Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,746 members, 7,837,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Baba Has Really Tried O! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Baba Has Really Tried O! (1313 Views)

Trending Photo Of Baba Buhari And Saraki / 100 Days Of APC Government; What Has Really Changed? / This Picture Of Buhari And His Wife Has Really Made My Day. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baba Has Really Tried O! by bolaoni(m): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2006
I have been an ardent follower of Naija's politics for some years now and I want to tell you that it has been a worthwhile experience.

Since the advent of our "nascent" democracy, it has been one form of comedy or the other and I have really enjoyed them all while they lasted.

One of the biggest comedies of this democracy is the issue of whether we have received the promised dividends of democracy or not. So many have voiced their opinions on this and this issue at times lead to unending arguments. Nairaland has not been an exception in this game. We have the Pro-Obasanjos and those who are die-hard anti-Obasanjo. Which camp do I belong to?

Well, looking back at the two terms that this nascent democracy, me think President Obasanjo has TRIED in so many ways. We have NEVER had it so good as a country. Ha, ha, why are we so ungrateful as a people. Baba Iyabo is trying his best and yet our eyes have been blinded to all the good works the Ota farmer is doing.

Before Baba came into power, there was nothing like GSM but Baba brought us GSM! Billions of Naira have been made off us as GSM users and yet we have to beg the operators to make their tariffs customer-friendly. We have to pay through our noses in order to make phone calls. In other places, the customer is always the king but in our dear country, it is otherwise. As a result of our plea to these vultures, we have been turned to night owls. We have to stay awake all night to enjoy free calls! grin I trust my people; they grabbed this dividend of democracy with all their might. I wonder how many will eventually be thrown out of employment, when all they do is sleep during the day to prepare for their free night calls.

The payment of debt is another area where I think Baba has really tried o. All thanks to him, we are debt free now. Our external reserve is being shored up to the detriment of our internal progress. I needed to be educated on the need to increase our external reserve when it has no effect on the citizenry. Tell an average man on the street we have billions of $$$ in our external reserve and hear what he will have to tell you. angry angry Mind you, we have to impress other countries and in this aspect, we have done so well. All we need do is tell them we increased our external reserve from $4b to $37b and that will really tell them poverty has reduced so much in our land.

This nascent democracy has produced so employments for the unemployed and this can also be attributed to Baba's ingenuity. The comedy business received a boost when Obasanjo came in. How many comedians did we have before this democracy was given birth to? The comedians saw so many comedies going on in high places and they decided to follow cue. It was first Buharigate then Torontogate came in.

How many of us remember the comedian Ojo Maduekwe. When this man was the minister of Transportation, he told us we need not rely so much on petrol-consuming vehicle; we can make do with bicycles! shocked He decided to set an example, but he was lucky to just escape with a broken arm on his first day of riding a bicycle to office. grin grin Who needs an Alli Baba or Basket Mouth when all you need is watch NTA News and watch unlimited comedy. grin grin grin I got tired of laughing and I decided not to watch NTA News any longer.

Talking about comedians in high places, I remember the first term when the issue of "Ghana-Must-Go" came up. ICPC has been formed then but yet, the people behind the ugly incidents couldn't be traced. The "unseen" hands were so perfect that they didn't leave any trace for them to be caught and brought to book. It is only in Nigeria that we use corruption to fight corruption. cool To catch a thief, you also have to be a thief or behave like one. Little wonder we got to a stage where our leaders are embarrassing us on the media, by exposing their dirty pasts. Do we even need to be told all these things before we know? I don't think SO! wink

Still talking about employment, have you notice the increase in the high demands for political jobbers especially thugs? Politicians always have somebody to deal with and there is need to employ some people to handle that. The good thing is that those who qualified for those kinds of jobs need not have any education at all, so it will be a waste of time investing in our educational sector. cheesy What of praise singers, they are very much in high demand. They also fall into the same category as the thugs; they need no academic qualifications. To make this set of people more desirable, their take home is not much, just #200 - #500! Why bother to create employment for a graduate that will be waiting for nothing less than #50k at the end of the month? cheesy

Can you imagine the good roads that we have to show as the dividend of democracy? World Class roads! wink The Benin-Ore road was so good that it can now swallow a luxurious bus! grin We need to give a standing ovation to our president and his team for a wonderful job. Somebody asked me if the gully on that road happened in a day and I was like may be. If the decay had been happening over time, then somebody would have noticed it. This is a road that has been contracted out for some years now and is yet to receive any attention. How many more of our roads are in such a wonderful condition? Gone are the days when armed robbers need to throw a spring at you so that they can rob you. The way things are, they just need to lie in wait at one of these gullies. smiley

Privatisation is one the major achievements of this government. President Obasanjo need not be reminded that other governments are still going to come after him. He has already seen himself as Naija’s life president so why worry about all these properties. The best thing is to dispose off all of them to the “not-so-private” hands. cool This government has succeeded in giving out nearly all the public properties/organizations to those that deserved them and that is a plus to Baba. Why should government have any property to their credit when there will be “credible” individuals/organizations that will manage them properly?

Obasanjo's achievements are just so much that I won't be able to mention all of them in just one post, but I think Baba has tried in our Educational, Agricultural and social sector. May be I will need to expand on all his achievements in all these areas later. If you think you can help me complete the task of celebrating our worthy leader, I won’t mind. wink

So to all the haters who think Baba has not tried, PLEASE learnt to shut your trap! lipsrsealed

Let us all join the train to celebrate Baba's ACHIEVEMENTS!
Re: Baba Has Really Tried O! by kitaun(m): 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2006
Get ready for tongues to start wagging against this your post o! tongue grin
Re: Baba Has Really Tried O! by bolaoni(m): 10:18am On Oct 25, 2006
Why now Kitaun?

That I said Baba has tried? Well let those who said he hasn't tried start bashing me o grin

I dey Kampe! wink
Re: Baba Has Really Tried O! by omofineboy(m): 2:13pm On Oct 25, 2006
may be u are not in this country, am suprised your profile read lagos, my advice is that you can start a campaign for OBJ for life.
Re: Baba Has Really Tried O! by mazaje(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2006
BABA don try ohhh make wuna give am props for moving the nation 7 years behind

(1) (Reply)

Electricity Tariff Goes Up By 100% Next March / Kogi State Law Makers Demand For 25% Of State's 2011 Budget (wtf, Like Father Like Son ?) / Tunisian Revolution: Can It Happen In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.