Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 (40645 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / Common English Errors We Make During Conversation / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by harry509: 9:36am On Jan 01, 2016
Jackter101:

Wetin make I do now. Na new year. Make I laugh
abeg laugh jare...
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Fkhalifa(m): 9:36am On Jan 01, 2016
I ill also like to chip in this.

The use of "used to"

it is used for something you no longer do or do a lot in the past e.g I "used to," slaughter Ram on new year days...√ correct

This shows you no longer slaughter again

Rather tham saying "I used to eat cake on mondays" intending it to mean an everyday activity.× wrong

Instead you say I do eat cake on mondays√
meaning you do it continously.

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 01, 2016
So true......

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by charleschazzyna(m): 9:40am On Jan 01, 2016
I could use them correctly before now.

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Tongsman(m): 9:42am On Jan 01, 2016
DICKtator:
Nansense!!!!!

Common!! Man your not making any sense with this post.

I would suggested you found something doing and lose yourself in it instead of these poo you typed!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Gbagaun! Gbagaun!! Gbagaun!!! at the bolded.

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 9:47am On Jan 01, 2016
harry509:
abeg laugh jare...

Thanks jare. God bless you
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 01, 2016
Funny thread with funny "grammarians".

Chicagoesontop:

I Like This Post, This Means You Are A Grammarian Like Me .. I Love People Who Knows How To Use English .. Mercy Johnson Is Is A Grammarian Too !!

It's "I love people who know. ...." .

Happy New Year!

dancok:

am a grammarian too, where is your alma Matta?

"I'm" or "I am" starts a sentence and not "am".

Now, don't tell me it's a shortened version cause it's simply ridiculous.

Happy New Year to you too!
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by PromiseJonah(m): 9:52am On Jan 01, 2016
Jackter101:
These errors are very common
The first one is using the word "common" instead of "come on".
The 2nd is using "loose" instead of "lose".
The 3rd is using the word "your" instead of "you're". Y
I concur On to the Next one!

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Evina(f): 9:54am On Jan 01, 2016
charlesikhalea:

Oga Grammarian, its " I love people who KNOW how to use english"....... Before we correct people let us make sure we know what we re talking about... Thank u

@ the enboldened, isn't it an irony? grin It is it's not its.
Happy new year.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Evina(f): 9:56am On Jan 01, 2016
Fkhalifa:
I ill also like to chip in this.

The use of "used to"

it is used for something you no longer do or do a lot in the past e.g I "used to," slaughter Ram on new year days...√ correct

This shows you no longer slaughter again

Rather tham saying "I used to eat cake on mondays" intending it to mean an everyday activity.× wrong

Instead you say I do eat cake on mondays√
meaning you do it continously.

I eat cake on Mondays.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by dancewith: 9:57am On Jan 01, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Been vs Being. So many guilty of this error on Nigerian social media.

Even our newspaper reporters. It's pathetic

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by philclem(m): 10:06am On Jan 01, 2016
cheesy
Chicagoesontop:
I Like This Post, This Means You Are A Grammarian Like Me .. I Love People Who Knows How To Use English .. Mercy Johnson Is Is A Grammarian Too !!
end time grammarian cheesy
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by philclem(m): 10:09am On Jan 01, 2016
ote author=dancewith post=41541711]

Even our newspaper reporters. It's patetic[/quote] bros me sef tire oo......a lady or a guy will form all the phonetics in the world and end up mixing this two verbs oo shocked

1 Like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Daraph(m): 10:10am On Jan 01, 2016
You wants to know the differences between "Their,they're and their" and how they are being used. Add me up on Facebook @Olorundare Oluwagbemiga Raphael and check my timeline.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 10:15am On Jan 01, 2016
Evina:

@ the enboldened, isn't it an irony? grin It is it's not its.
Happy new year.

hahahahaha. Bushmeat don catch the hunter
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 10:17am On Jan 01, 2016
BornSad:

Happy New Year!

HAHAHAHA, This cracked me up, another hunter has been caught by the bushmeat
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by AreaFada2: 10:19am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

It can't be true that graduates don't know these things.

I make a lot of mistakes, 95% are due to being in a hurry or the typing prompts you have in smartphones.

I guess most people know.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by AreaFada2: 10:23am On Jan 01, 2016
BornSad:

Happy New Year!

