Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,533 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) (2164 Views)

2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details) / Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb / Driver Calls 911 While Going 100mph After His BMW X5's Throttle Gets Stuck (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 3:24pm On Dec 31, 2015
First of all,i Give thanks to almighty God the giver and taker of live for counting among the living soul today(31/12/2015)
Many people that we started the journey together could not make it,not that am perfect nor technical than them, but the grace of the lord keep me among's the living soul**Few nairalander understand what i mean by this praise**

i want to trade my Toyota Camry 2001 XLE +cash for Bwm X5 2003 i6 3.0d
how good is this SUV?
How availability is the spare part and if breaks down, where can i purchase/buy them when the need arise

Thanks for your concern, and happy new in Advance to you all
9hrs count down to 2016
Shalom
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 6:43pm On Dec 31, 2015
Gazzu,siena..please your attention is needed here

samally:
First of all,i Give thanks to almighty God the giver and taker of live for counting among the living soul today(31/12/2015)
Many people that we started the journey together could not make it,not that am perfect nor technical than them, but the grace of the lord keep me among's the living soul**Few nairalander understand what i mean by this praise**

i want to trade my Toyota Camry 2001 XLE +cash for Bwm X5 2003 i6 3.0d
how good is this SUV?
How availability is the spare part and if breaks down, where can i purchase/buy them when the need arise

Thanks for your concern, and happy new in Advance to you all
9hrs count down to 2016
Shalom

Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by nurey(m): 8:14am On Jan 01, 2016
This SUV is a good buy, since the engine is identical to the E39 5series. The petrol variant is top notch I have someone who used hers for years along side a 6series also (coupe) before she left my vicinity.

I heard the 3.0, is under powered compared to the 4.4 V8. The only issue I have with yours is the diesel engine, am not saying it is bad but I believe you should have a novice technicality on diesel engine before you embark on one. Also get advice from people using diesel engine cars in Nigeria, how they manage/boost the octane rating inorder not to affect the delicate injectors
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by 9icetoo(m): 9:16am On Jan 01, 2016
as long as the engine has been well maintained, its a good buy. diesels traditionally last longer than petrols so your engine should hopefully still be in good condition. its not a fast car by any means and not a slouch either. same 0-60 time as most cars. the economy trumps that o the petrol version and its quiet as well. you wouldn't really know its a diesel unless you are told or you listen closely. stay clear of quacks if you buy it. it shares the same parts as the petrol versions apart from the engine and brain box. it also shares parts with the LR3. so parts a re readily available. I drive a diesel and I will tell you I am enjoying it. have covered 500 kilometers this Xmas with a lot of short distance driving and idling and I haven't exhausted half of my tank yet. just Mae sure you replace diesel filters when due and oil change and thats about the only maintenance you will be doing. happy motoring.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 11:28am On Jan 01, 2016
@Nurey..
thanks for your opinion.....I currently own Renault Espace 2005 Diesel for family use.....
no complain yet from my wife close to 4month now, The last time we spoke about the mpv she said,Full tank will last her for 40days with AC..iyana ipaja-Vi..though am still thinking how possible is this..because since they delivered the vehicle have not been around for test drive or inspection...

i currently worked on diesel powered machines....so, i believe the firing order should be the same...

Back to the Topic...
Another thing am considering now is the spare part since it share the same with LR3.....expensive i guess

nurey:
This SUV is a good buy, since the engine is identical to the E39 5series. The petrol variant is top notch I have someone who used hers for years along side a 6series also (coupe) before she left my vicinity.

I heard the 3.0, is under powered compared to the 4.4 V8. The only issue I have with yours is the diesel engine, am not saying it is bad but I believe you should have a novice technicality on diesel engine before you embark on one. Also get advice from people using diesel engine cars in Nigeria, how they manage/boost the octane rating inorder not to affect the delicate injectors
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 11:29am On Jan 01, 2016
9icetoo:
as long as the engine has been well maintained, its a good buy. diesels traditionally last longer than petrols so your engine should hopefully still be in good condition. its not a fast car by any means and not a slouch either. same 0-60 time as most cars. the economy trumps that o the petrol version and its quiet as well. you wouldn't really know its a diesel unless you are told or you listen closely. stay clear of quacks if you buy it. it shares the same parts as the petrol versions apart from the engine and brain box. it also shares parts with the LR3. so parts a re readily available. I drive a diesel and I will tell you I am enjoying it. have covered 500 kilometers this Xmas with a lot of short distance driving and idling and I haven't exhausted half of my tank yet. just Mae sure you replace diesel filters when due and oil change and thats about the only maintenance you will be doing. happy motoring.

