Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,098 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? (57025 Views)

Buhari’s Plans For Niger Delta, Militants — Osinbajo / Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Is Next For SE Nigeria? / Senate To Suspend Two Senators Sworn In for Niger South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by FisifunKododada: 7:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
willow0801:

Say what ever you like, one thing for sure, igbos are one of the most beauty endowed ethnic group in africw but truth be told, yorubas lack beauty, even if they are black, does it mean u should be ugly, but NO! ur tribe's case is different, everyone is very ugly!

I spit on ur tiger clawed scarred face. Rubbish!

cool Look at this beautiful Igbo woman - Indeed you are correct Igbos are beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by wristbangle: 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
Ilovemystate:

Anambra home of indigenous industries

Ogun is also home of indigenous industries brother. cool
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by unstableaswater: 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2015
FisifunKododada:

cool Look at this beautiful Igbo woman - Indeed you are correct Igbos are beautiful.

If your not igbo and obessing over our women then you are a yorubastard.

Go and obsess over your yoruba women, abi their pus.sy is stinking ni?

yoruba stinking puss
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by unstableaswater: 7:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
Igbo women are more than beauty, they are our mothers, sisters and daughters.

Try and comprehend that fact.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by TheDevilIsALai: 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
django1:

Just because there are big companies in Ogun doesn't mean there are no local manufacturing companies there too, they are just too small to be of any consequence, same would have applied if those your small shoe makers are in ogun too, they wouldn't count. Smh. Na una wahala sha.

Those so called small businesses provide direct employment to the masses .

The US did not become big by big business but from small businesse.

China opened her borders for commercial investments in the early 70's mainly in the garment industry. Mom and Pop sweat shops dotted China which will later make almost all apparel sold and worn in the US from China.

Sony started as a small family business , today it is recognized global brand.

You can not learn to walk with somebody carrying you. You must make those awkward baby steps on your own

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by tzoracle: 7:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
As an igbo who grew up in the south south
I would say karma
Cos the common ss man despises anything to do with igbo.
On the other hand as for akwaibom state I don't know about other ss states,they are developing that state without much publicity. Building world class infrastructures,with enugu,calabar and akwaibom not counting abuja as the capital,tourism could form the bulk of these states IGR. Only if we had a conducive environment and forward thinking minds

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
temidayodamoye:
Does diversifying the Economy literally mean oil will be useless? I don't think this is the first time the industry (oil) would be experiencing low price. Tho, it might never be as worse as it is presently. We can't discard the role crude oil in the global Energy sector. Even If the price of oil go as low as $20/bbl, am pretty sure it would still go back to the average price it used to before, that is what makes it unique ( volatility of price).
#note: i'm not from the ND

Pls are u listening to d idiots masturbating on this thread? The only time crude oil/natural gas will become irrelevant is d day the world finds a safer, cheaper alternative source of energy.

Im happy theres low demand on crude, maybe they'll stop eating its proceeds. We should think of refining our own crude, get our own products and satisfying our own demand. We have enough crude to turn into products and sell to ourselves and to neighbouring countries and then to store in reserve (like every other sane country does). But no, we have to sell cheap crude at market price and then import refined products at high market prices which we then have to subsidize d shit out of b4 we can even afford it. Our leaders are f***ked.

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by MrAnalyst: 7:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
fx45:
Aren't there Igbos in the Niger-Delta?

I've noticed a sad trend here. Many non-igbo Niger-Deltans are SO pained Igbos have a claim in ND. It's inflicts more pain on them than hurt oil. I just advise them to accept it,Igbo is a majority tribe. Nothing can be done about it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by wristbangle: 7:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
django1:

Just because there are big companies in Ogun doesn't mean there are no local manufacturing companies there too, they are just too small to be of any consequence, same would have applied if those your small shoe makers are in ogun too, they wouldn't count. Smh. Na una wahala sha.

No mind dem.

