Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same (80464 Views)

BEST Courses To Read In Nigeria For Better Opportunities / 7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall / Which Is Correct Between These Two English Sentence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 27, 2015
This can only be said to hold if the spaces and the need for a question mark at the end of the initial sentence are neglected.
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by 3kay945(m): 11:01pm On Dec 27, 2015
ilevic:
abeg this thin nor make any sense reading it backwards. leme try "was it a car or a cat I saw" now backwards, "was I cat a or car a it saw". how come its giving same meaning? enlightenment pls

Hope you don get it now?

I was in your shoe before sighting a post above me.
kiss
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Strawman: 11:12pm On Dec 27, 2015
EVA, CAN I SEE BEES IN A CAVE? tongue

17 Likes

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by prof800(m): 11:32pm On Dec 27, 2015
XXX5:
this is false. the "C" in CAR and CAT when read in reverse would not be written C correctly.

Here is my proof

take for instance the sentence was written with a marker on a Car windscreen from outside, an observer inside the car rather than seeing a CONCAVE 'C' will see a CONVEX 'C' hence, there is no Symmetry in this sentence as claimed by the OP.

signed - Micolekz Corp
Na wa oo... some people sabi English pass The English people wey create the language sef.

Brother you're not absolutely correct (in fact very wrong) because in palindromes, you don't "mirror" the letters, instead you repeat the letters in reverse order.

Take POOP as a palindrome for example, "P" is not written as "9" you know.

Some people are not looking for the "beauty of form" but always trying to correct other peoples use of English like it is their mother tongue. Shiorr...!

Next time use a dictionary.

"RISE TO VOTE SIR", is also a Palindrome.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by ilevic(m): 11:52pm On Dec 27, 2015
falcon01:
chaiiiii i cant believe this guys should read again and use common sense to figure it out

Mr or Mrs Genderless, is insult you second name? Which one be come sense here? u no see d last statement in my first comment?
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by luckyboss(m): 12:22am On Dec 28, 2015
I knew only about a word "SWIMS" when turned upside down.

1 Like

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by harristo(m): 3:10am On Dec 28, 2015
Strawman:
EVA, CAN I SEE BEES IN A CAVE? tongue

Thank you jor.

What I thought when I saw the opening post was that, the sentence is not the only english sentence that when read in reverse, will still be the same. But that it was just the only one to have been discovered and you just proved my thought to be true.

*Reads comments and modify* So they are called palindrome. Thanks prof800

2 Likes

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by ugonna1054(m): 4:25am On Dec 28, 2015
It's palindrome but not d only one.

RISE TO VOTE SIR is also one among many others

1 Like

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by falcon01: 5:08am On Dec 28, 2015
ilevic:

Mr or Mrs Genderless, is insult you second name? Which one be come sense here? u no see d last statement in my first comment?
sorry ooo i don mean any insult... am just saying people should reason and find the other sentence [FYI] i did not see it
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by prof800(m): 8:22am On Dec 28, 2015
harristo:

Thank you jor.

What I thought when I saw the opening post was that, the sentence is not the only english sentence that when read in reverse, will still be the same. But that it was just the only one to have been discovered and you just proved my thought to be true.

*Reads comments and modify* So they are called palindrome. Thanks prof800
You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by XXX5(m): 8:43am On Dec 28, 2015
prof800:

Na wa oo... some people sabi English pass The English people wey create the language sef.

Brother you're not absolutely correct (in fact very wrong) because in palindromes, you don't "mirror" the letters, instead you repeat the letters in reverse order.

Take POOP as a palindrome for example, "P" is not written as "9" you know.

Some people are not looking for the "beauty of form" but always trying to correct other peoples use of English like it is their mother tongue. Shiorr...!

Next time use a dictionary.

"RISE TO VOTE SIR", is also a Palindrome.

I see... if "RISE TO VOTE" is also a palindrome, then the Op is wrong to say the sentence he gave is the only English palindrome.

signed - Micolekz corp
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by valnosky(m): 8:46am On Dec 28, 2015
Check out these;rotator,nurses run
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Nobody: 8:57am On Dec 28, 2015
falcon01:
chaiiiii i cant believe this guys should read again and use common sense to figure it out
loool
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by kateskitty(f): 10:12am On Dec 28, 2015
prahcetomi:
Check this out......'NURSES RUN'

Emm that ain't a complete sentence
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by omojesu202(m): 11:09am On Dec 28, 2015
fr3do:
how car and cat take resemble ?
u school for Utukpo abi?
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by mayorkyzo: 11:26am On Dec 28, 2015
Dammit I'm mad...can also mean thesame from front or backwards... wink

4 Likes

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by kamokaze10(m): 12:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
*observing from the top of mango tree*

1 Like

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by FcMilan: 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
BRO ITS NOT ONLY DAT HOW ABT

RISE TO VOTE SIR

DEM PLENTY
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by ezenonso: 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
There more .....nairalanders .....
Make I tell una
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by youngice(m): 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
ilevic:
abeg this thin nor make any sense reading it backwards. leme try "was it a car or a cat I saw" now backwards, "was I cat a or car a it saw". how come its giving same meaning? enlightenment pls
lmaoooooo
Osogbo weed at work
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Ussyyn(m): 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
See English Genius.
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by jayriginal: 12:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
yinkuscious:
This is interesting
#Some people won't get it

Before saying that some people won't get it, know what a palindrome is. It's not the only English sentence that reads the same front to back.
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by jayriginal: 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
FcMilan:
BRO ITS NOT ONLY DAT HOW ABT

RISE TO VOTE SIR

DEM PLENTY

From the Simpsons. Mensa.

Nice one.
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Nobody: 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
A Palindromic sentence...

Wow..
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
E-commerce has taken a brand new shape as a new site has been opened to cater for your needs in your bedroom and homes.

Visit http://emmyroyale.com to check this out
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by pagorino(m): 12:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
grin confamento
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by latito: 12:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
This guy you are very intelligent , who is your father? cool grin
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by Omotayor123(f): 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
ilevic:
Spell and read from the back... You will get!
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by mcmauray: 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
It's wrong cos it goes dis way
WAS I CAT OR CAR A IT SAW
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by airsaylongcon: 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
Babe2sure:
Its a palindrome. We have several palindromic words. I think this is my first time of seeing a palindrome as a sentence. Nice one!

Here's another "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!"
Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:44pm On Dec 28, 2015
Multiple Word Palindromes

Don't nod.
I did, did I?
My gym
Red rum, sir, is murder
Step on no pets
Top spot
Eva, can I see bees in a cave?
No lemon, no melon
A nut for a jar of tuna
Sit on a potato pan Otis
do geese see god?
never odd or even
Madam in Eden, I'm Adam
Live On No Evil

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Only English Sentence That When Read In Reverse Will Still Be The Same by trebron(m): 12:46pm On Dec 28, 2015
What of this sentence;
"Are you as bored as I am?"
There are others. This is not my first time of seeing such.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / Boy Selling Yam And Studying His Book (Photo) / See Unilag's Miss Curves (phantee) She Starred In Iyanya's Kukere Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.