Thanks for sharing your own point of view...
how about the cost of spare part?
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by 9icetoo(m): 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
samally:

Thanks for sharing your own point of view...
how about the cost of spare part?
the parts you will be replacing maybe regulars like ball joint, shocks, tie rod ends, linkages, bulbs, radiator fans or fuses. these are fairly cheap to obtain in second hand or you bite the bullet and buy brand new which will last ages. its a 13 year old car so second hand parts will be plenty and cheap. funny enough when you go to the market to buy a part for an x5 and tell them its for an x5, the price will be cheaper than when you tell them same part is for an LR3. naija factor.

2 Likes

Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 12:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
Thanks my brother....
I think i will carry on with the deal and update the out come here...
i won't mind buying Spare Engine and gear including Turbo incase from Abroad, because there is no plan of selling yet..
so, am prepare to use them till the SUV fall apart...
did you have anyone selling this part? market and contact cell# if possible...

Shalom

9icetoo:

the parts you will be replacing maybe regulars like ball joint, shocks, tie rod ends, linkages, bulbs, radiator fans or fuses. these are fairly cheap to obtain in second hand or you bite the bullet and buy brand new which will last ages. its a 13 year old car so second hand parts will be plenty and cheap. funny enough when you go to the market to buy a part for an x5 and tell them its for an x5, the price will be cheaper than when you tell them same part is for an LR3. naija factor.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by nurey(m): 3:43pm On Jan 01, 2016
samally:
@Nurey..
thanks for your opinion.....I currently own Renault Espace 2005 Diesel for family use.....
no complain yet from my wife close to 4month now, The last time we spoke about the mpv she said,Full tank will last her for 40days with AC..iyana ipaja-Vi..though am still thinking how possible is this..because since they delivered the vehicle have not been around for test drive or inspection...

i currently worked on diesel powered machines....so, i believe the firing order should be the same...

Back to the Topic...
Another thing am considering now is the spare part since it share the same with LR3.....expensive i guess

I like people with balls and I can say you got a lot of it. I also wish we will be friends so you can help me out when I buy my diesel powered ride, lol.

I don't know the extent to which the X5 shares part with the LR3 but you can find out. The major thing is to buy a clean title ride, most major compalints come from injectors of diesel so you can buy extra injector instead, the X5 isn't common like before but that's due to Nigerians shying away from German cars, but I believe getting parts shouldn't be an issue, what I can't guarantee is if the petrol variant parts can work with the diesel.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 4:36pm On Jan 01, 2016
All there part are the same expect the Engine and tranny
i was'nt the person that decide on the Renault...my wife just fall in love with the toys inside...since she said Toyota siena is not good for her...
And no complain yet...is still quiet and good

Correction regarding the fuel..1full tank and half for 40days.....

nurey:

I like people with balls and I can say you got a lot of it. I also wish we will be friends so you can help me out when I buy my diesel powered ride, lol.

I don't know the extent to which the X5 shares part with the LR3 but you can find out. The major thing is to buy a clean title ride, most major compalints come from injectors of diesel so you can buy extra injector instead, the X5 isn't common like before but that's due to Nigerians shying away from German cars, but I believe getting parts shouldn't be an issue, what I can't guarantee is if the petrol variant parts can work with the diesel.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by nurey(m): 5:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
samally:
All there part are the same expect the Engine and tranny
i was'nt the person that decide on the Renault...my wife just fall in love with the toys inside...since she said Toyota siena is not good for her...
And no complain yet...is still quiet and good

Correction regarding the fuel..1full tank and half for 40days.....

Since you have decided I guess no going back, but check the forum on the X5 to know common issues it develops. Also we don't measu fuel with days bu rather distance covered divided by litres bought/used
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2016
Nope have not decide yet on this SUV....that is why am presenting the issue to you bosses in the house
But, the main issue is that am not gonna buy any gasoline/petrol base engine for now..either SUV/SEDAN

Her daily commute is close to 80km by 40=3200km.......
meaning 95litres of diesel will last her 3200KM **i doubt till i confirm this myself**

The issue with Generators and power plant mostly are turbo and bad injectors

I can deal with this.....

MORE OPINION PLEASE

nurey:

Since you have decided I guess no going back, but check the forum on the X5 to know common issues it develops. Also we don't measu fuel with days bu rather distance covered divided by litres bought/used
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by 9icetoo(m): 9:54am On Jan 02, 2016
samally:
Nope have not decide yet on this SUV....that is why am presenting the issue to you bosses in the house
But, the main issue is that am not gonna buy any gasoline/petrol base engine for now..either SUV/SEDAN

Her daily commute is close to 80km by 40=3200km.......
meaning 95litres of diesel will last her 3200KM **i doubt till i confirm this myself**

The issue with Generators and power plant mostly are turbo and bad injectors

I can deal with this.....

