Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Social Media: Promises & Pains. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Social Media: Promises & Pains. (446 Views)

Nigerians Blast Saraki Over "I Feel The Pains Of Recession" Comment(pics) / Diezani: "I'm In Pains, I Don't Think There Is Anything Doctors Can Do Beyond" / This Is How A Councillor Says He Is Delivering His Campaign Promises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Social Media: Promises & Pains. by misterh(m): 7:04pm On Dec 29, 2015
The 2015 elections have come and gone. But events that happened during the campaigns still make me think of how far we've gone. An aspect of the campaign that was rampantly used was the massive use of the social media. This is the first time that the virtual world would have a great influence on our electoral process. Even politicians that do not know anything about the internet created social media profiles.

And why not?

With a sizeable number of the population classified as youths and a large percentage of such found on the internet, it was only logical to take the campaigns to their doorsteps, literally. For a few years now, the social media have influenced politics in the world (side eye to the Arab Spring). Here at home, the #OccupyNigeria protests can be referenced. The social media has also been used for meritorious and charitable causes. Funds have been generated via Twitter for those with medical and social needs.
With all these promises come side effects. During the electoral processes, the heavy use of the social media gave way for the use of propaganda. While propaganda isn't a bad concept on its own, the use of same for misinformation evokes anger in me. Because of the wide reach of the internet, a tweet made in the corner of my mosquito-infested room in Iresa-Adu village in Oyo state can influence the thought process and decision of someone in her mansion in Eket, Akwa Ibom. Such is the power of the social media. This is in sharp contrast with the propaganda peddled at newspaper joints. That one is localized.
Then, there are the overlords. This is quite common on Twitter. These are tweeps with demagogic tendencies. During the 2015 electoral processes, they had minions who nod in approval to whatever they tweet. Their influence might be derived from their follower count (which runs into several thousands), number of tweets (usually into tens/hundreds of thousands), sense of humour et al. These are the ones that the politicians use in achieving their aims. Their ability to create trending topics make them useful tools for politicians.

Another source of misinformation today is because of the proliferation of blogs. Anyone, sane or not, with internet access is able to open a blog and fuelled by the quest for AdSense money, traffic must be generated at any cost. Thus, outrageous news items are formulated. My 'homemade' antidote to this is to before reading a news item check the source- a funny name & it's off my reading list. The politicians now use the social media to control the narratives, so as to condition the mind of the people towards a direction. Thus, claims and rebuttals are norms here. It's now difficult to trust the news I read online now. Or maybe my standards are high- justifiably so. If you're in the business of informing people, you hold the power to shape their mindset. Oh heck! You can create a mass hysteria. Thus, if I'm going to give you that power, it has to be deserved.

Looking for credible news in the myriad of blogs now seems like "looking for a needle in a haystack". How do you find it?- Bring a damn needle!!

Social Media Bill?

Source: www.misterhakeem.
Re: Social Media: Promises & Pains. by Ewizard(m): 7:28pm On Dec 29, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Our Signatures Forged To Suspend Shehu Sani – APC Ward Exco / Ladipo Market To Be Demolished! / Ashimolowo To Buhari: Looters Deserve Only 20% Of Your Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.