Lol.

That's always the case. The more you look for the speck in your brother's eyes, the more the agbalumo trees in your own eyes get bigger and produce delicious fruits.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Bishops10(m): 10:26am On Jan 01, 2016
omusiliyu:
[size=28pt] Am and I'm[/size]

Let blame social networks for that

Sir please elaborate on this,I think *I'm guilty of this.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:
Mercy Johnson? Probably not. cheesy
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:30am On Jan 01, 2016
CountDracula:
4th is using "who" instead of "whom" web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html
expplain pls
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Pamelayoung: 10:37am On Jan 01, 2016
dancy65:
HEART TOUCHING STORY!!!
This one cuts deep inside,will make you cry..!!
--------------------------------------------------
[size=23pt]The Love Story of a Unilag Babe and Bus Conductor[/size]

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Something interesting happened on my way to Oshodi this
morning. At the park this rough mean-looking conductor
also known as “agbero” in Yoruba was screaming for
passengers, his vernacular oscillating between Yoruba and
pidgin English.
“Oshod! Oshod!” He shouted angrily as I along with some
other passengers scuttled for seats. There was this beautiful
young lady who couldn’t throw caution and decorum to the
wind but waited patiently until the bus was almost filled.

Then she pleaded to sit by the agbero until somebody came
down then she would pay for a proper seat.
The agbero didn’t even look at her pretty face, he hissed and
shouted to the driver to move that why didn’t she rush when
others were rushing. The girl started pleading in Yoruba and
clean ‘oyinbo’ english; “please, ejó, help me out sir, I know
you are a good man, never mind all this shout you have
been shouting (people burst into laughter). Let me sit by
your side please”.

Finally with much squeezing of face the agbero relented and
she sat beside him. It was a tight squeeze but she didn’t
complain but rather started praising the agbero.
He in turn started teasing her, speaking (and sometimes spitting by
mistake) into her face but the girl never looked away, she
never let the smile leave her face. He asked her where she
worked and she replied that she was a student in the
University of Lagos (UNILAG) studying accounting.

He teased her in Yoruba about her boyfriend and car (maybe asking
why her boyfriend didn’t drop her at her destination…she
laughed it off and continued to gist with the guy in Yoruba.
[/b]
Click Here to Continue Reading................

Yeye dey worry u. Finish ur godamn story here
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Titidi(f): 10:48am On Jan 01, 2016
People type 'am' when they actually mean "I'm"
He's and his
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by palibc: 10:50am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:
grammarian, a part of your grammar lacks concord: "I Love People Who Knows How To Use English."
It should be- I Love People Who "Know" not "Knows"
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by fizzy94(m): 10:54am On Jan 01, 2016
omusiliyu:
[size=28pt] Am and I'm[/size]

Let blame social networks for that
It's "Let's" and not "Let"
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by emi14: 10:59am On Jan 01, 2016
Good and informative
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by 247Dior(m): 11:08am On Jan 01, 2016
smiley
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 11:26am On Jan 01, 2016
charlesikhalea:

Oga Grammarian, its " I love people who KNOW how to use english"....... Before we correct people let us make sure we know what we re talking
about... Thank u

Oga Charles, i still maintain that i love people who KNOWS,how to use English, it's a pity you are not in that category of people who knows the use of English, you can't take me off my track, please talk to your English teacher and find out what i meant by people who Knows !!! Thank You Too.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by agentakins: 11:26am On Jan 01, 2016
Are people really making these kind of errors? shocked
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by frenchboy(m): 11:35am On Jan 01, 2016
Grammar no b my lang...
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 11:42am On Jan 01, 2016
kennygee:

Gbagaun gbagaun.

When I Say People Who Knows, I Mean People That English Runs In Their Gene .. Sorry You Are Not One Of Them !!!
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by tomdon(m): 11:49am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

nonsense!
so what's special about the three errors which the OP wants to correct that then makes him a grammarian?
I think you're the type that can make such blunders as pointed out by OP
mcheeew

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Umaru Shehu, Biography Of First Professor Emeritus In Northern Nigeria (photos) / Friends Who Study Together Graduate With First Class Together (Photos) / Ogun Schoolgirls Turn Smokers, Teachers Lament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.