Ayoola Limited, Animal care Ltd, Indomie, Ajanla(CHI group), etc. These are indigenous oo. Shey dangote cement at Ibese, ogun, abi others to b mentioned

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by simplibaba(m): 7:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
NakedEve:

Islam is directly proportional to violence and violence is directly proportional to underdevelopment in the region.
So it is safe to say Islam brings underdevelopment cos there must always be violence.

Bravo!!!!!!!!! You think you making sense for condemning a religion right? You are the best of mankind for being a christian right? I weep for my generation
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by wink2015(m): 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2015
[size=18pt]Former Governor Ibori and Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta state never built any industry for the 16years of their misrule and now oil money is getting reduce.

Governor Uduaghan took it as a slogan " delta beyond oil" but never put any industry on ground to prove his slogan.[/size]
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
MrAnalyst:

I've noticed a sad trend here. Many non-igbo Niger-Deltans are SO pained Igbos have a claim in ND. It's inflicts more pain on them than hurt oil. I just advise them to accept it,Igbo is a majority tribe. Nothing can be done about it.

LMAO! See what is making a human being proud in the 21st century. I cover my face in shame for u & ur people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by unstableaswater: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2015
[size=18pt]With the exception of yorubas.

Nobody go say their mama soup no sweet.

As an Igbo guy, i prefer this our sister with hyperactive hormone to any woman of other tribes, especially the yoruba women.

Quote me if am wrong, but she is happily married. She is an absolutely beautiful igbo woman. If you doubt am, make we organise beauty contest now, she go beat all the women from ofema.nu(aka yoruba) land.

Na the same yoruba man posting her picture up and down this thread go deliver his life saving to marry her daughter if we permit.

[/size]

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by MrAnalyst: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2015
Amberon:
Lmao.... pls where in the entire SE is more developed than PH, Warri, Uyo or Calabar... lmao. and pls don't tell me how PH is igboland. SS is also the most sustainable region in Nigeria by a large margin.

Hmmmmm. Highly debatable comment. Have you been to Enugu Metropolis recently. You won't believe it. Enugu can rival some names on that list.

3 Likes

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by gbrown(m): 7:26pm On Dec 30, 2015
asorocker:
The decline of the oil industry is going to be worse on the states of Lagos and kano.

Lagos because an analysis of the igr of Lagos shows that Lagos derived it's revenue from the income tax and the income tax bulk is from the oil workers whose offices are in Lagos.
The oil and gas component of the Lagos igr is more than 40% of the igr. Income tax paid by high earning oil and gas industry executive who gross average of N5m monthly has helped Lagos

Secondly kano will be the worst hit as the only state whose take home is equivalent to the take home of niger delta states with their 13% derivative.

Kano doesn't have the human capital to generate income tax.

Third state /city is Abuja. It is said that Abuja was built with oil money, where would the money to sustain and maintain Abuja come from if not the same money from niger delta.

Some states like kwara, benue, adamawa can easily with agriculture fight the downturn of their economy, how would sokoto, yobe, jigawa whose populace don't farm and whose land is far from economic centres for export of agricultural products survive.

The next in line are the hausa cities of katsina, batching, kaduna who benefitted from the lopsided federal allocations. Now that the oil wealth is going and there is no human capital we hope they will not turn to insurgency as a means of raising attention and revenue.

The states that would enjoy and be kings in the new dispensation.

Anambra, Nigeria's brain box and commercial hub will have its non oil economy growth unequalled and unrivaled. Anambra survived with no oil allocation managed the little it had and built an enabling environment for investments.

Akwa Ibom, this state was blessed with resources and good managers who used it very well to grow infrastructure and are currently working on a sea port.

