sorry for our President. However, I do believe that with determination, flexibility, adaptability, and an open mind, nothing can be impossible. Sir, I do believe about 50% of the solutions to the problems in Nigeria, are written, hidden and domiciled in 2014 National Conference Report. That conference was not a waste. If the FG will study that report and begin implementing it in 2016, Nigeria will start moving forward.

There are many factors trying to tear Nigeria apart but I do have an idea that can help us be more united. I am not an expert on keeping heterogeneous people united but I do have a lousy idea that could also be helpful to the unity of Nigeria. I think we should have a National Marriage Commission in Nigeria. By ‘National Marriage’, I mean inter-tribal marriages. Any marriage between two different tribes in Nigeria should be made a national marriage and should be sponsored by the FG through the National Marriage Commission. The National Assembly can pass this bill and also encourage traditional rulers and families to reduce the bride price and marriage rites for suitors from other tribes. The commission will take care of some of the costs of the wedding like wedding rites, legal costs, and medical bills for the pregnant bride before and after conception, etc. I can send more details on how this commission will operate if one of your aides can do me a mail. The NSYC program was originally designed to unite Nigeria, rather its’ just a one year tourism exercise that allows people from the south to get to spend 12 months of their life in the north and vice versa. The NYSC program is more of a tourism program than a unifying factor. Nothing unites families like marriage. Nigeria is made up of millions of families and the more united these families are, the more united Nigeria will be. The only problem with this idea is that it will mean more expenses on the part of the Federal Government. Nevertheless, I believe this extra cost to keep Nigerians united is considerably cheap compared to the cost of a divided Nigeria.

Sir, in the book of proverbs, Solomon spoke about a wise man whose wisdom was ignored and scorned because he was a poor man. Sir, I am just one of those average Nigerian youths that wish Nigeria well. While I was typing this, my elder sister was mocking me because to her I am just wasting my time, same way I get mocked every day for supporting the APC government. Please sir, ‘Mbok don’t fall my hand’.
Once again, I wish you Sir, the FG and the entire Nigeria a prosperous 2016.

My name is David Mark(not the Senator), and I just want to make common sense.

Regards,
David Mark
(A concerned Nigerian youth)
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by Chukabiz(m): 1:20pm On Dec 25, 2015
Merry christmas to everyone here.
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by abangaLEE(f): 1:25pm On Dec 25, 2015
Why not write to dasuki
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by GreatUniben: 1:32pm On Dec 25, 2015
APC don't and cannot read lengthy write-ups all they known for is their thuggish lifestyle especially in nairaland
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by adren(m): 1:37pm On Dec 25, 2015
@OP,
mind if i ask if you are a polytechnic dropout ??
your open-letter lacks composure and prioritisation..

sorry but this cannot even impress lalasticlala nor seun, nevertheless, the number 2 citizen of the federal republic..

no offence meant..
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by babyfaceafrica: 1:41pm On Dec 25, 2015
Lolz.....
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 25, 2015
I love your spirit and courage. but Nigeria problem is more complex than all these solutions you proffered.
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by Aromas: 2:00pm On Dec 25, 2015
abangaLEE:
Why not write to dasuki
gringringringrin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by yanabasee(m): 2:51pm On Dec 25, 2015
Op,,,,,Nice one!
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by kayfra: 3:20pm On Dec 25, 2015
A lot of good stuff andalso dumb stuff written but I'll focus on the dumb stuff that irritates me.

1. Interest rates reflects the money supply and inherent risk in an economy and banks reserves the right to demand a collateral as part of assessing lending risk. When you grow your own business, please provide loans with no securities to back it up and let's see how long your company lasts.

2. National Marriage Commission, another wasteful government entitlement spending program!? W.T.F! Do you think we can afford another social program? We can't even manage for profit airports!

My solutions to the above:

The quickest way to fix Nigeria is a gradual return to federalism. Get rid of the meaningless "state of origin" and replace it with "state of residence" and watch tribalism crumble. Next, get federal government off resource sharing and allow the states to compete fairly and remit tax revenue to the federal government. Graduates will relocate to productive states and the not so educated can remain in the less productive states. Government can offer subsidized funds for the not so academically inclined and gifted to work and operate in farms.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by EternalTruths: 3:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
kayfra:
A lot of good stuff andalso dumb stuff written but I'll focus on the dumb stuff that irritates me.

1. Interest rates reflects the money supply and inherent risk in an economy and banks reserves the right to demand a collateral as part of assessing lending risk. When you grow your own business, please provide loans with no securities to back it up and let's see how long your company lasts.

2. National Marriage Commission, another wasteful government entitlement spending program!? W.T.F! Do you think we can afford another social program? We can't even manage for profit airports!

My solutions to the above:

The quickest way to fix Nigeria is a gradual return to federalism. Get rid of the meaningless "state of origin" and replace it with "state of residence" and watch tribalism crumble. Next, get federal government off resource sharing and allow the states to compete fairly and remit tax revenue to the federal government. Graduates will relocate to productive states and the not so educated can remain in the less productive states. Government can offer subsidized funds for the not so academically inclined and gifted to work and operate in farms.

The Op tried but you are right

True Federalism remains the only true solution

States should be empowered by law to depend on their resources and not go to Abuja as beggars.

25% on mineral and non mineral wealth should be made a law to encourage states to depend on their resources rather than go to Abuja every month like beggars.

Buhari should send a bill to the National Assembly concerning this. cool
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by roigr2012: 5:12pm On Dec 25, 2015
Thanks OP for voicing out. Let me say this you are one of the people on this forum who is a source of hope that there is still a chance for a better Nigeria. Thanks
to your contribution
I don't think contributions can afford another social program in the form of a National marriage commission and I think like someone has mentioned, if there is an emphasis shift from state of origin to state of residence, I think tribalism will be greatly reduced. However that too is fraught with some challenges such as what happens to states that experience massive emigration due to harsh weather, will they lose their citizens due to a situation outside their control? I also agree that until this administration promotes TRUE federalism, wherein states own the funds they generate from their natural resources, this country will be unable to solve its main challenge of gross underdevelopment.
Lastly, I am a believer that there is hope for this country yet. Nigeria will be great and it will be in out generation. Merry Christmas!
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Yemi Osinbanjo On The Nigerian Economy And Other Issues by davidmark4naija: 8:01pm On Dec 25, 2015
roigr2012:
Thanks OP for voicing out. Let me say this you are one of the people on this forum who is a source of hope that there is still a chance for a better Nigeria. Thanks
to your contribution
I don't think contributions can afford another social program in the form of a National marriage commission and I think like someone has mentioned, if there is an emphasis shift from state of origin to state of residence, I think tribalism will be greatly reduced. However that too is fraught with some challenges such as what happens to states that experience massive emigration due to harsh weather, will they lose their citizens due to a situation outside their control? I also agree that until this administration promotes TRUE federalism, wherein states own the funds they generate from their natural resources, this country will be unable to solve its main challenge of gross underdevelopment.
Lastly, I am a believer that there is hope for this country yet. Nigeria will be great and it will be in out generation. Merry Christmas!

Thanks a lot for ur contribution. That is why I suggested that this administration implements the 2014 confab report cos the call for true federalism was included in that report.

The national marriage commission is a lousy idea dat can bring any some positive results. It's just a suggestion sha.

Thanx again.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Reaction To Don Jazzy And Olamide Feud. / When Will Tinubu And Co Be Invited By Efcc? / Armsgate: Why EFCC Freed Buhari’s Friend, Jafaru Isa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.