Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,280 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb (14952 Views)

Acura ZDX, Honda Crosstour And The BMW X5 / 2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details) / Ford Sues John Cena For Selling High-End Car Within A Month Of Purchase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Automotive1(m): 1:44am On Mar 27, 2018

A New York man’s N25.2 million ($70,000 ) dream car turned into a nightmare when his luxury ride’s self-closing door cut off his right thumb.

61 year old Godwin Boateng, a software engineer ended up having to carry his chopped thumb into the emergency room after his BMW X5’s SCAD sensor (Soft Closing Automatic Doors) activated the electric motor and shut the driver’s door on top of his thumb. After inspecting the finger, doctors concluded that it could not be reattached.

According to his Brooklyn federal suit, He was out to meet a friend for dinner on July 6, 2016 and was standing outside his BMW SUV with his right hand rested on the driver’s door column.

Godwin Boateng demonstrates how his BMW's self-closing door severed his thumb

“With the front driver’s door slightly opened , the SCAD [Soft Closing Automatic Doors] sensor activated the electric motor, which pulled the driver’s door firmly, and not ‘so softly’ snapped through the flesh, nerves, blood vessels, tendons, musculature and bone structure of Boateng’s right thumb". The suit also accuses BMW of knowing SCAD had faulty sensors, yet didn’t do anything to warn customers.

Boateng said that even after two surgeries, his hand remains swollen. While part of his right thumbnail has grown back, he sometimes wears the fake finger because the tip is still sore and sensitive.

Sometimes it feels like someone is putting knives in there. It’s painful beyond believe". He also reveal that since he’s right-handed, he struggles with performing basic tasks like fastening buttons on shirts, tying his shoes and typing.

The disfigurement has also affected his work, as he’s often now too embarrassed to give presentations.

Boateng, who at first was excited to have a feature such as SCAD on his car, is now suing BMW for unspecified damages, while BMW's legal council declined to comment on the matter.

Source https://autojosh.com/man-sues-bmw-after-x5s-automatic-soft-self-closing-door-cut-off-his-thumb/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by 6660M0666: 3:24am On Mar 27, 2018
Wise Man....turning a setback into a comeback.
Attempting to make a fortune from a misfortune...Kudos!

I am still watching TECNO like..

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by talk2rotman(m): 7:03am On Mar 27, 2018
eeyyyaaa.....sorry. wen everything around u is automated....u gat to be expecting automated happenings.

3 Likes

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Iseoluwani: 7:06am On Mar 27, 2018
grin

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Nnemuka(f): 7:07am On Mar 27, 2018
BMW X5, i have that car for sale at a cheap price and i promise it wont hurt any one grin
Car is in Lagos and up for inspection.

https://www.nairaland.com/4416205/2003-green-bmw-x5-sale
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Nobody: 7:07am On Mar 27, 2018
E yaa. Such a pitiable abysmal.

1 Like

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by tokrizy: 7:10am On Mar 27, 2018
oh :ooh
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by symbianDON(m): 7:13am On Mar 27, 2018
what was his hand doing there? BMW should sue him for carelessness

8 Likes

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Weareone202: 7:18am On Mar 27, 2018
[center][/center] grin grin[center][/center] grin
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by soberdrunk(m): 7:19am On Mar 27, 2018
I want to sue Kia for not putting airbags in the 2008 Kia rio, abeg any lawyer here that can handle my lawsuit? angry

1 Like

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by integritylady(f): 7:35am On Mar 27, 2018
lol
this is so hilarious
sue them and collect your money I love countries like this
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by kullozone(m): 7:36am On Mar 27, 2018
Dwarf thumb... Funny shiismiley
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by isax(m): 7:44am On Mar 27, 2018
Pele
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by swift25(m): 8:20am On Mar 27, 2018
Whats the point exactly? Must your door close automatically, cant you use your hand to close your hand to close the door. must every thing be automatic, unneccesary effizzy,special effects, abeg collect your money, every kobo ov it.

3 Likes

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 27, 2018
dem americans so lazy, you cant drive stick, so they make auto and you complain, they make google car you complain, now they have to make cars thsy can close doors cos ur too lazy to shut the doors, serves em right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by viceddy95(m): 8:30am On Mar 27, 2018
Na wah for dis man oo.
Is there an automated magnet in his hand that was attracting it to the automatic door.....
BMW should sue this man for three things.
(1) carelessness

(2) incase he argues that he was not careless. .