MORE OPINION PLEASE

most diesel generator operators have massive tanks which accumulates water at the bottom over time. some of these operators don't have drain valves installed on these tanks to drain out water periodically cos they do not want employees to steal diesel from there. like I posted sometime ago, I have seen a lot of them washing and refitting diesel filters. this practice is what kills injectors. if I feel the diesel in a filling station is poor, I buy one liter in an Eva bottle and allow it settle. if I spot particles or bubbles (water), I buy the quantity I need in a 50 litre keg, take it home and filter it in my makeshift backyard filter. its messy but rather that than cough out over 100k for a set of injectors. the best bet though is to buy diesel from a reputable filling station.
to preserve your turbo, let the car idle a while after a hard drive before shutting the ignition.
I doubt your wife covers 3200 kilometers on 95 litres though. that car would have been the highest selling car if that was possible.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by nurey(m): 11:36am On Jan 02, 2016
9icetoo is right on the litre thing that's approximately 33km/L I think that's exorbitant for that ride, lol, also he has given you the best way to maintain a diesel vehicle you are good to go if you have more positive info on the X5.

Also you don't need to worry about turbo, the 3.0d isn't turbo charged I guess.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 2:53pm On Jan 02, 2016
Well.....just as i said
the MPG is unconfirmed yet since i did not confirm it myeslf.

Thanks for the insight on how to maintain diesel...well, regarding the filter and turbo issue maintainer i will handle that myself
and for the diesel the best company selling diesel is CON OIL there diesel is the best!

9icetoo:

most diesel generator operators have massive tanks which accumulates water at the bottom over time. some of these operators don't have drain valves installed on these tanks to drain out water periodically cos they do not want employees to steal diesel from there. like I posted sometime ago, I have seen a lot of them washing and refitting diesel filters. this practice is what kills injectors. if I feel the diesel in a filling station is poor, I buy one liter in an Eva bottle and allow it settle. if I spot particles or bubbles (water), I buy the quantity I need in a 50 litre keg, take it home and filter it in my makeshift backyard filter. its messy but rather that than cough out over 100k for a set of injectors. the best bet though is to buy diesel from a reputable filling station.
to preserve your turbo, let the car idle a while after a hard drive before shutting the ignition.
I doubt your wife covers 3200 kilometers on 95 litres though. that car would have been the highest selling car if that was possible.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by nurey(m): 3:14pm On Jan 02, 2016
samally:
Well.....just as i said
the MPG is unconfirmed yet since i did not confirm it myeslf.

Thanks for the insight on how to maintain diesel...well, regarding the filter and turbo issue maintainer i will handle that myself
and for the diesel the best company selling diesel is CON OIL there diesel is the best!

I thought Zenon was the best in diesel, which is now Forte oil, my guess though. Also is the X5 3.0d a turbo charged diesel?
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by Coldplay007(f): 3:56pm On Jan 02, 2016
grin...
Very few Nigerian BMW enthusiasts will touch a BM diesel engine with a long pole..
You my friend are very brave.
Seek out the BM thread on NL...
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by nurey(m): 4:17pm On Jan 02, 2016
Coldplay007:
grin...
Very few Nigerian BMW enthusiasts will touch a BM diesel engine with a long pole..

Happy new year ma, where have you been all this while, I guess you are hiding due to your defeat hehe how is the Avalon. lol
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 4:26pm On Jan 02, 2016
No sir, it's It use Turbo charge

nurey:
9icetoo is right on the litre thing that's approximately 33km/L I think that's exorbitant for that ride, lol, also he has given you the best way to maintain a diesel vehicle you are good to go if you have more positive info on the X5.

Also you don't need to worry about turbo, the 3.0d isn't turbo charged I guess.
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 4:29pm On Jan 02, 2016
Nope, the best diesel is Con Oil....
but, the marketers do miss it up some times...

nurey:

I thought Zenon was the best in diesel, which is now Forte oil, my guess though. Also is the X5 3.0d a turbo charged diesel?
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2016
Ok i will do that

Coldplay007:
grin...
Re: How Good Is BMW X5 2003 (DIESEL 3.0d) by samally: 7:24pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good evening to you all

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of Ford Edge Booth And Bumper / What To Do When A Tyre Bursts At High Speed / How To Remove A Snake From Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.