Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. (22340 Views)

Ipob Attack Yorubas In Aba / Dino Melaye!!! The Orchestrator Of His Predicament - Voice Of Okun / Are There Yorubas In Kwara and Kogi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2015
The word "Okun" is a generic term used to describe the Yoruba descendants in Kogi state.
Kogi is a multi ethnic and diverse state, and Okun people make up over 20% of the entire population of the state. Which is about 662809 out of 3,314,043, according to 2006 census figures.
Okun spread across six local government areas in Kogi State, which are; Kabba-Bunu, Yagba-West, Yagba-East, Mopa-Muro, Ìjùmú and Lokoja local government Areas.
They speak various Yoruba dialects…Owé, Ìyàgbà, Ìjùmú,
Bùnú and Oworo, but their language is generally called Okun.
One beauty of this is that, if you are not an Okun person, you might not be able to figure out the slight differences in the dialects because every speaker flaunts his dialect at will, with full confidence that the other Okun person will understand without stress. Which is true.
More so, almost all of them speak the common Yoruba fluently even without ever stepping foot out of Kogi.....Isn't that interesting.
Their dialects and way of life is largely influenced by
various reasons. Such as:
1. Diversity of the state
Due to the abundance of great ethnic diversity which makes Kogi state a cultural hub with a huge number of ethnic groups like Ebira, Igala, and other minorities like Bassa, a small fraction of Nupe mainly in Lokoja and Bassa Local Government Area, the
Ogugu subgroup of the Igala, Gwari, Kakanda, Oworo people (A Yoruba Group), Ogori, Bassa komo, and Magongo.
Also including the Eggan and Hausa community under Lokoja Local Government.
2. Boundries
Another great factor that may have shaped the Okun people is that Kogi state shares boundaries with a total number of ten states which are; Ondo, Ekiti, Kwara, Niger, Benue, Nassarawa, Anambra, Enugu, Edo and the Federal capital territory.
3. History
History has has also played its part in shaping the Okun identity. Therefore, Nupe wars of the 19th century and interaction with the Hausas due to geographical zoning have left an indelible
mark on the Okun people and their way of life.
According to oral source, Okun people migrated from Ile Ife, the cradle of the Yoruba race when Yorubas were spreading to occupy more lands, before spreading out, each and everyone was instructed to report to Ile Ife for a yearly meeting.
The man, that led a group of young people to a location (now called YAGBA) in Kogi state did not return over a long period of time.
When he eventually returned and explained that he lost larger part of his acquired land to some other migrants.
He was blamed for the loss and he said in yoruba, ''ÌYÀ ÀGBÀ LÓ JEMÍ'' meaning that invasion of his acqured land was due to lack of having elderly people with him.
Since then, they started mocking him at Ile Ife, calling him Iya agba. They associated this name with him whenever they wanted to send
messages across to him after returning to his occupied area, now called Yagba.
Over the years, Okun people faced numerous challenges, ranging from geo political zoning, marginalisation and problem of identity. Their problem started during the colonial era when they were
politically ceded to the Northern protectorate by Lord Lugard, the Governor-General of Nigeria. The abolition of the provincial and
regional administrative units in 1967 led to their merging with Ilorin to form old Kwara state.
Then, Igala was merged with old Benue State. However, on 27th of august 1991, Okun people was removed again and merged with Ebira, Igala from Benue state and some other
tribes to form Kogi state.
Okun indigenes moved against merging them with completely different tribes but they were forced into this marriage.
Their efforts to break away and form Okun State, which could make it possible for them to be more closer to their Kiths and Kins in the South West, failed to materialise. Concerning Identity problem.
Okun people bear Typical Yoruba names like Edo people, lots of them speak yoruba and many of their settlements are named in Yoruba language such as:
Ayegunle
Ayetoro
Kajola
Egbeda
Egbeda Ega
Okedayo
Oke-aba (Kabba)
Odo Ere,
Odo Eri
Ife
Iyamoye
Agbaja
Igbo Nla
Obajana and
Ikoyi.
Even, groups that make up Bunupeople of Okun are Okemeta, Okemesan, Akumerindinlogun and Kiri groups.
Some notable Okun indegenes are:
Smart Adeyemi
James Faleke
Shola Amoebi
Caardinaal Onayekaan

Tunde E dnut
Jaywon
Dino Melaye
Nike Davies Okundaye
Sam Allle
Bayo Ojo
Ty bello
Dare arts Alade
Suday Bada
juwon oshaniwa
http://www.kogihub..com.ng/2015/12/okun-yorubas-in-kogi-state-brief-history.html?m=1
CC: lalasticlala

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2015
I am a proud Okun indegine...if you are an okun man or woman, you can like our fb page
OKUN

25 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Tunami(m): 9:52pm On Dec 29, 2015
ok
Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2015
Our language is unique https://www.unilorin.edu.ng/publications/arokoyo/CLAN PUBLICATION.htm

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by fkaz(m): 9:59pm On Dec 29, 2015
GOOD TO KNOW
Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by coolzeal(m): 10:03pm On Dec 29, 2015
So, they are Yoruba's in Kogi state but they are quick to tell one Chukwudi or Amaechi from River state, he's not Igbo... Hypocrites.. Tuaa..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Idrismusty97(m): 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2015
All the Okun i know speaks the standard Yoruba language fluently. But when they start speaking their language(Which still sounds almost like yoruba) a typical Yoruba from Osun, Lagos, Ibadan etc may not even understand a word. Some say the Okuns are not even Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Abayhormy(m): 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2015
A proud Yoruba Kogite! I rep Yagba West.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by okunboy: 10:21pm On Dec 29, 2015
E o okun o! Omo iye'm nai!