Abia this state hosts aba, Nigeria's city of enterprise and football, aba is living beyond oil already.
sorry bro you missing it, the northeast will not suffer, borno state will not suffer, they will fall back to agriculture, in poka there is abundance of onion and carrots, at baga town fishing biz is a multi million naira biz, most of those dried fish you see around are maiduguri fish, do you also know that most of the donkeys you see at obollo afor in enugu and agbor in delta are sourced from borno state? Kano,jigawa are rich in onion,tomatoes,beans,rice,goats and cattle,sokoto,zamfara,kaduna and nassarawa are rich in precious stones,gold,zinc, do you know kaduna is responsible for 60% of ginger grown in Nigeria? Apart from jos plateau, zaria in kaduna supplies a large chunk of Irish potatoes, bro i can go on and on, no state will suffer in Nigeria if crude becomes valueless, so get your facts right.

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by 100freekiss: 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
jstbeinhonest:

Save the rants for someone else,your silly self said why would rich people go to lagos and not dubai ignoring the fact that the commercial market in lagos is larger than that of dubia.Only stupid peeps from rural areas would prefer administrative cities(abuja),to commercial cities(lagos).The person you quoted said lagos needs more middle class and rich people than those liabilities that were deported.Admit it!,he/she is right.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
Indomie and chi group indigenious? Mr Linus they are not owned by nigerians
wristbangle:

No mind dem.

Ayoola Limited, Animal care Ltd, Indomie, Ajanla(CHI group), etc. These are indigenous oo. Shey dangote cement at Ibese, ogun, abi others to b mentioned
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by ACM10: 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
Nigeria will find it difficult to fund its military, which will weaken them.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
FisifunKododada:

Pls dont let me start, u re taking pictures off the internet, if u piss me off, ill walk down the street and take pictures of ur Yoruba women !

Dont just start

1 Share

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by SUBWAY101(m): 7:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
TheDevilIsALai:

Same here bro

Albino, I laugh when you try to deceive gullible people that you are not Ibo, you should learn to be brave and stop denying your tribe. You have been busted here many times, cowards dont end well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Litmus: 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
[size=18pt]Restrictive Ethiopia cuts an economic dash[/size]

"I retired at 24," says Samuel Alemayehu, as we look out over the vast, stinking rubbish mountain in the heart of Addis Ababa.

Birds shriek as they swoop down to collect items from the heaps of waste. Human scavengers, faces grey with dust, pick through the filth.

All this against the background of a modern cityscape, the skyline thick with construction cranes as the capital's building boom races on.

Samuel, who does not look much older than 24, tells me how his family went into political exile in the US when he was a child. How his father, who was an MP in Ethiopia, had to become a taxi driver.

But Samuel was exceptionally bright and ended up with a scholarship to study engineering at the prestigious Stanford University. He made his fortune in Silicon Valley while still a student.

"It was time to go home. To use my resources and knowledge to do something for my country," he said.

For all his talk of retirement, Samuel is a very busy man. He is building Africa's first waste-to-energy plant where the city's rubbish will be burned at a temperature of up to 1,800 degrees Celsius and converted into 185 million KW of electricity.

He is one of a group of dynamic entrepreneurs who are helping to usher in a new era of rapid economic growth in what was once one of the world's poorest countries and where the political system is tightly controlled.

Samuel says once the facility is operational, it will be able to supply power to more than 30% of Addis Ababa's households, no small feat in a city with a population of four million.

There is an urgent need to increase the power supply, which is currently failing to keep up with Ethiopia's rapid economic growth of more than 10% a year for the past decade.

The focus is on renewables. The most ambitious project is the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, which will be Africa's largest source of hydroelectric power.

The dam has generated much controversy because of the forced movement of people and because Egypt, which is downstream, is worried it will restrict vital water supplies.
Working conditions

After my tour of the energy facility, I visit another entrepreneur, Harsh Kothari.

Although he is Indian, Harsh is in some ways more Ethiopian than Samuel. His family has been in Ethiopia for four generations, he was born and educated in Addis Ababa, and speaks fluent Amharic.

"See that girl?" he says excitedly, as we drive past a child in her school uniform. "She is wearing my shoes.

