Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies (4076 Views)

HND Accountancy Vs BSc Accounting / Assistance On Getting Into The Nigerian Foreign Service/academy / Accountancy Or Economics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by silsane(f): 9:52pm On Oct 23, 2006
Hi,

just completed my b.sc project and will be graduating next year hopefully with a 2.1 and am also a part 3 ACCA student(chartered accounting) - and will be finishing that next year too. I live in England, however i want to come back to nigeria next year to work. Please could you advice me on best companies to go for and what d starting salary might be, given my qualifications and also, best way(website or post) and time to apply

I also heard some companies do question people's ages especially if they are young. I am 19 now and won't be turnin 20 until i graduate and through with my ACCA, would this be an issue?

please could u tell me names of good financial services, accountancy, audit and assurance firms .

i'ld appreciate your advice, thanks
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by amdaysol(m): 5:32am On Oct 24, 2006
i think your age is actually a plus.Your choice of company will depend on your carrer path.
PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Akintola Williams Delloite, Banks, Telcos it is your choice.

A combination of post and e-mail.

Girl, you have the world @your feet. I wish u the best
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by silsane(f): 3:43pm On Oct 25, 2006
Thank you very much smiley
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by nunu(f): 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2006
silsane,you are going to be chased by large corporations in Nigeria.Your age is a big factor that will be beneficial to you and the company.just as amdayso said,your age is a plus and you have the world at your feet.Have fun gal.cheers
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by silsane(f): 11:06am On Oct 26, 2006
would i need to do youth service?
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by nunu(f): 11:18am On Oct 26, 2006
yes,you need to go for NYSC
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by silsane(f): 12:11pm On Oct 26, 2006
u r kidding rite? shocked, wats d purpose of nysc?
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Geolalisa(f): 12:56pm On Oct 26, 2006
congrats,is not easy to b a graduate at such a tender age when ur mates are still struggling to get into the university,is really a plus to u.but for the issue of NYSC, since u wish to work in Nigeria u then hv to serve in Nigeria i.e u must go for the compulsory NYSC programme.i wish u luck.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by popsonj(m): 2:27pm On Oct 26, 2006
That's a good one, for you to be completing you BSc. at age 20, kudos to you, but why would you want to come and work here, you have a good grade and you'll be chattered. I don't want to discourage you but the age might be a little barrier, and the NYSC, for you to work here you have to have that except you are exempted from that but i don't see any reason why you would be exempted. If you can run your masters programme there and take up some professional course that will take you some time, that will be good for you

Just my suggestion!
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by netodebs(m): 2:56pm On Oct 26, 2006
dont worry aboput that .iwould see to it if only u give me a call+2348068795735
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Tywoh(f): 4:04pm On Oct 26, 2006
Thats a lot of feather to be added to your cap.
COMGRATULATIONS.
If you really want to work in Nigeria, you ll av to do d compulsory NYSC Programme.
And I promise you dat you ll enjoy d programme.
I just finished d programme dis year,
and we had many people dat schooled abroad coming for it.
I'm sure they all had a wonderful expereince.
So make Nigeria proud of d stuff you've got.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by silsane(f): 5:18pm On Oct 26, 2006
i don't think i will have a problem doin d nysc(i hope to hold a public post sometime in future) but will i get paid doin it?
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by somebody(f): 5:25pm On Oct 26, 2006
Don't know much about Nigeria but you'll be one of many graduating at that age, I know lots of people that finished quite young (including me) and though its a good accomplishment, its not a big deal these days at least not in the UK. If you join Investment Banks or the big 4, you'll see plenty of your age mates or at least those a year older so don't worry about it.

Congrats to you, keep up the good work and make sure you graduate with that 2.1.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by babadee(m): 5:54pm On Oct 26, 2006
finishing at that age was a big deal in Nigeria until we had all these private universitys so consiedr it a plus though we still got people who finish from govt schools at that age too. (like moi)
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Luchies(f): 5:55pm On Oct 26, 2006
Well done girl!! You have a lot going for you at this age(tho there are a lot who have graduated at a similer age,some younger, trust me) and an added qualification,say a masters would only make it better, (icing on cake,y'know wink)
NYSC is mandatory if you want to work in a public office and the experience is something u'll always remember. Your age may make it difficult for you to get anything besides entry level cos there's your lack of job experience to consider, In all, i have to say im happy for you and can only wish you the very best.
I Hail!!  smiley
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by onyek: 5:57pm On Oct 26, 2006
Graduating at your age is not a bigee anymore. It's pretty much de rigeur

Luckily it is a great time to be in Africa because of the rate of change going on.

Decide what you want and go for it

Good Luck!!

wink
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by donmayor(m): 7:08pm On Oct 26, 2006
You sure have a great mind that I can put to use profiting you as well as me. You would definitely be hotcake in naija if u show face but u can at the same time decide not to be a cake for others to eat but be a part of those eating the cake.Opportunities abound presently in Nigeria. Look for it. Since u hope to occupy a public post, NYSC is inevitable even though I count it as a waste of 1 year of a person's life
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by jydoh(m): 7:35pm On Oct 26, 2006
silsane:

i don't think i will have a problem doin d nysc(i hope to hold a public post sometime in future) but will i get paid doin it?