(3) for suing them..

1 Like

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Xisnin(m): 8:51am On Mar 27, 2018
quentin06:
dem americans so lazy, you cant drive stick, so they make auto and you complain, they make google car you complain, now they have to make cars thsy can close doors cos ur too lazy to shut the doors, serves em right.
Mr. Hard worker, shouldn't your hard work reflect on your country?
It will be naive for a construction labourer to think the engineers are lazy because
they can't even lift a block.
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 27, 2018
Xisnin:

Mr. Hard worker, shouldn't your hard work reflect on your country?
It will be naive for a construction labourer to think the engineers are lazy because
they can't even lift a block.

i see ,designing a vehicle that chops off a drivers thumb is your idea of good engineering, abi.
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by aku626(m): 9:00am On Mar 27, 2018
I wonder why they had to make use of that technology when you’re not trying to create a vacuum. When I first saw it I was wowed but there should be an option to deactivate it. Normal closing door on your finger is hell on earth talkless of it crushing your hand
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by aku626(m): 9:01am On Mar 27, 2018
quentin06:
Obvious You don’t know how the door works.
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by DavidEsq(m): 9:09am On Mar 27, 2018
soberdrunk:
I want to sue Kia for not putting airbags in the 2008 Kia rio, abeg any lawyer here that can handle my lawsuit? angry
Oya les be going to court sharply cheesy
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 27, 2018
aku626:

Obvious You don’t know how the door works.

am not interested in how it works, its just another example of useless bavarian engineering.
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Xisnin(m): 9:11am On Mar 27, 2018
quentin06:

i see ,designing a vehicle that chops off a drivers thumb is your idea of good engineering, abi.
Yes, it is an example of great engineering as such designs have made life
better for the citizens of the world unlike those who have to import machines from
china before they can manufacture an HB pencil.
Before you reply, please come up with a "good engineering design" that cannot kill
under all circumstance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by soberdrunk(m): 9:19am On Mar 27, 2018
DavidEsq:

Oya les be going to court sharply cheesy

I want to sue them for 5billion and i can only you give you "1%" of this money, you agree abi i should find another lawyer?
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by DavidEsq(m): 9:21am On Mar 27, 2018
soberdrunk:

I want to sue them for 5billion and i can only you give you "1%" of this money, you agree abi i should find another lawyer?
1% of 5bn. He he. Oya les be going na

1 Like

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 27, 2018
Xisnin:

Yes, it is an example of great engineering as such designs have made life
better for the citizens of the world unlike those who have to import machines from
china before they can manufacture an HB pencil.
Before you reply, please come up with a "good engineering design" that cannot kill
under all circumstance.

I hear you mr KILLER ENGINEER, Nigeria doesnt neef your kind of engineers, we have enough already.
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Xisnin(m): 10:00am On Mar 27, 2018
quentin06:

I hear you mr KILLER ENGINEER, Nigeria doesnt neef your kind of engineers, we have enough already.
Where are the products of your Nigerian engineers?

1 Like

Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by candyguyofficia(m): 11:03am On Mar 27, 2018
viceddy95:
Na wah for dis man oo.
Is there an automated magnet in his hand that was attracting it to the automatic door.....
BMW should sue this man for three things.
(1) carelessness

(2) incase he argues that he was not careless. .

(3) for suing them..

shocked
Your first point though typical Nigeria mentality even though am Nigerian. Don't you know you (customer) have rights? protected by constitution.
@bolded you funny, how can BMW sue d man for suing them. There is right to fair hearing n to be held out by all necessary means as long as its within the law
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by Richdad50(m): 11:30am On Mar 27, 2018
WILL YOU KEEP KWAYET
Re: Man Sues BMW After X5's Automatic 'Soft' Self-Closing Door Cut Off His Thumb by viceddy95(m): 12:22pm On Mar 27, 2018
candyguyofficia:

shocked
Your first point though typical Nigeria mentality even though am Nigerian. Don't you know you (customer) have rights? protected by constitution.
@bolded you funny, how can BMW sue d man for suing them. There is right to fair hearing n to be held out by all necessary means as long as its within the law
jst joking bro,,,
jst writing for writing sake,,,, but at a time I guess d man was careless.....
but y u cum take am serious, are u related to the man....

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Documents Every Driver MUST Have / 10 Of The Lowest Rated Cars In 2017 – Consumer Reports / Volvo Mechanic / Service Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.