Again and again, we pass people wearing shoes made in Harsh's factory, from bright orange flip-flops to trainers made from local leather.

The shoe factory is magical. Barrels are piled high with pigments and chemicals. Whirring, hissing machines heat and mix the plastic. Workers cut, stitch, lace, check, bag and box the shoes.

My favourite place is the invention room, occupied by a solitary Indian wearing thick glasses. He is glueing strips of different coloured rubber together and playing about with strap widths to create unique flip-flop designs.

This locally managed factory is giving the Chinese shoe factories in Ethiopia a run for their money.

I'm told the Ethiopian workers in the Chinese factories are unhappy with the more rigid working conditions and the requirement that they sing not only the Chinese national anthem every morning but the factory anthem too.
Ambitious plans

It also fits in with Ethiopia's aim for manufacturing to lead the economy in 10 years' time.

Twelve giant industrial parks are being built as part of this plan, including the "green" clothing and textile complex known as Hawasa-Eco.

Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn pointed out to me the potential benefits to his country of rising labour costs in China: "More manufacturing can relocate from China to Ethiopia so it's an advantage in that sense."
Ethiopia's economy:

Witnessed rapid economic growth, with GDP growth averaging 10.9% between 2004 and 2014
World Bank says this has lifted the country from being the second poorest in the world in 2000 to becoming a middle income country by 2025, if current growth trajectory continues.
80% of population of about 90 million is dependent on agriculture
GDP for 2014 was $55.61bn
Ethiopia currently experiencing worst drought in 50 years, says Save the Children
Ethiopian electricity is among the cheapest in the world, if not the cheapest
Second five-year Growth and Transformation Plan will focus on manufacturing, agricultural transformation and development of the export sector

Back in central Addis, I visit a man who could easily pass for an Ethiopian, although his surname suggests otherwise. Vincent Diop is in fact half Senegalese, half Dutch.

"I grew up here. Ethiopia is in my blood. I feel at home here. I left Holland, where I had a thriving business, to set up a similar operation here, offering services to people through their mobile phones."

Vincent is keen to take advantage of the rapid growth in mobile phone use, which increased fourfold between 2011 and 2015.

According to Ethiopia's second five-year Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP2) 90% of the population will have mobile phones by 2020.

Young staff in white shirts and brightly coloured ties dart about the cluster of buildings that make up Vincent's business.

Those in yellow ties work for the mobile payment section, those with green ones for the Ethiopian equivalent of eBay, turquoise represents the jobs section, purple is legal advice and blue is for health.
Dynamism and creativity

Although their backgrounds are so different, Samuel, Harsh and Vincent represent the part of Ethiopian life where dynamism, creativity and an adventurous spirit are allowed to thrive.

The political space is far more restrictive. Human rights groups have recently condemned what they describe as the use of lethal force against those protesting against the expansion of Addis Ababa into land they see as rightfully theirs.

Opposition party members, journalists and bloggers are frequently jailed. Even the Ethiopian government looked a little sheepish when the ruling EPRDF party and its allies won every single seat in this year's parliamentary election.

The economy is also tightly controlled, especially the banking and telecoms sectors. But growth is impressive, GDP per head has risen by close to 150% in the past decade and the government has stated Ethiopia will become a middle-income country by 2025.

I asked one of the main architects of Ethiopia's economic transformation, the minister and special adviser to the prime minister, and author of the recent book Made in Africa: Industrial Policy in Ethiopia, Dr Arkebe Oqubay, whether the country's vision is a fantasy.

"I don't have any illusion that this will be achieved," he said.

"But it requires extraordinary effort to sustain such rapid growth and transformation."

Two African countries which have undergone serious conflict in the recent past and are now doing well in terms of economic growth and lower corruption rates are Ethiopia and Rwanda.

Is it a coincidence that both, especially Rwanda, are highly disciplined and place severe restrictions on political and media freedom?