11 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by okunboy: 10:29pm On Dec 29, 2015
Idrismusty97:
All the Okun i know speaks the standard Yoruba language fluently. But when they start speaking their language(Which still sounds almost like yoruba) a typical Yoruba from Osun, Lagos, Ibadan etc may not even understand a word. Some say the Okuns are not even Yorubas.

Okun dialect bear a lot of semblance with the Ijebu dialect. Dialectical differences in the language will not be yard-stick to judge its origin. History is the best judge here, and that's what the OP has done in this thread. Several political incursions into our tribal lives over the years has made some loose their original Identity!

I am a proud OKUN; YAGBA precise.

19 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 10:29pm On Dec 29, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Every one of us have our dialets. have u listen to the ekiti people speak? or the egbas or the ondo, ijebu, ijesha, or even the igbominas?. do we now say they are not yorubas too?

23 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by HermajestyQ(f): 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
Proudly Kabba Lady. Wish to marry a Kabba/ okun man some day

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by superduperjay: 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
Idrismusty97:
All yoruba groups have their various dialect which are unique to them except maybe the oyo's which has been adopted as central yoruba and maybe isale eko peeps( I have no knowledge of their dialect). So okun won't understand ijebu and vice Versa except you put you ear down and listen carefully. Applies to most parts of the yoruba kingdom. God Bless the OKUNS!!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 10:33pm On Dec 29, 2015
Idrismusty97:
this link should also help in clearing any kind of doubt you have. https://www.unilorin.edu.ng/publications/arokoyo/CLAN PUBLICATION.htm
am a proud Yagba man from a town called ponyan

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by babyfaceafrica: 10:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
Idrismusty97:
says who?....its just dialect...its not difficult to understand jhoor

8 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by superduperjay: 10:35pm On Dec 29, 2015
Oh! I didn't see your reply before answering him. kiss
boluwatife66:

Every one of us have our dialets. have u listen to the ekiti people speak? or the egbas or the ondo, ijebu, ijesha, or even the igbominas?. do we now say they are not yorubas too?

2 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Emmyk(m): 10:36pm On Dec 29, 2015
Abayhormy:
A proud Yoruba Kogite! I rep Yagba West.
Same here. Repping Yagba West all the way. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 11:11pm On Dec 29, 2015
superduperjay:
Oh! I didn't see your reply before answering him. kiss
You are always welcome brother.Okun Agbe gha ooo

3 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Abayhormy(m): 12:03am On Dec 30, 2015
Emmyk:

Same here. Repping Yagba West all the way. cheesy
Nice one bro.

3 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by superduperjay: 12:14am On Dec 30, 2015
boluwatife66:

You are always welcome brother.Okun Agbe gha ooo
sister u mean? Can you butress with pictures of historical place, monuments, sites etc I still feel more research has to be done about OKUN people.

2 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by BigMouf: 12:45am On Dec 30, 2015
They are yoruba for sure. Same atrocious cuisine and affinity for dirtiness.
Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 3:47am On Dec 30, 2015
superduperjay:
sister u mean? Can you butress with pictures of historical place, monuments, sites etc I still feel more research has to be done about OKUN people.
Yes, sister i meant... ill keep this thread open and ill keep uploading the pics

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by boluwatife66(m): 3:54am On Dec 30, 2015
BigMouf:
They are yoruba for sure. Same atrocious cuisine and affinity for dirtiness.
I sense hate...you need to check it brother. it is called ethnocentrism. before coming to the north, i use to believe northerners are the dirtiest in d world. Only to hear an hausa man refer to a yoruba man as "mai kashi a kwano" which means those who excreate in plates. now tell me brother, who is now the dirtiest btw them? same goes to the igbo, tiv, ibira and other minority tribes in naija. we all think we are bta than our neighbours

19 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by mayorski22(m): 5:34am On Dec 30, 2015
love that
Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Sall(m): 6:07am On Dec 30, 2015
Okun all the way .

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by hatux: 6:39am On Dec 30, 2015
I love okun people, they're the best; kind hearted, intelligent,mild, everything.

And if you from okun, you can try download okun by jaywon I promise you gon love the song like ...#shoutout to all my okun friends and all okun people in the house, you guys are the best!

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Nobody: 7:14am On Dec 30, 2015
Proudly Okun from Ijumu L.G.A.
I keep being my awesome self and making Okun proud anywhere I find myself. Compliment of the season to all Okun son's and daughter' on Nairaland....One love!

Mod... lalasticlala, pls move this thread to front page.

6 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by harjayi(m): 7:28am On Dec 30, 2015
Proudly an OKUN boy from YAGBA WEST, OKOLOKE in EGBE. if you are fro YAGBA WEST hit like

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by tayooluwole: 7:29am On Dec 30, 2015
HermajestyQ:
Proudly Kabba Lady. Wish to marry a Kabba/ okun man some day

Oooohhhhh my lady...or better still you marry form osun, oyo, lagos, ondo, ekiti, kwara....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by tayooluwole: 7:31am On Dec 30, 2015
Some typical yoruba in my hood here in osun state, way never travel before they always think say na hausa people full kogi state and kwara state... I no blame them sha, I only blame the people way carve my yoruba poeple under north and their level of exposure...

9 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by Dosinspector(m): 7:31am On Dec 30, 2015
When re we(yorubas)reclaiming our territory in north(kwara state)?

2 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of OKUN - The Yorubas In Kogi State. by tayooluwole: 7:36am On Dec 30, 2015
Dosinspector:
When re we(yorubas)reclaiming our territory in north(kwara state)?

I smell hatred in your blood

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PSC Fires 7 Senior Police Officers, Demotes 10 / Buhari Will Teach World Leaders How To Manage Economy During Pandemic: Adesina / DSS Feeds Igboho’s Aides With ‘Engine Oil’ Soup – Pelumi Olajengbesi, Lawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.