CONGRATS!!!
U'll be paid durin ur NYSC but far less than ur expectations. Fed Govt Pays u #8,500(as @ now), and probably if u are posted to a good company u may be paid extra fees. but its all about service to ur fatherland, grin grin grin

Really, i would have suggested that you add another feather to ur cap before embarking on the sourjoun of the labour market in nigeria. Companies in nigeria are no more keen on ur first degree but rather on ur second and all professional degrees. so think about it and make the best use of ur stay in London. wink wink wink
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Christino(m): 8:23pm On Oct 26, 2006
@ Topic

You are not too young, and I tell you, it's more than a plus, you have enough time to MAKE MONEY before you settle down (if you eventually want to!)

Meanwhile, with our Private Universities around, Many people go to the NYSC camp at the ages of 18,19 and 20 - no big deal anymore, and if you end up teaching in a secondary school, be sure to have peeps older than you are grin (tellin u from Experience!)

It's good you are pursuing your ACCA please do, after that i can assure you u can dictate your salary, but please have at least 1 year experience (I guess IT - training is part of your ACCA requirement?)

Sky's da limit!
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 26, 2006
Good for you silsane
Actually, we belong together. If everything goes according to plan (and believe me, there's no crook stuff in my plan) I'll have my B.Sc at 19. The sky's the limit for US!!!

Stay focused
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Radiant(f): 10:36pm On Oct 26, 2006
About the NYSC, I think overseas students can do it anywhere in Nigeria. They can choose where they want to do it.

Pls people can u confirm this?
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by dennylove(m): 11:32pm On Oct 26, 2006
first of all, i wnt to say CONGRATULATION!!!for graduating at a very TENDER age,but why?do you want to come back to Nigeria,is there no better job offer in the UK?that's okay,am jst ASSUMING,well,TOO YOUNG OR TOO OLD DOESN'T COUNT.all that matters is knowing what you want,and staying FOCUS and the SKY will be ur BEGINNER.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by allofyou(m): 9:03am On Oct 27, 2006
congrats for making something of urself @ such young age. u'll get a job with an oil company. they're the highest paying and i think that's every1's ultimate. but u have to do NYSC. you can runs it and serve in one of the major cities if u dont want to go through the stress of serving in a remote place. i'll also advise u to do ur MBA so as to maximise ur chances.
best of luck girl.

netodebs:

don't worry aboput that .iwould see to it if only u give me a call+2348068795735

why does she have to call u? u wan begin beg her for money? let everybody give her what they got for her right here.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by jimmiebone(m): 10:16am On Oct 27, 2006
i will say kudos you silsane for gratuating at that age. Concerning coming back to Nigeria, i consider it a wise decision atleast to pour back your wealth of knowlegde in your motherland. For you to be able to hold public post in the future you have to do the compulsory youth service though not all firms consider this as a critera for employment.
So keep up your dream alive. Remember God loves you
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by hustler(m): 11:35am On Oct 27, 2006
If u wanna come back u can always have ur preferred location for the NYSC since u schooled abroad.

I think it's usually b/w Lagos and Abuja, U'll enjoy the camp, Trust me i just went thru it, But maybe u should get ur second degree b4 comin back.

And ur age, Don't think u r too young, I think it's becoming the average age now.

THE WORLD IS YOURS.Make the best of it.

Peace.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by agboifo(f): 11:53am On Oct 27, 2006
Wouldn't you consider taking a Masters degree while you still have age on your side. It gives you a continous edge in the workplace and will also ease your employers' plans for further training.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by chyziani: 3:18pm On Oct 27, 2006
I wish ya all the best silsane!. you have the world to conquer! wink
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by freelance(m): 4:13pm On Oct 27, 2006
Send your cv to ARm ( Asset and Resource Managers)
http://www.arm.com.ng
You can also send your cv to oil companies and Multinationals. You surely are a genius and you deserve the best. Take care and see you at the top.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by Bigtee(m): 4:48pm On Oct 27, 2006
You age is just fine.
U're a "WHIZ" KID a.k.a Efico.
Don't feel intimidated by your age. You are the only limitation to yourself. The good thing is you'll get exposed early, the bad thing is that you'll deal with alot of older people who might feel "whats this young person doing trying to steal my shine". If u respect them and avoid being "COCKY" it will be all good.
Wish you all the best.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by ope0lu(m): 5:24pm On Oct 27, 2006
hey silsane! i also congratulate you, i see u've had a whole lots of advice so i'll be real brief cos i may be repeating
1. stay off and grab some more degrees, u got age on ya side to acquire more and let them come looking for you
2. except that you wanna hold a publice degree u can forget NYSC, but if u want to serve (which i will advice) you'll be posted anywhere in Nigeria, except you runs it then you'll be given preference,
3. if u keen on returning now; Multinationals,Telecoms,Banking are the biggest industry and they give Human Resourcing out to org. like PwC, post online and ask around i'm sure they've people scouting around the UK
4. work abroad for a while to get more experience, while you try get a good deal from home since home is your target,
5. this one comes highly recommended, look out for AIESEC in your school, get involved, try and see if you can get an internship thru them either in Nigeria or elsewhere, so you can get an insight into working environment (like a test-drive)! an d you'll learn a lot

i hope this help!
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by nosa101(f): 5:29pm On Oct 27, 2006
Get a doctorate while you have the chance. I am going to be as young as you too and that is what i am doing.
Re: advice on getting a job at good accountancy & financial services companies by vassilli(m): 5:45pm On Oct 27, 2006
hey, y u dey try compound our problems and give us cos to worry and question y all fingers aint equal. this one no b biff talk o but u knw hw many graduates dey look for one?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is It Like Been A Graduate In Biochemistry In Nigeria / Why Do We Have Only Female Secretaries? / Invalid Job Applications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.