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by emmysoftyou: 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
explorer250:

And i hope you have a boundry definition of what you call Niger Delta. The oil politics that divided igboland will soon be over and the boundry between igboland and your Niger delta(mainly ijaws) will be drawn.

I thank God my people has always been proud of their igboness despite being in Rivers state. The future holds good for us as igbos with the help of our naturally endowed "survival instincts/spirit"

we are developing.
We are expanding.
We are progressing.

Lest i forget. Obigbo is the satelite town of porthacourt. We are doing Good Infrastructurally and otherwise.
What does the future hold for polluted ijaw land?

Wasnt igboland producing palm oil?

Dont igboland have a seaport at porthacourt?

Somalia has the longest coastline in africa but where are they?

Doesnt igboland have more gas reserves and solid minerals than ijaw land?

Dont we have the human resource?

You once said that igbos lack bargaining chips, so what will be your peoples bargaining chips when pure water is more costly than toxic crude?

We are majorities, we can never loose in this game just like the yorubas and hausas though we have our political differences with them. Minority will always remain minority, they will continue to be pawns in the cheese board of Nigeria

You know what? Eurobomber was right!
no bro. Pezienza was right.
Nice comment
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by TheDevilIsALai: 7:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
SUBWAY101:

Albino, I laugh when you try to deceive gullible people that you are not Ibo, you should learn to brave and stop denying your tribe. You have been busted here many times, cowards dont end well.

Ok ohh.

I am Ibo in your living nightmare of losing oil money

Crass rat
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by wristbangle: 7:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
FisifunKododada:

Hahahahahaha grin

Wahala don enta this thread oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by SUBWAY101(m): 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
TheDevilIsALai:

Ok ohh.

I am Ibo in your living nightmare of losing oil money

Crass rat

M.oronic nitwit, you have been busted here several times, man up and stop disgracing your family. Coward switching monikers from revdesmondjuju, backdatassup e.t.c.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Ilovemystate: 7:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
kazuna:

One can never be proud enough
If there's such a thang as reincarnation, I would love to come back as an Anambra being.
My brother I love Anambra die, we are blessed.
Anambra state one of the leading state in rice production in Nigeria open the pages to feed your eyes.

God really blessed Igbo nation
https://www.nairaland.com/2805432/pic-anambra-employ-5000-workers

https://www.nairaland.com/1930337/anambra-statelight-nationeconomic-political-power/362

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by banio: 7:36pm On Dec 30, 2015
I see jealousy and hate in this post. I wonder why it made FP. This post should have been discarded by moderators. Somebody will be abusing and saying a region in Nigeria is lazy umpteenth of times. Its so sickening
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by FisifunKododada: 7:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
unstableaswater:

If your not igbo and obessing over our women then you are a yorubastard.

Go and obsess over your yoruba women, abi their pus.sy is stinking ni?

yoruba stinking puss

cool Let's take a look again...shall we?

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by TheDevilIsALai: 7:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
SUBWAY101:

M.oronic nitwit, you have been busted here several times, man up and stop disgracing your family. Coward switching monikers from revdesmondjuju, backdatassup e.t.c.

Coward ? Why should I be afraid posting my views here?

Is it now dangerous to ciritisize the govt on social media?

I laff?

Those handles have been banned for life. I deativated them so that seun will not use it to increase his member base.

The igbophobia that is worrying you is real ! You see igbos everywhere and are dead scared of seeing them progress light years ahead of you.

YAM

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by wristbangle: 7:39pm On Dec 30, 2015
DikeOha882:
Indomie and chi group indigenious? Mr Linus they are not owned by nigerians

Bros, haba. Check the major shareholders of the named company pls.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by kayfra: 7:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
This thread is officially now in the toilet.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply)

Video Of Nnamdi Kanu In 2012 Saying: "We Can't Allow Anyone Tear Nigeria Apart" / Mc Oluomo Bans Illegal Agbero Taxes In Part Of Lagos, Following Protest / Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists Drown In Lake Chad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.